hibs.net Messageboard

That defeat has been coming

People will say the heading goes without saying ..but my thinking is that we have been riding our luck in all the games except the St Johnstone win !! We have played well in bits and against Kilmarnock we played well for an hour ! But there is just something missing right through the team our attacking play is good in patches but not sustainable pressure that creates much action in the box ..our shooting is poor how many decent saves have opposition keepers made from our attempts on goal ? We don't create any chances or saves from corners or crosses, we just seem to be off the pace and not doing the right things, we don't look sharp around the box and don't take enough shots at goal and don't get on the end of many crosses ! Our midfield is hit or miss we rarely have all of them functioning well other than in flashes and I will take most of the hour against Kilmarnock as exception ! We have a couple of workers but no one that's gives us a physical presence, Halberg and Slivka are all we have in mobile working midfielders, and the minute one of them is off the boil or is subbed we have nothing to replace their presence and work. Mallan is the normal replacement or Horgan or Boyle and none of those three give us any defensive presence and so we are more vulnerable to other teams getting further forward ..so our balance of midfielders in the squad is well out ... Scott Allan is not at it often enough he flits in and out of too many games and is trying to play too many hard passes and is getting us caught out, his work rate fluctuates as well, all in the midfield just doesn't function as a unit either going forward or defending !! How many creative players do we need in the squad ?
    Defensively we have too many players and an imbalance as well in the lack of a second left back and for what it's worth Sean Mackie isn't the answer in my view.
    Hanlon is weak and getting bullied in every game, Porteous still needs developed and Jackson hasn't really been tested, the hope that is Daz is a big one ..what he does give us is a big presence and winner .! I think our full backs are all struggling to do the job, and perhaps the boat has sailed for Lewis he is tenacious, but is limited as the game has evolved and he has stayed the same ! Naismith shows glimpses as has James ..will SDG got it in him anymore ? Time will tell ...I have to say I feel for Whittaker hasn't got the legs to be full back, so he at this time is the one that can maybe fill the gap as a holding midfielder .....our keepers have ability but what one has the other doesn't , Hecky knacked Rocky's confidence and Maxwell has done the basics keeping Rocky out, I suspect Rocky is gone in January and Bogdan is his replacement ..an all round better keeper than both !! Imo.. up front Kamberi is got and cold, Doidge grafts and is a nuisance, getting breaks just now and Oli just doesn't seem to be pushing at the door at all ..so another forward needs to come in that's going to provide an option and competition for the main player up front ...Boyle is the one that JR needs to find out where to play him to maximise his impact ..
    All told we are a team that's struggling to perform for much more than 60 minutes per game, we don't kill teams off and allow teams back in to games, I don't think certain players show a hunger or desire in the game, not sure how he is going to do it or who can be brought in or if he can find a new system that works with the squad imbalance that we have ...but as loads of folk have been saying a defensive midfielder and a goal scoring forward are the first two must finds ..and a left back competition next ..the rest can wait til the summer ...if we don't then what we have seen in the last 4 games are going to keep happening, riding our luck isn't good enough at all, we need to earn wins by working for them and that's everyone on those playing and working to their max ..if not nothing is going to change ..good luck Jack ...with you all the way ..😁👍 sure the changes will happen ,.......

2. Log in to remove the advert

We were poor against st Mirren, poor for the last half hour on Saturday. A loss was always going to come at some stage. Losing 2 quick goals shows our weakness literally

@hibs.net private member
    We should be beating Ross County. They went ten games without a win.

We are a poor side. Back in the bottom 6 after this next couple of weeks. We had better have a good transfer window or this season is over.

I agree with some of it. Imo Ross will never keep us a diamond but felt he couldn’t change it after the run we’ve been on. Now we’ve conceded cheap goals and lost to County he can do so.

In terms of chances we had

Naismith hitting the bar
    Scotty choosing wrong/rushed option of passing to Boyle whose shot was blocked
    Doidge header from corner - sitter
    Boyle header back to Doidge and wide
    Mallan long ranger

Imo at least 2 of those need to be goals. The one with Scotty was a very good position to be in and we should have made more of it and then Doidges header, the second one il give him the benefit and say he never knew much about it.

Whilst I’m a really big fan of Doidge keepers aren’t half doing him a favour with the goals he’s scoring. He’s still missing very good chances though, tonight and his 1 vs 1 against Killie on Saturday should end up as goals. I hope for his confidence he scores a nice clean strike and has that belief back as I think he’ll know himself he has been fortunate.

The goals we conceded wouldn’t look out of place in an amateur match

1st - Guy has far too much space to whip in a cross, Porto completely leaves his man before Maxwell comes out and gets nowhere near it leaving the free man with a simple header

2nd - Another easy cross into the box, Hanlon is weak then has an awful header which goes into the danger zone, their striker again has a free run and heads home

Of course we were going to lose some time.

We still have a lot of the same problems as we did when Hecky was in charge, and we have had a good spell but it wasn't going to last forever.

The problem some people have is that we're either absolutely terrible or world beaters but the truth is (quite obviously) somewhere between.

We currently have an average squad, capable of brilliance at moments and disaster at others.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course we were going to lose some time.

We still have a lot of the same problems as we did when Hecky was in charge, and we have had a good spell but it wasn't going to last forever.

The problem some people have is that we're either absolutely terrible or world beaters but the truth is (quite obviously) somewhere between.

We currently have an average squad, capable of brilliance at moments and disaster at others.
    Spot on. We need to hit the levels we did against Killie more frequently but that's easier said than done.

There are clearly some frailties in the side, I think the shape we've been playing has made a big difference to our attacking play but it doesn't half leave the defence exposed.

I expect Ross will change things up now, he was right to stick to a winning team/shape initially but now that we've had a couple of results go against us I think he'll start to make small changes to rectify.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

We are approaching half way through the season and are currently sitting in 5th place. Points wise we are slightly closer to the bottom of the league than we are to 3rd. I think that's a pretty fair reflection on where we are as a team.

The deficiencies in our squad are glaringly obvious and they are not going to be fixed in their entirety in January. I said last night I'm almost at the point of writing this season off with regards to challenging for Europe, others may well disagree but when you look at our upcoming 4 fixtures compared to those currently occupying 3rd and 4th then it's difficult to envisage a situation in which we are gaining any significant ground on them:

Hibs:

Aberdeen
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Hearts

Motherwell:

Hearts
    Rangers
    Kimarnock
    Ross county

Aberdeen:

Hibs
    Hamilton
    Celtic
    Livingston

We could well be in a situation in which we require between 4 and 7 more wins than both of those sides (plus a couple more than Killie) in 18 games. Whilst not impossible, based on all known evidence it looks highly improbable. For me the season now becomes about further assessment of what we have, trying to continue to play some good football, have a half decent cup run and start to overhaul the squad in January with an eye on further work in the summer.

Some may call that assessment negative or defeatist but I think it's realistic. We aren't terrible but I just don't think we are anywhere near capable of putting a run of 12+ wins together in our remaining games which is probably what is required.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    We are approaching half way through the season and are currently sitting in 5th place. Points wise we are slightly closer to the bottom of the league than we are to 3rd. I think that's a pretty fair reflection on where we are as a team.

The deficiencies in our squad are glaringly obvious and they are not going to be fixed in their entirety in January. I said last night I'm almost at the point of writing this season off with regards to challenging for Europe, others may well disagree but when you look at our upcoming 4 fixtures compared to those currently occupying 3rd and 4th then it's difficult to envisage a situation in which we are gaining any significant ground on them:

Hibs:

Aberdeen
    Celtic
    Rangers
    Hearts

Motherwell:

Hearts
    Rangers
    Kimarnock
    Ross county

Aberdeen:

Hibs
    Hamilton
    Celtic
    Livingston

We could well be in a situation in which we require between 4 and 7 more wins than both of those sides (plus a couple more than Killie) in 18 games. Whilst not impossible, based on all known evidence it looks highly improbable. For me the season now becomes about further assessment of what we have, trying to continue to play some good football, have a half decent cup run and start to overhaul the squad in January with an eye on further work in the summer.

Some may call that assessment negative or defeatist but I think it's realistic. We aren't terrible but I just don't think we are anywhere near capable of putting a run of 12+ wins together in our remaining games which is probably what is required.
    I think that's fair, PB. A lot rides on what we do in January but I don't think we're a million miles from being a decent team.

It's hard to predict how this run of games will go, we had a similar run earlier in the season and did OK with staying unbeaten in it, but we need wins rather than draws now.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    NPCR

(No paragraphs couldn't read) 😁
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Excuse the typical predictable ***** - but baby steps and 2 steps forward one step back, under PH we were in free fall, the reserve parachute has been pulled and the rot was stopped while we try and get the main chute repaired in January and have a safe landing! We were dying under PH.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    People will say the heading goes without saying ..but my thinking is that we have been riding our luck in all the games except the St Johnstone win !! We have played well in bits and against Kilmarnock we played well for an hour ! But there is just something missing right through the team our attacking play is good in patches but not sustainable pressure that creates much action in the box ..our shooting is poor how many decent saves have opposition keepers made from our attempts on goal ? We don't create any chances or saves from corners or crosses, we just seem to be off the pace and not doing the right things, we don't look sharp around the box and don't take enough shots at goal and don't get on the end of many crosses ! Our midfield is hit or miss we rarely have all of them functioning well other than in flashes and I will take most of the hour against Kilmarnock as exception ! We have a couple of workers but no one that's gives us a physical presence, Halberg and Slivka are all we have in mobile working midfielders, and the minute one of them is off the boil or is subbed we have nothing to replace their presence and work. Mallan is the normal replacement or Horgan or Boyle and none of those three give us any defensive presence and so we are more vulnerable to other teams getting further forward ..so our balance of midfielders in the squad is well out ... Scott Allan is not at it often enough he flits in and out of too many games and is trying to play too many hard passes and is getting us caught out, his work rate fluctuates as well, all in the midfield just doesn't function as a unit either going forward or defending !! How many creative players do we need in the squad ?
    Defensively we have too many players and an imbalance as well in the lack of a second left back and for what it's worth Sean Mackie isn't the answer in my view.
    Hanlon is weak and getting bullied in every game, Porteous still needs developed and Jackson hasn't really been tested, the hope that is Daz is a big one ..what he does give us is a big presence and winner .! I think our full backs are all struggling to do the job, and perhaps the boat has sailed for Lewis he is tenacious, but is limited as the game has evolved and he has stayed the same ! Naismith shows glimpses as has James ..will SDG got it in him anymore ? Time will tell ...I have to say I feel for Whittaker hasn't got the legs to be full back, so he at this time is the one that can maybe fill the gap as a holding midfielder .....our keepers have ability but what one has the other doesn't , Hecky knacked Rocky's confidence and Maxwell has done the basics keeping Rocky out, I suspect Rocky is gone in January and Bogdan is his replacement ..an all round better keeper than both !! Imo.. up front Kamberi is got and cold, Doidge grafts and is a nuisance, getting breaks just now and Oli just doesn't seem to be pushing at the door at all ..so another forward needs to come in that's going to provide an option and competition for the main player up front ...Boyle is the one that JR needs to find out where to play him to maximise his impact ..
    All told we are a team that's struggling to perform for much more than 60 minutes per game, we don't kill teams off and allow teams back in to games, I don't think certain players show a hunger or desire in the game, not sure how he is going to do it or who can be brought in or if he can find a new system that works with the squad imbalance that we have ...but as loads of folk have been saying a defensive midfielder and a goal scoring forward are the first two must finds ..and a left back competition next ..the rest can wait til the summer ...if we don't then what we have seen in the last 4 games are going to keep happening, riding our luck isn't good enough at all, we need to earn wins by working for them and that's everyone on those playing and working to their max ..if not nothing is going to change ..good luck Jack ...with you all the way ..���� sure the changes will happen ,.......
    ....Good post

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    All told we are a team that's struggling to perform for much more than 60 minutes per game, we don't kill teams off and allow teams back in to games, I don't think certain players show a hunger or desire in the game, not sure how he is going to do it or who can be brought in or if he can find a new system that works with the squad imbalance that we have ...but as loads of folk have been saying a defensive midfielder and a goal scoring forward are the first two must finds ..and a left back competition next ..the rest can wait til the summer ...if we don't then what we have seen in the last 4 games are going to keep happening, riding our luck isn't good enough at all, we need to earn wins by working for them and that's everyone on those playing and working to their max ..if not nothing is going to change ..good luck Jack ...with you all the way ..😁👍 sure the changes will happen ,.......
    Agree with nearly all of this