hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Aiden McGeady

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I generally have the server choose my food for me in restaurants so I occasionally end up eating the stuff, not inedible but a reeeeaaalllllyyyyyy long way from Haute Cuisine
    You're doing it all wrong - you're supposed to have it cauld

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Given that he is still a reasonable player and that Sunderland are desperate to get promoted I am more concerned about why he has been kicked out of the squad.
    Attitude it seems. Also he was a massive fan of Ross but clashed with Parkinson.
    Having watched him here at Sunderland I really hope he doesn't end up at Hibs, talent is not in doubt but only when he wants to and most definetly isn't a team player.
    Seems his mate Chris Maguire may be joining him in leaving in January.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He's not been playing well recently, even if he is still accepted to be a good player.

I don't think he's really taken to their new manager - he seems to be a bit like that. Loved Grayson, signed from Preston to play under him, took the huff under Coleman and was very critical of him on the Netflix documentary. Loved Jack Ross and had a real purple patch under him then signed a new contract to stay there. Since Ross left he's been in the cream puff.

He sounds like he's pretty high maintenance, Sunderland have dressing room issues and they have a manager who likes a particular type of character playing for him.

I think there have been a few recent flashpoints - he's questioned the manager once or twice in front of the other players and it hasn't gone down well.

The best reason sounds hilarious tbh. He was snapped in a McDonalds with Chris Maguire a few weeks ago after a bad result - a bit like a Hibs player being snapped up George Street after a bad result, and it led to a bit of a meltdown amongst the fans about their professionalism (Maguire gets a bit of abuse for being out of shape). Some of the other players piled McDonalds boxes up around his locker for a joke, he chucked a strop and it led to another battle amongst the players.

Surrounded by the right players and under the right manager I think he'd be fine, but he sounds like a right deva to me and would be a risk.
    The strop he threw because of Macdonalds boxes is true, mind I have to say I do find it quite amusing.
    Especially so if rumours of him being a bit of a bully with junior players are true.

Left by mutual consent!
    If he signs a short term deal until the summer I think that could work for us, and Aiden. Could be the difference between European football or not....

Jist sayin likesay

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    You're doing it all wrong - you're supposed to have it cauld
    Cauld grits? That's just nasty.....😜

Pay as your fit deal would work, short term deal. Mcgeady would still do some damage in this league. Yes from me.

Apologies if already mentioned, but does he still play wide with his advancing years or central?

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    What about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish? I know they were both brought up in England but both played under age internationals with Ireland. In terms of Mcgeady of course it was his choice however as a Scotsman it was disappointing to me that talents like Mcgeady and McCarthy chose to play for Ireland rather than the country they were born and brought up in especially given our lack of talent pool. Their decision was years ago though so time to move on.
    I have no issue with Grealish and Rice playing for England if that's who they prefer to play with. They qualify for both countries so they have the choice. As did Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney among others. To be fair to them it's common enough for a player to jump about nationalities at underage level, nationality is not always as clear cut as a lot of people think. Especially in Ireland where everyone born on the island qualifies for both ROI and NI, and a huge number of people in the UK qualify to play for Ireland, you get a lot of switching about.

The only issue I would have personally is that Rice accepted senior caps with us. Fair enough, he was young, but I think once you are capped at senior level for a country that should be it. However that's just my opinion and it's not what the rules say.

Grealish would have 30 caps by now if he stayed with Ireland. He's uncapped for England despite switching. However if he feels more English he was right to switch and I am glad he did so before he won any senior caps for Ireland.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Martin Boyle, Kamberi are completely different situations, they have been overlooked by their national sides and decided to sample international football for another country, I don’t think Boyle is a proud Aussie or Flo’ is suddenly Albanian. Similarly there’s no issue with Owen Coyle or Ray Houghton choosing to play for Ireland when deemed not good enough for Scotland. I wouldn’t even pass judgement on a footballer born in one country and brought up in another deciding to play for whoever he likes. It’s the actual fact that the player in question was born in Scotland to Scottish parents, lived in Scotland his whole life, was wanted by Scotland to play football for us and decided to play for a foreign country he’s never lived in or born in or to make his parents proud as they where from that country. How the **** that makes me racist or anti catholic I’ve genuinely no idea but that’s me out this conversation of a past it trouble making player that even Celtic fans don’t like anymore. Give me Stokesy back any day of the week, oh no, that won’t suit some people stereotyping me incorrectly.
    Your argument now seems to be that it would have been fine for McGeady to play for Ireland if he was *****, but it's not OK because he is a good player? Your position seems very inconsistent on this.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Your argument now seems to be that it would have been fine for McGeady to play for Ireland if he was *****, but it's not OK because he is a good player? Your position seems very inconsistent on this.
    No, it’s pretty straightforward - if a player wants to play internationally for another country if not selected, nah forget it.

Hopefully we get Dylan from Sunderland.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    No, it’s pretty straightforward - if a player wants to play internationally for another country if not selected, nah forget it.

Hopefully we get Dylan from Sunderland.
    McGeady grew up wanting to play for Ireland. There are lots of clips of him in an Ireland strip as a young lad. He played underage football for Ireland for years before Scotland got interested when he looked good enough to make it as a full internationalist.