hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Aiden McGeady

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2 quarters don't make a half??? Go back to school numbskull
    You still think McGeady is half Irish, born in Scotland with both scottish parents? You might want to think about that before you call anyone a numbskull 👍

2. Log in to remove the advert

Ridiculous people not wanting a player at Hibs because of which country he choose to represent. It’s a personal choice and no one had the right to question it, I’m sure he had his own reasons and quite frankly it’s been justified what would he have experienced with Scotland. Fair enough people who don’t want him for his ability but some of the other reasons I feel are poor. We wouldn’t want an ex Jambo, wouldnt and an ex hun, wouldn’t want someone who criticised Hibs at some point in his career, wouldn’t want a lower league player, now wouldn’t want a player who choose Ireland over Scotland wff 😂 you see it all on this site that’s for sure

Given what seems to be going on in the 'United Kingdom' tonight, an Irish passport seems like a barry idea. I do wonder if McGeady would have faced the same vitriol if he'd been eligible and chosen to play for, say, Wales rather than Ireland? In fact, I don't really wonder.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    You still think McGeady is half Irish, born in Scotland with both scottish parents? You might want to think about that before you call anyone a numbskull 👍
    Do I have to spell it out FFS???

If your dad's mum and dad are both Scottish then your dad is 100% Scottish by blood. Therefore you are at least 50% Scottish by blood regardless of where anyone else comes from. Do you get it now - numbskull?

If your dad's mum and dad are both Scottish then your dad is 100% Scottish by blood. Therefore you are at least 50% Scottish by blood regardless of where anyone else comes from. Do you get it now - numbskull?
    What if the dads dad is from Sweden?

Left by mutual consent!

So if Aiden McGeadys kid is fathered by him and a Scottish lassie, because his (Aidens) mum and dad are Scottish (fact) the kids 100% Scottish but Aiden himself is 50% Irish aye because his dads parents are Irish?

I’m out this convo’ McGeady is a Celtic minded, kiddy on Irish traitor and past his best.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Given what seems to be going on in the 'United Kingdom' tonight, an Irish passport seems like a barry idea. I do wonder if McGeady would have faced the same vitriol if he'd been eligible and chosen to play for, say, Wales rather than Ireland? In fact, I don't really wonder.
    Yep, the agenda isn't really that far from the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Some pretty poor comments in this thread. McGeady is a talented player and would significantly improve the Hibs team if he signed.

As for as his international career, he chose the country he felt more of an identity towards and, reading some of the comments on here, it's easy to understand his decision.

In return he was rewarded with 90+ caps and played in two major finals tournaments - that's more caps and more finals tournaments than any other Scottish born player has managed this century. Hibs would be lucky to have him if Jack Ross was able to get him in.
    Hear hear. Some extraordinary posts.

Flipping fascists.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    I’m sure you would have felt the same if Robbie Keane decided he was more English back in the day.
    Well I don't think he qualified to play for England so it's not really relevant.

However FWIW there are a lot of good Irish born young players of Nigerian descent currently coming through the Irish youth systems. Some are choosing to play for Ireland, some want to play for Nigeria, others are undecided. Obviously I'd prefer them to play for Ireland but I wish them all the best regardless of which country they choose.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    What’s the difference between Ireland and Wales like? Both would be turning their back on their country. In fact the only difference is there’s no a football club in Scotland who consider themselves welsh and who’s support would rather wales win than Scotland.

Left by mutual consent!
    Well I don't think he qualified to play for England so it's not really relevant.

However FWIW there are a lot of good Irish born young players of Nigerian descent currently coming through the Irish youth systems. Some are choosing to play for Ireland, some want to play for Nigeria, others are undecided. Obviously I'd prefer them to play for Ireland but I wish them all the best regardless of which country they choose.
    That’s fair enough, if someone is brought up in a country regardless of where born then of course you want to play for that country you’ve grown up on, with your friends and life.

McGeady was born in Scotland, grew up in Scotland, lived in Scotland, played for a Scottish football club yet decided he wanted to play for Ireland. Yet nobody should have an issue with that? His link was his parents parents and singing party songs at Parkhead. That’s all. Summer holidays too. How the **** is that being a patriot?

Left by mutual consent!
    That’s fair enough, if someone is brought up in a country regardless of where born then of course you want to play for that country you’ve grown up on, with your friends and life.

McGeady was born in Scotland, grew up in Scotland, lived in Scotland, played for a Scottish football club yet decided he wanted to play for Ireland. Yet nobody should have an issue with that? His link was his parents parents and singing party songs at Parkhead. That’s all. Summer holidays too. How the **** is that being a patriot?
    It was his choice ultimately. I see where you're coming from though as it's open to argument.

I’d give him a six month deal until the end of the season. See what he’s got.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar

Give it up mate. It was his call. Not yours. Or should he have checked in with you first? Hibs are an inclusive club founded by immigrants, tolerant of all, judgemental of none (except Jambos maybe.)

If you didn't manage to vote BNP or Brexit Party or Tory or whoever else uses rhetoric like 'traitor' today then that's up to you. My kids are half Scottish, half English, part Irish, and have German passports. They could play for any of them. Might need to seek your approval if any of them ever get really good at football.

@hibs.net private member

Who cares...how Australian is Boyle? How Albanian is Kamberi ? It’s just a football decision...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Who cares...how Australian is Boyle? How Albanian is Kamberi ? It’s just a football decision...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Exactly......nationality isn’t a biological thing..It’s something created & decided by people.

2 quarters don't make a half??? Go back to school numbskull
    Haha, it doesn't in this case, mathematically it does but not in your genealogy, you cannot add 2 granddads and make you half Irish, you can only be half Irish if one of your parents are Irish, both McGeady's Parents are Scottish, this makes him 100% Scottish.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

What about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish? I know they were both brought up in England but both played under age internationals with Ireland. In terms of Mcgeady of course it was his choice however as a Scotsman it was disappointing to me that talents like Mcgeady and McCarthy chose to play for Ireland rather than the country they were born and brought up in especially given our lack of talent pool. Their decision was years ago though so time to move on.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    What about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish? I know they were both brought up in England but both played under age internationals with Ireland. In terms of Mcgeady of course it was his choice however as a Scotsman it was disappointing to me that talents like Mcgeady and McCarthy chose to play for Ireland rather than the country they were born and brought up in especially given our lack of talent pool. Their decision was years ago though so time to move on.
    My kids are born and grow up in England. I’d be the most proud parent in the world if they chose to play for Scotland.

It’s not all black and white. My boys are massive Scotland fans, despite having English accents.

J

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlienDoidge9
    What’s the difference between Ireland and Wales like? Both would be turning their back on their country. In fact the only difference is there’s no a football club in Scotland who consider themselves welsh and who’s support would rather wales win than Scotland.
    Not to get to technical but the difference between Wales and Ireland is Ireland are actually a country where as Wales are not a country they are Principality

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    My kids are born and grow up in England. I’d be the most proud parent in the world if they chose to play for Scotland.

It’s not all black and white. My boys are massive Scotland fans, despite having English accents.

J
    Totally agree my brother has 2 sons also who have stayed in England all their life and they are the same.

We’re averaging 2 goals a game for about the last dozen matches. A winger is not what we need in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    We’re averaging 2 goals a game for about the last dozen matches. A winger is not what we need in January.
    No, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt sign a winger if one comes available that would improve our team.

So if Aiden McGeadys kid is fathered by him and a Scottish lassie, because his (Aidens) mum and dad are Scottish (fact) the kids 100% Scottish but Aiden himself is 50% Irish aye because his dads parents are Irish?

I’m out this convo’ McGeady is a Celtic minded, kiddy on Irish traitor and past his best.
    Hibs should definitely stop signing Catholics...

By apparently missing my point, you then go on to help reinforce it. Thanks.

McGeady chose Ireland to represent his Irish Grandad. So, he could be proud of his grandson. No harm in that.
    McCarthy chose Ireland, because Scotland repeatedly overlooked him at youth level.
    McTominay chose Scotland to represent his Scottish Dad. None of us are complaining about that.

Are we going to boo Celtics new wonder kid for choosing England over Scotland?

End of the day it’s up to the individual and what country they feel more passionately about. Or what nation gives them the best chance of being chosen to represent.

P.S I don’t want Hibs to sign McGeady.

I like turtles

Islam Feruz chose Scotland and I'll be forever grateful

Unless mcgeady is willing to take 25k a week wage cut he isn’t coming to Easter road

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Some very weird posts on here, a traitor!! He didnt go out and give out state secrets to the kgb, he chose to play for another country at football. If he did sign for us and helped win us a cup or get us into europe then all these posters who are getting ridiculously annoyed would no doubt be delighted