hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The First Time

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member St.Kristopher's Avatar

The First Time

Don’t know if you remember your first time, mines was on a cold Saturday where Hibs destroyed Raith Rovers 0-0. I had no really strong football affinity in my imediate family and had been taken to Hearts and Celtic games before but this blistering performace finally gave me my team.

Today was the first time my lad (5 years old) has been to a game at Easter Road, I took him on a sunny day earlier in the year to see us play Stirling. Though today was his first home game. I had accepted the advice of some on here and taken him to the family section. We had a great day and I thought I would share the experence for anyone else thinking of doing the same.

We got to the game early and I took him to the club shop to get him a Hibs hat, gloves and scarf (it was freezing!). As I walked into the shop I saw the girl selling programs and realised I only had my bank card so couldn’t buy one, I’ve not bought a program in years but was I knew I had missed a really decent keep sake for him (they are £3 so bring some real cash).

This feeling quickly went away, as soon as we got through the turnstiles, he started dancing to Girls & Boys by Blur, having a great time. Glen Middleton and Ellis Notley were there to chat to the kids, pose for photos and kindly signed photos for him of the ladies and mens team.

As we got further into the kids zone a nice lady told him about the drawing competition that he could enter, he spent a good 10mins doing this and seem to really enjoy it (pens, paper, glue whats not to like), he now has a chance of being a mascot if he wins.

After that we played a hibs themed connect 4, the tokens had pictures of the ladies team and the mens team on them, which he also really enjoyed.

Finally before going out to see the game he played football pool which was his favourite part, the people running this were great, giving him lots of enouragement and praise.

He loved the game and was joining in with both the singing and the drumming. He was especially happy to see Boyle come on, his favourite player, and was also a lot more pragmatic about the result than I was.

He was fairly knackered by the end and I had to carry him to the car but it was a great day and for those who have not tried the kids zone with their wee ones I can not recommend it enough.

Oh and one final thing, just as I was getting him in the car, a guy taps me on the shoulder and says here is a program for your son I’ve got 2...I was speechless and I would be lying if I said I didn’t shed a wee tear - the day was rounded off perfectly. If you were the guy who did this and you read this, please get in touch I would love to buy you a beer before a game (and yes I know what he looks like so no freeloaders )
    Last edited by St.Kristopher; 30-11-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Great wee story 💚💚

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I came pretty late into the Hibee family and loosely followed us for the 2005-06 season. My first game was the Hampden semi final against Hearts, and despite the result I was hooked. I reckon that result also instilled a mentality in me that beating Hearts should be our number one priority.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    First game was a dire 0–0 against Dundee in 1992. Loved it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Wonderful story, great to hear that you and your son had an enjoyable day. Hopefully next time it will be a win :)

Left by mutual consent!
    Fabulous

What a great story & I am sure it will also be a day he will never forget. A bit more exciting draw than your first game too!

Testimonial Due
    First game at ER was 1971 September League Cup quarter final vs Rangers. Stood in the upper tier of the East mixed in with Huns. Hibs lost 3-1 but played great cavalier football that fitted their Bohemian striking strip. I had come up on a Rangers supporters bus from Hawick. Until then I had been a TV and radio Hibs fan. Coming back on the bus a Rangers pal said are you won over then? Much to his horror I said I can really call myself a Hibs fan after being to see them. And thus started the longest love of my life. Still bleary eyed after watching yesterday's game on Hibs TV till 1 am in the morning Filipino time

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Love this OP.
    My first game that I can remember was a 2-2 draw with Cowdenbeath. 1971. Centre Stand with my dad. Easter Road seemed vast, like stepping into a big volcano when we got to the top of the stairs.. Don’t remember too much about it other than a late Blackley equaliser and my old man hugging me after having narked his head off about the Hibs play. He’s gone now but what an impact he made on my life, not only that day but especially that day.

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    My first Hibs game was vs Stranraer at home at the start of the 1998-99 Season (First Division) - we lost 2-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My first Hibs game was vs Stranraer at home at the start of the 1998-99 Season (First Division) - we lost 2-1.
    Remember this all too well. Jason Young scored the winner for Stranraer.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Love this OP.
    My first game that I can remember was a 2-2 draw with Cowdenbeath. 1971. Centre Stand with my dad. Easter Road seemed vast, like stepping into a big volcano when we got to the top of the stairs.. Don’t remember too much about it other than a late Blackley equaliser and my old man hugging me after having narked his head off about the Hibs play. He’s gone now but what an impact he made on my life, not only that day but especially that day.
    Love the post too. Checked Hibs Stats and mine was 45 years ago yesterday! 2-1 against Ayr. Late Pat Stanton winner. Alex Cropley's last game for Hibs.

Oh and that comment about your old man? I could have written that word for word about mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Lester B View Post
    Love the post too. Checked Hibs Stats and mine was 45 years ago yesterday! 2-1 against Ayr. Late Pat Stanton winner. Alex Cropley's last game for Hibs.

Oh and that comment about your old man? I could have written that word for word about mine!
    I’d expect “Lester B” to have a far more prosaic delivery than mine!
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 02-12-2019 at 11:39 AM.

I’d expect “Lester B” to have a far more prosaic delivery than mine!
    Oh aye. Would you now 'Iggy'?

I can get more prosaic than that and you can get less so. I've seen your FB posts 'Iggy'

Btw You can lose hours on that Hibs Stats site. I know, I have done!

Love this OP.

Wow. This was also my first ever game.
    Was taken in for the last 20/30 by my mum. I was too young (a few weeks after my 5th birthday) to remember much. All I knew was what my mum told me through the years, we were 2-0 down when I went in and saw us fight back for the draw.
    A few year ago I decided to try and look the game up on line, wanted to see who was the 1st scorer I witnessed in the flesh. I think you may have it the other way round, but not certain. I think Sloop scored a pen, then someone else (cannae mind who) got the equaliser.
    What followed in my 'investigation' rocked me a bit. I found a Pink news report of the game (cant find it now). In the bottom of the page was the 'goal flash' bit they used to have in the Pink. It noted a late equaliser for der hun in the old squirm game...scored by Colin Stein! I immediately looked up at the date on the Pink...2/1/1971.
    My old dear never mentioned the fact that the 1st professional match I attended was the same day 66 people attended their last. A very sobering thought.
    Last edited by sadtom; 02-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i'm sure colin stein scored against us at ER on either his first game for sevco which happened to be at ER,or his first game back at ER, i just couldn't understand why he would do that to us

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i'm sure colin stein scored against us at ER on either his first game for sevco which happened to be at ER,or his first game back at ER, i just couldn't understand why he would do that to us
    Colin Stein scored a hatrick at Ibroke on his debut versus Arbroath he followed it up by scoring a hatrick versus HIBS in a 6-1 win In Glasgow the following week

In the January he scored the only goal at Ibroke to knock us out of the Scottish Cup

Like many hibeees I was heartbroken when he left but his memory soon became a distant memory as Joe McBride started to rattle in the goals.

Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    Wow. This was also my first ever game.
    Was taken in for the last 20/30 by my mum. I was too young (a few weeks after my 5th birthday) to remember much. All I knew was what my mum told me through the years, we were 2-0 down when I went in and saw us fight back for the draw.
    A few year ago I decided to try and look the game up on line, wanted to see who was the 1st scorer I witnessed in the flesh. I think you may have it the other way round, but not certain. I think Sloop scored a pen, then someone else (cannae mind who) got the equaliser.
    What followed in my 'investigation' rocked me a bit. I found a Pink news report of the game (cant find it now). In the bottom of the page was the 'goal flash' bit they used to have in the Pink. It noted a late equaliser for der hun in the old squirm game...scored by Colin Stein! I immediately looked up at the date on the Pink...2/1/1971.
    My old dear never mentioned the fact that the 1st professional match I attended was the same day 66 people attended their last. A very sobering though.
    I would not have known that about Ibrox being that day although I remember the headlines.
    Have to keep it as a Blackley equaliser though as my auld brain hates change!

PS iHibs has it down as a Kenny Davidson goal with a Sloop penalty. I see Bobby Duncan also came on as a sub so it might’ve been his comeback spell which would also have delighted the auld fellah!
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 02-12-2019 at 11:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Hun cousin took me to Easter Road in April 68 where Dundee beat us 3 1

I would not have known that about Ibrox being that day although I remember the headlines.
    Have to keep it as a Blackley equaliser though as my auld brain hates change!

PS iHibs has it down as a Kenny Davidson goal with a Sloop penalty. I see Bobby Duncan also came on as a sub so it might’ve been his comeback spell which would also have delighted the auld fellah!
    👍

@hibs.net private member
    Lovely story you'll never forget,thanks for sharing.😂

Testimonial Due
    The first time I took my son to a Hibs match we beat St.Johnstone 4-0, if I remember right it was inbetween the 2 AEK games. It didn't take him long to realise it wasn't like that every week though.

Coaching Staff
    Excellent storytelling!

One to remember.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McVey View Post
    Don’t know if you remember your first time, mines was on a cold Saturday where Hibs destroyed Raith Rovers 0-0. I had no really strong football affinity in my imediate family and had been taken to Hearts and Celtic games before but this blistering performace finally gave me my team.

Today was the first time my lad (5 years old) has been to a game at Easter Road, I took him on a sunny day earlier in the year to see us play Stirling. Though today was his first home game. I had accepted the advice of some on here and taken him to the family section. We had a great day and I thought I would share the experence for anyone else thinking of doing the same.

We got to the game early and I took him to the club shop to get him a Hibs hat, gloves and scarf (it was freezing!). As I walked into the shop I saw the girl selling programs and realised I only had my bank card so couldn’t buy one, I’ve not bought a program in years but was I knew I had missed a really decent keep sake for him (they are £3 so bring some real cash).

This feeling quickly went away, as soon as we got through the turnstiles, he started dancing to Girls & Boys by Blur, having a great time. Glen Middleton and Ellis Notley were there to chat to the kids, pose for photos and kindly signed photos for him of the ladies and mens team.

As we got further into the kids zone a nice lady told him about the drawing competition that he could enter, he spent a good 10mins doing this and seem to really enjoy it (pens, paper, glue whats not to like), he now has a chance of being a mascot if he wins.

After that we played a hibs themed connect 4, the tokens had pictures of the ladies team and the mens team on them, which he also really enjoyed.

Finally before going out to see the game he played football pool which was his favourite part, the people running this were great, giving him lots of enouragement and praise.

He loved the game and was joining in with both the singing and the drumming. He was especially happy to see Boyle come on, his favourite player, and was also a lot more pragmatic about the result than I was.

He was fairly knackered by the end and I had to carry him to the car but it was a great day and for those who have not tried the kids zone with their wee ones I can not recommend it enough.

Oh and one final thing, just as I was getting him in the car, a guy taps me on the shoulder and says here is a program for your son I’ve got 2...I was speechless and I would be lying if I said I didn’t shed a wee tear - the day was rounded off perfectly. If you were the guy who did this and you read this, please get in touch I would love to buy you a beer before a game (and yes I know what he looks like so no freeloaders )
    Fantastic story is exactly what it is all about.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Hibs vs Coventry. Pretty sure Strachan played for us for a bit? Can't remember whose testimonial it was.

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Hibs vs Coventry. Pretty sure Strachan played for us for a bit? Can't remember whose testimonial it was.
    Gordon hunters.

To the OP, great story, thanks for sharing.

My first visit to ER was with my dad to see League Champions, Hibernian, playing against who knows
    Yes, I really am that old.

About 7 years later I took my younger cousin to his first game to see Hibs being hammered 5-0 by a superb Rangers team. He has remained a Hibby to this day

Left by mutual consent!

Glad he enjoyed it Jesus 😉

That is absolutely brilliant, thanks for sharing - hope you got a few photos of the day to treasure. ✅

“This is what it feels like to be Hibs”.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs won 2-1 against Aberdeen at Easter Road Scott Browns debut I believe