hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think there is a good manager in there and by all means well-respected by the players.

His downfall at Hibs was underestimating the standard of the Scottish Premiership by believing that decent League 2/League 1 players were more than good enough to get us to challenge for Europe.

Wouldn't surprise me if he dusted himself down and was doing well for himself in the Championship/League 1 again in a few years. That is his market and he doesn't go with any ill wishes from me. He was not the right fit for us, had lost the fans months ago, therefore best for all parties he is now gone. Onwards and upwards.
    Was he respected by the players? I'm sure he must have told them more than once not to drop back when they were in front, but they did that repeatedly .

Likewise what respect did Stevie Mallan show anybody every time he pretended to tackle, or ran away.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Im comfortable with the boards decision. In fact i commend them them on how they handled it. They gave him enough time to turn it around. Although we weren't losing games we didn't look like winning them. Change had to happen and it's good timing with January window not far away.

In years gone by would a manager have been sacked with his record? Probably not. Pleased the board don't see plodding along as acceptable these days.
    I totally agree with this.

It's easy to say he should have gone sooner with hindsight but to sack him after Ibrox would have been ridiculously harsh.

They gave him every chance to show he had what it took to turn it around, he didn't show enough and was dealt with at the most appropriate time.

I don't want Hibs to be a club who sack their manager at the first sign of trouble as that rarely ends well, but it is correct to be decisive when all the signs suggested he wasn't going to turn it around.

Yes, but the mistake was in the timing of it rather than the sacking.

League Cup semi or not, he should have gone after the Aberdeen game. That was long enough to judge him fairly on performances and signings this season, but also early enough to get a new manager in during the previous international break and take advantage of the three league fixtures against Hamilton, Ross County and Livingston.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Just asking and curious.

Would / could he have turned it around?

Could we do a lot worse out there, now that we are back in the market?

Was it really fan pressure that pushed the board (rather than the footballing reasons Leanne gave in her conference)?
    See under the new Hibs.net guidelines, I wonder if this should be reported for trolling?

(only a joke )

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    No a Motherwell player had to stop himself from saying we are crap or words to that effect after a 0-3 loss
    Lenny who does not have a plan B said the way he (PH) set us up made us easy to beat last Saturday in a national cup semifinal
    He seriously underestimated our league the standard of player and the expectations of our fans and signed a load of dross that look as though they are on a jolly
    Well rid!

I don't think it was a mistake, thankfully the board finally sacked him.
    I'm sure the next manager will get more out of his summer signings.

Left by mutual consent!
    No chance. We kept him in a job too long.

Should have went after Ibrox.
    Then Motherwell.
    Then the derby.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Absolutely not. It was obvious he wasn't right a long way back and all that kept him there was the triumph of hope over reality for a lot longer than was sensible.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I’m looking forward to the game today, first time I’ve been able to say that in a long time.

So glad the board finally acted and dealt with him.

I think he will prove in time to be a good manager. Think he is already a good coach, too many people in the game hold him in high regard for that not to be the case.

You need more to be succesful, predominantly you need to be a good coach working with able good players.

He came in last year to good able players and got a tune out them. He was then tasked with changing the team and bringing in good players - this is where he failed. He then compounded things by not finding a shape or game plan to fit what he had - what he had given himself.

Nice guy, probably a good coach but he failed for a number of reasons. He had to go

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Im comfortable with the boards decision. In fact i commend them them on how they handled it. They gave him enough time to turn it around. Although we weren't losing games we didn't look like winning them. Change had to happen and it's good timing with January window not far away.

In years gone by would a manager have been sacked with his record? Probably not. Pleased the board don't see plodding along as acceptable these days.
    In years gone by, I think a manager who’d won 1 in 16 in the league would have been sacked, yes.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 09-11-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Just asking and curious.

Was it really fan pressure that pushed the board (rather than the footballing reasons Leanne gave in her conference)?
    1 Unlikely, but we simply could not afford to take what was an ever increasing risk, and no way would we have trusted any of his January signings if he did stay.

2 Of course we could.

3 NO, the board gave him as long as they could, but we still haven't won a league game since St Mirren, and going to Glasgow and losing 6 goals to one of the ugly sisters and 5 to the other doesn't sit well on anyone's list of achievements.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibees62
    No his time was up and his signings were very poor

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Can I just confirm "Judas" that you are suggesting we should have shown a little bit more loyalty to our leader?

😂😂

Testimonial Due
    Troll OP.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He did well at Barnsley for a while when a caretaker, but as soon as he recruited his own players, his team dropped down the league like a stone.

The same scenario applied at Hibs, as soon as he was able to purchase players off his own back, we eneded up With James, Vela, Newell, Jackson, Naismith and Doidge who it appears are on decent money by our terms.

None of in my opinion are any better and some much worse than we had, and we have an ageing back 4 who have all seen better days, bar Porto.

When we are bringing players in, we really need to be bringing in better quality than we have currently have, and he in my opinion cant spot a player.
    nail on the head post

I would think the board would rightly take into account his overall record at the club more than an average fan might and they wouldn't be looking on getting past Morton and Killie in the cup as not counting as wins because they weren't in 90 minutes. Nor would they completely dismiss what he did when he came in as it "was Lennon's team not his".

I think the board were right to give him a good amount of time to turn it around. There is a risk of clubs becoming known as a basket case if they repeatedly sack managers at the first sign of adversity. This can become a vicious circle because once you've got that reputation then decent managers will steer clear. There is a balance to be struck and IMO they got it about right.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    In years gone by, I think a manager who’d won 1 in 16 in the league would have been sacked, yes.
    Lennon wasn't and he had a similar record. Or maybe he was. We still don't know lol

@hibs.net private member
    Only mistake about Heckingbottom was giving him the job in the first place. Any guy who reckons the Scottish premiership is of the standard of the lower leagues in England should never have been near our club.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    No, I can't believe it was a mistake, unless we manage to appoint someone even worse! He had to go; if anything it should have been sooner.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    No, I can't believe it was a mistake, unless we manage to appoint someone even worse! He had to go; if anything it should have been sooner.
    Even if we appoint someone who's worse I still don't think it can be described as a mistake to get rid of him.

The only way it could have been a mistake is if you think Heckingbottom would have come good. It was clear with every passing week that wasn't likely to be the case.

Just his dross signings to go. Said on this many a time he’ll be gone by November warning signs were there first live tv cup game in betfred this season. Should never have got the job to start with

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Just asking and curious.

Dearly me, have you not been reading the forum for the past few weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Even if we appoint someone who's worse I still don't think it can be described as a mistake to get rid of him.

The only way it could have been a mistake is if you think Heckingbottom would have come good. It was clear with every passing week that wasn't likely to be the case.
    Very much this.

I think in years to come we will realise that Doidge up front on his own was revolutionary thinking that we and the rest of our League 1 standard league were just not ready for.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Just his dross signings to go. Said on this many a time he’ll be gone by November warning signs were there first live tv cup game in betfred this season. Should never have got the job to start with
    Maybe we should now give the players a clean slate and give them a chance under the new guy before writing them off completely. Support the team instead of getting on their backs before they've even kicked a ball since PH left.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Not a chance it was a mistake

No.

Everything Hibs did under him was at odds with his stated intentions for the team when he came in. From the word go he shat it against Celtic in the cup and there was never any sign of the high energy high pressing game he had promised. He compounded that with the signing of his own players none of whom seemed capable of playing the type of football he said he wanted to play.

He didnt fail because he couldnt deliver what we wanted, he failed because he couldnt deliver what he wantet and on top of that I think he seriously underestimated the job at hand and the league he was in ... both fatal errors. He can have no complaints.

Lets hope we get lucky with the next guy, because no matter how much due diligence the board apply there's always an element of luck in any managerial appointment.

Just asking and curious.

What do you think?