hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

Glastonbury 2020

Looks like I’ve managed to bag tickets. Never been before (done IOW, TITP before). Anyone able to offer any tips or advice?

Not too excited about the rumoured acts so far but expecting a lot for their 50th.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I first went in 1984, it's a bit different now. I went for several years from then on and saw some iconic acts. I think my last one was 1989 or 1990 when the Happy Mondays basically took over a stage with a hundred mad scallies and DJs, now that was a rave. I saw the Smith's, The Band, Ry Cooder, The wailers with Black Uhuru and one of Bob Marley's kids. John Martyn was a standout, sober and very intense, one man with a guitar had thousands of us in the palm of his hand, loads more as well but my memory is a bit shot. In short it is probably still as much fun as ever but the music will not be as good. My favourite memory from the comfort of my armchair was Johnny Cash and more recently I thought The Who absolutely nailed it.
    Not much help to your question other than to say you will love it.

Went in 2016 (absolute mudfest) and in 2019 (blazing sun from start to finish). Missed out on tickets in October but will be trying again in the resale.

As for tips, here's my tuppence worth :

Get there as early as you can on the Wednesday. The site is massive so it's a perfect opportunity to have a wander and check the place out.

Don't stand at the main stage all day. Get yourself up to the Park, check out the Glade, if it's not muddy get yourself up to Strummerville, go and have a pint in Avalon. Visit the greenfields and the green peace field. take a wander through the cabaret fields, catch an act or two, get involved with some of the random outdoor performances. Unlike most festivals there is so much more to it than the music.

Even if electronic music isn't your thing get yourself down to the naughty corner one night. It's a spectacle and a half. It gets really busy at peak times, I'd recommend getting down there either before a headliner finishes or wait til 1:30-2am.

Check out Pangea at some point. Giant moving crane thingy that spits out fire and lasers whilst djs bang out the tunes (caught Carl Cox there last year)

Hike up to the Glastonbury sign with a couple of cans and just sit and take in the view. Really hits home the size of the place.

You're going be doing a lot of walking, I was over 25k steps each day last year. Get some practice in beforehand if you're not used to walking that much.

Walking boots are better than wellies in the mud.

Socks, double the amount you were planning on taking.

Food, don't get lazy and just grab the first burger you see. There is loads on offer and generally a great standard.

Read this before you go http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq

Think I've seen your username on efestivals, it's a great forum and most folks will be happy to help with any questions you have (a lot of the posters have been going since way back so have a lot of knowledge)

Don't be a flag ****** or a chair ****** at the main stages.

Get to know your neighbours in your campsite, offer them a can /spliff or whatever. Thefts have been rare recently but always good to have your neebs looking out for you.

Take all your **** home with you, respect the farm, leave no trace.

Finally, have a ball. Even if it is muddy just embrace it.

Resale depending, might see you down there.
    Last edited by BarneyBreslin; 08-12-2019 at 03:02 PM.