hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 136
  1. #91
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    53
    Posts
    21,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just think it was OTT to ban it to be honest, it's not a massive issue but when the central point of the original post was that abuse won't be tolerated but banter and debate is encouraged, to then follow on and ban something that's clearly not abusive or trolling is a strange signal to send.
    It’s that old that many of the folk on here have no idea about the original context including me and I have been on here for many years. Let’s face it coming on to a site and reading about a group of people being referred to as “Pricks” is a tad bemusing and not really what most folk want to read. As has already been said it’s had its day and has no real relevance so best it ceases to be used.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    Good to see the rules being reminded to posters,I've had many a debate on here with people and only once has it got personal, was offered to go meet a poster after a game!! Once in all the time ive been on here is not to bad but you do see posts that are very close to if not already unacceptable, I've felt a few times I've been in the wrong and have apologised to posters for being a twat!!
    Last edited by Lovethehibs; 09-11-2019 at 08:48 AM.

  4. #93
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,460
    So I take it all the admins are not pricks anymore, good because that always ground my gears 😁

    I'll reiterate again that this a good call due to recent events, may I add that any snidey remarks are also seen as personal abuse, sometimes these get overlooked.

  5. #94
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just think it was OTT to ban it to be honest, it's not a massive issue but when the central point of the original post was that abuse won't be tolerated but banter and debate is encouraged, to then follow on and ban something that's clearly not abusive or trolling is a strange signal to send.
    I think people who use it do so as it shows they are in a little clique or lets them feel like they are part of one.

  6. #95
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    29,873
    Will there be a clamp down on posters who seem to revel in every single one of there posts being a negative dig at everything related to Hibs?

    This has clearly been missing the last few days, maybe certain people have been temporarily banned, but it really does bring the mood of the site down.

  7. #96
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what I've read .net is already the tamest of supporter forums across the biggest clubs in Scotland IMO. It's terrible that Tracey had to resign but I don't think any of that had anything to do with abuse on here?

    I'm surprised the admin xxxxx* joke was picked up on so forcefully on this thread when it's clearly meant as light hearted banter and do worry that if that sort of thing is now banned what sort of road the site is going down.

    * I've purposely starred out the word so I don't receive a banning for posting it.
    At no point did I say id ban anybody for.it. .I said its an old joke past its best and asked for it to stop. Would you say it to my face? Probably not. Its sad that that one thing is being picked up on from the whole thread when all we are asking is that people follow the rules already set out .
    Last edited by J.S; 09-11-2019 at 09:13 AM.

  8. #97
    Testimonial Due One Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    here and there
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by derekduval View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think people who use it do so as it shows they are in a little clique or lets them feel like they are part of one.
    And there is certainly a clique or two in here.

  9. #98
    Coaching Staff Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At no point did I say id ban anybody for.it. .I said its an old joke past its best and asked for it to stop. Would you say it to my face? Probably not. Its sad that that one thing is being picked up on from the whole thread when all we are asking is that people follow the rules already set out .
    Ouch.

    Ok firstly I never claimed anybody would be banned for it , I simply said the use of it had been banned. Secondly you never asked for it to stop you said "first thing to be clamped down on is this very very old joke". To me that's saying it won't be tolerated rather than asking it for it to stop.

    I'm not sure why you're coming out with "would you say it to my face" chat? It's clearly meant in a non offensive way , atleast that's how I took it when the poster said it and has been used over the years and obviously how atleast 1 other admin sees it.

  10. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ouch.

    Ok firstly I never claimed anybody would be banned for it , I simply said the use of it had been banned. Secondly you never asked for it to stop you said "first thing to be clamped down on is this very very old joke". To me that's saying it won't be tolerated rather than asking it for it to stop.

    I'm not sure why you're coming out with "would you say it to my face" chat? It's clearly meant in a non offensive way , atleast that's how I took it when the poster said it and has been used over the years and obviously how atleast 1 other admin sees it.
    Swearing is banned anyway.

  11. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ouch.

    Ok firstly I never claimed anybody would be banned for it , I simply said the use of it had been banned. Secondly you never asked for it to stop you said "first thing to be clamped down on is this very very old joke". To me that's saying it won't be tolerated rather than asking it for it to stop.

    I'm not sure why you're coming out with "would you say it to my face" chat? It's clearly meant in a non offensive way , atleast that's how I took it when the poster said it and has been used over the years and obviously how atleast 1 other admin sees it.
    I once referred to myself as "3/4 jock". Having an ex highland soldiers in the family who proudly referred to himself as a jock, I see no problem with it. Someone else did. On that basis, and as someone who wondered what the in joke was about the admins, best it's stopped.

    The admins have a hard enough job without us arguing over words.

  12. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will there be a clamp down on posters who seem to revel in every single one of there posts being a negative dig at everything related to Hibs? If there’s a crackdown on too much, we might as well pack up.

    This has clearly been missing the last few days, maybe certain people have been temporarily banned, but it really does bring the mood of the site down.
    Why would someone having a different opinion to you be cracked down on? Some folk are negative/pessimistic - that’s life.

    On topic, if the word ‘prick’ is banned in general, it might be an idea to add it to the filter. Always seemed a bit of an anomaly that ‘prick’ was allowed but stuff like ‘****’ isn’t.
    Last edited by Beefster; 09-11-2019 at 09:58 AM.

  13. #102
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve only read the opening post, so dunno if it’s been spoken about already, but I disagree a lot.

    I don’t think there is a lot of abuse, I’d say there’s very little. For me, people in general are far too quick to take offence to any old **** recently.
    Disagree away, but this is overdue.
    The venom on here toward PH and his signings has at times been well out of order. Personal, unwarranted and unpleasant.
    Most folk are great, balanced posts and a bit of fun, but def a core who go too far.

  14. #103
    Testimonial Due pacoluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    2,709
    Let's hope the same rule applies to all.

  15. #104
    Testimonial Due Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would someone having a different opinion to you be cracked down on? Some folk are negative/pessimistic - that’s life.

    On topic, if the word ‘prick’ is banned in general, it might be an idea to add it to the filter. Always seemed a bit of an anomaly that ‘prick’ was allowed but stuff like ‘****’ isn’t.

    You're obviously not big into sewing or picking roses
    Last edited by Wilson; 09-11-2019 at 10:31 AM.

  16. #105
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    49
    Posts
    18,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're obviously not big into picking Rose's
    I like the hazelnut swirls.

  17. #106
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the hazelnut swirls.
    Toffee Penny for me. Takes ages.

  18. #107
    Testimonial Due Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the hazelnut swirls.
    I wondered how I made such a mess of spelling 'roses' until the auto correct also corrected my edit!

  19. #108
    Administrator BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Erm...........................
    Age
    53
    Posts
    12,108
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ouch.

    Ok firstly I never claimed anybody would be banned for it , I simply said the use of it had been banned. Secondly you never asked for it to stop you said "first thing to be clamped down on is this very very old joke". To me that's saying it won't be tolerated rather than asking it for it to stop.

    I'm not sure why you're coming out with "would you say it to my face" chat? It's clearly meant in a non offensive way , atleast that's how I took it when the poster said it and has been used over the years and obviously how atleast 1 other admin sees it.
    Think you've made you're feelings clear. Perhaps it's time to drop the subject? We've made our position clear.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

  20. #109
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    29,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would someone having a different opinion to you be cracked down on? Some folk are negative/pessimistic - that’s life.

    ...

    I'm not talking about different opinions, I'm talking about every single post being negative digs at the club.

    Tickets On Sale for next match: "Nobody will turn up"
    Matchday Info; "Don't bother, cause we're *****"
    Predictions for Saturday: "We'll lose 7-0, cause we're *****"
    Predictions for league placings: "We'll get relegated cause...."

    I'm sure you get the idea



    ----------------------------------------------

    Anyway, that's my last post of the subject, as I don't want to sound too negative.

    Last edited by Keith_M; 09-11-2019 at 10:47 AM.

  21. #110
    Coaching Staff Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think you've made you're feelings clear. Perhaps it's time to drop the subject? We've made our position clear.
    Really? I've responded to my quoted post , I think in a fairly fair non abusive manner and now I've been told to drop it.

    No problem, I won't post on the thread again. The admins have indeed made their position clear. Crystal.

  22. #111
    @hibs.net private member hhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Falkirk/Fuerteventura
    Posts
    1,359
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im serious its not funny ten years after the event most people dont even know what the joke was . Its time to put it to bed .
    Spill !

  23. #112
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would someone having a different opinion to you be cracked down on? Some folk are negative/pessimistic - that’s life.

    On topic, if the word ‘prick’ is banned in general, it might be an idea to add it to the filter. Always seemed a bit of an anomaly that ‘prick’ was allowed but stuff like ‘****’ isn’t.
    For clarity, are you referring to '****', '****', '****' or '****'?

  24. #113
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reminds me of the time a ref told Martin Jol he couldn't call him a ****.

    "Can I think you are a ****," asked Martin.

    "You can think what you want."

    "Ok, I think you're a ****."
    **** = See You Next Tuesday.

  25. #114
    @hibs.net private member hhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Falkirk/Fuerteventura
    Posts
    1,359
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Biggest annoyance is the fact that some posters just post a stream of negativity. I don't know how you police it but maybe a negative thread about the club highlighted so others are prewarned. The site has become less toxic since hecky left the building and I hope the new guidelines mean we dont regress back to the last few weeks where I very rarely posted as it was so tiresome reading through constant negative posts. I hope once the new manager is appointed we all get behind him and we don't get loads of negative posts by folk whose choice of manager didn't get the gig. Ggtth


    whoosh !

  26. #115
    @hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,466
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: verticaldropdj
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suppose another way to look at it is that if anyone else was called a prick by another poster they would likely be warned or given an infraction. The anomaly is arguably that we have allowed the 'admin pricks' thing to go on for so long.

    As I said it personally doesn't offend me, nor do I feel abused, but we decide things as a collective and the majority feel it's time for it to go.
    never knew what the admin pricks thing was about but i've seen a few folk post it sometimes, my interpretation of it was in jest but if we are going to stop any abuse etc then i guess that needs to be included as well as it could open a up a whole "but he/she said this so why can't i say that"

    at the end of the day it's nice to be nice, i get some folk wont always agree with what someone posts and there can be discussion without personal insults or abuse.

    The recent episode with heck has caused a lot of discontent with fans and folk are just angry about the way we've been performing etc when we pay our hard earned cash to watch them.

    good times ahead and when things are good everyone is happy

  27. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The admin pricks joke has had it's day. It's been around for the best part of a decade, if not longer, it was mildly amusing once when there was a context. Now it's just old.

    I'm not offended by it. However is it really going to impact someone's enjoyment of the site if they don't say it? Does it in any way enhance discussion when it's used? Does not using prevent a point from being made?

    As has been said above there has been no change in the rules. You can still refer to a players performance as brutal. You can still have a pop at referees and you can still criticise anything at Hibs which you feel deserves criticism.

    A few people have commented that we are relatively tame compared to other football forums. I'd argue that's exactly because from time to time we post little reminders of the rules like this and we do look at every single reported post and act as and when we feel it's appropriate. There are no favourites, we have all been in difficult positions in the past when dealing with people known to us who have overstepped the mark.

    It's about respect from all side. From not abusing a club employee to not slagging a poster because they may be less articulate than others. I don't think there is anything in the OP that is difficult to understand or anything that suggests censorship.
    I think (and I genuinely hope this is taken in the reasonable way it's intended as I hope I've been around here long enough for folk to know that I don't engage in abusive behaviour or anything of the sort) the issue isn't that folks' enjoyment of the site will be impacted by not referring to the "joke" it's rather that the reply to the "joke" on this thread seems to equate what is admittedly a pretty poor attempt at humour, but humour nonetheless, to the other more serious examples of abuse laid out in the opening post.

    Describing it as "the first thing to be clamped down on" has, I think, caused some concerns about how far the zero tolerance approach will go.

    Please don't take what I've said here the wrong way and I'll reiterate once again that I totally agree with there being no room on this site for the kind of abuse that has seen Tracey Smith resign from her post. I was shocked and disgusted to read about why she has felt the need to step down.

    I don't actually believe that good natured humour or banter will be banned on here but I can understand why some people may have picked that up due to the points raised above.

  28. #117
    @hibs.net private member hhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Falkirk/Fuerteventura
    Posts
    1,359
    Blog Entries
    1
    [QUOTE=Beefster;5985081]Why would someone having a different opinion to you be cracked down on? Some folk are negative/pessimistic - that’s life.

    Indeed.

    On topic, if the word ‘prick’ is banned in general, it might be an idea to add it to the filter. Always seemed a bit of an anomaly that ‘prick’ was allowed but stuff like ‘****’ isn’t.[/Q

  29. #118
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    56
    Posts
    11,366
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think you've made you're feelings clear. Perhaps it's time to drop the subject? We've made our position clear.

    Well this escalated extensively. I'm having a bit of an 'all I said was this piece of halibut is good enough for Jehovah' kind of a feel about it. I took the initial response to mean drop using it or you'll be infracted, so that's where I've now gone with it. I'm sorry to see it go.

    It's been an interesting point though because it does illustrate that different people can be looking at exactly the same thing from different perspectives and come to completely different conclusions. I always took it be be an affectionate term for people who put in hard yards of time to keep the site running, whereas others clearly feel offended by it. It's slightly worrying I suppose that this could equally apply in other contexts so that one admin's meat is another poster's poison or vice versa. Incidentally, if I ever knew what the original joke was I've long ago forgotten it.

    Funnily enough I think this thread is one of the more interesting ones I've read recently too, though I'm still not clear on exactly how the infraction system works.

    Where do we stand on the use of FFS? I'm a little partial to that one too...
    Last edited by One Day Soon; 09-11-2019 at 11:32 AM.

  30. #119
    @hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,877
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by HNA4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    • We have been guilty of hesitance when it comes to dealing with posters who are clearly only here to wind others up. From now on, anybody who we feel is only here to troll the forums or antagonise other members will be swiftly removed. Fewer second chances on this front.
    that could be so open to intepretation, being the forum that it is an admin could simply ban somebody for trolling when they only have a different opinion.

  31. #120
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    56
    Posts
    11,366
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And there is certainly a clique or two in here.
    I once posted on our cliques, but it was all made up pi5h on my part. If there are cliques I don't know/understand what they are.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)