hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Left by mutual consent!

The supposedly 'incredible infrastructure at Hearts'

I've noticed that since Levein was sacked a number of pundits have made a big deal about how the 'infrastructure' at Hearts is a huge selling point for a new boss. Steven Thomson went so far as to describe it as 'incredible' on Sportscene.

What am I missing here? In what way is the 'infrastructure' so wonderful? A new main stand that has run millions of pounds over budget and still isn't finished despite the club having to had to rely on supporter donations, three other tinpot stands that needs a good overhaul, a child-sized pitch and a training facility they rent from (and share with) Heriot-Watt University.

In what way does this all set Hearts apart from other clubs when it comes to 'infrastructure'?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've noticed that since Levein was sacked a number of pundits have made a big deal about how the 'infrastructure' at Hearts is a huge selling point for a new boss. Steven Thomson went so far as to describe it as 'incredible' on Sportscene.

What am I missing here? In what way is the 'infrastructure' so wonderful? A new main stand that has run millions of pounds over budget and still isn't finished despite the club having to had to rely on supporter donations, three other tinpot stands that needs a good overhaul, a child-sized pitch and a training facility they rent from (and share with) Heriot-Watt University.

In what way does this all set Hearts apart from other clubs when it comes to 'infrastructure'?
    They have a hospitality and corporate offering that significantly boosts their football budget compared to their city rivals (us).

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    They have a hospitality and corporate offering that significantly boosts their football budget compared to their city rivals (us).

Is a good "hospitality and corporate offering" a selling point for a new boss?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Is a good "hospitality and corporate offering" a selling point for a new boss?
    You’ve missed the football budget bit he spoke of, so if he’s right, then probably yes, it is.

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Like what...?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice-Terry View Post
    Like what...?
    There's the Castle View restaurant, as well as a state of the art escalator, as well as a glass curtain.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    There's the Castle View restaurant, as well as a state of the art escalator, as well as a glass curtain.
    Don't mention the rusting, slippery steel steps in the megastand.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Don't mention the rusting, slippery steel steps in the megastand.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    All big clubs are doing it.

Until recently their hospitality offering was truly shocking. One of the founding reasons for going two tier at ER was to offer hospitality and corporate offerings that kicked their butt. Similarly with the fit out. Chandelies etc. They’ve been rocking the mecanno/ transformers stand during the same period.

They’ve only just come to the party. And if anything, their hospitality offering is now merely on a par with us.

Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    Until recently their hospitality offering was truly shocking. One of the founding reasons for going two tier at ER was to offer hospitality and corporate offerings that kicked their butt. Similarly with the fit out. Chandelies etc. They’ve been rocking the mecanno/ transformers stand during the same period.

They’ve only just come to the party. And if anything, their hospitality offering is now merely on a par with us.
    I haven’t been for a while but I’ve heard from folk who have that our hospitality offering has regressed significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I haven’t been for a while but I’ve heard from folk who have that our hospitality offering has regressed significantly.
    Was in The Gallery 3 times last season, wasn’t too impressed and didn’t seem great value for what we paid.

You pay for a bar service til 6pm but they are very strict in stopping bar service about 5.40pm. I appreciate folk want to get home but your hassled out the door bang on 6pm. Last game of the season last year, our table had no drinks left at 5.50pm and they still hadn’t done the MOM presentation. That was done at 5.55pm, we had our coats on ready to go and no drinks left, not a great experience that we paid a premium for..

Dress code is massively varied and certainly more relaxed than what is stated. Some folk make the effort with suit or very smart but then 3 times we were there, folk had jeans, trainers, it was a minority but if they have standards they should be enforced.

Service is slow, trying to get a hold of someone to order drinks can be a challenge then you seem to wait for a while for drinks to arrive. We would normally leave a decent tip for waiting staff but last couple of times we haven’t as it’s been quite poor.
    Last edited by macca70; 10-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Was in The Gallery 3 times last season, wasn’t too impressed and didn’t seem great value for what we paid.

You pay for a bar service til 6pm but they are very strict in stopping bar service about 5.40pm. I appreciate folk want to get home but your hassled out the door bang on 6pm. Last game of the season last year, our table had no drinks left at 5.50pm and they still hadn’t done the MOM presentation. That was done at 5.55pm, we had our coats on ready to go and no drinks left, not a great experience that we paid a premium for..

Dress code is massively varied and certainly more relaxed than what is stated. Some folk make the effort with suit or very smart as they make an effort but then 3 times we were there, folk had jeans, trainers, it was a minority but if they have standards they should be enforced.

Service is slow, trying to get a hold of someone to order drinks can be a challenge then you seem to wait for a while for drinks to arrive. We would normally leave a decent tip for waiting staff but last couple of times we haven’t as it’s been quite poor.
    I was in the gallery for the 5-5 game with rangers and was really disappointed. Self service Mexican buffet was chilli con carne and rice. Nothing else. £100 odd for chilli and a match ticket was poor.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post

Dress code is massively varied and certainly more relaxed than what is stated. Some folk make the effort with suit or very smart as they make an effort but then 3 times we were there, folk had jeans, trainers, it was a minority but if they have standards they should be enforced.

I dont disagree with much of that, Gallery is rubbish for the money these days, they take us for granted. Its something (one of a long list, imo) that they need to improve pronto.

On the "slow service" bit though - we always tell the waiter / tress at the beginning that there will be a good tip for them if the drinks flow liberally and that usually does the trick !!

Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post

A guy I know who books both facilities for his company says that theirs is a lot better than ours these days. Not so much the facilities, just the overall service and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seems to be a growing Hibs.net myth.

Let’s see some evidence of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

The accounts of both clubs are available online.

For the year to end June 2018:

Hearts Turnover = £12.1m, £2.9m of which was commercial income.
    Hibs turnover = £9.6m, Hibs don’t specify exact figure for commercial income but if we assume gate receipts and prize money are roughly the same for both clubs then the shortfall will predominantly be from commercial activities.

Maybe you should advise LD and RG it is just a myth though considering they felt the need to visit Tynecastle recently to see what they could learn from Hearts hospitality offering.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Hibs turnover = £9.6m, Hibs don’t specify exact figure for commercial income but if we assume gate receipts and prize money are roughly the same for both clubs then the shortfall will predominantly be from commercial activities.

Maybe you should advise LD and RG it is just a myth though considering they felt the need to visit Tynecastle recently to see what they could learn from Hearts hospitality offering.
    How dyou ken that? If you were hearts would you not tell them to eff off?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Probably not as there will be things they want to learn from Hibs so it’s all about quid pro quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    AB said it recently at a supporters function.

They will have their DDs included in there.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I’m sure that turnover includes those significant £million + donations

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I’m sure that turnover includes those significant £million + donations
    The benefactor donation is listed separately in their accounts from their turnover.

This has been discussed in detail before. Hearts would include all revenue from the club shop and catering whilst Hibs operation is outsourced. Therefore Hearts costs would be higher than Hibs to reflect that difference.

Hearts could well earn more from their commercial and hospitality. I doubt however than it’s a huge material difference that is impacting the comparative football budget. That is the myth which is peddled on here without any real clarity.

As for this visit to Tynecastle, I saw Budges comments. I would hope this will be raised at the AGM as I would expect Dempster and Ron Gordon would take issue with Budge’s comment that “we had them here to show them how things are done...”.

This has been discussed in detail before. Hearts would include all revenue from the club shop and catering whilst Hibs operation is outsourced. Therefore Hearts costs would be higher than Hibs to reflect that difference.

Hearts could well earn more from their commercial and hospitality. I doubt however than it’s a huge material difference that is impacting the comparative football budget. That is the myth which is peddled on here without any real clarity.

As for this visit to Tynecastle, I saw Budges comments. I would hope this will be raised at the AGM as I would expect Dempster and Ron Gordon would take issue with Budge’s comment that “we had them here to show them how things are done...”.
    If anything, I think there must be a lot Dempster and Gordon can learn from the various screw ups at Hearts and the terrible failures in project management.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;5987384]This has been discussed in detail before. Hearts would include all revenue from the club shop and catering whilst Hibs operation is outsourced. Therefore Hearts costs would be higher than Hibs to reflect that difference.

As for this visit to Tynecastle, I saw Budges comments. I would hope this will be raised at the AGM as I would expect Dempster and Ron Gordon would take issue with Budge’s comment that “we had them here to show them how things are done...”.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe they went within 100 miles of that dump. So they make a few quid.........how about Hibs looking at how other / bigger outfits maximise profit ?.....surely to goodness they could have expanded their search to top English teams or European teams to get something "different" than that mob 5 minutes away.
    As for the comment from Budge.....classless bint must think she's running Real Madrid
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Wasn't that the day before LeVain was relieved of his duties? Maybe Queen Anne was telling them that 2 years of poor results was too much time and advising on how you fire a rotten manager.

On the other hand, Hearts' other operating costs were £3.2m more than Hibs - that would suggest you're comparing apples with oranges.

Hearts wages were boosted by a donation of £1m (I believe to cover Naismith's wages), net of which their wages cost was £700k more than Hibs, but they had 116 football staff compared with Hibs 65. They also had 109 part-time hospitality staff and 50 admin and commercial staff compared with Hibs 35 commercial and admin and no hospitality staff. All that suggests that the two operations are different enough to make comparison difficult and maybe a bit dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    On the other hand, Hearts' other operating costs were £3.2m more than Hibs - that would suggest you're comparing apples with oranges.

Hearts wages were boosted by a donation of £1m (I believe to cover Naismith's wages), net of which their wages cost was £700k more than Hibs, but they had 116 football staff compared with Hibs 65. They also had 109 part-time hospitality staff and 50 admin and commercial staff compared with Hibs 35 commercial and admin and no hospitality staff. All that suggests that the two operations are different enough to make comparison difficult and maybe a bit dangerous.

It is said that their hospitality income is £5m, one hell of a percentage of their business turnover, and higher than Sevco(!?). A bold statement.

Lets say over 18 home games there are 500 punters paying £150. That gives an income of £1.3m. Bear in mind the majority of fans are season ticket holders it is difficult to see many of them forking out for hospitality, even on special occasions that's personal to them. Getting to £5m seems a bit of a leap into fantasy.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Anecdotally, I go to a referees quiz every year. It’s been at various venues but, unfortunately, at Tynecastle the last few years. I asked the guy who organises it why Tynecastle and not Easter Road. He said Hibs were considerably more expensive and the Hearts package was a better offer.

Their accounts show significantly higher corporate income over ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk