hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Is there an afterlife

I often think about this, but I don’t really know why. I don’t believe in god, so obviously I don’t believe in heaven. I also can’t take the scientific point of view that it isn’t possible as science is only based on what we know to be possible now. My gut feeling is that it’s a human need to think that death is not the end, but as we’re the first species on this planet to be able to understand what death means it seems logical to try and convince ourselves that it’s not the end.
    What happens after we die is a basis of how many people live their lives, but is it correct or even credible?

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I don’t believe there is

We live in the memories of family as far as probably grandchildren and our close friends. Apart from that just dust.

It's an interesting question and one that I often think about.

Whenever religion is raised in conversation I often step back as it's increasingly common for people just to be quite insulting about it. I'd probably describe myself as an 'agnostic Catholic' if that isn't too much of an oxymoron. The truth is I just don't know if there's a God and in turn an afterlife. It's a very unfashionable thing to say but I love the traditions of the Catholic liturgy, I'm increasingly fascinated by the scripture and the different theological interpretations of it. I also like the community aspect of belonging to a church and have seen first and second hand how comforting that can be at times of difficulty. In saying all that I don't live my life in fear of being judged nor do I worry that when it's over then it's over.

One of the arguments I often hear aimed at people with a faith is that they are 'scared of death'. On a personal level I'd dispute that. I'm not afraid of death as such. Best case scenario is there is a benevolent God and I spend eternity in heaven. On the other hand there is nothing, lights out and that's it. In which case, much like before I was born, I'll know nothing about it. What's there to fear? What I do fear, to an extent, is the dying process but I don't think that's exclusive to those of faith, to agnostics or to atheists. No one wants to suffer and I'm certain all of us will feel a level of anxiety when we reach the point at which our mortality becomes a reality.

In answer to your question I just don't know. On some days I feel a pretty powerful certainty that there is a life after death. On other days I agree with your gut feeling that it's a need to convince ourselves. There's only one way to find out and I hope I don't for quite a while yet.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    I find the idea of any sort of "eternity" to be a horrifying prospect. Hopefully it's very much lights-off when the time comes. None of the options are particularly appealing though, so I tend to try not to dwell on it too much.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    My experiences tell me no. Not in this dimension anyway

For one as "an island", no, I - and rather more importantly science - don't think there is. Death is the end. But the memory of you in tales and recollections of your nearest and dearest lives on long after you're gone. Unless you were an insufferable **** of course

But there's no afterlife where we all get to head down ER, stand on the old East Terrace and watch the Famous 5 strut their stuff or whatever.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    I read sonething about quantum theory the other day...fascinating stuff. Issues of life and death mixed up with our existence in different dimensions...dead in one, alive in another....as PB says..we'll find out one day!😁
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read sonething about quantum theory the other day...fascinating stuff. Issues of life and death mixed up with our existence in different dimensions...dead in one, alive in another....as PB says..we'll find out one day!
    Life on Mars.

I deal with death regularly. I think the best we can hope for is to make a difference when here. Try and leave a mark and die as quickly and painlessly after a long life as we can.

I don't remember before I was born I'm not sure Ill know I'm dead.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

If there is it's being kept a big secret.

I heard recently that you die twice. First, you actually die, then the second time you die is the last time your name is ever uttered.

We’ll all have ancestors that there are no records of and who have been long forgotten.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in future as we have more information recorded than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I often think about this, but I don’t really know why. I don’t believe in god, so obviously I don’t believe in heaven. I also can’t take the scientific point of view that it isn’t possible as science is only based on what we know to be possible now. My gut feeling is that it’s a human need to think that death is not the end, but as we’re the first species on this planet to be able to understand what death means it seems logical to try and convince ourselves that it’s not the end.
    What happens after we die is a basis of how many people live their lives, but is it correct or even credible?
    I don't think you have to believe in a Creator to think that there may be some form of life after death. Our spirit might live on in other ways. I'm open to the idea. The fact that we exist at all is a miracle to me so why couldn't our thoughts, memories, dreams etc continue to live on in some celestial form of the cloud?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I'm not religious at all but my Dad who died just over a year ago was and I take some comfort from the fact that if he was right and I'm wrong then he can sense the pain I'm still feeling.

I'm trying not to let him down by giving him something to be proud of.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I heard recently that you die twice. First, you actually die, then the second time you die is the last time your name is ever uttered.
    I heard that line at a funeral a couple of weeks ago.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post

I don't remember before I was born I'm not sure Ill know I'm dead.
    It's as simple as that for me.

Does no harm to believe differently though, if it makes you feel better about death then that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I heard it at a course I was on, it was in relation to business and social media.

The idea behind it was that you need to be visible, to have a presence and to have people talking about you. If people aren't talking about you, are you even there?

I was quite bored at the time, drifted off and ended up thinking a bit too deeply about stuff.

There is something quite funny about the thought of a keynote speaker being paid a 5 figure sum to talk at a large event struggling for material to fill his section, attending the same funeral as you and thinking "f*** it, I'm having that".

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    It's the 2nd "death" that is more unpalatable to me personally. We'll all cease to be at some point, but how much of an impact will we have made on others during our stint on this earth is of more concern to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I heard it at a course I was on, it was in relation to business and social media.

The idea behind it was that you need to be visible, to have a presence and to have people talking about you. If people aren't talking about you, are you even there?

I was quite bored at the time, drifted off and ended up thinking a bit too deeply about stuff.

There is something quite funny about the thought of a keynote speaker being paid a 5 figure sum to talk at a large event struggling for material to fill his section, attending the same funeral as you and thinking "f*** it, I'm having that".
    Quantum theory again...if you dont see it, it doesnt exi😁st

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

It's a very good question with many ideas regarding it. I used to be a member of ghost hunting group going round old buildings etc looking for signs. I've seen and heard many things that can't be explained by science or logic but it makes you query these things even more. I've seen shadows moving, heard footsteps when no one is there, intelligent knocks to questions asked, voices recorded when none were heard at the time and also voices heard that were disembodied. Now even after experiencing all that I'm still a bit sceptical because we still have no solid proof. The most common theory is after we go we leave behind an electrical energy that attaches to objects/buildings etc, some seem to be intelligent, with being residual and don't interact. It's a superb question and one I cannot answer but I think it's down to the individual as to how you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It's as simple as that for me.

Does no harm to believe differently though, if it makes you feel better about death then that's great.
    Nobody can remember being a week old but you were alive.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 10-12-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Nobody can remember being a week old but you were alive.
    But it’s a fact you were alive. Whether you remember it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    But it’s a fact you were alive. Whether you remember it or not.
    That's kind of the point though. People often say life will be exactly the same as before they were born and imply that means nothing as they have no recollection of life before birth , my point is you have no recollection of the first year or so of your life but you were were alive.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Having been in Greyfriars churchyard at 21:30 tonight I hope that the afterlife were tucked up in their resting places.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    That's kind of the point though. People often say life will be exactly the same as before they were born and imply that means nothing as they have no recollection of life before birth , my point is you have no recollection of the first year or so of your life but you were were alive.
    Yeah but what I’m saying is it’s irrelevant if you can remember your time in the womb, your first month, first year, or even your first few. You existed. It’s not a matter of opinion.

You can’t remember anything before you were born because there was nothing, you didn’t exist.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Your heart stops, you brain activity stops and thats it, you're then either barbecued or buried.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Your heart stops, you brain activity stops and thats it, you're then either barbecued or buried.
    Please, get it right, barbecued or planted. 😉
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

I reckon you come back as someone else. Knowing my luck I'll be a jambo next time.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    We quite often hear the term "what is the meaning of life" well not meaning to be negative but the meaning of life is death as its the only sure thing that will happen to all living things. The real question is what is th meaning of death?!?!

Our beautiful world is full of contridiction, everything exists at the expense of something else. One being kills anoher to survive, even plants fight for daylight. Just what is the purpose if any?

I enjoyed the Matrix movies, perhaps we are all just running an elaboate computer programme

Personally I dont subscribe to any conventional religion.

Live your life to the full.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I reckon you come back as someone else. Knowing my luck I'll be a jambo next time.
    Levein must have been a german....continuing his losing streak🙄

I don't think so. People need comfort so I don't think it's a bad thing for them to believe in. There's a tribe somewhere that cart their dead to the top on a hill and leave them to nature knowing that the birds will get them, digested and end up fertilising the plains. I like that concept

I read an article about an old Scandinavian woman that they had been carrying out research on they had said that there was something in the body/brain you are born with. As you progress through life they die off to the point where, well, we die
    Last edited by Fuzzywuzzy; 12-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.