hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh? How is it a massive 'slice of luck' when everyome knows the rules before it starts? And this scraping past teams thing, a win is a win, its just another way to slag of the national team which folk take great delight in doing. We WON our nations league group and absolutely deserve the chance to qualify.....as those are the rules. Jeez.
    I'm not saying we haven't earned the opportunity via the rules, but IMHO the new rules are daft and only serve to diminish the tournament. If they hadn't been brought in we'd be further away from qualifying than ever, so the timing is fortunate.

I'd simply rather see Scotland good enough to reach a major finals as they once did by being among the better teams in qualifying. Instead we're somehow still in with a chance of qualifying despite a series of humpings by Belgium and Russia and reaching new heights of humiliation by losing to Kazakhstan and Israel.

A couple of dead rubber wins over Cyprus and San Marino and suddenly we're rolling out Craig Brown to proclaim us potential world beaters.

If it's simply about giving a new generation of the tartan army a chance to don their kilts at a major tournament then fine, but I'd prefer to see us go there on footballing merit.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    That’s not really lucky though, it’s benefiting hopefully from the new format. We usually draw strong teams in our group and have no chance from the beginning.
    This gets trotted out as though it's somehow the luck of the draw and that we're always really unfortunate to be paired with stronger teams, whereas England are perceived to get easy draws. In fact it's down to us being so poor for so long that we've tumbled down the seeding pots and are therefore guaranteed to end up in groups we can't qualify from.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This gets trotted out as though it's somehow the luck of the draw and that we're always really unfortunate to be paired with stronger teams, whereas England are perceived to get easy draws. In fact it's down to us being so poor for so long that we've tumbled down the seeding pots and are therefore guaranteed to end up in groups we can't qualify from.
    But once you are a top seed the groups are obviously much easier.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    Russia are one of the hosts aren't they? would have to reschedule a few matches...
    Yip, and what about the teams the Russian players play for domestically?

Yes and the games that you have written off as meaningless rubbers all contribute to seedings and getting into 'easier' groups. I really dont see what your point is? I guarantee that if ROI or Nor Ireland get there via the play offs, plenty will be on here complaining how once again we arent at a tournament but the other home nations are??

Its almost like that you have mumped and moaned about how bad we are you dont want us to qualify as it would ruin your chances to critisizing the national team.

Left by mutual consent!
    The best team we had in numerous years we drew Italy France and Ukraine, two World Cup finalists and a Semi. This time we drew arguably the best team in world football. Last time we drew England Slovenia and Slovakia, this time England drew absolute lie downs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Yes and the games that you have written off as meaningless rubbers all contribute to seedings and getting into 'easier' groups. I really dont see what your point is? I guarantee that if ROI or Nor Ireland get there via the play offs, plenty will be on here complaining how once again we arent at a tournament but the other home nations are??

Its almost like that you have mumped and moaned about how bad we are you dont want us to qualify as it would ruin your chances to critisizing the national team.
    How about just back the National team instead of making up every excuse s to how ***** we are? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    But once you are a top seed the groups are obviously much easier.
    Of course it is you get teams like Scotland in your group

I think we can win the semi however unless the final is at home we should just concede and save the fans and the SFA some money.

I'm not saying we haven't earned the opportunity via the rules, but IMHO the new rules are daft and only serve to diminish the tournament. If they hadn't been brought in we'd be further away from qualifying than ever, so the timing is fortunate.

I'd simply rather see Scotland good enough to reach a major finals as they once did by being among the better teams in qualifying. Instead we're somehow still in with a chance of qualifying despite a series of humpings by Belgium and Russia and reaching new heights of humiliation by losing to Kazakhstan and Israel.

A couple of dead rubber wins over Cyprus and San Marino and suddenly we're rolling out Craig Brown to proclaim us potential world beaters.

If it's simply about giving a new generation of the tartan army a chance to don their kilts at a major tournament then fine, but I'd prefer to see us go there on footballing merit.
    But, we finished third and that would have been enough to gain a play off slot with or without the Nations League. Therefore, we are there on merit unlike Bulgaria, Hungary, Israel and Romania who didn’t finish third in their qualifying groups.

Plus it’s not easy, because Norway and Serbia aren’t mugs. Serbia got to the last 16 of the WC! God knows how they were in pot 3.
    Last edited by CorrieHibs; 20-11-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Denmark qualified because they were runners up in Yugoslavia's qualifying group - only the group winners went through automatically in 1992. Yugolslavia was in the middle of a civil war and break up into constituent countries.You would imagine the same logic would apply to Russia and we would go.

Quote Originally Posted by CorrieHibs View Post
    But, we finished third and that would have been enough to gain a play off slot with or without the Nations League. Therefore, we are there on merit unlike Bulgaria, Hungary, Israel and Romania who didn’t finish third in their qualifying groups.

Plus it’s not easy, because Norway and Serbia aren’t mugs. Serbia got to the last 16 of the WC! God knows how they were in pot 3.
    The play offs are based only on the NL, nothing to do with where teams finished in Euro qualifying groups.
    Who knows what they’ll dream up for next NL but we’ll be in the B division with much harder opposition than Albania & Israel, so it probably won’t matter for Scotland.
    It might offer up a couple of play off spots for the World Cup but nothing like the 4 spots up for grabs at the Euros.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    The play offs are based only on the NL, nothing to do with where teams finished in Euro qualifying groups.
    Who knows what they’ll dream up for next NL but we’ll be in the B division with much harder opposition than Albania & Israel, so it probably won’t matter for Scotland.
    It might offer up a couple of play off spots for the World Cup but nothing like the 4 spots up for grabs at the Euros.
    Is the NL an annual tournament? If so, places for Euro and WC would only be up for grabs every 2 years. Our best bet would be to get relegated in-between tournaments so we have easier playoffs in the years that count.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Is the NL an annual tournament? If so, places for Euro and WC would only be up for grabs every 2 years. Our best bet would be to get relegated in-between tournaments so we have easier playoffs in the years that count.
    Is it not a special one off anniversary tournament, hence why group games are being held all over Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Is it not a special one off anniversary tournament, hence why group games are being held all over Europe.
    I think it is intended to be used for Euro's qualification, not World Cup, going forward with promotion and relegation so Scotland won their group and are promoted from the C group of teams to the B group of teams for the next NL competition feeding in to Euro 24.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    The NL provides some meaningful games, that would usually just be pointless friendlies. It gives access to playoffs which I think is totally fair, and if it lets a lesser nation into the Euros once every 4 years what's the big deal? Europe has a huge glut of top-ranked teams that it's a huge deal when someone else breaks through and qualifies, we need to just make the most of what's infront of us instead of spending years sulking and lamenting how good we used to be.

We were that GOOD, in fact, we never got out of the first round of any tournament, so it's not even like we were regularly winning anything, just getting knocked out a round later than currently.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I was under the impression they were doing the NL every year. Every 4 years the current route to the Euros would be available.

I also thought that in 2 years time there was going to be a similar variant for world cup qualification.

The 2 years in 4 without a tournament were just for fun - and therefore advantageous to get relegated and have easier qualification routes. Although that would have a negative impact on coefficient.
    Mon the Hibs.

There’s definitely going to be a World Cup related NL but UEFA haven’t revealed the details yet.
    We’ll be in path B this time, so it might make sense to get relegated to C again for next Euros...
    Germany are being reinstated to A despite finishing bottom of their group, so they are clearly making stuff up as they go along.
    I’d guess there will be some related play off but not a direct entry to the World Cup, where there are quite enough European teams already.

Germany never got relegated cause more countries were invited to join,but your right ,big teams get away with things

Thanks guys, just made me even more confused 🤯

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    The NL provides some meaningful games, that would usually just be pointless friendlies. It gives access to playoffs which I think is totally fair, and if it lets a lesser nation into the Euros once every 4 years what's the big deal? Europe has a huge glut of top-ranked teams that it's a huge deal when someone else breaks through and qualifies, we need to just make the most of what's infront of us instead of spending years sulking and lamenting how good we used to be.

We were that GOOD, in fact, we never got out of the first round of any tournament, so it's not even like we were regularly winning anything, just getting knocked out a round later than currently.

Should point out that in spite of this new format, all the big names have made it to the tournament this year. The highest ranked team that hasn't (yet) qualified is Iceland, and they probably will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

Should point out that in spite of this new format, all the big names have made it to the tournament this year. The highest ranked team that hasn't (yet) qualified is Iceland, and they probably will anyway.
    6 currently unqualified teams are FIFA ranked higher than Iceland.

We were actually good enough to get to the later stages of tournaments in the past it's just a lack of self belief that stopped us.

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    There’s definitely going to be a World Cup related NL but UEFA haven’t revealed the details yet.
    We’ll be in path B this time, so it might make sense to get relegated to C again for next Euros...
    Germany are being reinstated to A despite finishing bottom of their group, so they are clearly making stuff up as they go along.
    I’d guess there will be some related play off but not a direct entry to the World Cup, where there are quite enough European teams already.
    Wouldn't it be easier for Germany to qualify for a play-off if they were in B rather than A so I'm not sure how it helps them.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Draw on Friday to determine who we will play in the semi and if we will get home advantage for the final if we win our semi.

Massively need home advantage as I can’t see us going to either Norway or Serbia and winning.
    This is the way I see it. Not really bothered who we draw in the list for the Semi as I think we're more than capable to beat any of them at Hampden. So its the wether we get home advantage or not for the Final is what I'm really looking out for. Don't fancy going away against Serbia or Norway however would be a lot more confident at home!

The nations league win has given us the advantage of a home semi final in the play off.

What of our possible semi final opponents?
    Romania are highest ranked in the Fifa rankings at an impressive 29th which is above that of both our possible opponents in the final, so hope we avoid them
    The rest are ranked as follows:
    50th Hungary
    53rd Scotland
    61st Bulgaria
    89th Israel

Hopefully home advantage will be enough to see us through to the final.

Best hope of progression after that is a home draw against Serbia or Norway.
    Both good and improving teams unfortunately.
    Their current Fifa rankings are as follows:
    33rd Serbia
    45th Norway

IMO Serbia are the better team of the 2 and we would stand a better chance against Norway in a British football type game. Norway have home advantage in their semi final so that may tip the tie in their favour which i think would benefit Scotland.

The draw is on Friday. Fingers firmly crossed for a home draw for the final.

Re the big picture Scotland need to get into pot 2 to have a realistic chance of qualifying automatically for tournaments.
    Otherwise you are relying on getting drawn in a group with one of the weaker 2nd pot teams such as Denmark.

In the qualification just finished Scotland came out of pot 3 and comfortably finished 3rd with the loss in Kazakhstan rendered meaningless.
    When they drew Belgium & Russia only a madman would have put money on them qualifying and the clever money would have been firmly on 3rd.
    Pointless fact; Scotland finished with the 3rd top points total of teams that finished 3rd in their groups after Iceland and Norway.

P.S. the latest Fifa ranking come out before the end of the month and will hopefully see Scotland break into the Top 50.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 21-11-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CorrieHibs View Post

I think we would have been the 9th best 3rd placed team once you take away the points from the San Marino games, so would have just missed out on the playoffs. I may be wrong though. And to an extent it's a moot point as things would have turned out differently if teams went in knowing that 3rd offered a potential playoff spot. But as you say, we have more of a claim than many of the teams competing for these Nations League spots and it's a particular kind of Scottishness that would begrudge us this chance. Let's hope the players step up and it's the start of an upward spiral for our game.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    The nations league win has given us the advantage of a home semi final in the play off.

What of our possible semi final opponents?
    Romania are highest ranked in the Fifa rankings at an impressive 29th which is above that of both our possible opponents in the final, so hope we avoid them
    The rest are ranked as follows:
    50th Hungary
    53rd Scotland
    61st Bulgaria
    89th Israel
    Our opponents will therefore be Romania. Absolutely zero question.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    What time is the draw tomorrow?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    What time is the draw tomorrow?
    And is it on tv?

Left by mutual consent!

I just don't like the dumbing down of what's supposed to be a showpiece tournament to give lesser lights a chance of getting in via the back door and I would find it hard to take much satisfaction from qualifying this way. Some sort of 'B' tournament for the also-rans would be a better option.

No, Scotland were never world beaters, but we were hugely more competitive than we are now. Yes there were embarrassments along the way (Peru, Iran and Costa Rica spring to mind) but these took place at the tournaments proper and we were actually unfortunate not to make it past the group stages of the Euros and the World Cup on a couple of occasions.