hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Davis Cup

Left by mutual consent!

Davis Cup

Was working a late shift today so had the pleasure of being able to watch Andy Murray kick off Great Britain's Davis Cup campaign this morning with an extraordinary win. He may only have been up against the world no 179 but he was out of sorts and the Dutch lad played out of his skin. The way Andy held his nerve at 4-1 down in the final set tiebreak was vintage Murray.

Jamie Murray turned his usual exemplary doubles performance to clinch the tie later in the day (shame not to see the Murray brothers team up but I can understand why Andy doesn't want to overdo things).

We may be welcoming Josh Taylor to Easter Road this season (and rightly so) but if Hibs are looking for an embodiment of guts, determination, phenomenal talent and all round inspiration then Andy has it all.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Fine effort by the British team to reach the semi-finals, with Andy rested. It'll be tough against Spain, though Edmund's currently a set up on Lopez.

Why this format and the whole set up was allowed to pass as the Davis cup baffles me.
    It's a joke, Funded by Gerard Pique, hosted in his own country.
    It proper honks, The Davis cup will be damaged beyond repair by this association.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why this format and the whole set up was allowed to pass as the Davis cup baffles me.
    It's a joke, Funded by Gerard Pique, hosted in his own country.
    It proper honks, The Davis cup will be damaged beyond repair by this association.
    I haven't studied the new format in detail. Is it always going to be hosted in Spain? Don't agree with that if so.

However, from what I watched I thought it worked quite well overall. They definitely need to look at spreading the matches across more than one venue though as some were finishing after 3am. The players seemed to give it the thumbs up - and most of the top players were taking part too which isn't always the case when it's spread across the year.

I like the new format although it would have been better if certain superstars had managed to appear for their countries.

The old Davis Cup was strung out through the year and it was easy to lose touch, and interest in it.