hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Just to add to the formation thing. This is from a standard txt book on playing the diamond.

When on the attack, the Diamond requires the deepest lying midfielder to hold position, as a shield to the defence—a defence without the two fullbacks who have joined in the attack. This leads to a transition to a shape resembling the standard 3-5-2.

We do not have that at the moment. I like Hallberg but in many of the game he goes walk about and doesn’t drop in to make it a 3. For me that’s the big missing link.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The current shape really doesn’t help us defensively. People can say that’s just an excuse but you have to shape the team to get the best out of it. The diamond may be creating more chances, but it’s also handing out more than ever to opponents.
    It’s not, and it didn’t last night. Defensive record has been poor all season.

We’ve played it four times and lost 6 goals. In the reverse fixtures, playing with one up front, we lost 9 goals.

Bottom line, we can’t defend properly, irrespective of system.

I agree I’d like better in all positions. I’m just a realist. And like previous managers I think Ross will aim at other areas before the 2 players that are pin pointed as the issue by the majority on the forum. The current shape really doesn’t help us defensively. People can say that’s just an excuse but you have to shape the team to get the best out of it. The diamond may be creating more chances, but it’s also handing out more than ever to opponents.

Our defence hasnt been great whether its this formation or the one heckingbottom was deploying. So surely setting up to get the best out our attacking players which this formation mostly has done is the only way forward until January when we can bring in players to change the shape and either give the defence more cover or recruit new defenders? I dont see any other alternative. We cant see out leads so the only way we are going to win is to keep pressing forward for more goals and trying to turn games into end to end affairs.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Just to add to the formation thing. This is from a standard txt book on playing the diamond.

When on the attack, the Diamond requires the deepest lying midfielder to hold position, as a shield to the defence—a defence without the two fullbacks who have joined in the attack. This leads to a transition to a shape resembling the standard 3-5-2.

We do not have that at the moment. I like Hallberg but in many of the game he goes walk about and doesn’t drop in to make it a 3. For me that’s the big missing link.
    The system thing is irrelevant, whatever formation we've played this season, we've still lost goals and lots of them.

Poor players contribute to poor performances and poor results.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    So why has no manager thought to bring in a LB or a LCB in the last 3/4 years? It’s always pointed out on here as our weakest area yet we don’t rush out for replacements?
    I do think over the years we have failed to have adequate cover/replacements for both Hanlon & Stevenson. Which would have allowed them time out the team when their form dropped, and like we saw with Bogdan and Marciano, the competition may have even inspired them to a greater level.

I think the 17/18 season was their peak, they were both arguably in as good form as anyone else in the league and were deserving of being in and around the Scotland squad. I do think they are now in decline though, and are fast becoming the priority areas to replace, but by no means the only two problem areas.

You defend from the front, middle and back and our weak area of defending has been the middle. Allan has worked hard on this part of his game, Mallan tries but is poor, the number of times he puts in a half hearted challenge and then gives up. Hallberg, Slivka and Newell are tidy clever players but wont win many 50/50's or break up play with a solid challenge and Vela, well where is he? abducted by aliens by the look of it. We recruited poorly in the middle, Jackson is a lower half EFL journeyman, we have no one pushing Lewis at LB and Naismith is bang average, with James just the same. At the moment I'd say we need at least 4 maybe 5 new players.

None of the back 4 or the goalie can have any complaints if they are dropped for sat.

If you were a defender on the bench watching the same guys make the same mistakes week in week out it must be really frustrating.

Big changes are needed, no time for sentiment, if players aren’t performing then they have to be dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    None of the back 4 or the goalie can have any complaints if they are dropped for sat.

If you were a defender on the bench watching the same guys make the same mistakes week in week out it must be really frustrating.

Big changes are needed, no time for sentiment, if players aren’t performing then they have to be dropped.
    That is all well and good, but who do you replace any of them with?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    That is all well and good, but who do you replace any of them with?
    Well we are losing cheap goals every week.

James - right back for Naismith
    Jackson centre half for Hanlon
    Lewis is just lucky there is no other left back.

We have to try and keep a clean sheet

Why heckingbottom thought it wise to get rid of our other left back and our 2 defensive midfielders only he will know.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    Well we are losing cheap goals every week.

James - right back for Naismith
    Jackson centre half for Hanlon
    Lewis is just lucky there is no other left back.

We have to try and keep a clean sheet

Why heckingbottom thought it wise to get rid of our other left back and our 2 defensive midfielders only he will know.
    James is every bit as poor as Naismith, and Jackson is no better than Hanlon. We can try all the permutations you like, nothing will change in my opinion until we get better defenders than we currently have.
    Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 05-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.

James is every bit as poor as Naismith, and Jackson is no better than Hanlon. We can try all the permutations you like, nothing will change in my opinion until we get better defenders than we currently have.
    get mcgregor in

Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    get mcgregor in
    No idea how fit he is, he's not played in what seems months?

Totally agree. It should be 1 of the priorities in January IMO.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Who are all these trumpets that turn up every time there is a poor result? I assume all were at the game. This place turns into kickback every time we lose.
    Exactly. The over reaction to this result has been ridiculous. Do folk really not remember we were bottom of the league a few weeks ago? We lost by the odd goal, away from home, to the team 1 place below us. Disappointing yes but not the embarrassment many are claiming.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex7zero View Post
    Aye soft as putty. Hanlon the weakest link for years and wee Lewis a lovely laddie but just well short in terms of quality.
    ‘Laddie’? He’s a 32 year old grown man with a couple of cup winners medals and a Scotland on his mantelpiece. Bit disrespectful no?

Who are all these trumpets that turn up every time there is a poor result? I assume all were at the game. This place turns into kickback every time we lose.
    Well only 552 of us in Dingwall. Who is kicking into us?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Exactly. The over reaction to this result has been ridiculous. Do folk really not remember we were bottom of the league a few weeks ago? We lost by the odd goal, away from home, to the team 1 place below us. Disappointing yes but not the embarrassment many are claiming.
    Anybody who was unfortunate enough to be up there the other night has every right to be more than a bit disappointed. Disappointing to lose, yep. Disappointing to lose to a poor side like them, yep. But the manner of the second half performance was more than disappointing. Lack of intent, fight and willingness to do the ugly side of the game isn’t good enough. Despite our struggles this season, the players seemed to think all they had to do was come back out for the second half and that would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Anybody who was unfortunate enough to be up there the other night has every right to be more than a bit disappointed. Disappointing to lose, yep. Disappointing to lose to a poor side like them, yep. But the manner of the second half performance was more than disappointing. Lack of intent, fight and willingness to do the ugly side of the game isn’t good enough. Despite our struggles this season, the players seemed to think all they had to do was come back out for the second half and that would be enough.
    I was there. I was disappointed (obviously).......I was not embarrassed, like some are saying. The abuse the players got for daring to come over and thank the fans for their support was however embarrassing. Imagine the comments if they’d just walked off the park with no acknowledgement!

I was there. I was disappointed (obviously).......I was not embarrassed, like some are saying. The abuse the players got for daring to come over and thank the fans for their support was however embarrassing. Imagine the comments if they’d just walked off the park with no acknowledgement!
    I wouldn’t say I was embarrassed. It was a 2-1 defeat in the league.

But I was more than disappointed. I thought we deserved better than the attitude they displayed in the second half.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Modern society has turned folk into a-holes. Imagine shouting abuse at folk you turn up to support. Have never, ever understood that mentality.

Maybe I'm being unkind on modern society, folk have always shouted at players but I do think it's worse now and I think these days folk have a total lack of perspective and think that it's ok to slaughter someone because they dared lose a game of football.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I wouldn’t say I was embarrassed. It was a 2-1 defeat in the league.

But I was more than disappointed. I thought we deserved better than the attitude they displayed in the second half.
    Agree it was poor. Half hearted at best from some
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull