hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Goalkeepers Winning Points

All keepers will have off days and make mistakes. Even the best.

Very few will make top class unbelievable saves regularly that can win you points though.

Rocky is one of those keepers who can make those saves consistently and one of the few who has done so over the last 50 years for us. The criticism he has had on here has been puzzling to say the least.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Totally agree

Bogdan is also class though I give a slight edge to Rocky.

Maxwell hasn't got that same quality - he is who we play though

Left by mutual consent!
    Maxwell has done nothing wrong though..

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Very few will make top class unbelievable saves regularly that can win you points though.

Rocky is one of those keepers who can make those saves consistently and one of the few who has done so over the last 50 years. The criticism he has had on here has been puzzling to say the least.
    The criticism he was taking earlier this season was entirely justified and he deserved to be dropped.

He reacted well to losing his place last season and played brilliantly when he got back in. He deserves to get back in and I think he’ll do the same again this time.

Rocky also made numerous blunders this season.

Whilst I agree he’s a good keeper he was rightly dropped.

Hopefully Bogdan gets up to speed and in the team

Rocky is one of those keepers who can make those saves consistently and one of the few who has done so over the last 50 years for us. The criticism he has had on here has been puzzling to say the least.
    Very strange post he deserved to be dropped. Goram , Rough, Leighton, Colgan and Anderson may argue with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The criticism he was taking earlier this season was entirely justified and he deserved to be dropped.

He reacted well to losing his place last season and played brilliantly when he got back in. He deserves to get back in and I think he’ll do the same again this time.
    I think the criticism was way over the top though.

He had one bad error vs St Johnstone, and a couple of 'should have done betters' v motherwell and the huns.

We should have stuck with him IMO, given his previous fantastic showings for us.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Maxwell has done little wrong

Did he make any serious mistakes tonight?

Serious question not fishing or anything just curious as to how this old chestnut keeps popping up after every defeat

I was not at the game tonight and I have not seen any highlights

If a change is needed why not give Bogdan a chance?

Edit:

Rocky played 4 lost 13 and loads of unforced errors

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Very strange post he deserved to be dropped. Goram , Rough, Leighton, Colgan and Anderson may argue with you.
    Very strange post from you if you think Anderson and Colgan have made better saves consistently than Rocky for Hibs.

The other three did but then thats exactly what im saying there has only been a few like that.

Youve never liked Rocky though.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    For Maxwell see Mark Oxley. Quite a steady keeper but never seems to make saves and has the odd error in him (as seen tonight). I’d drop him for Bogdan.

Very strange post from you if you think Anderson and Colgan have made better saves consistently than Rocky for Hibs.

The other three did but then thats exactly what im saying there has only been a few like that.

Youve never liked Rocky though.
    I think your memory has gone

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    For Maxwell see Mark Oxley. Quite a steady keeper but never seems to make saves and has the odd error in him (as seen tonight). I’d drop him for Bogdan.
    was a god send when Oxley got booked for time wasting against Inverness and forced stubbs hand to change the keeper

I think the criticism was way over the top though.

He had one bad error vs St Johnstone, and a couple of 'should have done betters' v motherwell and the huns.

We should have stuck with him IMO, given his previous fantastic showings for us.
    Other factors were that he continued to shell the ball out the park regularly, the whole defensive unit was disorganised and all over the place, and we had a new and untested goalkeeper waiting in the wings.

The criticism may have been OTT but I maintain he deserved to lose his place and until now Maxwell hasn’t really deserved to have been dropped.

Rocky is a top keeper most of the time though and I’d be glad to see him get another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Maxwell has done little wrong

Did he make any serious mistakes tonight?

Serious question not fishing or anything just curious as to how this old chestnut keeps popping up after every defeat

I was not at the game tonight and I have not seen any highlights

If a change is needed why not give Bogdan a chance?

Edit:

Rocky played 4 lost 13 and loads of unforced errors
    Maxwell blunder for the equaliser tonight.

Rocky lost 6 against Rangers when we were down to ten men, and he actually kept the score down that day. He got pelters for the first goal that day when the defence were far more at fault not tracking Defoe.

If Maxwell had been in *** knows what the score would have been.

Sooner Bogdan or Rocky is back in the better.

Left by mutual consent!
    His performance against Celtic towards the end of last season was one of the best I’ve seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Other factors were that he continued to shell the ball out the park regularly, the whole defensive unit was disorganised and all over the place, and we had a new and untested goalkeeper waiting in the wings.

The criticism may have been OTT but I maintain he deserved to lose his place and until now Maxwell hasn’t really deserved to have been dropped.

Rocky is a top keeper most of the time though and I’d be glad to see him get another chance.
    I can agree with all that

Rocky is the best keeper I've seen play for Hibs. I certainly think there's something more to the story than form for him to be on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I think your memory has gone
    I think you need new specs

Maxwell is a strange one. He looks confident, he's comfortable with the ball at his feet, he distributes the ball well and he hasn't made many glaring errors.

I just don't think he ever looks like making a breathtaking save like Rocky can nor does he look anywhere near as commanding or assured as Bogdan does. Bogdan in particular just oozed confidence after a sticky start and it was obvious the defence trusted him implicitly. Him and Rocky just pushed each other on to be better when they were in direct competition as they both knew any dip in form would see them replaced.

I just don't think Maxwell has that level in him. Rocky was in poor form when he was, arguably deservedly, dropped but I'm not convinced Maxwell has really done enough to cement the number 1 spot as his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Maxwell is a strange one. He looks confident, he's comfortable with the ball at his feet, he distributes the ball well and he hasn't made many glaring errors.

I just don't think he ever looks like making a breathtaking save like Rocky can nor does he look anywhere near as commanding or assured as Bogdan does. Bogdan in particular just oozed confidence after a sticky start and it was obvious the defence trusted him implicitly. Him and Rocky just pushed each other on to be better when they were in direct competition as they both knew any dip in form would see them replaced.

I just don't think Maxwell has that level in him. Rocky was in poor form when he was, arguably deservedly, dropped but I'm not convinced Maxwell has really done enough to cement the number 1 spot as his own.
    Having just seen the equalising goal tonight I'd be amazed if Maxwell starts on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Horror show from Maxwell a for the first County goal.

This is reminiscent of when Graeme Smith was our keeper when we had two better goalies in reserve.

Maxwell blunder for the equaliser tonight.

Rocky lost 6 against Rangers when we were down to ten men, and he actually kept the score down that day. He got pelters for the first goal that day when the defence were far more at fault not tracking Defoe.

If Maxwell had been in *** knows what the score would have been.

Sooner Bogdan or Rocky is back in the better.
    Still to see the Maxwell blunder

My laddie was at Ibrox and he said if it wisnae for Rocky it was 6 going on 20

I still thought he might have done better at a couple of the goals

It must have affected his confidence as he was all over the shop versus St Johnstone rushing out of his box to smash into OHalloran getting beat too easily at his near post constantly booting the ball out of play or to the opposition

I have just watched the replay of Motherwell away 0-3 a shocker and Killie away 0-2 it is don’t watch alone viewing

As others have said he deserved to lose his place maybe he can come back and play as well as he did this time last season where I must admit he was undroppable but I suspect we have not brought Bogdan back to sit in the stand

Since Maxwell came in it seems to me that practically every attempt on target goes in.That doesn’t mean I expect him to save them all but it’s almost that he saves none.He has no command of his area,let’s crosses go or like tonight gets nowhere near it and doesn’t organise the defence(nobody does).He’s not to blame for the biggest blunder which was the non signing of a defensive midfielder.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Since Maxwell came in it seems to me that practically every attempt on target goes in.That doesn’t mean I expect him to save them all but it’s almost that he saves none.He has no command of his area,let’s crosses go or like tonight gets nowhere near it and doesn’t organise the defence(nobody does).He’s not to blame for the biggest blunder which was the non signing of a defensive midfielder.
    Spot on

Manager's fault for playing Maxwell ahead of two high quality goalkeepers. He is miles off Marciano and Bogdan. How the manager cannot see that is beyond me.
    I agree Marciano had a few bad ones at the start of the season but Hibs would have at least 4 more points now if we had stuck with him.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by percy veer View Post
    was a god send when Oxley got booked for time wasting against Inverness and forced stubbs hand to change the keeper
    He was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by percy veer View Post
    Wouldn’t change it now, but we win that play off semi final with Oxley in goals.

Always thought that Oxley picked up a second tournament booking versus Caley in the quarter final and that is why he missed the semi
    He tried to tell the Ref he had lost a contact lens but the sympathetic Ref booked him for time wasting
    We eventually had to take him off and put on a young laddie to see out the game

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Always thought that Oxley picked up a second tournament booking versus Caley in the quarter final and that is why he missed the semi
    He tried to tell the Ref he had lost a contact lens but the sympathetic Ref booked him for time wasting
    We eventually had to take him off and put on a young laddie to see out the game
    Yes your right

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    We have three good keepers, but the weakest of the three is starting every week. Rocky is the best keeper I’ve seen in a long time and Bogdan is not far behind him. Maxwell is solid enough, but as the op says he’s not a match winner. Top class keepers can turn draws into victories and losses into draws.

United we stand here....