hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Doddy Weir

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Doddy Weir

Did anyone watch the show about him tonight? Absolutely heartbreaking watching such a good guy going through such a horrible illness. The fact that heís remained so positive and raised so much money for research into MND is truly remarkable. Itís a fight he canít win, but I sincerely hope that his fight will mean that others will be able to beat this horrid illness.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Mans a legend met him at a ESMS fundraiser for his charity . Just an awful disease but what a fight heís giving it.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    My kids went/go to primary/secondary school with Doddyís children and my son knows one of his sons reasonably well.

I donít really know him myself but I think he has made a massive fist of trying to tackle and raise awareness about MND. Just as importantly, maybe more so, I think his family and his children in particular have been extraordinarily strong in dealing with his illness and managing to be in the public eye while dealing and coming to terms with it.

Every respect to all of them.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Having spent a small bit of time with Doddie in the past (believe it or not, mainly on a 5 aside football pitch), I can confirm he's every bit the larger than life nice guy that he comes across as in these programmes and interviews.

Maybe the whole thing would be a lot harder for his close friends and family to deal with (and for the public to observe) were it not for his attitude and the way he's approaching it.

Still absolutely horrible what the big man is going through, and sad to think it's only going to get worse.

https://www.myname5doddie.co.uk/ is the webpage with info about the great work him and his group are doing, and you can also donate to the foundation.

*assuming it's okay to share this.

I see Rob Burrow who was a fantastic player for Leeds Rhinos has been diagnosed with MND too. Tragic stuff.

He's a great man. He deserves a knighthood.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see Rob Burrow who was a fantastic player for Leeds Rhinos has been diagnosed with MND too. Tragic stuff.
    Great player was Rob. Did you listen to his interview on the BBC? Heart breaking stuff.

One of our lads at Keighley Cougars died from it earlier this year, a cougar legend named Phil Stephenson. Awful thing to have.
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great player was Rob. Did you listen to his interview on the BBC? Heart breaking stuff.

One of our lads at Keighley Cougars died from it earlier this year, a cougar legend named Phil Stephenson. Awful thing to have.
    I did yeah. 37 years old with 3 very young children, it's just a desperately sad story.

If I can, I may try and get down to that testimonial game. I hope the RL community get behind him and his family. I'm sure they will.