hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Vela

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Josh Vela

He’s had a very hard time from the support and tbh that’s not for me to say rightly or wrongly, but I think we need to wipe the slate clean with him and see what he can do under Jack Ross.

We’ve now started to see what the previously much maligned Newell and Doidge bring to the team that a lot of people didn’t see coming and I hope that Vela can be another to prove people wrong.

For whatever reason Heckingbottom couldn’t get the best out of his signings - I’m looking forward to see what Vela who came with a bit of hype behind him can do.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s had a very hard time from the support and tbh that’s not for me to say rightly or wrongly, but I think we need to wipe the slate clean with him and see what he can do under Jack Ross.

We’ve now started to see what the previously much maligned Newell and Doidge bring to the team that a lot of people didn’t see coming and I hope that Vela can be another to prove people wrong.

For whatever reason Heckingbottom couldn’t get the best out of his signings - I’m looking forward to see what Vela who came with a bit of hype behind him can do.
    I think everybody would be delighted if he turned into Pat Stanton Mark 2, but it is all up to him.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Who?

I think the fact he hasn't made the bench for the past two weeks says it all about Vela.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    ER can be an unforgiving place to players that are short on confidence.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    I think the fact he hasn't made the bench for the past two weeks says it all about Vela.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Gone in January

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Maybe he should prove to us he’s a player, the fans haven’t been wrong at all.

In fact, if the board had listed to the fans sooner we might have had a few more wins this season.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    ER can be an unforgiving place to players that are short on confidence.
    OK, but playing devils advocate for a minute - why have his performances away from home been similarly poor?

If a player of his reputed quality cant make the bench, then there is something wrong.

Clean slate for everyone imo. Newell and Doidge have pushed on, so can he.

I expect him to be away in January.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSauzee View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. Gone in January
    Maybe on loan. He signed a 3 year deal so he's going to be here a while yet.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Clearly a good player based on his record, but needs to adapt to Scottish football. I'm not sure he'll be given the chance.

The problem for Vela is I just don't see where he fits in.

Halberg is a cut above and if he's fit the deeper lying role is his. Slivka, not without his faults, brings more energy to one of the central positions. As previously pointed out Newell has kicked on the last 2 games and deserves his place. Finally you have the advanced role and there's no way he's getting ahead of both Allan and Mallan in the pecking order for that one. You have Mallan and Horgan who can fill in either the Newell or Slivka role ahead of him and if we go 1 up top with 2 sitting off then he wouldn't suit any of those roles either.

I had high hopes for him but sometimes it just doesn't work out for some players. He gets a clean slate from me if he plays but I just don't see where he gets that chance in the short to medium term.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    There were times I thought there was a player there.

He’s keen to get in the box and get forward.

He’s just not the DM we are looking for him to be, maybe higher up? Him or Slivka?

I thought Slivka was good yesterday for the most but at times looked a bit like a lost boy. Good experience for him though with a run in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Salford City were interested in him prior to us, maybe off there in January?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be attempting a swap for Dylan.

I thought he was excellent against Celtic at Easter Road. He's way down the pecking order now especially with Slivka and Hallberg playing so well. Newell ahead of him now too in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The problem for Vela is I just don't say where he fits in.

Halberg is a cut above and if he's fit the deeper lying role is his. Slivka, not without his faults, brings more energy to one of the central positions. As previously pointed out Newell has kicked on the last 2 games and deserves his place. Finally you have the advanced role and there's no way he's getting ahead of both Allan and Mallan in the pecking order for that one. You have Mallan and Horgan who can fill in either the Newell or Slivka role ahead of him and if we go 1 up top with 2 sitting off then he wouldn't suit any of those roles either.

I had high hopes for him but sometimes it just doesn't work out for some players. He gets a clean slate from me if he plays but I just don't see where he gets that chance in the short to medium term.
    Precisely this. For us to give him a second chance he first has to get the jersey. I fear both the boo boys and the forgiving souls may have to wait till injuries and suspensions kick in before enacting their respective Velanian psychodramas.

@hibs.net private member
    He needs to have watched Hallbergs and Slivkas performances in the last 2 games to give him an idea of what is required playing in a Hibs midfield. From what I've seen he offers nowhere near the drive, athleticism or skill of these 2. Delighted if he came back and proved me wrong but I doubt it. Needs to be punted or put out on loan in January.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I expect him to be away in January.
    Which would be best for all concerned I think. Thought he looked promising early doors but has regressed a bit in later games he played. Perceived lack of effort on occasions haven't helped jogging back then getting nick for winner in the Derby and being skinned in semi final and again jogging after player. Fans will forgive mistakes if full effort is shown imo. In saying that may be like others and show more now Hecky gone.

I don’t think he’s been great at all but equally I don’t think he’s been as bad as some have made him out to be. As has been said there are examples in the team such as Newall who is getting a clean slate and vela should be afforded as much. We need depth in the squad and having the likes of Mcgregor, Gray, Murray, vela, Middleton, Bogdan etx certainly gives us that in addition to the match day squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Maybe on loan. He signed a 3 year deal so he's going to be here a while yet.
    Shouldn't make any difference, we got him for nothing, so it'll just be a case of getting a club to sign him for nothing and pay him a similar or higher wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The problem for Vela is I just don't say where he fits in.

Spot on PB
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Shouldn't make any difference, we got him for nothing, so it'll just be a case of getting a club to sign him for nothing and pay him a similar or higher wage.
    We'll see what happens, but it's probably going to be difficult to convince another club to take him for a similar wage when he's not doing very well for us.

We'll see what happens, but it's probably going to be difficult to convince another club to take him for a similar wage when he's not doing very well for us.
    Plenty clubs down south would take him for free on the strength of his Bolton time id imagine

What Smaxxa says, Vela is a well known player down south and would fit into a lot of teams plans, no fee a they'd pay more than we're paying.

Clubs down south pay higher wages than we do anyway, so I can't see that being a stumbling block.

However for now he has a clean sheet despite a shockingly poor start to the season. If he gets his act together then he can earn himself a regular starting spot.

If not, then he can find a club down south and we can use his wages to get either a proper defensive midfielder or another box to box type.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I’d be attempting a swap for Dylan.
    Sunderland are daft but they’re not that stupid

I think everyone has a clean slate under the Ross Empire

If the guy has the right attitude and applies himself there is a player in there

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

No. If you're brought to this club you step it up and put in the performances from day 1.

Vela has been a consistent starter and a consistent under-performer.

This clubs ambition is top 4, EUROPA and cup semi/finals. No room in this club for players who can't cut it and especially no room/time to give players second chances who have already been given time

I might be more direct and harsher than the average supporter on here but we need to raise our standards to start achieving these goals - unfortunately this requires some tough, somewhat harsh decisions.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I don’t think Vela is as bad as he’s looked so far.

I think taking him out the firing line for a bit is a smart move but I don’t think it means his Hibs career can’t be saved.