hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (Aberdeen 07 12 19)

I think I can confidently say that not many of us saw that coming! At times we rode our luck a bit but to counter that we played some lovely football in spells too. Aberdeen did what they always do in adopting a policy of ‘if you can’t get the man get the ball’ as they fouled their way through the ninety minutes.

With Newell still absent, Jack Ross made a couple of changes by bringing Rocky back in goals and replacing Slivka with Mallan in midfield. It was a no brainer for me in terms of the keeper change as Maxwell’s horrendous error for the first goal in Dingwall could not go unpunished. Bringing Mallan in resurrected the question as to whether he and Allan could play in the same team and I confess, my first thoughts were that our midfield didn’t look to be physical enough but they coped admirably as it turned out. I was pleased too to see Fraser Murray making the bench.

The first half was not great and the conditions didn’t help if truth be told. What we got for the most part was a series of errors from both defences. Paul Hanlon had a bit of a nightmare and was bailed out on several occasions by Porteous. Stevenson looked less assured than normal and Naismith had his hands full with the tricky Greg Leigh. At the other end, Boyle’s pace had them worried whilst both Doidge and Kamberi hassled and harried their central defenders.

On umpteen occasions the flow of Hibs’ play was disrupted by foul challenges and though free kicks were mostly given, I felt the referee took far too long to get his yellow card out. In terms of first half chances, Hibs had opportunities from two free kicks but hit the wall on both occasions. At the other end a shocking blunder by Hanlon allowed Cosgrove to run in on goal but Hallberg forced the striker to shoot early and his effort was well saved by Rocky who dived to his left to push the ball past the post.

The second half was much better from a Hibs point of view and they broke the deadlock around six minutes in when a magnificent through ball by Scott Allan set Boyle free of McKenna and in on goal. Drawing Lewis towards him he slipped the ball past him and into the net. Five minutes later Boyle might have had a second but his bullet from around twenty yards was saved by Lewis. It was all Hibs now and Allan provided a chance for Kamberi but the striker’s effort was saved.

At the other end, a somehow transformed Paul Hanlon made two fantastic interceptions, denying Cosgrove’s route to goal whilst Stevenson crucially blocked a low cross just before it reached Ferguson. At the side of the park the whinging Derek McInnes decided things needed changed and made an unusual triple substitution but within a couple of minutes his change backfired big style as Boyle raced on to a through ball before sweeping the ball low beyond Lewis.

I’ll be honest here and say that I wondered whether Hibs could keep a two goal lead but my concerns only lasted about five minutes as Allan and Kamberi combined on the left allowing the latter to skip past a couple of tackles before placing the ball beyond Lewis and into the bottom corner of the net. It was, like the first two, a lovely goal well crafted and well taken.

Hibs were content now to try and keep the ball but some dodgy clearances gifted it back to the Dons. Cosgrove should have scored when inside the six yard box but a quite wonderful block by Hanlon cleared the danger. The free scoring Aberdeen striker had another chance but headed his effort weakly into the arms of Marciano.

When the final whistle blew there was a roar of approval from the home stands and it was well merited too.

The players

Marciano – Rocky didn’t have a great deal to do but must have had his heart in his mouth following a poor clearance when he slipped when making contact with the ball but danger was averted.

Naismith – I keep reading he’s bang average but I beg to differ. He defended well and got forward on numerous occasions when Hibs were attacking.

Porteous – Excellent when he needed to be, especially in the first half and I confess he made me laugh when Hibs were 3-0 up, the ball went out for a throw and he politely asked the ball boy to take his time retrieving the ball.

Hanlon – I think the saying ‘a game of two halves’ sums up his day. He was scarily poor in the first half but much more like his old self in the second. Ryan bailed him out a few times in the first but he returned the favour in the second.

Stevenson – Like Hanlon but not nearly as bad he had a poor first half but a much better second.

Boyle – Martin started the game really well and in his 75 minutes on the park he terrified the Aberdeen defence and scored two cracking goals. Man of the match for me.

Mallan – My worries over the Mallan/Allan conundrum were unfounded as he had a fine game, working hard, getting challenges in and tracking his man.

Hallberg – I was surprised that a couple of folk near me felt he was poor. He made a few mistakes, none of them costly and there was far more to be positive about than negative.

Allan – Once again Scotty will go home battered and bruised but wow, what a shift he put in, including numerous passes that split the Dons defence.

Kamberi – I was critical of his performance in Dingwall but he was back at it today and I can’t wait to see his goal again as it takes something special to beat a keeper like Lewis from that distance.

Doidge – The scoring spree is over and although he never got a goal he contributed so much in his play by keeping the overrated McKenna busy ball afternoon.

Slivka – Replaced Hallberg and slotted in seamlessly. Late in the game a couple of lovely flicks had the fans gasping in admiration.

Jackson – Replaced the tiring Boyle and gave us extra insurance against the late collapse that has cost us so dear in previous matches.

Shaw – With Flo limping off, Oli got the last five minutes but in truth we’d done with attacking by that time so he didn’t see a lot of the ball.

Jack Ross – Will be delighted with the outcome and so he should be!

The fans – Out in great numbers and pretty vocal for the most part and I love that the ‘80 minutes on the clock’ mark brings out the Green and White Army chant.

The referee – I thought he was poor in the first half, letting Aberdeen away with far too much but he improved in the second and his booking of the Dons player for simulation was spot on.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Spot on JC. For me toss up between Boyle and Doidge for our MOTM. The big guy didn’t put a foot wring all day. Held it up well and won his share of header against his giant markers. He was a pest all day and gave Boyle and Kamberi the space to play. I thought the ref was probably in the ok category other than to lenient with the cards and pedantic positioning if free kicks and throw ins. A yard here or there makes no real difference other than breaking up the flow of the game and Aberdeen were doing that all on their own without any help.
    Last edited by greenlex; 07-12-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Good summary, thought Halberg wasn't as giid as he has been previously but still a great player. Like you if people are saying Naismith is bang everage then they need to give their head a shake. Porteous played like a captain today. Boyle was back to his scintillating best.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Rocky had a great double save in the first half JB . But other than that , I agree with your report .
    We have not beat them by three goals at ER since the famous five era .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    We are so lucky to have Allan. His vision is unreal. Agree that Slivka is now playing to his potential.

@hibs.net private member
    I thought Doidge was anonymous for most of the game. Agree with most of the points but would have given the MOTM to Kamberi who was excellent. Pass marks for the ref but the lady lino was poor missing offsides and a clear foul on Hanlon a yard away from her.

Agree with much of that but whilst Rocky didn’t have a lot to do he made 3 very good saves in the 1st half and handled 3 or 4 tricky, if routine, shots cleanly in the 2nd half.

Not a lot to do but what he had to do he did superbly.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Johnnyboy

Many thanks for taking the time to post

I thought Rocky was the busier keeper in the first half. Bar the me tioned clearance, he was very good.

Also don't agree Hanlon was scarily bad. He had a short spell when he was poor on 3 occasions but he bailed himzelf out on the 3rd time. Thought he was superb in the 2nd half. 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I can confidently say that not many of us saw that coming! At times we rode our luck a bit but to counter that we played some lovely football in spells too. Aberdeen did what they always do in adopting a policy of ‘if you can’t get the man get the ball’ as they fouled their way through the ninety minutes.

With Newell still absent, Jack Ross made a couple of changes by bringing Rocky back in goals and replacing Slivka with Mallan in midfield. It was a no brainer for me in terms of the keeper change as Maxwell’s horrendous error for the first goal in Dingwall could not go unpunished. Bringing Mallan in resurrected the question as to whether he and Allan could play in the same team and I confess, my first thoughts were that our midfield didn’t look to be physical enough but they coped admirably as it turned out. I was pleased too to see Fraser Murray making the bench.

The first half was not great and the conditions didn’t help if truth be told. What we got for the most part was a series of errors from both defences. Paul Hanlon had a bit of a nightmare and was bailed out on several occasions by Porteous. Stevenson looked less assured than normal and Naismith had his hands full with the tricky Greg Leigh. At the other end, Boyle’s pace had them worried whilst both Doidge and Kamberi hassled and harried their central defenders.

On umpteen occasions the flow of Hibs’ play was disrupted by foul challenges and though free kicks were mostly given, I felt the referee took far too long to get his yellow card out. In terms of first half chances, Hibs had opportunities from two free kicks but hit the wall on both occasions. At the other end a shocking blunder by Hanlon allowed Cosgrove to run in on goal but Hallberg forced the striker to shoot early and his effort was well saved by Rocky who dived to his left to push the ball past the post.

The second half was much better from a Hibs point of view and they broke the deadlock around six minutes in when a magnificent through ball by Scott Allan set Boyle free of McKenna and in on goal. Drawing Lewis towards him he slipped the ball past him and into the net. Five minutes later Boyle might have had a second but his bullet from around twenty yards was saved by Lewis. It was all Hibs now and Allan provided a chance for Kamberi but the striker’s effort was saved.

At the other end, a somehow transformed Paul Hanlon made two fantastic interceptions, denying Cosgrove’s route to goal whilst Stevenson crucially blocked a low cross just before it reached Ferguson. At the side of the park the whinging Derek McInnes decided things needed changed and made an unusual triple substitution but within a couple of minutes his change backfired big style as Boyle raced on to a through ball before sweeping the ball low beyond Lewis.

I’ll be honest here and say that I wondered whether Hibs could keep a two goal lead but my concerns only lasted about five minutes as Allan and Kamberi combined on the left allowing the latter to skip past a couple of tackles before placing the ball beyond Lewis and into the bottom corner of the net. It was, like the first two, a lovely goal well crafted and well taken.

Hibs were content now to try and keep the ball but some dodgy clearances gifted it back to the Dons. Cosgrove should have scored when inside the six yard box but a quite wonderful block by Hanlon cleared the danger. The free scoring Aberdeen striker had another chance but headed his effort weakly into the arms of Marciano.

When the final whistle blew there was a roar of approval from the home stands and it was well merited too.

The players

Marciano – Rocky didn’t have a great deal to do but must have had his heart in his mouth following a poor clearance when he slipped when making contact with the ball but danger was averted.

Naismith – I keep reading he’s bang average but I beg to differ. He defended well and got forward on numerous occasions when Hibs were attacking.

Porteous – Excellent when he needed to be, especially in the first half and I confess he made me laugh when Hibs were 3-0 up, the ball went out for a throw and he politely asked the ball boy to take his time retrieving the ball.

Hanlon – I think the saying ‘a game of two halves’ sums up his day. He was scarily poor in the first half but much more like his old self in the second. Ryan bailed him out a few times in the first but he returned the favour in the second.

Stevenson – Like Hanlon but not nearly as bad he had a poor first half but a much better second.

Boyle – Martin started the game really well and in his 75 minutes on the park he terrified the Aberdeen defence and scored two cracking goals. Man of the match for me.

Mallan – My worries over the Mallan/Allan conundrum were unfounded as he had a fine game, working hard, getting challenges in and tracking his man.

Hallberg – I was surprised that a couple of folk near me felt he was poor. He made a few mistakes, none of them costly and there was far more to be positive about than negative.

Allan – Once again Scotty will go home battered and bruised but wow, what a shift he put in, including numerous passes that split the Dons defence.

Kamberi – I was critical of his performance in Dingwall but he was back at it today and I can’t wait to see his goal again as it takes something special to beat a keeper like Lewis from that distance.

Doidge – The scoring spree is over and although he never got a goal he contributed so much in his play by keeping the overrated McKenna busy ball afternoon.

Slivka – Replaced Hallberg and slotted in seamlessly. Late in the game a couple of lovely flicks had the fans gasping in admiration.

Jackson – Replaced the tiring Boyle and gave us extra insurance against the late collapse that has cost us so dear in previous matches.

Shaw – With Flo limping off, Oli got the last five minutes but in truth we’d done with attacking by that time so he didn’t see a lot of the ball.

Jack Ross – Will be delighted with the outcome and so he should be!

The fans – Out in great numbers and pretty vocal for the most part and I love that the ‘80 minutes on the clock’ mark brings out the Green and White Army chant.

The referee – I thought he was poor in the first half, letting Aberdeen away with far too much but he improved in the second and his booking of the Dons player for simulation was spot on.
    Surprised the double save from Rocky in the first half didn't make it into the report.

Really crucial stops and I feel if that had gone in then it may have been a different outcome.

You must have been away for your pie and bovril when Rocky made that double save!
    Apart from that, spot on as usual.

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I thought Doidge was anonymous for most of the game. Agree with most of the points but would have given the MOTM to Kamberi who was excellent. Pass marks for the ref but the lady lino was poor missing offsides and a clear foul on Hanlon a yard away from her.
    Opinions eh....thought he was brilliant today

First Team Breakthrough esjorto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    We are so lucky to have Allan. His vision is unreal. Agree that Slivka is now playing to his potential.
    Totally agree!

Thought Marciano’s double save was crucial.Was very impressed by how hard the midfield worked as I expected them to be overwhelmed.Substitutions were good.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    You must have been away for your pie and bovril when Rocky made that double save!
    Apart from that, spot on as usual.
    Poor JB, it’s really hard to write down all the key points

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Rocky had a great double save in the first half JB . But other than that , I agree with your report .
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Agree with much of that but whilst Rocky didn’t have a lot to do he made 3 very good saves in the 1st half and handled 3 or 4 tricky, if routine, shots cleanly in the 2nd half.

Not a lot to do but what he had to do he did superbly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Surprised the double save from Rocky in the first half didn't make it into the report.

Really crucial stops and I feel if that had gone in then it may have been a different outcome.
    Apologies. I was still buzzing when I wrote this and clean forgot those crucial saves
    This is how it feels

Blog Entries
    I was at ER when we beat them 4-0 & Turnbull was their manager!

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    57 ? Maybe a cup game !
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Summer Cup /Dryburgh Cup not the league

Massively important saves and excellent ones at that

Testimonial Due
    Thanks Jonnyboy

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    If ever a player was tailor made to the way Hibs fans want to see their team play it's Scott Allan. Hibs are a natural fit for him and I hope he will be with us for a very long time and he goes on to be a Hibee legend.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 07-12-2019 at 11:07 PM.

League Cup game - 1970.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    League Cup game - 1970.
    Yep, 4 goals down the slope. Great game!
    Last edited by brog; 07-12-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Anyone else worried about Doidge’s current goal drought?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I thought Rocky was the busier keeper in the first half. Bar the me tioned clearance, he was very good.

Also don't agree Hanlon was scarily bad. He had a short spell when he was poor on 3 occasions but he bailed himzelf out on the 3rd time. Thought he was superb in the 2nd half. 👍🏻
    Funny BBC had in first half Hibs 60% procession and 7 shots to their 3.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Agree. Doidge has done well recently but barely touched the ball all day. Boyle or Kamberi motm for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    The man clearly took a look at that Aberdeen side and decided that a goal wasn't required tonight.

Completely selfless from Doidgey to allow Boyle and Kamberi a go instead. Hibs class.

In all seriousness I thought his link up play was pretty solid all evening, though he drifted in and out of the game. He was a consistently reliable out ball and kept possession 9/10 times.

Blog Entries
    Thanks JB.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    It's embarrassing. Spend circa 300k if the rumours are to be believed. He wasn't anywhere near today. Get rid! ;)