hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Does Anyone Sense That Hecks Sacking Was A Mistake?

Just asking and curious.

Would / could he have turned it around?

Could we do a lot worse out there, now that we are back in the market?

Was it really fan pressure that pushed the board (rather than the footballing reasons Leanne gave in her conference)?
    Last edited by judas; 09-11-2019 at 09:14 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just asking and curious.

Could we do a lot worse out there now we are back in the market?

Was I really fan pressure that pushed the board (rather than the footballing reasons Leanne gave in her conference)?
    No , not in the slightest.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    No

Yes but we won’t

No

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Poor summer signings, no wins in the league since the opening day of the season, poor tactics when ahead in games. He’d completely lost the fans - there’s no turning that around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    It's a "no" from me. The man wasn't prepared to face his mistakes and learn lessons.

Nope, and even if we don't get our next appointment right, it's still the correct decision.

1 win all season is an absolute tragedy from the football perspective, no doubt in my mind he was pushed for the right reasons.

Also I think fan pressure and football results go hand in hand.

Promising Youngster Steve Austin's Avatar
    Unfortunately it wasn't a mistake he had run his race?.Results we couldn't buy a win and the disconnect with support meant the board had to act sooner rather than later.

No they should have done it weeks ago , letting him continue for so long when it clearly wasnt working was a mistake

@hibs.net private member
    By the sounds of it , LD and others are happy they made the right decision

NO!

Left by mutual consent!
    Was the right decision to let him go. Although I do think Hecky will go on to be successful in his next role.

Left by mutual consent!
    Poor signings, poor tactics. Best he's gone

I do find it all rather odd that he was given the cup semi final. Little chance of winning that so why not go week before but it's done now and move on.
    Cougars!!!

Robbie step away from the keyboard...

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    He had a chance to turn it around, only so much time he could be given considering where we were sitting in the league

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    No. And now that he has gone we can't change what has happened. So let's learn, but move on.

Nope,came down to results and we drew to many games, some might say we were unlucky in a couple of games but his management in other games when he reverted to a defensive set up to see games out, ultimately did it for him.

No right decision made by the club. Unfortunately he had to go.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    We waited too long to do it so in that sense the timing was a mistake.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Should have gone after we'd been pumped at Ibrox, he hung about slavering week after week about how we could have done this or should have done that.

And each week he stayed he drove a wedge further and further between the fans and the club.

So to answer the question, no, no mistake just a huge relief he's gone and hopefully we get someone in who actually knows how to manage a football club of the stature of Hibs in Scotland.

Even if we get pumped 5-0 today it wasn't a mistake to "relieve him of his duties".

He was the wrong fit for our club, brought in some really sub-standard players and has set us back about 5 years. We'll never know now but I firmly believe we would have been, at the very least, involved in a relegation play off this season if he had stayed in charge.

We're not out of the woods yet but even if we still end up in the bottom two, I still don't think it was a mistake getting rid of him - if anything it came about 6-8 weeks later than it should have done.

No. Ibrox should have seen him go. Then the derby. The fact he lasted as long as he did is the mistake.

I had his card marked after he completed bottled Celtic in the cup last season. An absolutely cowardly performance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Just asking and curious.

Was it really fan pressure that pushed the board (rather than the footballing reasons Leanne gave in her conference)?
    Watching Hecky's team every week reminded me of the saying about doing the same thing every week but expecting different results. We were going nowhere fast. I feel that change was necessary and the point the board acted at was when they themselves stopped waiting for signs of a turnaround.

Replacing Heck isn't the solution to all our problems by itself. Failure to win today or the new manager taking time to find his feet wouldn't mean we were wrong to act.

We weren't getting where this club needs to be so we now have the opportunity to kick start things. We've all wanted as much for a good number of weeks.
    Last edited by Wilson; 09-11-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Obviously a no and we obviously made a mistake hiring him!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Obviously a no and we obviously made a mistake hiring him!

Couldn’t see any reasons for keeping him or expecting things to change.

So much was off: recruitment, coaching, selection, tactics, his relationship with fans and media.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Think there is a good manager in there and by all means well-respected by the players.

His downfall at Hibs was underestimating the standard of the Scottish Premiership by believing that decent League 2/League 1 players were more than good enough to get us to challenge for Europe.

Wouldn't surprise me if he dusted himself down and was doing well for himself in the Championship/League 1 again in a few years. That is his market and he doesn't go with any ill wishes from me. He was not the right fit for us, had lost the fans months ago, therefore best for all parties he is now gone. Onwards and upwards.
    Last edited by The Spaceman; 09-11-2019 at 09:44 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    No way of knowing yet. If his successor comes in and gets us into Europe then I would concede it was probably the correct decision. If we finish 5-8 then it is debatable as that is where I would have seen us finish this season without Heck being sacked and a total waste of valuable funds. If we are lower than that then it has been incorrect decision imo. It is irrelevant now as the decision was taken and once fans turn against the manager, as they did very early with Heck, then there is very seldomly a route back. Pardue and Ferguson being a rare breed that have won disgruntled fans around but Heck never got the time to do that.

The next appointment needs to be successful as we can create a negative cycle that is hard to get out of as we are paying huge amounts in compensation. Let's hope LD gets it right as she is also, unbelievably, having questions asked about her ability and the fans may turn against her too. She clearly thinks our signings aren't as bad as made out so that suggests the next manager will have the opportunity for a few critical additions but mostly work with what we have. Maybe a few additions would have been all Heck needed. It was last season with McNulty and Omeonga

Just asking and curious.

Can I just confirm "Judas" that you are suggesting we should have shown a little bit more loyalty to our leader?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    No way of knowing yet. If his successor comes in and gets us into Europe then I would concede it was probably the correct decision. If we finish 5-8 then it is debatable as that is where I would have seen us finish this season without Heck being sacked and a total waste of valuable funds. If we are lower than that then it has been incorrect decision imo. It is irrelevant now as the decision was taken and once fans turn against the manager, as they did very early with Heck, then there is very seldomly a route back. Pardue and Ferguson being a rare breed that have won disgruntled fans around but Heck never got the time to do that.

The next appointment needs to be successful as we can create a negative cycle that is hard to get out of as we are paying huge amounts in compensation. Let's hope LD gets it right as she is also, unbelievably, having questions asked about her ability and the fans may turn against her too. She clearly thinks our signings aren't as bad as made out so that suggests the next manager will have the opportunity for a few critical additions but mostly work with what we have. Maybe a few additions would have been all Heck needed. It was last season with McNulty and Omeonga
    He did well at Barnsley for a while when a caretaker, but as soon as he recruited his own players, his team dropped down the league like a stone.

The same scenario applied at Hibs, as soon as he was able to purchase players off his own back, we eneded up With James, Vela, Newell, Jackson, Naismith and Doidge who it appears are on decent money by our terms.

None of in my opinion are any better and some much worse than we had, and we have an ageing back 4 who have all seen better days, bar Porto.

When we are bringing players in, we really need to be bringing in better quality than we have currently have, and he in my opinion cant spot a player.

Im comfortable with the boards decision. In fact i commend them them on how they handled it. They gave him enough time to turn it around. Although we weren't losing games we didn't look like winning them. Change had to happen and it's good timing with January window not far away.

In years gone by would a manager have been sacked with his record? Probably not. Pleased the board don't see plodding along as acceptable these days.
    Last edited by Since452; 09-11-2019 at 09:55 AM.