hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't like the dumbing down of what's supposed to be a showpiece tournament to give lesser lights a chance of getting in via the back door and I would find it hard to take much satisfaction from qualifying this way. Some sort of 'B' tournament for the also-rans would be a better option.

No, Scotland were never world beaters, but we were hugely more competitive than we are now. Yes there were embarrassments along the way (Peru, Iran and Costa Rica spring to mind) but these took place at the tournaments proper and we were actually unfortunate not to make it past the group stages of the Euros and the World Cup on a couple of occasions.
    Pish. Rules were in place before a ball was kicked.

Get us in whatever way it takes.

It's been a generation since we last went to anything and I'm sick of watching utter dross from other qualifying regions while we're at home because we play in a region that's ridiculously competitive at the top end.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    I think we would have been the 9th best 3rd placed team once you take away the points from the San Marino games, so would have just missed out on the playoffs. I may be wrong though. And to an extent it's a moot point as things would have turned out differently if teams went in knowing that 3rd offered a potential playoff spot. But as you say, we have more of a claim than many of the teams competing for these Nations League spots and it's a particular kind of Scottishness that would begrudge us this chance. Let's hope the players step up and it's the start of an upward spiral for our game.
    No, we have more points than Greece and North Macedonia. So, we’re there on merit.

It’s not easy qualifying in Europe for any competition. There are lots of nations and some are the best in world, hence the reason no country outside of Europe has won the WC since 2002. And it took a very special team to do so.

Think folk should just start getting behind the national team. No wonder we have so many call offs. Cannae blame the players when they hear the negativity.

Left by mutual consent!
    So does anyone know when the draws are tomorrow and surely on tv?
    Thanks

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    So does anyone know when the draws are tomorrow and surely on tv?
    Thanks

Just checked the UEFA website and it starts at 12. Streamed live on their site.

That’s not really lucky though, it’s benefiting hopefully from the new format. We usually draw strong teams in our group and have no chance from the beginning.
    Exactly, we’ve had some horrendous groups over the years (I appreciate our awful FIFA ranking plays its part too). 2008 Euros we had both World Cup finalists and a quarter finalist in our group, and came pretty close to qualifying. We’re due a rub of the green!

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Exactly, we’ve had some horrendous groups over the years (I appreciate our awful FIFA ranking plays its part too). 2008 Euros we had both World Cup finalists and a quarter finalist in our group, and came pretty close to qualifying. We’re due a rub of the green!
    We’ve probably been in the top 2 or 3 most difficult groups every campaign from that group onwards. Obviously our ranking hasn’t helped but there are always “easier” better seeds but we never seem to get them.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Thanks mate 👍

Left by mutual consent!
    Definitely. Likes of NI or wales seem to face countries on the decline better seeded, we get Belgium and Russia, both completely on the up after the last World Cup.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    BBC website saying if we qualify, we'll be in englands group.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I dont care how we get there, just get there and watch the country go absolutely mental.

And off the back of it, we just might catch the imagination of the youngsters of today who want to be footballers in the future.

Is that cet?

Left by mutual consent!
    Definitely. Likes of NI or wales seem to face countries on the decline better seeded, we get Belgium and Russia, both completely on the up after the last World Cup.
    The last euro qualifier Wales had Belgium in their group, then had England and Russia in the actual Euro Group stage, then had World Cup finalists Croatia in this Euro qualifier. NI had Germany and Netherlands in this qualifier, as well as Germany and Poland in the Euro Group stage back in 2016.

Both nations have done remarkably well to qualify. Scotland should be finishing above Russia imo.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    The last euro qualifier Wales had Belgium in their group, then had England and Russia in the actual Euro Group stage, then had World Cup finalists Croatia in this Euro qualifier. NI had Germany and Netherlands in this qualifier, as well as Germany and Poland in the Euro Group stage back in 2016.

Both nations have done remarkably well to qualify. Scotland should be finishing above Russia imo.
    Russia where in transition focusing on having a squad for the World Cup they hosted. Didn’t Wales also have us in that group with Belgium?

NI have had it tough this time. When they qualified though they had Greece as top seeds and Hungary as second seeds. Both became utter pap. While Scotland had Belgium and Wales.

Left by mutual consent!
    Russia where in transition focusing on having a squad for the World Cup they hosted. Didn’t Wales also have us in that group with Belgium?

NI have had it tough this time. When they qualified though they had Greece as top seeds and Hungary as second seeds. Both became utter pap. While Scotland had Belgium and Wales.
    I think it was the 2014 World Cup qualifiers that Wales were in with Scotland. Croatia and Serbia were also in that, tough group all round.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think it was the 2014 World Cup qualifiers that Wales were in with Scotland. Croatia and Serbia were also in that, tough group all round.
    👍

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I dont care how we get there, just get there and watch the country go absolutely mental.

And off the back of it, we just might catch the imagination of the youngsters of today who want to be footballers in the future.
    Absolutely I remember tournaments like Euro 96. The day we played England you had to book into some pubs in advance, the whole country was at fever pitch. It was the same in 98 in France. If we get there the whole country will get behind the team.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    I think Scotland would struggle to beat Serbia if they were to play them. Serbia have only lost 2 of the 16 games played since the World Cup, which includes draws away to Portugal and Germany. Kolarov, Mitrovic, Ljajic, Milinkovic-Savic, Matic, Milivojevic and Tadic are some of the players they have.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think Scotland would struggle to beat Serbia if they were to play them. Serbia have only lost 2 of the 16 games played since the World Cup, which includes draws away to Portugal and Germany. Kolarov, Mitrovic, Ljajic, Milinkovic-Savic, Matic, Milivojevic and Tadic are some of the players they have.
    We get them at home then we will have the biggest chance ever of making a tournament. Could do with a bye though tbh.

Left by mutual consent!
    We get them at home then we will have the biggest chance ever of making a tournament. Could do with a bye though tbh.
    Is the final venue to be revealed tomorrow? Rep of Ireland v N Ireland would be a fantastic play off final for the neutral to watch.

Aye but we’ve got Mcginn
    Super John Mcginn
    I just don’t think you understand

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Getting Wales as bottom seed as they were on the rise was a terrible draw. They beat us home and away. Bizarrely we did the double on the top seed Croatia to balance out the “Peak Scotland” of the situation. Having a rising Belgium as second seed also was very Scotland.

J

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Also, Russia have form

Great Britain's four-man bobsleigh team finally receive bronze medals

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I actually think Norway will beat Serbs.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    It’s 12 noon CET, so I presume 11am UK time

We SHOULD win the semi final tie. Imo only chance we have in final would be if we get it at home and the hampden roar returns.

We're TWO games from reaching a major tournament where we would play 2 games at hampden and 1 at Wembley. Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    It’s 12 noon CET, so I presume 11am UK time
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by CorrieHibs View Post
    No, we have more points than Greece and North Macedonia. So, we’re there on merit.

It’s not easy qualifying in Europe for any competition. There are lots of nations and some are the best in world, hence the reason no country outside of Europe has won the WC since 2002. And it took a very special team to do so.

Think folk should just start getting behind the national team. No wonder we have so many call offs. Cannae blame the players when they hear the negativity.
    Not 100% sure you're right as Greece drew with the bottom side so would effectively have more points than us from the games that count. Anyway, we're splitting hairs as I agree with the general point that we are far too negative and feel we will fully deserve our place at the Euros if we make it through the playoffs.

The draw this morning is absolutely huge for this generation as qualification will be really difficult for the next three tournaments at least after this (ie fewer places available for WC and being promoted to a harder group in the Nations League). Missing out again would be heartbreaking.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    We SHOULD win the semi final tie. Imo only chance we have in final would be if we get it at home and the hampden roar returns.

We're TWO games from reaching a major tournament where we would play 2 games at hampden and 1 at Wembley. Amazing
    Should and Scotland 🤔

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Group will be the following:

England
    France
    Portugal
    Scotland

Not even the perennial easy draw kings England will be able to avoid the magnet pull Scotland has on "groups of death". However, if we get the easiest option (England, Poland, Czech Republic, Scotland) we will fail to win the playoffs.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Israel then

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.