hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marvin Bartley on Hecky

When asked who was the best manager he played under - Twitter.

"To be honest, it will sound like sitting on the fence I know, I enjoyed parts of all of them! Best on the training ground for sessions and learning was Paul though and he was the least successful!"

No surprise as he is widely regarded as an excellent coach. Maybe suited to that instead of manager.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Makes you wonder learning what ???

No evidence of amazing skill or knowledge on the pitch.

I mind when we ran a family pub, customers always said this lass was the best barmaid ever.
    Turns out she was giving out free booze all the time.
    That’s why she was the best barmaid.

So being best , but best why ???

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Hecky will in time admit he should not have given out those tequila shots.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Looking at the St Johnstone game the main failing with Heckingbottom during his time here was his tactics. Play two upfront and have a go and he'd probably have been much more successful. Unfortunately he was too afraid to lose games and it's a massive failing as a, manager if you can't get the tactics right. I don't find it hard to believe he was excellent on the training ground, there were plenty stories during his time that players liked working with them. He's probably ideal for someone as a youth academy or sporting director.

Quote Originally Posted by Niffy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Makes you wonder learning what ???

No evidence of amazing skill or knowledge on the pitch.

I mind when we ran a family pub, customers always said this lass was the best barmaid ever.
    Turns out she was giving out free booze all the time.
    That’s why she was the best barmaid.

So being best , but best why ???
    It literally says it in the quote. Best for quality of training sessions and learning eg developing players. It’s not always easy when you’re trying to implement a style which is completely different to what’s went before as well as gelling a new team together.

Guy tried his best, just didn’t work out for him

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Looking at the St Johnstone game the main failing with Heckingbottom during his time here was his tactics. Play two upfront and have a go and he'd probably have been much more successful. Unfortunately he was too afraid to lose games and it's a massive failing as a, manager if you can't get the tactics right. I don't find it hard to believe he was excellent on the training ground, there were plenty stories during his time that players liked working with them. He's probably ideal for someone as a youth academy or sporting director.
    Correct. He needed somewhere more experienced beside him who could guide him through games as he is clearly a very knowledgeable coach.

First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7
    bit unsure about this as I heard that they never did set pieces this season at all ,or spoken about the opposition prior to playing them and it was all about do our job and let the opposition worry about us

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgie greens View Post
    bit unsure about this as I heard that they never did set pieces this season at all ,or spoken about the opposition prior to playing them and it was all about do our job and let the opposition worry about us
    Bartley hasnt been here this season though so he is basing it on the back end of last season

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    It's strange how highly regarded Heckingbottom is by the players/ex players Usually when results are as poor players will blame the manager as the alternative is that the blame lies with them. Generalising maybe but its often a truism.

A common theme from supporters, that I agree with, is that he seemed to talk a good game but everyone struggled to see any of the things he talked about being played out on the pitch. There was some sort of disconnect between ideas and execution. I've no doubt Heckingbottom was a decent bloke who treated the players well but I find this insistence that he was a good coach hard to swallow, as the evidence of my eyes (when I didn't have my head in my hands) told me something completely different. The team set up was a mess..without the ball we were shapeless and.our formation didn't seem to accommodate our better players in their best positions. Ex and current pros I've spoken to were also pretty damning on the team set up. Maybe I'm missing something on Heckingbottom but I cant see how he was a good coach at all.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain.... View Post
    It's strange how highly regarded Heckingbottom is by the players/ex players Usually when results are as poor players will blame the manager as the alternative is that the blame lies with them. Generalising maybe but its often a truism.

A common theme from supporters, that I agree with, is that he seemed to talk a good game but everyone struggled to see any of the things he talked about being played out on the pitch. There was some sort of disconnect between ideas and execution. I've no doubt Heckingbottom was a decent bloke who treated the players well but I find this insistence that he was a good coach hard to swallow, as the evidence of my eyes (when I didn't have my head in my hands) told me something completely different. The team set up was a mess..without the ball we were shapeless and.our formation didn't seem to accommodate our better players in their best positions. Ex and current pros I've spoken to were also pretty damning on the team set up. Maybe I'm missing something on Heckingbottom but I cant see how he was a good coach at all.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    If the players are talking about coaching to improve skill and fitness and he's bringing new ideas and keeping it varied rather than the same old stuff they've been doing for years you can see how they'd feel they were benefiting individually. They're maybe not talking about tactical coaching and thinking about their own individual improvements.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    It literally says it in the quote. Best for quality of training sessions and learning eg developing players. It’s not always easy when you’re trying to implement a style which is completely different to what’s went before as well as gelling a new team together.

Guy tried his best, just didn’t work out for him

I’m struggling to think of a single player who noticeably improved under Hecky. The players might have enjoyed going to work, but what did it produce? Certainly none of our younger players have developed under his charge.

@hibs.net private member
    Bartley seems to be in the press every week talking about Hibs. I’d be pissed off if an ex Old Firm player who was now at Hibs talked constantly about their old club. He should be concentrating on his new club instead looking backwards all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Bartley seems to be in the press every week talking about Hibs. I’d be pissed off if an ex Old Firm player who was now at Hibs talked constantly about their old club. He should be concentrating on his new club instead looking backwards all the time.
    He's been branching out and doing a lot of media work to be fair, he's gonna be talking about more than just his current club. I'm sure Livi will be fine with it so long as he keeps performing for them!

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlienDoidge9
    Didn't griffiths also come out and say Fenlon was the best coach he'd ever worked under and was owe a lot to him

Dont think thats true at all. Ive watched them working on corners loads of times before he left. And the teams meetings prior to games after training was all about the oppo. He'd be probably the first manager ever to ignore the oppo!

Also main failings was persistence in trying to shoehorn players into a team like Mallan and Vela ..who just don't give us enough of the attributes needed in a midfielder ....Mallan has a couple of attributes, that we can benefit from as a sub coming on in games, Vela needs to find a sharpness and awareness of how the game plays up here, both also need to find an extra yard of pace ! Hecky couldn't play 2 up front cos he wanted at least Mallan starting would love him to tell us all what he thought he gave us ..that outweighed what we lost with him playing !!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Old firm sells more papers or gets more clicks than Hibs.

Hibs sells more papers or gets more clicks than livvy...

That's how it works.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Can’t believe that.

Our goal at Aberdeen was a move clearly from the training ground (with a bit of luck also).

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForHeros16 View Post
    Didn't griffiths also come out and say Fenlon was the best coach he'd ever worked under and was owe a lot to him

Pat was great with Leigh to be fair. Managed him brilliantly. One of his biggest achievements imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I’m struggling to think of a single player who noticeably improved under Hecky. The players might have enjoyed going to work, but what did it produce? Certainly none of our younger players have developed under his charge.
    I know I've made this point before, so apologies, but I think his poor tactics will have led to an improvement in skill or fitness not being noticed. Given May only had a week with the players and the performance we witnessed in Perth I'm fairly confident the training, etc was all pretty good, it was just the tactical dude if things on match day that let us down badly. Ultimately Hecky cost himself his job with his poor decision making tactically.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    Also main failings was persistence in trying to shoehorn players into a team like Mallan and Vela ..who just don't give us enough of the attributes needed in a midfielder ....Mallan has a couple of attributes, that we can benefit from as a sub coming on in games, Vela needs to find a sharpness and awareness of how the game plays up here, both also need to find an extra yard of pace ! Hecky couldn't play 2 up front cos he wanted at least Mallan starting would love him to tell us all what he thought he gave us ..that outweighed what we lost with him playing !!
    Absolutely agree, I was including team set up as tactical decision making. Same issue the English national team had for years, just because you've two players who are great in the same role doesn't mean you play them both and go out with an unbalanced team.

I actually think most, if not all of his signings will come good, they've shown it in flashes while with us, the most frustrating part of his reign for me was the insistence on trying to just shoehorn players in to the team and hope a formation could be made out of it.

It's a strange one as it was made clear to me by a first team player how much more tactical work was done under Hecky than under Lennon, ie an awful lot! But it clearly didn't translate into results and you have to wonder whether it might be better, under our current structure, for the first team manager to be more of a motivational figurehead with a simple footballing identity, backed up by a strategic/coaching team who concentrate on the minutiae.

The failure of Hecky doesn't necessarily mean his model is intrinsically wrong by the way, and the Lennon model (if we can call it that) was certainly creaking badly towards the end. But it's thrown into question any assumptions I'd made that having a manager with a laser-like focus on the detail is the only way forward for us.

Heard from who? A Jambo by any chance?

Testimonial Due
    Think there was too much detail and instruction. We played with an energetic gay abandon on Saturday. Bill Shankly once said football is a simple game made complicated by managers.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Heckingbottom obviously was a good coach with good ideas, his problem is he didn’t bring in the right players to implement what he wanted to do. When it was obvious this was the case he stubbornly carried on with tactics that weren’t working.

United we stand here....

I think he'll get a good coaching job down south. For whatever reason it's not worked as manager. Hibs and Leeds saw it very quickly and he was on the slide towards the end with Barnsley. Sure he'll realise that himself now.

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Bartley hasnt been here this season though so he is basing it on the back end of last season

Yep, and results under Hecky last season were much better than this.

W: 6, D: 4, L: 3 (league games only)

For whatever reason, it just hasn't worked out here. I'm happy he's gone but don't feel any ill will towards him.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Heckingbottom obviously was a good coach with good ideas, his problem is he didn’t bring in the right players to implement what he wanted to do. When it was obvious this was the case he stubbornly carried on with tactics that weren’t working.
    Good post LB, agree with all of that.

Set piece routines are the only thing we’ve looked good at this season so that would be surprising

I dunno about not caring about the opposition. This graphic via some Rangers twitter account suggests that we may have set up to exploit St Johnstone's weak points on Saturday

https://twitter.com/TheGersReport/st...99082128658432