hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have we appointed a manager closed season that’s been a success in recent years?
    Stubbs, Lennon

Going further Mowbray ...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Have we appointed a manager closed season that’s been a success in recent years?
    What do you mean? Stubbs? Lennon? Mowbray? The only successes we've appointed in nearly 20 years have been in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Accept the "Job for life" due to his career being cut short by injury. That doesn't mean he can't leave for another club though as there is no way on earth he is taking over from Lennon in 2 years.
    Yep. But he’s surely not what Hibs are after right now. He won’t lead the dressing room that for sure.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Yep. But he’s surely not what Hibs are after right now. He won’t lead the dressing room that for sure.
    You know that how?

@hibs.net private member
    No idea how his appointment would pan out but I hope he gets the gig. I like the idea of a young coach who was a good player. It has a bit of teh Stubbs feel about it too which I like.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    You know that how?
    Aye quite a strange assumption based on who knows what

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    🗣 Callum McGregor on John Kennedy: “Day-to-day, everybody will tell you how good John is and I think it's imperative from the club that we manage to keep him here. I think everyone will say the same and tell you how much of an influence he is. For us, we hope that he stays."

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    🗣 Callum McGregor on John Kennedy: “Day-to-day, everybody will tell you how good John is and I think it's imperative from the club that we manage to keep him here. I think everyone will say the same and tell you how much of an influence he is. For us, we hope that he stays."
    Aye but what would he know compared to some posters on Hibs.net?

Kennedy, a very good player whose career was cut short by injury, worked his way up through the Celtic system to become assistant coach, even at 36 he'll be well respected by the players due to the level at which he played. For some of the posters who ask about experience, I give you Mowbray and Stubbs, both were U20's coaches and both had a defensive background., both played attractive attacking football.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Kennedy, a very good player whose career was cut short by injury, worked his way up through the Celtic system to become assistant coach, even at 36 he'll be well respected by the players due to the level at which he played. For some of the posters who ask about experience, I give you Mowbray and Stubbs, both were U20's coaches and both had a defensive background., both played attractive attacking football.
    That's my take the future Celtic Manager I don't see why he needs to go anywhere else to learn.
    Liverpool promoted from within quite successful.
    But I don't see anywhere that Hibs have asked permission or that celtic have given it or declined it .
    Is this not all a bit Chinese whispers

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    That's my take the future Celtic Manager I don't see why he needs to go anywhere else to learn.
    Liverpool promoted from within quite successful.
    But I don't see anywhere that Hibs have asked permission or that celtic have given it or declined it .
    Is this not all a bit Chinese whispers

Maybe Celtic gig isn't quite ready for him, Lennon had the experience Celtic needed, we have a system at Hibs at the moment and that's young up and coming coaches, with Whittaker having his badges and Daz/Gray doing theirs, we are now seeing our own succession plan being put in place.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Maybe Celtic gig isn't quite ready for him, Lennon had the experience Celtic needed, we have a system at Hibs at the moment and that's young up and coming coaches, with Whittaker having his badges and Daz/Gray doing theirs, we are now seeing our own succession plan being put in place.
    Why would he be ready for Hibs if not Celtic? Lennon proved that Hibs is a harder job. If he isn't ready for them I don't want him here.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Why would he be ready for Hibs if not Celtic? Lennon proved that Hibs is a harder job. If he isn't ready for them I don't want him here.
    It's funny to me that this is true, yet the fact that Lennon ended up failing at hibs after a couple of good years will get forgotten about because he sleepwalked celtic to another title that probably anyone with any experience at all could have done. Celtic is a step up in your wages and good for your CV, Hibs is a much harder job.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    It's funny to me that this is true, yet the fact that Lennon ended up failing at hibs after a couple of good years will get forgotten about because he sleepwalked celtic to another title that probably anyone with any experience at all could have done. Celtic is a step up in your wages and good for your CV, Hibs is a much harder job.
    Celtic is high risk though, the consequences of having a failure there are colossal for Lennon (or anyone else).

If they don't win 10 in a row then what does that do for his CV? For his legacy with the Celtic fans?

I wouldn't pretend for a second to think the Hibs job is easy but you could carry a good few bad results on your way to 3rd and 4th place finishes and still be our most successful manager in decades.

Beat Hearts more than they beat us, a few good cup runs, put up a solid fight against the OF and generally beat the teams you'd expect us to be beating and you'll find yourself being some sort of legend.

All of the managers who failed at Hibs have gone on to get jobs elsewhere, they weren't finished. A high profile failure at Celtic might alter your position as a manager in the football world fairly dramatically.
    Last edited by Smartie; 13-11-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Because Lennon would be clueless without him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No chance.

Anyone who thinks managing Hibs is more difficult than managing Celtic should get a grip.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Celtic is high risk though, the consequences of having a failure there are colossal for Lennon (or anyone else).

If they don't win 10 in a row then what does that do for his CV? For his legacy with the Celtic fans?

I wouldn't pretend for a second to think the Hibs job is easy but you can carry a few bad results on your way to 3rd and 4th place finishes and still be our most successful manager in decades.

Beat Hearts more than they beat us, a few good cup runs, put up a solid fight against the OF and generally beat the teams you'd expect us to be beating and you'll find yourself being some sort of legend.

All of the managers who failed at Hibs have gone on to get jobs elsewhere, they weren't finished. A high profile failure at Celtic might alter your position as a manager in the football world.
    Yeah agree with that, just also think that finishing 3rd or 4th with hibs is a lot harder than folk think. How many seasons have we actually beat the teams we expect to beat? if the job was that simple then we would be a lot more successful than we are.

Celtics most high profile failures recently were Ronny Deila who is back managing in Norway for the last 2 years and Tony Mowbray who is still doing OK kicking around the English Championship. Even John Barnes got another managerial job after his time at Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    Yeah agree with that, just also think that finishing 3rd or 4th with hibs is a lot harder than folk think. How many seasons have we actually beat the teams we expect to beat? if the job was that simple then we would be a lot more successful than we are.

Celtics most high profile failures recently were Ronny Deila who is back managing in Norway for the last 2 years and Tony Mowbray who is still doing OK kicking around the English Championship. Even John Barnes got another managerial job after his time at Celtic.
    Deila wasn't a disaster - he still managed to win the league every year. Anyone now who fails to win the league will be considered to be a disaster, which is a high bar with and improved Sevco.

Mowbray failed but wasn't given much of a chance so he still had enough in the bank to secure him a couple of Championship level jobs in England.

Barnes was a disaster, and Tranmere is quite a drop in level from Celtic.

And going back further, Liam Brady, did he ever get another job? Did Lou Macari get much after Celtic?

Being Celtic manager is, I am sure, great when the going is good. I don't fancy it much in times of trouble.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Deila wasn't a disaster - he still managed to win the league every year. Anyone now who fails to win the league will be considered to be a disaster, which is a high bar with and improved Sevco.

Mowbray failed but wasn't given much of a chance so he still had enough in the bank to secure him a couple of Championship level jobs in England.

Barnes was a disaster, and Tranmere is quite a drop in level from Celtic.

And going back further, Liam Brady, did he ever get another job? Did Lou Macari get much after Celtic?

Being Celtic manager is, I am sure, great when the going is good. I don't fancy it much in times of trouble.
    Macari went back to Stoke, which is who he went to Celtic from. Brady only managed Celtic and Brighton his entire career. That was also a bit of a different time, nowadays the chance of anyone outside rangers mounting a challenge is slim to none as the financial gap is enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Anyone who thinks managing Hibs is more difficult than managing Celtic should get a grip.
    I think there's confusion here over yes it's a bigger job at Celtic with more pressure, expectation and characters to manage. However, it's a lot easier to have domestic success at Celtic over Hibs, Hearts, Brechin and everyone inbetween when you have all the resources to hand etc.

Its easier to win football matches and trophies at Celtic over Hibs. Then Celtic are expected to win them wheras Hibs aren't measured on that level of success expectation. I see what both sides are meaning

@hibs.net private member
    Kennedy and Mathie worked together at Celtic...

@hibs.net private member
    If there is a decision to be made by Kennedy it's a big one. Pretty much got a nailed down job with Celtic indefinately, perhaps the main gig in years to come. Let's say he comes to hibs and it doesnt work out, back to square one coaching celtic under 18's. No danger Celtic fans would want him in charge if he's failed at Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar
    "SKY Sports understands"...Hibs to make approach for Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
    "SKY Sports understands"...Hibs to make approach for Kennedy.
    How long does it take to make an approach? Have they not been reporting this for a couple of days now.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    How long does it take to make an approach? Have they not been reporting this for a couple of days now.
    Aye, we’ve been “making an approach” since Sunday. Surely we know by now whether he’s up for it or not.

exactly

Hello Peter LD here can we speak to ...not a chance goodbye

@hibs.net private member
    Not entirely sure how these things work but it would be pretty fullish of hibs to identify a future management candidate who has zero intetest of coming here. He must've expressed an interest through a 3rd party and we are now reliant on Celtic giving us formal authority to speak to him. We'd look pretty daft to focus on someone who's going to knock us back.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I agree with this. St Johnstone have worked that way for years with the exception of Steve Lomas and they've been punching well above their weight for well over a decade, European football and even winning a Scottish Cup!

Coyle - promoted
    McInness - promoted
    Lomas - brought in
    Wright - promoted

Add in Callum Davidson who became a really good coach.

You'd expect Alec Cleland or Alan Maybury to be promoted to manager once Wright leaves. They've got it spot on.

I know St Johnstone work to a tiny budget so suits them to promote but it breeds continuity throughout the club without any major upheaval when someone moves on. Certainly worked for them.
    Excellent post.