hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar

This is what we're capable of

We'd have lost today under Hecky, for that i'm certain. It's amazing what level of difference some competent tactics can make. The players actually looked like they knew what their individual roles were and the shape of the team formation allowed them to go about those roles in a way that clicked together as a unit.

Can we just no bother with a manager for the rest of the season?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Brilliant performance

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We'd have lost today under Hecky, for that i'm certain. It's amazing what level of difference some competent tactics can make. The players actually looked like they knew what their individual roles were and the shape of the team formation allowed them to go about those roles in a way that clicked together as a unit.

Can we just no bother with a manager for the rest of the season?
    Might be worth a shot on today's evidence!

I'm pretty sure the role of Scotland manager didn't actually exist until around the 1950s or 60s and the team was picked by a committee. I'm guessing there was some coaching presence, but by and large the players were just sent out to do their jobs.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    I get the impression that Heckingbottom gave the players too many tactical instructions and over-complicated what is, in essence, a simple game.

It seems today they players were just told to ‘go out and play’ with relatively simple instructions which gave them a lot more freedom to play.

Also, it does help when we play a formation that suits the players we have.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

I never thought we had a bad squad and never thought we'd do down. Despite blowing many leads you obviously have to have some quality to go ahead so often. Today showed what we are truly capable of.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    I get the impression that Heckingbottom gave the players too many tactical instructions and over-complicated what is, in essence, a simple game.

It seems today they players were just told to ‘go out and play’ with relatively simple instructions which gave them a lot more freedom to play.

Hopefully some daring reporter tracks Hecky down to ask him for his views on today's result and why Hibs played better ??

Very good performance today, it's a shame we didn't manage a clean sheet but we should have scored about 7 or 8.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Hopefully some daring reporter tracks Hecky down to ask him for his views on today's result and why Hibs played better ??

"My knowledge of English League 1 football was too complex for the simple game up there."

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    We probably would have lost that match under Hecky. It's amazing how often teams win after sacking a manager.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Sometimes when you're close to a situation you become blind to what needs to be done.

It looks to me like simple, basic changes were made and we looked all the better for it.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Not enjoyed a performance from Hibs like that for a very long time. Fantastic from all players, coaching staff and fans through in Perth today. The players looked as if they were enjoying themselves out there with no pressure at all on their shoulders. Great to see a smile on so many faces today 😊

@hibs.net private member
    I always got the impression that hecky based his game plan on statistics and numbers, and that the players became like robots, not wanting to make a mistake or concentrating more on achieving good stats.

Thank goodness he’s gone!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Ee bye gum they wir good wernt they?

@hibs.net private member
    Excellent result which I think exceeded everyone's expectations and gives some cause for optimism re Heck's legacy. The most notable thing about the starting line up is it included two things most fans have been shouting for for months but which PH seemed blind to:
    1) avoid starting Allan and Mallan together - two great players but leave us defensively weak
    2) Play Doidge and Kamberi together up top and see what happens.

Aye but those who dismissed posters including myself for saying we arnt a million miles away from having the players who can be a decent side, one result granted but some folk had us absolute cannon fodder which was never the case imo.

Change in set up and approach and players reacted, well done them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Excellent result which I think exceeded everyone's expectations and gives some cause for optimism re Heck's legacy. The most notable thing about the starting line up is it included two things most fans have been shouting for for months but which PH seemed blind to:
    1) avoid starting Allan and Mallan together - two great players but leave us defensively weak
    This 👆100%.👏

First Team Breakthrough esjorto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    I always got the impression that hecky based his game plan on statistics and numbers, and that the players became like robots, not wanting to make a mistake or concentrating more on achieving good stats.

Couldn't agree more!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post

Think that’s about right. He always seemed to discuss margins either way. We don’t really want margins we want to be trying to keep on attacking and scoring as many goals as we can.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I’ve got a friend who’s a Rotherham fan who insists that there’s a fantastic player in Joe Newell. Hopefully a new manager can prove him right.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

We were fantastic today, especially Kamberi, Naismith (been a while since I saw one of our defenders so switched on, decisive and bullying so many attackers trying to take him on) Allan, Mallberg and of course Doidge.

Everyone else played well.

But, their macaroni pies are vastly superior to ours. Not good enough.!

I thought that Eddie May's comment that the team played with freedom and style explains a lot of what was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermac View Post
    I thought that Eddie May's comment that the team played with freedom and style explains a lot of what was wrong.
    Seen this comment few times tonight and I tend to agree. Not saying PH methods weren’t correct I just don’t think they work in Scottish football, a league where the games are slower and more technical maybe but he got it badly wrong up here and his reluctance to change formations ultimately was his downfall.

Definition of insanity, keep doing the same things and expect different results feels quite apt with Hecky in his time here.

It was a great all round team performance. Brilliant
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Seen this comment few times tonight and I tend to agree. Not saying PH methods weren’t correct I just don’t think they work in Scottish football, a league where the games are slower and more technical maybe but he got it badly wrong up here and his reluctance to change formations ultimately was his downfall.

Definition of insanity, keep doing the same things and expect different results feels quite apt with Hecky in his time here.
    Hecky's problem was that he was stuck in his ways. He was so sure that his own tactics would work and wouldn't admit it to himself when they didn't. A good manager will listen to their players and the way they like to play and will form their tactics around that. Hecky had too much of an ego imo.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Everybody did their bit today..was a great all round performance.

We went from being passive to being on the front foot all over the park. When we did win it back we used it quickly and intelligently. Kamberi was excellent in his decision making/use of the ball and unselfish running.

So glad Doidge got the rebound after his first chance was saved..you could literally see a weight lift off him and the relief on his face.

Nice to spend a Saturday night basking in the glow of a good win rather than going over the same old ground.

Hopefully the confidence gained from todays win will turn round our season.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain.... View Post
    Everybody did their bit today..was a great all round performance.

We went from being passive to being on the front foot all over the park. When we did win it back we used it quickly and intelligently. Kamberi was excellent in his decision making/use of the ball and unselfish running.

So glad Doidge got the rebound after his first chance was saved..you could literally see a weight lift off him and the relief on his face.

Nice to spend a Saturday night basking in the glow of a good win rather than going over the same old ground.

Hopefully the confidence gained from todays win will turn round our season.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Left by mutual consent!
    It’s the best we’ve played for well more than a year. Fantastic performance full of confidence. Kamberi was unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post

That's pretty much how I saw it as well.

The players seemed less restricted and showed some creativity.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post

I genuinely believe that Hecky will be sick that, what the fans wanted and got, was the reason for such a resounding victory and performance !