hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The First Time

Blog Entries
    My 1st game was in mid 50s & think we beat St Mirren. I was only about 6. My main memory is of my Dad & Uncle taking me up the High St to Blackfriars St where the special buses left for ER. They popped in to the pub next door for a very quick pint leaving me in the queue & telling me not to move. When they came out I was still in the same spot in the queue, I hadn't gone forward in the queue as I was told not to move. We always stood at the Dunbar end & I remember the 1st season I was big enough to stand at a barrier on my own!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by berwickhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs won 3-2, sheff wed were a premier league team.
    That's the one. Found a decent article on the match online here http://www.iancolquhoun.org.uk/1994-...eld-wednesday/

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    My 1st game was in mid 50s & think we beat St Mirren. I was only about 6. My main memory is of my Dad & Uncle taking me up the High St to Blackfriars St where the special buses left for ER. They popped in to the pub next door for a very quick pint leaving me in the queue & telling me not to move. When they came out I was still in the same spot in the queue, I hadn't gone forward in the queue as I was told not to move. We always stood at the Dunbar end & I remember the 1st season I was big enough to stand at a barrier on my own!
    Any story with Blackfriars St in it is good enough. Where did you stay Broq. Is that short for Brocklehurst?

Edit. It’s BROG. I’m blind, apologies.
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 02-12-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Lived in Wales until I was 7 and when we were here on holiday in1948 when I was 6 my grandad took me to the north end of the stand to see a game against I think Clyde.When we went home to Wales I told everyone I was a Hibs supporter.I started going to Easter Road regularly in 1951/52(I also went regularly on the train from Leith to Tynecastle,6d return on the train and 6d to get in to the match).I’ve been very fortunate with the number of great footballers that I’ve seen particularly in the 1950s when so many clubs had players who are still legends at those clubs.

1966 as a ten year old. My dad didn't like football so that may explain why I was quite old for my first match. I think I went with mates from my street. Anyway it was some baptism to the Hibs family. We thrashed Stirling Albion 6-0 that day. Some great names that played for the jersey. Eric Stevenson, Peter Cormack, Jim O'Rourke and Pat Stanton to name a few. Only just under 6K there to see the Mighty Hibees that day so we should appreciate the crowds we are managing to pull nowadays to watch what I would consider to be lesser gifted with the fitba. I was too young to witness the Famous Five but lucky enough to grow up watching some great players (Turnbull's Tornadoes just around the corner) and witnessing a host of brilliant matches including the demise of Naples and close fought matches against a brilliant Leeds United team full of Scottish international players. Also there at Easter Road about 1970 when we came up against Liverpool. John Toshack was immense back then. Anyway I've digressed a bit so will end there. Apart from c'mon the Hibees.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Lived in Wales until I was 7 and when we were here on holiday in1948 when I was 6 my grandad took me to the north end of the stand to see a game against I think Clyde.When we went home to Wales I told everyone I was a Hibs supporter.I started going to Easter Road regularly in 1951/52(I also went regularly on the train from Leith to Tynecastle,6d return on the train and 6d to get in to the match).I’ve been very fortunate with the number of great footballers that I’ve seen particularly in the 1950s when so many clubs had players who are still legends at those clubs.
    Aw man, these stories are beautiful.

I’m sure I’ve posted this before. I’ve definitely posted it on Facebook on various Hibs groups.

First game was Hibs - Dundee in October 1962. 2-2 draw.
    Fairly inconsequential game you’d think for my old man to take me to for my first game and I don’t recall much about the match itself, other than we stood on the top part of the East terracing and it was a sunny day.

However, although my dad never made a fuss about it at the time, I’ve since established that the greatest(?) Hibee of them all played in that game.

The Prince of Wingers - Gordon Smith.

He had been to Hearts (won the title in 1959/60) Was, at the time in Oct 1962, with Dundee having won the title with them the season before - 1961/62 - adding to the 3 titles he won with Hibs. The only non Old Firm player to achieve that feat - 3 titles with 3 different non OF teams. Doubt that will ever happen again!!

Anyhow it does explain why I was taken to that game. Gordon Smith was my dad’s hero and probably wanted to see him one last time. Although I had no idea at the time, I can honestly say I have seen the great man play at Easter Road.
    Gordon Smith that is. Not my dad!!

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Despite having had family season tickets for a few years, we rarely get to games because of the distance and other commitments.

I posted about my son’s first game. If memory serves correctly my daughter has only been to two Hibs games in her life.

Her first was the match where Dominique Malonga scored very late on in injury time, I think against QOTS. For the last few minutes of the match everyone, and I mean everyone, was singing his song. It was rocking and she was enthralled!

Her second game was 21/05/2016. Nothing much to report about that, just an average day out in Glasgow........
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I’m sure I’ve posted this before. I’ve definitely posted it on Facebook on various Hibs groups.

First game was Hibs - Dundee in October 1962. 2-2 draw.
    Fairly inconsequential game you’d think for my old man to take me to for my first game and I don’t recall much about the match itself, other than we stood on the top part of the East terracing and it was a sunny day.

However, although my dad never made a fuss about it at the time, I’ve since established that the greatest(?) Hibee of them all played in that game.

The Prince of Wingers - Gordon Smith.

He had been to Hearts (won the title in 1959/60) Was, at the time in Oct 1962, with Dundee having won the title with them the season before - 1961/62 - adding to the 3 titles he won with Hibs. The only non Old Firm player to achieve that feat - 3 titles with 3 different non OF teams. Doubt that will ever happen again!!

Anyhow it does explain why I was taken to that game. Gordon Smith was my dad’s hero and probably wanted to see him one last time. Although I had no idea at the time, I can honestly say I have seen the great man play at Easter Road.
    Gordon Smith that is. Not my dad!!
    You might also have seen him a year later when he played in Dundee's 4-0 victory.My memory is that he didn't do much other than four perfect crosses for Gilzean to score off each of them!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Any story with Blackfriars St in it is good enough. Where did you stay Broq. Is that short for Brocklehurst?

Edit. It’s BROG. I’m blind, apologies.
    I was born & lived early years in St Mary St, 50 yards from where we were founded. My great grandparents were married by then Father Edward Hannan in 1873 & my grandfather was baptised by Canon Hannan in 1875!! Not much chance of me supporting any other team!

I was born & lived early years in St Mary St, 50 yards from where we were founded. My great grandparents were married by then Father Edward Hannan in 1873 & my grandfather was baptised by Canon Hannan in 1875!! Not much chance of me supporting any other team!
    Just around the corner at 268 Canongate myself, schooled and churched at St Pats.

Testimonial Due
    The heart of Hibernian😄

Left by mutual consent!
    First Hibs game, dumbarton 2-2 1984, dad took me to dumbarton games as a kid... scary as hell when fans changed ends at half time, for a 10 year old anyway...

First game at Easter Road, 4-4 v dundee... still a neutral then...

Be 2013 before saw Hibs win, 2-1 vs Hearts...

Now been to 80 Hibs games with a winning record and 151 goals...

@hibs.net private member St.Kristopher's Avatar
    When I posted this I never expected this response, amazing stories.

Well now it makes twice, my wee lad wanted me to phone Boyle or send him a message. He was upset I didn't have his number. So in the end I said we could try twitter (”what’s twitter??”), anyway...this just happened!

https://twitter.com/martinboyle9/sta...73542673895424

Hibs Class!!!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by McVey View Post

Well now it makes twice, my wee lad wanted me to phone Boyle or send him a message. He was upset I didn't have his number. So in the end I said we could try twitter (”what’s twitter??”), anyway...this just happened!

Hibs Class!!!
    Lovely guy Martin Boyle. So funny too. Enjoy the game with your sin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McVey View Post

Hibs Class!!!
    Class act is our Martin!