This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On another note
    Who remembers getting “A Hundred Years of Hibs “
    As part of their Christmas in 1974
    Just before the centenary
    Just bought this 2nd hand off eBay this week. Looking forward to reading it

2. Log in to remove the advert

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    I picked one up on Amazon that I've not started yet called hibs and the pogues which looked quite interesting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    I picked one up on Amazon that I've not started yet called hibs and the pogues which looked quite interesting.

Jings. Never realised this was a book. Seen it on eBay a few times. The cover makes it look like an album, not a book.

Need to get it it to add to my Hibs book collection!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Jings. Never realised this was a book. Seen it on eBay a few times. The cover makes it look like an album, not a book.

Need to get it it to add to my Hibs book collection!
    Ditto

Just ordered it

Growing up in green : Supporting HIBS through the seventies by Sandy McNair is also a good shout for HIBS nerds
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 21-11-2019 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post
    Would it be inappropriate of me to suggest What Kept You Hibs, which covers the wider story and context of 2014 to 2017, and is 5 star rated on Amazon...?😀
    At the risk of blowing smoke up your ar5e......

Great read. The cup win is obviously everyone's favourite subject and it's a real page turner.

Mucking Fagic

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by darwenhibby View Post
    On another note
    I have one in mint condition signed by a certain P.Stanton.

On another note
    Old man had that along with the 72 wall poster of the LC win.

Great book, Was read over and over as a kid.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    “100 Years of Hibs” is a lovely thing to have and it’s a prized possession since I was a boy although including the Huns on the dust jacket was a bad move. However, when you read what John McKay crammed into “The Hibees” a short while later and then what Lugton did in three volumes that took us only to pre-war, then Thompson and Docherty’s offering looks a bit thin doesn’t it?

Not long until 2025 and another landmark for the bookshelves.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Hi folks, I'm looking for a book for my daughter, she goes to all the home games with us and a few away games and is always asking questions regarding our history.

What is the best Hibs book out there that talks about the History of Hibs and our origins and early years?

Cheers
    In my humble opinion, the best Hibs book ever is Tony Smiths book about his dad - a fascinating history of the best ever period in Hibs history.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    In my humble opinion, the best Hibs book ever is Tony Smiths book about his dad - a fascinating history of the best ever period in Hibs history.

Brings a tear to a glass eye

A truly great player

The Prince of Wingers

Growing up asking family members who the best player they ever saw was and regardless of allegiance the answer was always Gordon Smith

Legend

John Mackay's books-The Hibees(1986) and Hibernian The Complete Story(1990) are packed with facts and stats as well as history.

At Easter Road They Play and In Colours Green and White are both worth a read.
    The first covers The Famous Five and Baker eras. The second from mid sixties to 1990.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    I enjoyed “Taxi for Farrell” by Davie Farrell. More of a journeyman’s story, but plenty of Hibs content.

I also enjoyed Heartfelt by Aiden Smith, about a Hibby who follows Hearts for a season a good read.

J

100 Years of Hibs by Gerry Docherty 1975.
    This is I think the first proper book about Hibs. It's not too intense a history and has good pictures. Perfect for a first-timer. Might be hard to get hold of.
    Some of the books are too detailed for all but the fanatic.

Quote Originally Posted by son of haggart View Post
    There are a few good Hibs books in the charity shop at canonmills - Brandon terrace (in a shelf near the counter) - or at least there were when I was in on Friday

https://www.stcolumbashospice.org.uk...charity-shops/
    I donated them the other week

On another note
    I do, still got it

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Iggy Pope;5995692]“100 Years of Hibs” is a lovely thing to have and it’s a prized possession since I was a boy although including the Huns on the dust jacket was a bad move. However, when you read what John McKay crammed into “The Hibees” a short while later and then what Lugton did in three volumes that took us only to pre-war, then Thompson and Docherty’s offering looks a bit thin doesn’t it?

I played a small part in 100 years of Hibs & I'm included in the dedications. Gerry Docherty had enough material for about 5 books & when you added in Phil Thompson's draft it was a huge body of work. Hibs, or more likely Stewart Brown, really took over editorial control & were responsible for the much maligned cover & the severely reduced book which appeared. Their commercial instincts were spot on however as the book was top of the non fiction charts in Scotland for about 3 weeks after publication.
    Our proudest moment was when we found the 2 wonderful trophies, pictured near front of the book, in St Pats church & got them properly cleaned, restored & displayed. It's a shame the book was substantially reduced but it blazed the trail for so many others to follow & is still a fine read in its own right.

On another note
    I remember it well. Still got it kicking around although the dust jacket is in a right old state.

On another note
    That was a time before books became popular so it was special as was the "Hibees" a few years later.
    Last edited by Ray_; 23-11-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    I donated them the other week
    A very good cause

I bought about Ł40 worth of books there last week, but despite them being good value couldn’t bring myself to purchase yours for obvious reasons! I’m sure they’ll go to a good home

A very good cause

I bought about Ł40 worth of books there last week, but despite them being good value couldn’t bring myself to purchase yours for obvious reasons! I’m sure they’ll go to a good home
    Heartfelt?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    That was a time before books became popular so it was special as was the "Hibees" a few weeks later.
    I am sure I read somewhere that when Gerry Docherty approached HIBS about doing a book to mark the clubs 100 th anniversary Tom Hart said to him HIBS fans don’t read books

He didn’t know what he was starting

I also used to enjoy the fanzines HIBS Monthly and Mass Hibsteria

GGTTH

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I am sure I read somewhere that when Gerry Docherty approached HIBS about doing a book to mark the clubs 100 th anniversary Tom Hart said to him HIBS fans don’t read books

GGTTH
    The proclaimer was pretty good as well, that along with mass hibsteria were my must have when they came out.

Seem to remember a glasgow hibs fanzine that was not bad as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

GGTTH
    Not sure that's true Billy. Hibs were very supportive of the project that became 100 Years of Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Not sure that's true Billy. Hibs were very supportive of the project that became 100 Years of Hibs.

Did not intend it to it to be derogatory more of a good luck with it

Turned out ok don’t you agree?

Edit:

Will try and find Tom Harts quote I was referring to

Might have something to do with Tom Hart wanting to edit the original large draft into a readable marketable book

Might be wrong
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 22-11-2019 at 04:51 PM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    [QUOTE=brog;5995946]
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    “100 Years of Hibs” is a lovely thing to have and it’s a prized possession since I was a boy although including the Huns on the dust jacket was a bad move. However, when you read what John McKay crammed into “The Hibees” a short while later and then what Lugton did in three volumes that took us only to pre-war, then Thompson and Docherty’s offering looks a bit thin doesn’t it?

I played a small part in 100 years of Hibs & I'm included in the dedications. Gerry Docherty had enough material for about 5 books & when you added in Phil Thompson's draft it was a huge body of work. Hibs, or more likely Stewart Brown, really took over editorial control & were responsible for the much maligned cover & the severely reduced book which appeared. Their commercial instincts were spot on however as the book was top of the non fiction charts in Scotland for about 3 weeks after publication.
    Our proudest moment was when we found the 2 wonderful trophies, pictured near front of the book, in St Pats church & got them properly cleaned, restored & displayed. It's a shame the book was substantially reduced but it blazed the trail for so many others to follow & is still a fine read in its own right.
    Great Post Brog. I still have a copy, minus dust jacket. I loved reading about it, especially the Famous Five era. Lawrie Reilly had the Bowlers Rest, literally across the street from us and it made it all the more awesome for the ten year old me to read about that legendary man and his teamates exploits.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    On another note
    Me, and I still have it. As a 12 year old kid, I used to go to the players entrance to get the players autographs and this book is full of them. Oh the memories.💚

A very good cause

Was going to put them on here for free to a good Hibby but decided that that hospice was a good cause to donate to. Hopefully go to a good home and the hospice make a few quid.

Left by mutual consent!
    Itvine Welsh's Dead Man's Trousers is mostly about our Cup Final. Very funny if you like black humour. Cant wait for the movie. Speaking of movies i watched the Sunshine on Leith movies last Sunday afternoon. I had been to the stage show but it was the first time i had watched the movie. Brilliant way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
    Last edited by southsider; 23-11-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    [QUOTE=brog;5995946]
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post

It’s a good read but thin as I said and you seem to agree given your involvement, which I’d no idea of but I’m grateful to you, because as a 12 year old the book was something for me to cherish.
    I was schooled at St Pats primary and needless to say the church was a big part of that and the news of those early Edinburgh trophies created some excitement in those parts.
    Shame it was reduced. I remember a book that kicked about well prior to this, “The Hearts” by Albert Mackie published early or mid 60s which had a lot more content. I’m not sure if it was commercially successful in its time. I was given a copy handed down from somewhere which I read and then gave away to my Hertz mate in my teens. It’s pretty sought after now I believe!

What happened to the writers of 100YOH Broq, are they still around the Hibs?