hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

This is how it feels (Motherwell 23 11 19)

A first game in charge for Jack Ross and pre match we were speculating as to what changes he might make in personnel. My view was that, given the performance and result against St Johnstone the last time out, there should be no changes unless caused by injury. It was no surprise then that the same squad, including the substitutes, was selected for what would prove a stern test against a very good Motherwell side.

With the rain tipping down it was Hibs that started the game, shooting towards the South Stand or as I prefer to call it, the Dunbar end. The only fans in there today were those supporting the visitors and even though they were not great in number they got right behind their team and made plenty of noise in doing so.

The home side opened on the attack and a fierce drive by Scott Allan had Gillespie in the Motherwell goal diving low to his right to keep the ball out. For their part, Motherwell enjoyed possession and were causing problems down both flanks with the full backs exposed by Hibs deploying a narrow midfield. It was a move down the left flank that secured the visitors the opening goal when Hylton skipped past a couple of tackles and struck a shot that beat Maxwell but came off the base of the post. Unfortunately for Hibs, Liam Polworth was quickest to react as he drove the ball into an empty net. This wasn’t the start an expectant home crowd had wanted but Hibs reacted well to the setback and a number of excellent interchanges saw the home side on the attack in search of an equaliser, coming close when a Newell free kick was headed just over by Doidge.

It wasn’t long before the Hibs number 9 added to his three goals from the St. Johnstone game as a stunning Kamberi pass released Newell on the left side of the box. As Gillespie tried to narrow the angle, Newell shot across him and whilst it looked as though the effort might fly wide, Doidge bundled the ball over the line. It might be considered a scrappy goal, but it was an important goal nonetheless.

It was all Hibs at this point and Hallberg was unlucky to see a fine effort drift wide of the post before a textbook Scott Allan pass carved open the ‘Well defence allowing Naismith to square the ball to the waiting Kamberi who jinked away from his marker before lashing the ball high into the net. By this time we’d only played twenty five minutes but some of the play from Hibs was exceptional and must surely have put a smile on the face of Jack Ross. To be fair though, Motherwell also enjoyed some decent possession and Maxwell was a relieved keeper when a late effort from the visitors cleared the bar.

At half time the warm fuzzy feeling of leading 2-1 was enhanced by the news from Rugby Park that Hearts were getting hammered 3-0. Childish, I know but the combined effect of leading and Hearts struggling was uplifting on a cold and very wet afternoon.

To be fair to Motherwell they were the better side in the second half if only in terms of possession but as I’m always happy to remind anyone that will listen, possession alone does not win games. At times it was like a cup tie with play flowing from end to end and I have to say I was astonished when referee John Beaton failed to award the visitors a penalty when Porteous flattened Polworth in the box. It looked pretty clear cut to me but let’s be honest here, Beaton is not very good at his job and for once, Hibs benefited from that fact.

The visitors laid siege to the Hibs goal but I thought we defended exceptionally well with Porteous dominant in the air, dealing with endless numbers of crosses and the rest of the team doing their bit to deny Motherwell an equaliser. I don’t recall Maxwell having to make many saves although one comes to mind when a vicious effort from about fifteen yards saw the keeper push the ball clear which was a good call in my opinion because any effort to hold the shot might have proved costly.

With around twenty minutes to go the tiring Kamberi was replaced by Boyle and I confess I was slightly surprised that he was deployed in a forward and central role because the vast majority of play from Motherwell came down their left hand side. As it turned out, Boyle was moved there following the introduction of Horgan and later Mallan. Horgan had only been on the pitch a couple of minutes when a fine pass from Stevenson set him free on the left. As defenders scurried across to challenge him, Horgan rifled the ball beyond Gillespie and into the far corner to seal the points for Hibs.

In the dying moments, Hibs might have added a couple more when a cracking strike by Mallan hit the base of the post and rolled towards the onrushing Boyle but he got it all wrong and hit the chance high and wide. Boyle was involved again when he sent a fierce low ball across the six yard area but Hallberg, who had bust a gut to get into the box, just failed to make the contact that surely would have provided a fourth goal.

I have to say here that I thought as a support we were brilliant today. Positive encouragement followed us going behind and in the last ten or fifteen minutes the singing and chanting was immense. We’ve come through a difficult time, Heckingbottom having failed to give us a winning team, but confidence is huge in football and back to back wins will boost that for what looks to be a very testing run of fixtures in December.

The players

Maxwell – He had no chance with the goal but as I said earlier he had very few direct shots to deal with. One bizarre moment occurred when a ballboy in the Dunbar end took an age to return the ball to Maxwell for a goal kick. Step forward John Beaton and I kid you not I thought he was going to book the ballboy for time wasting! As it was, yellow was shown to Maxwell and I’ll bet it was for something he said.

Naismith – There were times when he struggled a bit to contain Hylton but over the piece I thought he had a fine game – though his fresh air swipe when eight yards from goal was a howler.

Porteous – Ryan continues to impress and although he’s sometimes a bit naďve he was an absolute colossus today dealing with any high ball into the box. There were other contenders but he edges my man of the match award.

Hanlon – For me, Paul is beginning to regain the form that seemed to have deserted him a bit earlier in the season. His reading of the game is excellent and was particularly evident in the second half today.

Stevenson – I think Lewis would be the first to admit that he struggled at times with the trickery of Cole but he stuck to his task manfully and delivered an excellent pass for Horgan’s goal.

Slivka – I know he has his doubters and I know he messed up a couple of times today but for me his negatives were far outweighed by his positives. I lost count of the number of times that he was the player to close down an opponent around the edge of our box.

Hallberg – Another excellent ninety minutes from him today. He is tireless, always available and pops up in both boxes pretty regularly. You could say he’s the player we all hoped Vela would be.

Allan – Scotty works his socks off and although a couple of his trademark passes failed to reach their target, many more of them did and his through ball to Naismith for Kamberi’s goal was worth the admission money alone.

Newell – Although there were spells when he didn’t seem to get involved I thought that today’s display together with the one in Perth have convinced me there’s a player in there and hopefully Jack Ross’ coaching can add to his skills.

Kamberi – Once again I thought Flo had a fine game and is definitely forming a good partnership with Doidge. At one point I thought he’d damaged a hamstring but thankfully, not. Great skill and patience when scoring his goal he merited the standing ovation given to him when he was subbed.

Doidge – Although BBC Sportsound were calling into question whether Doidge scored or it was an own goal as the ball struck Gallagher on the way in, my view is that his effort was on target anyway and that takes him to four goals in two games. He won loads of headers and worked his socks off too. Long may that continue.

Boyle – Another important spell off the bench as he works on regaining full match fitness, I thought he should have scored when Mallan’s effort came off the post but maybe I’m being a bit too harsh on him.

Horgan – I’m not a fan but credit where credit is due. His pace caused them problems and his goal was very well taken.

Mallan – Stevie only got about ten minutes including the time added on but in that time he hit the post, set Boyle free on the right twice and tracked back well when needed.

Jack Ross – I listened to his interview and found it refreshing after the wittering we used to get from Heckingbottom. He will be pleased with the outcome but, more importantly, he’s now seen his players, in the heat of battle, showing great resolve to carve out a win.

The fans – I’ve waxed lyrical earlier on about our contribution to proceedings but I’ll do so again here. We got right behind the team when it mattered and I’m absolutely sure they will have been aware of that.

John Beaton – Another inept performance by another inept official.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

I love Porteous but didn't actually think he had his bed game today.
    I thought Hallberg was outstanding and Newell had his best game yet in a Hibs shirt carrying on from his performance in Perth last time out.

When you have a choice of 9 or so players for man of the match, that's when you know we played well.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Re Maxwells booking. I had just said he was being very clever going over the hoardings when the ball boy was retrieving the ball. Tremendous running down the clock tactic. He knew what he was doing as did Beaton who rightly pulled him up. The booking as you said must have been for a verbal as little time was wasted after the chat.

Great report but im convinced Mallan played Daryl in for his goal

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Think doidge had his best game in a Hibs shirt this season. Yeah he scored a hatrick last time out but his work rate & general play today got my MOTM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Horgan's goal went Hallberg/Horgan/Mallan/Horgan - goal.

Doidge's part in Flo's goal should also be acknowledged. Naismith's low cross was cleverly laid off to Flo by Doidge.

@hibs.net private member
    From my seat Doidge's "goal" was an OG. He had a good game today but he could have had a hatrick with a good headed chance, the "goal" and then the one in the second half where he blasted it at the keeper when any composure would have seen an easy finish. Another one of Heck's signings along with Naismith, Newell and Hallberg who all look like they may be very useful additions.

Porteous played well but was very lucky not to concede the pen. I thought Stevenson was very good today albeit has was dribbled past a couple of times.

Good fighting performance that wasn't that dissimilar to the last two draws we have had at ER where we had some excellent spells but were also outplayed for good chunks of the game. On this occasion we got the rub of the green with Doidge's goal, the pen decision and some shocking finishing and decision making from Motherwell in the last third. Small margins and hopefully Jack will be a lucky as well as a good manager.

First Team Regular

I thought that too

Definitely Mallan.

Naismith didn't enjoy marking the fast and skillful Hylton who led him a merry dance.
    Was much happier marking his replacement Seedorf.
    Good player Hylton was.

The incident involving Porteous in the 2nd half appeared just outside the box. The guy went past him and Porteous pulled him back.
    At the time my worry was that Porteous was going to get a 2nd yellow.
    Fortunately, Beaton seemed to miss the incident.

Motherwell were pushing hard for an equaliser in the 2nd half and the substitutions almost guaranteed that one of the 2 sides would score in the last 10 minutes. Fortunately our opponents over committed and a wonderful counter attack resulted in a 3rd Hibs goal.

A good win and effective resistance shown in the face of a determined 2nd half Motherwell push.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 23-11-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Cracking contribution from Mallan in his brief appearance.

Not bad for a player who I’ve read multiple times this week ‘contributes nothing’.

Think the fact we have guys like that to come off the bench - and Horgan, says we’ve got a much better squad than we thought a few weeks ago.

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Great run down.

And a plus one from me on "The Dunbar End" - that's what I call it too!!

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Everyone played great today , fans had a spring in their step , let’s keep our top 6 status with the view to kick on , exciting times

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    From my seat Doidge's "goal" was an OG. He had a good game today but he could have had a hatrick with a good headed chance, the "goal" and then the one in the second half where he blasted it at the keeper when any composure would have seen an easy finish. Another one of Heck's signings along with Naismith, Newell and Hallberg who all look like they may be very useful additions.

Porteous played well but was very lucky not to concede the pen. I thought Stevenson was very good today albeit has was dribbled past a couple of times.

Good fighting performance that wasn't that dissimilar to the last two draws we have had at ER where we had some excellent spells but were also outplayed for good chunks of the game. On this occasion we got the rub of the green with Doidge's goal, the pen decision and some shocking finishing and decision making from Motherwell in the last third. Small margins and hopefully Jack will be a lucky as well as a good manager.
    Dont think could call that an OG. It was going in and hit the guy on the line

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Definitely Mallan.

How do you get your pics to appear that size on here?????

@hibs.net private member
    Dont think could call that an OG. It was going in and hit the guy on the line

Not from my view but the old eyes are possibly wrong. I thought he actually played it square when about 3 or 4 yards out in front of goal and with no-one to beat and his initial contact was never going in. It may have came back off him after that though. Regardless of the poor finishing he played well today and even worked a bit harder. It will be interesting to see who is right when the highlights are shown

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy

As soon as I clapped eyes on Hallberg I thought to myself that boy is a good footballer

He will only get better as he gets match fit

I thought today even although he played very well he had a couple of uncharacteristic slack moments getting caught in possession and a couple of slack passes that went astray

I have no doubt he will continue to learn from todays game against a very good Motherwell side in a match played at a very high tempo like an old fashioned cup tie and under the tutelage of Jack Ross hopefully he will only continue to improve

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    How do you get your pics to appear that size on here?????
    It seems to be a recent thing (update?) , but when posting screenshots from my phone using Tapatalk, I get the option of what size I want to send.

It seems to be a recent thing (update?) , but when posting screenshots from my phone using Tapatalk, I get the option of what size I want to send.
    Tapatalk? (Sorry to hijack this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Tapatalk? (Sorry to hijack this thread).
    It's an android application which simplifies using forums.

It's an android application which simplifies using forums.
    Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Cracking contribution from Mallan in his brief appearance.

Not bad for a player who I’ve read multiple times this week ‘contributes nothing’.

Think the fact we have guys like that to come off the bench - and Horgan, says we’ve got a much better squad than we thought a few weeks ago.
    Yes, today he contributed well. Hopefully that continues. Still doesn't start over anyone in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Not from my view but the old eyes are possibly wrong. I thought he actually played it square when about 3 or 4 yards out in front of goal and with no-one to beat and his initial contact was never going in. It may have came back off him after that though. Regardless of the poor finishing he played well today and even worked a bit harder. It will be interesting to see who is right when the highlights are shown
    https://twitter.com/WestPilton/statu...909179904?s=08

Felt like we have our club back again.

What a difference a few weeks make.

For those who missed it today you missed an exciting game and a Hibs team who gave everything.

We played some really good stuff 1st half .

Few things from me..

Flo - wonder if he’s ok after injury?
    Doidge - I actually really like the guy now - his work rate and winning headers was impressive.
    Hallberg - one of my favourite players now - continues to get better.
    Newell improving too - adds calmness and some excellent passing / set pieces.
    Marciano-watched him warm up at half time and looks like he’s heads elsewhere-also odd he doesn’t do GK related stuff at half time.
    Loved Kamberi getting the East stand going after he scored.

Can’t see Vela getting anywhere near team again.

2nd half I actually felt the Motherwell goal was coming as I felt we looked knackered after 60 mins. Not sure if it’s lack of fitness but subs definitely helped.

I still think a lack of defensive midfielder is something we desperately need.

Motherwell impressed me at times and if they had a finisher 2nd half and outcome may have been different.

Overall though a fun afternoon is horrible weather.

Side note..do Hibs ever open the boxes up during match day in Famous Five? I think the lower crowd was due to weather - famous five especially quite a few seats empty.
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 23-11-2019 at 08:32 PM.

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07
    https://twitter.com/WestPilton/statu...909179904?s=08

Cole looked offside for the Well goal!!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Thought Ryan struggled a bit today, particularly in the first half. Hallberg man of the match for me with honourable mentions for Newell and Doidge who are completely different players now that Hecky has gone.

I thought maxwell was shaky today. Poor touch from pass back early on, panicked a bit from another pass back. Strange punch back into the danger zone from a cross. Not sure if he should’ve came for cross that Naismith had to shepherd out of play

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dalkeith stu View Post
    Seriously? I might have opened the saturday night wine but thats nothing like offiside.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dalkeith stu View Post
    Never!

I had btts