hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 136
  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    18,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really. Are we no longer allowed to describe a player as "brutal" for example. I mean if you genuinely feel that that is an apt description?

    It isn't racist, homophobic, or sexist. Extreme maybe.

    I have seen posters who I would describe as overly sensitive calling for posters to be banned for describing players that way.

    The lines become blurred. People will not post their honest opinion or you'll ban people whose opinions are at the wrong extreme. The site would be poorer for it.
    Think youíre fine to call players brutal unless that said player is on here and complains to us


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really. Are we no longer allowed to describe a player as "brutal" for example. I mean if you genuinely feel that that is an apt description?

    It isn't racist, homophobic, or sexist. Extreme maybe.

    I have seen posters who I would describe as overly sensitive calling for posters to be banned for describing players that way.

    The lines become blurred. People will not post their honest opinion or you'll ban people whose opinions are at the wrong extreme. The site would be poorer for it.
    No one is going to be banned for calling a player 'brutal'. That's exactly the kind of thing that can, and should, be sorted by self policing and debate.

    I'm sure people can apply a bit common sense when it comes to reporting posts and so on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  4. #33
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think youíre fine to call players brutal unless that said player is on here and complains to us
    Exactly, think you're safe there.

    FWIW I think the post is clear about the approach. The rules are already in place, we've just outlined how we plan to enforce them more effectively.

  5. #34
    Testimonial Due Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    4,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one is going to be banned for calling a player 'brutal'. That's exactly the kind of thing that can, and should, be sorted by self policing and debate.

    I'm sure people can apply a bit common sense when it comes to reporting posts and so on.
    Thanks both for the replies.

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    29
    Posts
    12,078
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think youíre fine to call players brutal unless that said player is on here and complains to us
    Or if it's Stevenson?
    Mon the Hibs.

  7. #36
    Especially glad to see the clampdown on the blatant trolling. I reported a user multiple times over the couse of a year or so and nothing was done about it until very recently when they were banned. It was so painfully obviously and almost all of their posting was trying to wind people up.

    Been on here 10 years now and had many arguments but never felt the need to personally abuse people, even when I was just a daft laddie when I joined. (I'm sure someone will find a post now where I've been out of order )

    Definitely a positive change for this place. I was a big opponent to the abuse our players and staff were receiving.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    18,577
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or if it's Stevenson?
    Iíll be personally banning anyone who dares to criticise Stevenson!

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    12,442
    Amen. Peace out.

    I hate that tired expression for admins - have no idea where it originated. sent mixed messages so glad the sun has set on that.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    16,895
    Good news. Iíve never been offended by anything Iíve read on here, but Iíve found the forum to be less enjoyable lately. Replies like are you on crack etc to someone giving their opinion is just unnecessary. Iím old enough to remember life before Internet forums and I have a rule that I wouldnít say something online that I wouldnít say face to face. Iíd hate this place to become a sanitised boring forum that doesnít allow passionate opinions to be expressed, but it shouldnít ever become personal.

    United we stand here....

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    257
    Hopefully people wont get banned without them having the chance to apologise. As a new poster, i find this site pretty tame, and dont see much nonsense at all. There does seem a few more established posters who like to get into heated debate with the same people regardless of the topic

    This is a great Hibs site, and fully of radges of all sorts Hope it doesnt change too much!

    The admins appear to do a relatively good job here, and has been mentioned previously, there is good self policing on this site.

  12. #41
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by HNA4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello All,

    In light of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Tracey Smithís resignation as from her role as Fans Representative on the Hibs Board, we felt this would be a good time to review how we operate here.

    Several of you have mentioned in posts and told us directly that you find hibs.net to be a less friendly place than before. Ė we hear you.

    Going forward we will be applying the existing rules more robustly to ensure that Hibs.net continues to be the friendly, inclusive site we all want it to be. We will do this in the following ways:

    ē By shoring up our zero-tolerance attitude to abusive, insulting or aggressive behaviours. Members found to be breaching these behaviours will be banned, without exception. These include personal insults, racism, sexism, homophobia and threats.
    ē We have been guilty of hesitance when it comes to dealing with posters who are clearly only here to wind others up. From now on, anybody who we feel is only here to troll the forums or antagonise other members will be swiftly removed. Fewer second chances on this front.
    ē Whilst we rarely see the kind of vitriolic abuse directed at individual club personalities that appears on social media sites, we have recently had to remove some posters that have overstepped the mark and we will continue to monitor this with vigilance.

    We recognise that the vast majority of our users are Hibs fans who simply want to connect with others in the community, share their thoughts and experiences, and have some fun whilst doing it. When we look at equivalent forums for other British football teams, itís safe to say that Hibs.net is one of the best groups out there, but itís vitally important that we do our utmost to retain what we do well, whilst improving the areas in which we fall short.

    It is at this point that weíd also like to call on you, fellow members of Hibs.net, to help us along the way Ė with our site rules and community guidelines in mind, please do use the report function to flag up posts that you feel go against these values.

    We do review every report, this fact isnít always communicated, but itís true. The report function is there to allow our community to hold each other accountable and we should have been putting a spotlight on this more often. No one other than the admin team will see any reports that you send, be they forum posts or private messages, so please donít hesitate to flag these to us.

    Finally, weíd like to thank you all for making Hibs.net the vibrant, entertaining and friendly place that it so often is. Thereís a significant period of change happening at the club currently and we want Hibs.net to be your favourite place to read and discuss all the news that comes along with that.

    Best wishes,

    The Hibs.net Admin Team
    Good call.
    Banter and healthy debate is great but Iíve found the forum quite a frosty place during the PH months. To the point of just avoiding it due to the vitriol
    And unpleasantness.
    Welcome post.

  13. #42
    Coaching Staff iwasthere1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh South
    Posts
    21,046
    Well done. Bad enough having to put up with the football and the results we've suffered for months but all the abuse and countless moaning threads really deters me from coming on here. It's the usual culprits from what I can see but I wouldn't get drawn into it.

  14. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think youíre fine to call players brutal unless that said player is on here and complains to us
    Paul says itís not fine. 😂

  15. #44
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul says itís not fine. 😂

  16. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you serious? It's funny, gentle, affectionate and entirely respectful.
    I've always thought that term was taken as the light hearted joke that it's intended to be but perhaps not. There's a fine line between good natured humour or banter and malicious abuse and I certainly don't agree with the latter in any walk of life.

    Hopefully it will be enforced sensibly and those who have crossed the line will think twice about their actions going forward.

    I certainly wouldn't like to see anyone face the level of abuse that Tracey Smith obviously has.

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably best not to post anything that could offend others on the forum, including the admin I suppose.
    That's nanny state thinking.

    What needs pointing out is the difference polemic and what's not. Too many admins (and some long time posters) on here are too sanctimonious for me - if your opinion is different, then you are wrong and that's it.

    As long as the individual is not attacked then open debate should be encouraged.

    Remember, you may not like it, but it's just someone's opinion. If you don't like it, switch off your internet.

  18. #47
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,943
    Agree with this approach.

    admins do a great job of managing a difficult balance on here, especially when the team are struggling which leaves all of us frustrated, looking for a release and probably a lot more touchy than normal.

    cheers for all your hard work folks, itís greatly appreciated

  19. #48
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    43,178
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberSauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's nanny state thinking.

    What needs pointing out is the difference polemic and what's not. Too many admins (and some long time posters) on here are too sanctimonious for me - if your opinion is different, then you are wrong and that's it.

    As long as the individual is not attacked then open debate should be encouraged.

    Remember, you may not like it, but it's just someone's opinion. If you don't like it, switch off your internet.
    Open debate is encouraged and at the risk of proving the point () I'd love to see an example of where an admin has told someone they're wrong and that was that.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  20. #49
    @hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    16,957
    Are we still aloud to post this
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16


  21. #50
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    29
    Posts
    12,078
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we still aloud to post this
    No, you need to do it quietly.
    Mon the Hibs.

  22. #51
    Testimonial Due wpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    london
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,139
    Debate is healthy
    Abuse is unhealthy
    Trolling is sad and pathetic but a product of the times unfortunately, we, Hibernian fans need to try to be better than that. All of course IMHO 👍

  23. #52
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we still aloud to post this
    Only when a Celtic striker who shall not be named is given a mention on a Greggs thread.

  24. #53
    @hibs.net private member The 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    16,128
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well done. Bad enough having to put up with the football and the results we've suffered for months but all the abuse and countless moaning threads really deters me from coming on here. It's the usual culprits from what I can see but I wouldn't get drawn into it.
    At the same time, more established members coming out with ďthis is exactly why I donít post anymoreĒ when someone posts a thread is also abusive and a slyer, more damaging way of saying they donít agree with a post or the person is talking rubbish. Think how it makes someone feel to read that something they post is making others not visit the site.

  25. #54
    @hibs.net private member The 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    16,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only when a Celtic striker who shall not be named is given a mention on a Greggs thread.
    Ex Celtic striker whoís surname sounds a bit similar to fireman and I would agree 😁

  26. #55
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    43,711
    I don't think there has been anything untoward on hibs.net that requires a change in approach, to be honest.

    I don't see people being bullied and although there are sometimes questionable attitudes expressed by some, particularly on the Holy Ground, it's always within a respectable boundary.

    For example, the admin pricks thing might be annoying to some, and it might be an old gag, but it's not said seriously or with any malice.

    "Lol he's going to pump" her is older but it's still a good line if it's timed well so age is irrelevant.

    I wholeheartedly agree that online abuse and bullying is abhorrent and steps should be taken to stop it, but gentle fun, and robust arguments, make this site what it is.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 08-11-2019 at 10:48 PM.

  27. #56
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think there has been anything untoward on hibs.net that requires a change in approach, to be honest.

    I don't see people being bullied and although there are sometimes questionable attitudes expressed by some, particularly on the Holy Ground, it's always within a respectable boundary.

    For example, the admin pricks thing might be annoying to some, and it might be an old gag, but it's not said seriously or with any malice.

    "Lol he's going to pump" her is older but it's still a good line if it's timed well.

    I wholeheartedly agree that online abuse and bullying is abhorrent and steps should be taken to stop it, but gentle fun, and robust arguments, make this site what it is.
    I understand why some folk want to ensure that the more light hearted elements of the site are retained, and we can assure you that these aren't under threat HR.

    This is maybe a good time to mention that some of the more untoward things on here get reported and removed from here pretty swiftly, but it certainly does happen on occasion.

    As reflected in the post, I think we're in agreement that the conduct on Hibs.net is above average when compared to other online spaces, but when we reflect on Tracey's experiences, it's important that we always strive to do better. It can't hurt to have a refresher every once in a while, and I think it's also good for us all to be able to hold each other accountable, to prevent there being more Hibbies who go through a similar experience to Tracey.

    I'm glad you haven't seen these behaviours on Hibs.net though HR, it's just about making sure it stays that way.

  28. #57
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,167
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Iíve only read the opening post, so dunno if itís been spoken about already, but I disagree a lot.

    I donít think there is a lot of abuse, Iíd say thereís very little. For me, people in general are far too quick to take offence to any old **** recently.

  29. #58
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    56
    Posts
    11,330
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think there has been anything untoward on hibs.net that requires a change in approach, to be honest.

    I don't see people being bullied and although there are sometimes questionable attitudes expressed by some, particularly on the Holy Ground, it's always within a respectable boundary.

    For example, the admin pricks thing might be annoying to some, and it might be an old gag, but it's not said seriously or with any malice.

    "Lol he's going to pump" her is older but it's still a good line if it's timed well so age is irrelevant.

    I wholeheartedly agree that online abuse and bullying is abhorrent and steps should be taken to stop it, but gentle fun, and robust arguments, make this site what it is.

    The Holy Ground is now, to me, the equivalent of the old Dundee Arms or 'Vietnam' as it - too - was affectionately known. I will miss the APs references, I thought they were actually unambigously deferential to the the admins. I must admit I'm pretty amused by thought of the admins collectively sitting down to discuss the new era of .net detente and getting to that particular point on the agenda.

    You make an important point though, humour is pretty subjective so the administrator persons could be quite busy...

  30. #59
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíve only read the opening post, so dunno if itís been spoken about already, but I disagree a lot.

    I donít think there is a lot of abuse, Iíd say thereís very little. For me, people in general are far too quick to take offence to any old **** recently.
    It doesn't say there's a lot of abuse, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.

    A board member stepped down this week due to harrassment. We're reiterating the important of our rules and guidelines.

    I suggest you read it again!

  31. #60
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    43,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand why some folk want to ensure that the more light hearted elements of the site are retained, and we can assure you that these aren't under threat HR.

    This is maybe a good time to mention that some of the more untoward things on here get reported and removed from here pretty swiftly, but it certainly does happen on occasion.

    As reflected in the post, I think we're in agreement that the conduct on Hibs.net is above average when compared to other online spaces, but when we reflect on Tracey's experiences, it's important that we always strive to do better. It can't hurt to have a refresher every once in a while, and I think it's also good for us all to be able to hold each other accountable, to prevent there being more Hibbies who go through a similar experience to Tracey.

    I'm glad you haven't seen these behaviours on Hibs.net though HR, it's just about making sure it stays that way.
    I agree.

    I wouldn't like to see someone being banned because of a single, out of character, remark, but it's good to reiterate that there are lines which shouldn't be crossed.
    Last edited by BroxburnHibee; 09-11-2019 at 01:40 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)