hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 136
  1. #61
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    26,980
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíve only read the opening post, so dunno if itís been spoken about already, but I disagree a lot.

    I donít think there is a lot of abuse, Iíd say thereís very little. For me, people in general are far too quick to take offence to any old **** recently.
    Just 'be excellent to each other' as Bill and Ted used to say, and I'm sure you will have nothing to worry about. Now away and fling ***** at yersel'


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    56
    Posts
    11,453
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't say there's a lot of abuse, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.

    A board member stepped down this week due to harrassment. We're reiterating the important of our rules and guidelines.

    I suggest you read it again!

    I did not know who she was or that she had experienced any abuse or that she had resigned until I saw a thread title on here. However I don't do Facebook because I think its a river of low grade madness or Twitter now because it seems a hate fest, so perhaps that's where the abuse was taking place? Was she abused on .net too?

  4. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think there has been anything untoward on hibs.net that requires a change in approach, to be honest.

    I don't see people being bullied and although there are sometimes questionable attitudes expressed by some, particularly on the Holy Ground, it's always within a respectable boundary.

    For example, the admin pricks thing might be annoying to some, and it might be an old gag, but it's not said seriously or with any malice.

    "Lol he's going to pump" her is older but it's still a good line if it's timed well so age is irrelevant.

    I wholeheartedly agree that online abuse and bullying is abhorrent and steps should be taken to stop it, but gentle fun, and robust arguments, make this site what it is.
    Agreed. I was quite surprised to see a strong response to the bit in bold but then i'm not the one who's the butt of that particular "joke" so maybe I'm wrong.

    Your last paragraph sums things up perfectly for me.

  5. #64
    First Team Breakthrough H113EE5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    339
    Just need to get rid of some of these ********* in the crowd.

  6. #65
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    15,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's really about consistency CT. If it's something you're not offended by, but there's a reasonable chance that others would be, we'd take action to prevent the offending poster from doing it to others.

    Something that's clearly a joke between friends and doesn't infringe upon other users/fans/members of the club won't be an issue.
    I understand this but IMO action should only be taken if a complaint is made and then review what was said. If I get it tight over an opinion but I do not feel it is worthy of complaint you are saying you will decide if others would be offended? I am not trying to look for anything in this I am just looking at the whole thing as a hell of a lot of stuff is completely subjective.

  7. #66
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand this but IMO action should only be taken if a complaint is made and then review what was said. If I get it tight over an opinion but I do not feel it is worthy of complaint you are saying you will decide if others would be offended? I am not trying to look for anything in this I am just looking at the whole thing as a hell of a lot of stuff is completely subjective.
    All we're doing is reaffirming the site rules CT.

    i.e. If somebody decides to call another member a ******* **** (fill in the blanks as you see fit) because they disagree with their opinion, even if the person receiving that abuse isn't offended, that breaks the site rules and the offender will be rightfully banned. This has always been the case, we just wanted to put a spotlight on the importance of the report function and also commit ourselves to acting on the site rules more swiftly and attentively.

    Nobody who isn't being purposefully antagonistic or breaking site rules has anything to worry about. This was simply the right time to make a statement and reaffirm what was already in place.

  8. #67
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    15,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All we're doing is reaffirming the site rules CT.

    i.e. If somebody decides to call another member a ******* **** (fill in the blanks as you see fit) because they disagree with their opinion, even if the person receiving that abuse isn't offended, that breaks the site rules and the offender will be rightfully banned. This has always been the case, we just wanted to put a spotlight on the importance of the report function and also commit ourselves to acting on the site rules more swiftly and attentively.

    Nobody who isn't being purposefully antagonistic or breaking site rules has anything to worry about. This was simply the right time to make a statement and reaffirm what was already in place.
    Oh shut the ***** ****** ****** **** ****** ** up

    Fair enough just asking.

  9. #68
    Coaching Staff mjhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portobello
    Age
    60
    Posts
    5,299
    Biggest annoyance is the fact that some posters just post a stream of negativity. I don't know how you police it but maybe a negative thread about the club highlighted so others are prewarned. The site has become less toxic since hecky left the building and I hope the new guidelines mean we dont regress back to the last few weeks where I very rarely posted as it was so tiresome reading through constant negative posts. I hope once the new manager is appointed we all get behind him and we don't get loads of negative posts by folk whose choice of manager didn't get the gig. Ggtth

  10. #69
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh shut the ***** ****** ****** **** ****** ** up

    Fair enough just asking.
    And I'm just answering CT

    Just want to make sure it's clear that these behaviours don't apply to 99% of our excellent support. A lot of us use Hibs.net every day and it's because the vast majority of the interactions on here are friendly and enjoyable.

  11. #70
    First Team Breakthrough H113EE5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by H113EE5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just need to get rid of some of these ********* in the crowd.

    Sorry. I wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

  12. #71
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,479
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíve only read the opening post, so dunno if itís been spoken about already, but I disagree a lot.

    I donít think there is a lot of abuse, Iíd say thereís very little. For me, people in general are far too quick to take offence to any old **** recently.
    Only reading opening posts could be why you've not noticed anything out of order, there have been several unacceptable posts over the last couple of months. Given that you've already stated you only read the 1st post on this very thread you make a very poor case. I'd say the admins are a lot better placed than you are to decide whether or not there needs to be a reminder of the forum rules.

  13. #72
    Coaching Staff jgl07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Merchiston
    Posts
    7,588
    I must admit that I junk Hibs net, sometimes for a few days sometimes for weeks because of the negativity that sometimes dominates the site.

    This included the last few days of Heckies time at Hibs.

    Negativity has that effect on many others as well.

  14. #73
    Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    5,351
    The guidelines should be laid out clearly. Personal agendas should not get in the way of how these guidelines are applied. Online bullying is abhorrent and completely unacceptable, regardless of what views people hold on whatever subjects.

    Nobody should come on here and be subjected to personal attacks regardless of whether they're supportive or critical of the club.

  15. #74
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,979
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did not know who she was or that she had experienced any abuse or that she had resigned until I saw a thread title on here. However I don't do Facebook because I think its a river of low grade madness or Twitter now because it seems a hate fest, so perhaps that's where the abuse was taking place? Was she abused on .net too?
    Abused on match days at ER

  16. #75
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    17,502
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I must admit that I junk Hibs net, sometimes for a few days sometimes for weeks because of the negativity that sometimes dominates the site.

    This included the last few days of Heckies time at Hibs.

    Negativity has that effect on many others as well.
    While I find the negativity draining and not what I want to read, I donít think you can say itís in any way out of order. When the team is struggling I notice certain posters come to the fore and seem way more vocal than when the team is doing well. I also take breaks from this site, mainly due to the negativity, but the real problem is the nasty element that occasionally rears its head.

    United we stand here....

  17. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I must admit that I junk Hibs net, sometimes for a few days sometimes for weeks because of the negativity that sometimes dominates the site.

    This included the last few days of Heckies time at Hibs.

    Negativity has that effect on many others as well.
    I don't think negativity is what's being targeted here. When we find ourselves one point off the bottom of the table in November, with one win in 16 league matches, you're going to encounter a lot of very negative Hibs fans.

    Negativity and abuse are two very different things.

  18. #77
    Coaching Staff Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    6,345
    From what I've read .net is already the tamest of supporter forums across the biggest clubs in Scotland IMO. It's terrible that Tracey had to resign but I don't think any of that had anything to do with abuse on here?

    I'm surprised the admin xxxxx* joke was picked up on so forcefully on this thread when it's clearly meant as light hearted banter and do worry that if that sort of thing is now banned what sort of road the site is going down.

    * I've purposely starred out the word so I don't receive a banning for posting it.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 09-11-2019 at 06:25 AM.

  19. #78
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    26,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and do worry that if that sort of thing is now banned what sort of road the site is going down
    I think you need to read the admins responses. They've been very clear.

  20. #79
    Can I continue to call a referee a fud ?

  21. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The site has become less toxic since hecky left the building and I hope the new guidelines mean we dont regress back to the last few weeks where I very rarely posted as it was so tiresome reading through constant negative posts
    Just to be clear MJ, it’s not new guidelines but a reminder of the rules that are already in place.

    There’s always going to be negativity on here, just as there will always be positivity and we are not attempting to stifle either viewpoint. Despite what is often said elsewhere online, we don’t have a party line and as admins we all have our own individual views on every subject. All we ever do is try to make the boards a place where people can respectfully discuss all things Hibs (and more).

    Unfortunately it’s just that results and performances on the park have mean there’s been a lot more negativity recently

    Another wee thing to mention is that the infraction and warning system is there for us to use where we think people have overstepped the mark. We all keep an eye on the boards each day, helped by people using the report post function but remember we’re all just normal folk like everyone else with jobs and families and other stuff in our lives, so we can’t be on here 24 hours a day. The warnings are always done direct with the individual poster, so other board users won’t always see that someone has had a gentle reminder of what’s OK and what’s not. We very, very rarely remove someone immediately unless they’ve gone way over the mark, and 99% of the time it’s usually enough to bring people back inside the rules again.

    We we don’t run a police state on here, and I think we’re pretty understanding especially when emotions run high like they have recently. Hopefully we get a new gaffer in that can get the team winning again and we can get back to moaning about pies and other important stuff.

  22. #81
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    I think if someone asks someone else not to call them a certain name, that should be the end of it. Its something I would do in real life.

    If the other person continues to bad mouth them after fair warning then that is deliberate abuse.

  23. #82
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    Also came off Facebook when I called out a Hibs fan for calling Hecky a peado, final straw for me. I gave here a miss as well for a while when burning his car at HTC was mentioned.

  24. #83
    Coaching Staff Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    6,345
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you need to read the admins responses. They've been very clear.
    I've read it and I agree entirely that abuse and trolling should not be permitted however banter and heated debate are.

    My point was that a poster then posts a well known saying which is clearly meant as banter and is in no way meant to be offensive yet it's banned by the admin.

  25. #84
    @hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,524
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: verticaldropdj
    Agreed, no need for abuse online or anywhere else for that matter

  26. #85
    @hibs.net private member Sammy7nil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    9,151
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Biggest annoyance is the fact that some posters just post a stream of negativity. I don't know how you police it but maybe a negative thread about the club highlighted so others are prewarned. The site has become less toxic since hecky left the building and I hope the new guidelines mean we dont regress back to the last few weeks where I very rarely posted as it was so tiresome reading through constant negative posts. I hope once the new manager is appointed we all get behind him and we don't get loads of negative posts by folk whose choice of manager didn't get the gig. Ggtth
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I must admit that I junk Hibs net, sometimes for a few days sometimes for weeks because of the negativity that sometimes dominates the site.

    This included the last few days of Heckies time at Hibs.

    Negativity has that effect on many others as well.
    As others have said one win up to November one point of the bottom of the league, poor football, no obvious playing plan there is always going to be negativity. I don't think we should trying to restrict what posters can and can't say so long as it is not abusive.

    There is always the option blocking posters.

  27. #86
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    26,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've read it and I agree entirely that abuse and trolling should not be permitted however banter and heated debate are.

    My point was that a poster then posts a well known saying which is clearly meant as banter and is in no way meant to be offensive yet it's banned by the admin.
    1st para, we're in agreement
    2nd para, I'm not really bothered by that either way

  28. #87
    @hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    west lothian
    Posts
    1,953
    Just glad not on any of the social media groups.

  29. #88
    The admin pricks joke has had it's day. It's been around for the best part of a decade, if not longer, it was mildly amusing once when there was a context. Now it's just old.

    I'm not offended by it. However is it really going to impact someone's enjoyment of the site if they don't say it? Does it in any way enhance discussion when it's used? Does not using prevent a point from being made?

    As has been said above there has been no change in the rules. You can still refer to a players performance as brutal. You can still have a pop at referees and you can still criticise anything at Hibs which you feel deserves criticism.

    A few people have commented that we are relatively tame compared to other football forums. I'd argue that's exactly because from time to time we post little reminders of the rules like this and we do look at every single reported post and act as and when we feel it's appropriate. There are no favourites, we have all been in difficult positions in the past when dealing with people known to us who have overstepped the mark.

    It's about respect from all side. From not abusing a club employee to not slagging a poster because they may be less articulate than others. I don't think there is anything in the OP that is difficult to understand or anything that suggests censorship.

  30. #89
    Coaching Staff Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    6,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The admin pricks joke has had it's day. It's been around for the best part of a decade, if not longer, it was mildly amusing once when there was a context. Now it's just old.

    I'm not offended by it. However is it really going to impact someone's enjoyment of the site if they don't say it? Does it in any way enhance discussion when it's used? Does not using prevent a point from being made?
    I just think it was OTT to ban it to be honest, it's not a massive issue but when the central point of the original post was that abuse won't be tolerated but banter and debate is encouraged, to then follow on and ban something that's clearly not abusive or trolling is a strange signal to send.

  31. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just think it was OTT to ban it to be honest, it's not a massive issue but when the central point of the original post was that abuse won't be tolerated but banter and debate is encouraged, to then follow on and ban something that's clearly not abusive or trolling is a strange signal to send.
    I suppose another way to look at it is that if anyone else was called a prick by another poster they would likely be warned or given an infraction. The anomaly is arguably that we have allowed the 'admin pricks' thing to go on for so long.

    As I said it personally doesn't offend me, nor do I feel abused, but we decide things as a collective and the majority feel it's time for it to go.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)