hibs.net Messageboard

Famous Five Gilzean Cartoon - Is it an original?

Recently purchased this framed picture on eBay “for a song” just because I liked the look of it.
    I’m aware of Gilzean’s style of drawing and whilst this wasn’t being passed off as one, a wee bit of research since buying it, suggests it may have been sketched by the man himself. My main doubt is there is no signature on the picture and I believe a Gilzean usually added his name in capitals to his work?

So, my question is to the ‘expert’ collectors on here, do any of you think it’s genuine or merely a print of an original?

Cheers guys/gals.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WDQ6ARZccUeb2Kma6

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough EastThomasSTboy's Avatar

Not Gilzeans

Hello

I saw this on Ebay as well and I would suggest the paper was overlaid on a "bigger" Harry Gilzean original Drawing, and a "poor" attempt at tracing the image ensued, making a smaller , more compact copy.
    Its actually a very poor attempt at copying Harrys work (something I tried to do for years!!!!), probably by a youngster, looking to do a drawing for his own scrapbook.

Probably wasnt worth the Postage.
    GGTTH.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by EastThomasSTboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello

I saw this on Ebay as well and I would suggest the paper was overlaid on a "bigger" Harry Gilzean original Drawing, and a "poor" attempt at tracing the image ensued, making a smaller , more compact copy.
    Its actually a very poor attempt at copying Harrys work (something I tried to do for years!!!!), probably by a youngster, looking to do a drawing for his own scrapbook.

GGTTH.
    yes, i think thats correct.

Quote Originally Posted by EastThomasSTboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello

Its actually a very poor attempt at copying Harrys work (something I tried to do for years!!!!, probably by a youngster, looking to do a drawing for his own scrapbook.

GGTTH.
    Thanks for the confirmation G. Your sage advice always appreciated.