Hibs v. Maastricht 1971

Was this a friendly?
    Played 5/5/71

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was this a friendly?
    Played 5/5/71
    According to Hibs Stats they have never played each other !

There is certainly a programme for the game.

@hibs.net private member
    I heard it was a treat eh.

This from Book Two

Back at Easter Road four days later, Dutch side Maastricht visited in a return clash following the pre season friendly won by Hibs the previous August. Again the greens were too strong for their opponents and ran out comfortable 3-0 winners with goals from Graham, Cropley and Davidson.
    This is how it feels

I've a recollection of attending a friendly which could have been against Maastricht in the summer of 1971. The date would have been considerably later than 5/5 as I think it was part of the club's pre-season warmups for 71-72. I attended with an American who was a college goalkeeper and thought it was amazing - the standard was so far above anything he'd experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This from Book Two

Back at Easter Road four days later, Dutch side Maastricht visited in a return clash following the pre season friendly won by Hibs the previous August. Again the greens were too strong for their opponents and ran out comfortable 3-0 winners with goals from Graham, Cropley and Davidson.
    Cheers, JC. I should have picked up the book and read it

Remember the game. Pretty sure their keeper was wearing glasses.

There was a home end of season friendly against a Dutch team about then . Thought it was Nijmegen but could have been Maastricht . Think we won 5 v 0 and game was remembered cause their goalie was wearing glasses . Maybe 2 different games in different years .

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Remember the game. Pretty sure their keeper was wearing glasses.
    Yes, the glasses were unique in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    There was a home end of season friendly against a Dutch team about then . Thought it was Nijmegen but could have been Maastricht . Think we won 5 v 0 and game was remembered cause their goalie was wearing glasses . Maybe 2 different games in different years .
    Mvv Maastricht im fairly sure was 3.0. NEC nijmegen was later because I'm fairly sure that was 5.0 and Harper scored all 5.

Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    Mvv Maastricht im fairly sure was 3.0. NEC nijmegen was later because I'm fairly sure that was 5.0 and Harper scored all 5.
    Game with goalie with glasses was definitely 5 v 0 so if Harper got them all must have been mid 70s . In those days SC final was first Saturday of May and league or League Cup groups started in early August so players and fans got a good long close season . Some folk here whine about close season being too long now when cup final is at the end of May and league / LC groups start in July / early August but think it was better before .

I believe I was there and it was Crops debut

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    Don’t think so HH. I remember watching him in the late 60s v St Mirren.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Strange one

I remember being at this game so the match definitely happened

Ebay list the programme as being dated 5/5/1971 with a picture on the front of HIBS v Clyde 24/4/1971 a game that HIBS won 5-1 with Jimmy Jimmy ORourke scoring a hatrick two pens

In the programme notes they say that HIBS invited the Dutch side over for a friendly as Dutch football was fashionable with their concept of total football and the rise and success of Ajax who were European Cup holders

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Don’t think so HH. I remember watching him in the late 60s v St Mirren.

Crops debut 1/3/1969 3-0 home win versus St Mirren

Alex Cropley was a late last minute replacement for Eric Stevenson who missed his first game of the season due to influenza

Cropley scored his first goal two weeks later in a 1-2 loss at home to Arbroath
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 06-12-2019 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    It was a post season friendly and Dave Ewing's team played excellently with fast flowing exciting attacking football. Alex Cropley was central to the performance as he returned from injury to totally dominate the game, Crop's had played in the Scottish cup semi replay where we lost 2-1 and had made Jimmy O'Rourke's goal with an outrageous effort from the goal line that wee Jimmy nodded in at the far post [looked as though it was heading in anyway but better to be sure.

The Semi performance and particularly the performance of Alex Cropley, really gave the Hibs support hope after losing Peter's Marinello & Cormack during the previous season and the friendly reinforced that with Crop's performance suggesting we had a new superstar developing very quickly. So when Dave Ewing resigned soon after the MVV game there was a feeling of disappointment as despite a poor season we had hope from our late season performances especially in the Semi and the MVV game.

After a little bit of a delay ET's signing was announced and the excitement took over as we all knew how good his Aberdeen side was and we weren't to be disappointed.
    Last edited by Ray_; 06-12-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    I heard it was a treat eh.
    Thought that would be obscure enough that I'd be first to try and make that joke.

Gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    It was a post season friendly and Dave Ewing's team played excellently with fast flowing exciting attacking football. Alex Cropley was central to the performance as he returned from injury to totally dominate the game, Crop's had played in the Scottish cup semi replay where we lost 2-1 and had made Jimmy O'Rourke's goal with an outrageous effort from the goal line that wee Jimmy nodded in at the far post [looked as though it was heading in anyway but better to be sure.

The Semi performance and particularly the performance of Alex Cropley, really gave the Hibs support hope after losing Peter's Marinello & Cormack during the previous season and the friendly reinforced that with Crop's performance suggesting we had a new superstar developing very quickly. So when Dave Ewing resigned soon after the MVV game there was a feeling of disappointment as despite a poor season we had hope from our late season performances especially in the Semi and the MVV game.

After a little bit of a delay ET's signing was announced and the excitement took over as we all knew how good his Aberdeen side was and we weren't to be disappointed.
    Superb, Ray - as always

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    I' m sure I remember the Nijmegen game, midweek friendly? and wee fat Joe scored all 5. I was there, on the East terracing near the cave...

edit: Monday, August 5th 1974, just found the programme.

Harper had also scored both goals in a 3-2 defeat from Rangers in the Dryborough cup a few days earlier.
    Last edited by surreyhibbie; 06-12-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Blog Entries
    I was at the game in Maastricht. I ended up in our dressing room before the game, taken in by our then manager, Willie Macfarlane. King Pat looked up, saw me & said, F*** me boss, we're surely not that short! Insulted by a Hibs legend, my 15 seconds of fame!

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I was at the game in Maastricht. I ended up in our dressing room before the game, taken in by our then manager, Willie Macfarlane. King Pat looked up, saw me & said, F*** me boss, we're surely not that short! Insulted by a Hibs legend, my 15 seconds of fame!
    Yeah, we played them pre-season away and home post-season.

A few month after your experience, in Liverpool, we were cheering the team from the coach in to the players entrance, the same King Pat told me humorously that I was too young to be there on my own [I was with a whole coach load courtesy of Mrs Mac as a member of the Hawkhill Branch]. If he told me that now I'd know he was taking the "P".

August 2nd 1970 we won away 3-0 V MVV Maastricht with goals from McBride (pen), Graham and Duncan. Sweltering heat during the match - "Hotter than Africa" said some.

As stated elsewhere we beat them again at ER 3-0 on May 5th 1971 with goals from Graham, Cropley and Davidson. A 4,000 crowd saw Korver of Maastricht take the field in glasses.

Franciscus Arnoldus Mattheus Körver is now 82 and retired from coaching only nine years ago. Wee bit of research there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    According to Hibs Stats they have never played each other !
    Its there:

http://www.ihibs.co.uk/hibs/friendly.php?id=3100

its in the friendlies and other games section.

Left by mutual consent!
    Would love to play Maastricht again.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    August 2nd 1970 we won away 3-0 V MVV Maastricht with goals from McBride (pen), Graham and Duncan. Sweltering heat during the match - "Hotter than Africa" said some.

As stated elsewhere we beat them again at ER 3-0 on May 5th 1971 with goals from Graham, Cropley and Davidson. A 4,000 crowd saw Korver of Maastricht take the field in glasses.

Franciscus Arnoldus Mattheus Körver is now 82 and retired from coaching only nine years ago. Wee bit of research there.
    It was absolutely scorching! To add to my earlier story I came out the ground to be met by a young autograph hunter who pointed at the pic of John Murphy in the programme & wouldn't believe it wasn't me. To cut a long story short I signed about a dozen progs as JM & when I met him many years later, he claimed to remember wondering who had signed his name!!

28 - Maastricht.jpg

Programme from the game.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Thought that would be obscure enough that I'd be first to try and make that joke.

Gutted.
    😆

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post

Is this the only time a Hibs player scored a nap, if that is the word?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Is this the only time a Hibs player scored a nap, if that is the word?
    Joe Baker got a 9 (Peebles) and a 5 (3rd Lanark)

Gordon Smith got a 5 (also 3rd Lanark)

Jock Cuthbertson got a 5 v Falkirk

All in competitive games, I suspect there will be more in friendlies. I'll get round to them one day.

Last Hibs player to score a 4 in a competitive game was Alan Gordon.