hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Picture of League Championship Flag being unfurled at Easter Road early 50's

I just wanted to share this picture of Hibs League Championship flag being unfurled at Easter Road in the early 1950's.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Have never seen that picture before - thanks for sharing

@hibs.net private member
    Great share. Never seen that either

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Great picture, never seen it before so thanks for sharing

Looks like we might have had a seagull problem way back then too but at least we called the cops in to look into it.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Will we ever see the like again?

Looked like a big crowd there as well, great stuff but now so long ago.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looked like a big crowd there as well, great stuff but now so long ago.
    Sure my father in law said that 60000 crowds in those days, not sure if that's true.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Sure my father in law said that 60000 crowds in those days, not sure if that's true.
    It's absolutely true. The terraces were jam packed in those days.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    It's absolutely true. The terraces were jam packed in those days.
    He was a Gordie who married a Scottish girl, my mother in law, during the war & ended up working in the Lady Victoria pit. When I asked him why he ended up supporting Hibs rather than Hearts he told me it was because of 2 things,
    1) it was easier to get to Easter Rd rather than Tyne castle from Dalkeith in those days.
    2) Gordon Smith, who he said was the most wonderful footballer he ever watched. He was fortunate to see Hibs win 3 league titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Record Edinburgh attendance 65,860 - Easter Road v. Hearts, 2nd January, 1950.

Great stuff and one for the young 'uns to savour as well as us. Also, no cops under 6' in those days either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep_Nae_Mair View Post
    Here's a picture of the very same crowd. Gordon Smith scoring.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by LoaningCrHibbie View Post
    I just wanted to share this picture of Hibs League Championship flag being unfurled at Easter Road in the early 1950's.

Looks more like spot the ball at Tynecastle.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Sir Matt Busby

Great picture. Unthinkable today that there were plans to increase the capacity at Easter Road to 80,000. Back in the day when it was a level playing field and unlike today when money rules. Not much loyalty left in the game. Sorry I'm getting off the subject. Will the flag ever return to Easter Road. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant

Thanks for posting

At least I have now seen it

Wee Ron over to you

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep_Nae_Mair View Post
    My Dad, who is now 90, was at the game with his brother in law (who wasn’t really a fan and never attended another game apparently).

He said he joined the queue to get in on London Road, I think somewhere around where the Artisan is, so it snaked from the stadium along either/both of Bothwell Street/Albion Road, up Easter Road and round the corner. Strangely he said it moved steadily and didn’t seem to take that long to get to the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    My Dad, who is now 90, was at the game with his brother in law (who wasn’t really a fan and never attended another game apparently).

He said he joined the queue to get in on London Road, I think somewhere around where the Artisan is, so it snaked from the stadium along either/both of Bothwell Street/Albion Road, up Easter Road and round the corner. Strangely he said it moved steadily and didn’t seem to take that long to get to the stadium.
    Wow , amazing.
    That's some queue!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Great picture. Unthinkable today that there were plans to increase the capacity at Easter Road to 80,000. Back in the day when it was a level playing field and unlike today when money rules. Not much loyalty left in the game. Sorry I'm getting off the subject. Will the flag ever return to Easter Road. You never know.
    Hibs were making a lot of money and paying players very well in the period. I think money has ruled in football since the very early 20th Century. It worked very well for us post war though. Unthinkable how powerful we were and how quickly it changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Hibs were making a lot of money and paying players very well in the period. I think money has ruled in football since the very early 20th Century. It worked very well for us post war though. Unthinkable how powerful we were and how quickly it changed.
    I had the feeling as a kid going to watch Hibs was right up there with the English clubs and the so cled continentals.

I had the feeling as a kid going to watch Hibs was right up there with the English clubs and the so called continentals.

Absolutely amazing. Couldn't imagine having to join a queue that long. A queue fifty yards long nowadays seems to be the norm.

No problems with scanning bar codes in those days!

I often wonder what might have been if we'd delayed our successful spell by 10 years. Man U got so big because their European success coincided with the dawn of televised football. If we'd caught that wave, instead of being 10 years too early, who knows...

Back then you used to get in with a jam jar

Now I am almost 1k for two STs

Considering renewing now Hecky gone 😂

Do any of our league flags exist today?

A football match was a real event in those days, not just a leisure option. There wasn't much else to do.

Even in 1963 when I started supporting you saw great players every week for comparatively little cost at the turnstile. I used to really look forward to going.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Here's a picture of the very same crowd. Gordon Smith scoring.

I know the picture has a legend saying that, but I thought the high terrace hadn't been built when that game was played? The picture appears to show the main terrace with the second level. Having said that I always thought it inconceivable squeezing 65k into the gorund without the high terrace. Can any of the historians help?

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    I know the picture has a legend saying that, but I thought the high terrace hadn't been built when that game was played? The picture appears to show the main terrace with the second level. Having said that I always thought it inconceivable squeezing 65k into the gorund without the high terrace. Can any of the historians help?
    It's the game the poster quoted and the pictures a press original from the day in question.

No idea about the terrace at that time though.

Sir Matt Busby

“Throughout the summer of 1939 HIBS carried out more ground improvements including making part of the south-east terracing already known as the Alps bigger and with more crush barriers”
    The Making of Hibernian The Romantic Years Vol 3

“Easter Road had been spruced up to hold 60000 spectators by the middle of 1939”
    100 Years of HIBS