hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bfore Kennedys name was mentioned my gut instinct told me a young hands on coach would be the best option. Kennedy would have the respect of the players giving he is assistant at a club that not only always wins our league but is also doing very well in the Europa league. Here is the thing though it wont be him who gets the job.
    Here’s the thing though, I think you’re wrong. Easy that isn’t it?

Care to say why you think that or who you think might?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    No apologies required your just passing on info so thank you. I wonder who he would want as his assistant should he get the gig.
    John Doolan and we have a winner.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    No apologies required your just passing on info so thank you. I wonder who he would want as his assistant should he get the gig.
    Kenny Miller would be a good fit for that role.....depending on how they get on of course.

Shaun Maloney another option maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    All I heard was he had been offered it and were waiting on his decision, from that I assumed we had spoken to Celtic. It’s 3rd hand info via a former Hibs player. Definitely one to file under the “just passing on what I’ve heard”. As I said in my original post I have no idea of the accuracy. Sorry I can’t be any more specific.
    Definitely something in it. Douglas Alexander who first broke this story on Sunday also called Appleton as our first choice last time round.

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    I wonder who he would want as his assistant should he get the gig.
    If he brought Broony as player/coach and made his first signing as Sparky on loan, there wouldn't be enough Daffy gifs left in the world......

Would prefer him to Ross, apparently a well thought of coach, may be ready to take step up. Jack Ross is for me over rated, he has not manged higher than Scottish Championship or English League One. Kennedy has worked with more talented players, may be worth a chance..

Quote Originally Posted by Topographic Hibby View Post
    If he brought Broony as player/coach and made his first signing as Sparky on loan, there wouldn't be enough Daffy gifs left in the world......
    Normally I wouldn't want to even be in the same room as the mother in law but if we managed to get all of those deals done I might even give the foul old bag a hug........

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Any experienced manager will have failed somewhere else so they’re just as much a risk as a young manager, you just know they’re not going to be any better than average.

A young manager coming up might be the next big thing

Jack Ross seems to be the experienced manager most people want, ask the Sunderland fans if they think he’d be a safe bet for us and I doubt you’d get a positive answer.
    Sunderland are a completely different ball game to what we are facing.

They are under immense pressure to get promoted to at least the Championship and I suspect most of their fans see them as a Premier League club.

I'm sure Ross is disappointed that he couldn't manage to get them up last season but they were only 6 points away from automatic promotion and then lost in the last seconds in the play offs.

Sunderland only lost 10 games with Jack Ross as manager which is pretty decent.

I'd say his record is quite good.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

They are under immense pressure to get promoted to at least the Championship and I suspect most of their fans see them as a Premier League club.

I'm sure Ross is disappointed that he couldn't manage to get them up last season but they were only 6 points away from automatic promotion and then lost in the last seconds in the play offs.

That’s not what the Sunderland fans have been saying that I’ve read.

I fear a bit if it's Kennedy mid season on a decent contract. Always tough to come in and get ideas across with none of your own players without a summer on the training pitch. Hibs have almost never appointed a manager mid season who has been a success. Collins was for a bit and obviously McLeish (different circumstances really)

Wonder what Lennon is saying to Kennedy about us? Clearly had a very enjoyable and successful time here but left on bad terms.

FWIW Kennedy seems a good coach, think initially he was a coach out of sympathy but has clearly kicked on and appears good.

He would have good knowledge of the Scottish game and you would imagine reasonable contacts, probably help us get 1 or 2 Celtic players in.

My main fear is that he’s only 36, would he get the respect of all the players? It’s s huge job never mind for a 36 year old with no management experience

Hes always seemed a bit of a leader though.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    He's certainly cut his teeth. 36 now, has been a scout, a coach (youth team and senior) and an assistant. Worked under Delia, Brendan Rodgers and Lennon so should have learnt a thing or two.

Being your own man is very different but the pedigree is good. Just wish we were in a better position as I think its much easier for a young inexperienced manager to take over a club who is on the up rather than one that has been struggling and underachieving.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Sunderland Fan Forums are a mirror image of our own forum during the Hecky months

They wanted JR gone

Poor recruitment, failure to see games out, one up front, lack of penetration, defensive football, too many draws etc, etc

Sound familiar?

JR himself admitted he ultimately failed with the biggest budget in the League according to one poster

Dont take my word for it free to view online

So Kennedy has a job for life promised by Celtic following his injury as part of his insurance. They’ve coached him through to this point and it’s the reason Lennon has to dump his pals to take the job. He won’t be moving. The idea is he takes from Lennon in 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    So Kennedy has a job for life promised by Celtic following his injury as part of his insurance. They’ve coached him through to this point and it’s the reason Lennon has to dump his pals to take the job. He won’t be moving. The idea is he takes from Lennon in 2 years.
    accurate assessment IMO

Or he's sent out by Celtic for manager experience with Hibs until he gets the inevitable phone call ?

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    That’s not what the Sunderland fans have been saying that I’ve read.
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Sunderland Fan Forums are a mirror image of our own forum during the Hecky months

They wanted JR gone

Poor recruitment, failure to see games out, one up front, lack of penetration, defensive football, too many draws etc, etc

Sound familiar?

JR himself admitted he ultimately failed with the biggest budget in the League according to one poster

Dont take my word for it free to view online
    Fair enough I would agree that failing to get them promoted is a negative against his name but I do think they are a bit of a basket case of a club and have been for a number of years.

They've not exactly done too well since Ross left.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    So a part of his insurance is he gets the Celtic job that can't possibly be right.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    So a part of his insurance is he gets the Celtic job that can't possibly be right.
    In and internet and fakes news world everything is possible until it’s not.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Fair enough I would agree that failing to get them promoted is a negative against his name but I do think they are a bit of a basket case of a club and have been for a number of years.

They've not exactly done too well since Ross left.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Haha. Good catch ...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Haha. Good catch ...
    Lawell was very clear at a dinner with about 40 people. They fully expect Kennedy to be a future head coach at Celtic. The job for life quote came from him too.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Does anyone know for sure that we've even had talks with Kennedy?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Does anyone know for sure that we've even had talks with Kennedy?
    You'd think so if he's at the top of the list but I'm sure I read somewhere we're going to approach Celtic for permission to talk to him today

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    What if Lennon doesn’t want to go in two years? Maybe he carries on winning titles and cups, qualifying for and doing well in Europe etc, etc.

Will Celtic really get rid of a successful manager, who will clearly have many years ahead of him ( age wise) in order to promote Kennedy?

Stein had to serve his managerial apprenticeship before taking the Celtic job, Kennedy will need to do so too.

My worry is Kennedy might be a very good coach but might flop as a manager. It does seem a very Hibs type appointment though. Mowbray, Collins, Stubbs etc. We've had tried abd tested managers who've been disasters. I'm open to it.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    You'd think so if he's at the top of the list but I'm sure I read somewhere we're going to approach Celtic for permission to talk to him today
    That suggests to me that Kennedy is on a "back up" list. It could be the case that we've been unable to agree contract (s) with our preferred candidate(s)

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Or he's sent out by Celtic for manager experience with Hibs until he gets the inevitable phone call ?
    Could well be right, we might be being viewed as ‘work experience’ for him, but it’s a huge personal risk if that is the case. If he doesn’t do well, and very well at Hibs, there is no way he would ever be accepted as boss at Celtic.

Accept the "Job for life" due to his career being cut short by injury. That doesn't mean he can't leave for another club though as there is no way on earth he is taking over from Lennon in 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I fear a bit if it's Kennedy mid season on a decent contract. Always tough to come in and get ideas across with none of your own players without a summer on the training pitch. Hibs have almost never appointed a manager mid season who has been a success. Collins was for a bit and obviously McLeish (different circumstances really)
    Have we appointed a manager closed season that’s been a success in recent years?