hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

The old North Enclosure

A fabulous picture of Steve Archibald scoring against Celtic and celebrating in front of the north enclosure. (Courtesy of the Auld Hibs FB page)
    Who on here used to watch from the north enclosure? I think it might have been the only part of the old ground I never viewed a game from - certainly have no recollection of watching from there, but it always looked a cracking part of the ground, particularly on the big occasions.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A fabulous picture of Steve Archibald scoring against Celtic and celebrating in front of the north enclosure. (Courtesy of the Auld Hibs FB page)
    Who on here used to watch from the north enclosure? I think it might have been the only part of the old ground I never viewed a game from - certainly have no recollection of watching from there, but it always looked a cracking part of the ground, particularly on the big occasions.

I was in there for my first game at Easter Road and never went back.

It was quite good, I remember getting a touch of the ball and having to chuck it back to John McClelland.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    My mates and I went to the North Enclosure for a couple of years up until Kenny Waugh covered the East terracing, basically because we were sick of getting soaked when it rained and because the atmosphere was better.

Toward the halfway line was the prime spot.

I remember a couple of games when it was packed well above any safe capacity and once thought I was going to pass out in the crush of bodies.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    I was a season ticket holder for a few years there, it was mental at times

Coaching Staff
    I was in there when Pat Stanton scored twice against Rangers, 2 headed goals if I remember correctly. ��
    Last edited by Lago; 24-11-2019 at 08:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I used to watch the Tornadoes from there. Happy days

Left by mutual consent!
    We were season ticket holders about 4 rows up from there in the North Stand just about every year that I can remember in the 70's. The North Enclosure could get awfy busy down there and it was normally a decent atmosphere.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Used to go there all the time for many years
    The waft o baccy and the craic from the crowd usually die hard mental Hibees above us we had the footstompers in the North Stand who only knew one song “Hibees! Hibees!”
    Halcyon days!

Only ever went to the old North Enclosure for reserve games. I was an East Terracing regular for the first team games
    This is how it feels

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Used to go in there quite often. As someone else said, I was getting fed-up getting soaked on the main terrace!!

Saw us take the lead v Celtic with Craig Paterson scoring (they came back with 4!!). The SC game v Hearts on the way to Hampden in 79. Being one of 1191 in the ground v Partick a year or so later after we were relegated. Then a few years gap till I took by oldest daughter to see Alloa in the LC when Chic Charnley scored from his own half.

Great place, but bonkers as hell!!

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Same here had a few good years in the North in the 80's. Great atmosphere great great laughs.
    We moved over to the East eventually although the day of the CS gas the queues everywhere were mental that day so we decided to nip into enclosure that day. Best move ever.

Was never a regular in the North Enclosure but one of my happiest memories as a Hibs fan was watching New Year Derby from there in 1976 ( ? ) . We won 3 v 0 with all the goals in the first half . King Paddy was absolutely immense . We could probably have repeated score of 1973 but took pity on opponents on a very wet day . I remember being there for Boxing Day friendly against Man Utd in about 1980 too and against Partick Thistle in final home match in relegation season 79 / 80 ( crowd of about 1000 ) . Also remember seeing reserve league matches from there in days when reserve matches were played on Saturdays at 3 pm like first team .

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    That entire enclosure North and South was Hibs when I was a kid. Andy McVannan’s excellent We Are Hibernian FC tome has my account of a very sair nut gained the day Joe Baker came back to town. Wasnae a place for four footers.

That was my fave place to go for years. Loved it.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I only ever watched one game from the North Enclosure. It was a memorable one though. We lost 2-1 to Dundee Utd.....what was so memorable about that you ask.......Hearts were also losing to a team from Dundee with a couple of late goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    I was in there when Pat Stanton scored twice against Rangers, 2 headed goals if I remember correctly. ��
    I remember watching that game from the Cave where Paddy scored both goals . Both headers I`m sure too .

Remember being in there for a Rangers game in the mid 60’s. Around 40000 at the game and couldn’t believe how many Rangers fans were on that huge terracing opposite. I think they beat us that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Only ever went to the old North Enclosure for reserve games. I was an East Terracing regular for the first team games
    This.
    Can't remember why.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    That entire enclosure North and South was Hibs when I was a kid. Andy McVannan’s excellent We Are Hibernian FC tome has my account of a very sair nut gained the day Joe Baker came back to town. Wasnae a place for four footers.
    I was in North Stand at game against Aberdeen on Joe Baker`s return in January 1971 and along with thrashing of Sporting Lisbon in 1972 is still my favourite Hibs game ( and I was there in 2007 , 2016 though not at 7 - 0 in 73 ) . Will have to look for article / book you mention - I was there in 2016 and saw great emotion but can never forget tears of older fans near me in North Stand the day Joe and Paddy scored goals against Aberdeen ( who were on a great run and hadn`t let in a goal for about 15 games while we were having a bad league season in which we did well in cups including Europe ) .

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    I watched from there for the last time as Miller’s Marvels dazzled Dundee 0-0 somewhere around 1989.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Great picture

I stood in there twice , both in 1985 during our league cup run to the final, and saw us score 12 goals in those 2 games vs I think Cowdenbeath and Motherwell.

Im sure the old scoreboard was operated from there as my old boy was updating the scoreboard for one of those games as his mate who usually did it was away for one of them.

Was a great place to stand!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Alternated between the East terracing and the North (and originally South) Enclosure for years. Happy days. I remember pre-segregation mayhem in the 4-1 game against Celtic, must have been 1978. All great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    I was in North Stand at game against Aberdeen on Joe Baker`s return in January 1971 and along with thrashing of Sporting Lisbon in 1972 is still my favourite Hibs game ( and I was there in 2007 , 2016 though not at 7 - 0 in 73 ) . Will have to look for article / book you mention - I was there in 2016 and saw great emotion but can never forget tears of older fans near me in North Stand the day Joe and Paddy scored goals against Aberdeen ( who were on a great run and hadn`t let in a goal for about 15 games while we were having a bad league season in which we did well in cups including Europe ) .
    It was the first goal Bobby Clark had conceded in about 100 years when Paddy beat him but when Joe scored I got lifted up by my cousin Tam taking my bonce right on to the underside of the (big square) chin of the fellah immediately behind us. Great days. Wish I was still that size.

Was in there for a Scottish Cup game in the early 80s against Aberdeen. Just next to the tunnel. It was mobbed. There was a big group of their casuals on the other side of the tunnel and they started lobbing missiles over. A huge screw hit my sister just above the eye that left her needing first aid. *******s.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I watched from there for the last time as Miller’s Marvels dazzled Dundee 0-0 somewhere around 1989.
    You need your auld Avatar back....

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Was in there for a Scottish Cup game in the early 80s against Aberdeen. Just next to the tunnel. It was mobbed. There was a big group of their casuals on the other side of the tunnel and they started lobbing missiles over. A huge screw hit my sister just above the eye that left her needing first aid. *******s.
    That's how I remember the enclosure around that time too. Whenever Hearts or either of Glasgow's worst were at ER there always seemed to be trouble at the tunnel

I used to go in there - really enjoyed it.

One game a guy who had just bought a pie and Bovril from the hut saw the ball heading for him. he turned his back on it to protect his scran. The ball went over his head, bounced off the corrugated wall and rebounded into him, Bovril, pie the lot! He was raging!

@hibs.net private member
    My regular vantage point in the early days as a kid at ER was always above the path between the low and high east terracing from the late 50s.
    For reserve games we always went to the north enclosure though, probably because the terracing wouldn't have been open for those games.

Only first team game I remember seeing in there was a 4 1 loss v Celtc.
    Went in for reserve games loads

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I stood there when Benny scored a hat trick against Celtic in a hastily rearranged friendly. A bizarre fitbaw day that was!