hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibs class?

Hibs class?

I think as a fanbase we are slowly but surely losing legitimate claim to this tag.

The level of personal abuse PH has been getting over the past few weeks well overstepped the line.

Mallan being told he's not allowed to have a social life.

Boyle being told he can't represent his country.

Fan rep being hounded out of her role because of abuse.

Yes, its the actions of a minority in most cases, but imo it needs to be called out none the less.

As a fan you're supposed to support your club - that means helping make it better. That's not happening nearly as much as it should, online at least.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think it’s a total myth anyway, what is Hibs class I would ask? We like any other club do some real good but we also have a lot of classless idiots associated with the club as does most other clubs. Therefore I think it’s a made up label by fans wanting to pay ourselves on the back when in reality it really is a self assigned label imo.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it’s a total myth anyway, what is Hibs class I would ask? We like any other club do some real good but we also have a lot of classless idiots associated with the club as does most other clubs. Therefore I think it’s a made up label by fans wanting to pay ourselves on the back when in reality it really is a self assigned label imo.
    Absolutely spot on. Total fabrication and it’s a claim made by supporters of every club, which other supporters quickly shoot down without understanding the irony of it all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    The fan rep thing was an absolute disgrace. Personal and threatening behavior to someone just trying to do their best for the club is appalling.

As is any personal abuse towards players or management. But I think some people think that you're not allowed to claim a manager or player isn't good enough. Heckingbottom was nowhere near good enough and people should be allowed to say so. I didn't think there was much personal abuse aimed at him, or at least from what I seen/read anyway.

The Boyle thing? I do think he should be concentrating on Hibs over Australia at this point. He put them first before, but I suppose that's his choice. I just think it's a wrong one putting your club 2nd.

Mallan? Yeah, that was ridiculous someone having a go because he has a social life. Players are allowed out.

On the whole, I think our fanbase is superb considering what we've had to put up with over the years on the pitch. Apart from the fan rep being threatened, which as I said, was outrageous.
    Last edited by Steve20; 08-11-2019 at 10:08 AM.

I think we should ditch the whole woolly, comfort blanket daft concept. All clubs and fanbases do classy things, behave well at times etc and all clubs and fanbases contain their own portion of knobheads and degenerates.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Can’t stand self congratulating football fans, and unfortunately these islands are full of them. Celtic, norn iron, newcastle, liverpool, all claiming to be the “greatest fans in the world”. Hibs class falls into the same category and makes me cringe every time I hear it

The fans rep thing is shameful.

These cowards and very sad people are not hibs fans.

Hibs fans as a whole are barry - we’re a unique, passionate bunch - we all care but show it in different ways and opinions.

There’s a line on where not to cross - I think we all ken it - constructive criticism and airing frustrations falls on the right side of line though and fine in my books (ultimately they will shape progression).

We can and should collectively, club and support, challenge behaviours that we know are wrong - keeping all the positive energy for supporting and backing the club/team.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    As is any personal abuse towards players or management. But I think some people think that you're not allowed to claim a manager or player isn't good enough. Heckingbottom was nowhere near good enough and people should be allowed to say so. I didn't think there was much personal abuse aimed at him, or at least from what I seen/read anyway.
    There has been loads of personal abuse aimed at the players and management on here and social media the last couple of months with PH unsurprisingly facing the majority of it. No point listing all the things he’s been called because they’ll all just get asterisked out anyway but there was absolutely a personal side to people’s dislike of him. If it was kept to his managerial ability then that’s fine. But being a crap manager doesn’t make him an ********, a prick or a paedo, or any of the other personal insults that have been aimed at him.

Football is an emotive game. It's completely irrational and it causes people to behave in ways that they may not in other circumstances. It's tribal, it evokes extreme passion and it's a huge part of a lot of peoples lives.

It is though, just a game. 22 men booting a ball about for 90 minutes. Of course the sum is greater than the parts but sometimes you need to take a step back and consider whether a game is worth causing someone to feel threatened and unsafe. I've said above that football is emotive and it's reactionary, in the heat of the moment I'd suggest almost all of us are capable of overstepping the mark in some of our rhetoric; I certainly have in the past and I daresay I will do so again. There is though a difference between an isolated outburst and a sustained campaign of personal abuse. Of course football fans should be able to discuss and air negative opinions about the goings on at their club and the players representing them but there's a line that seems to be becoming increasingly blurred.

I think Twitter in particular encourages throwaway comment in which a point has to be as extreme as possible because there is no capacity to go into any real detail of why such an opinion has been formed. That of course spreads and it's increasingly common on here as well. Robust debate is to be welcomed, throwing about abuse and then storming off in a huff or acting aggressively when challenged is not.

Does 'Hibs class' exist? No more than it does at any other club imo. We have some fantastic people following the club, we have a majority of ordinary punters and then we have some total roasters. Unfortunately when we are struggling on (and off) the park the latter group feel empowered and become increasingly prominent. I hope someone in a voluntary position being forced to resign acts as a wake up call but I'm not holding my breath. Some will wear it as a badge of honour. It's up the decent majority to speak up, debate with respect and drown out the minority.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    We have some fantastic people following the club, we have a majority of ordinary punters and then we have some total roasters. Unfortunately when we are struggling on (and off) the park the latter group feel empowered and become increasingly prominent. Some will wear it as a badge of honour. It's up the decent majority to speak up, debate with respect and drown out the minority.
    Just a reflection of society in general these days then?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Social media is toxic.

Anyone can fire off any message they like, at any time and in any context or frame of mind, to almost anyone they want, anonymously if they choose.

This is the first time in history this has been possible and it’s not healthy. The technology exists before humankind has learned how to use it.

Left by mutual consent!
    The irony of the phrase Hibs Class is that it was coined by a man whose nickname was **** Off, who was regularly abusive to his own clubs supporters, and players, and would be called a bully by the people complaining about Hibs supporters lacking class

Moral, Hibs class is a total construct which seems to encompass whatever the user is wanting to say.

Is it Hibs Class to call the people who abused Tracey bawbags? Probably not, but that's what they are.

Wha’s like us?
    Every society has morons that steal oxygen
    We have our fair share like any other Club

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    I think as a fanbase we are slowly but surely losing legitimate claim to this tag.

The level of personal abuse PH has been getting over the past few weeks well overstepped the line.

Mallan being told he's not allowed to have a social life.

Boyle being told he can't represent his country.

Fan rep being hounded out of her role because of abuse.

Yes, its the actions of a minority in most cases, but imo it needs to be called out none the less.

As a fan you're supposed to support your club - that means helping make it better. That's not happening nearly as much as it should, online at least.
    Its simply doesnt exist... but if it did, the team would be in the mediocre class.

In the main, Hibernian fans are excellent

Its a myth, as it is with every football club. From time to time we have had classy people associated with this club, Pat Stanton, Frank Sauzee, John McGinn for example ... great players on the pitch, great people off it, but all clubs can claim the same.

Its the same with our fans ... Sunshine on Leith has raised our profile as a support in a really positive way and we can all be rightly proud of the guys who formed Dnipro Kids. But we also had the worst casual element probably in the UK in the 90s and we have all seen Hibs fans act like total assholes on occasion .... anybody who turned on Tracey on a personal level needs to get a life, criticism is fine, personal abuse is not.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I've always treated the term Hibs Class ironically and as a bit of fun, not a serious claim of some kind of moral superiority. Every support contains a mixture of good folk and nutters, though some clubs do attract the latter group more than most e.g. Rangers, Millwall, Chelsea.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Can’t stand self congratulating football fans, and unfortunately these islands are full of them. Celtic, norn iron, newcastle, liverpool, all claiming to be the “greatest fans in the world”. Hibs class falls into the same category and makes me cringe every time I hear it
    If these fans claim they are the best then there must be the worse fans?? The percentage of Liverpool fans that live closer to another team is probably greater than any other team on earth, even Man U, on this basis I would say they're the worst fans!!... The ultimate tourist team...

Quote Originally Posted by celthedd1 View Post
    If these fans claim they are the best then there must be the worse fans?? The percentage of Liverpool fans that live closer to another team is probably greater than any other team on earth, even Man U, on this basis I would say they're the worst fans!!... The ultimate tourist team...
    Any empirical proof for that? Or just havering?

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    It could be his opinion. As you posted not long ago life would be boring if we all had the same opinion
    You could call your posting when you called the whole of Birmingham a sh**hole as havering but you are entitled to your opinion.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ben johnson View Post
    It could be his opinion. As you posted not long ago life would be boring if we all had the same opinion
    You could call your posting when you called the whole of Birmingham a sh**hole as havering but you are entitled to your opinion.
    Some things are beyond dispute, particularly when you ask Brummies what they think of their city.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    You are correct.

But I think Hibs Class is more of a noble aspiration and it does no harm to talk of it and openly present the notion as part of our club culture.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Proof... Erm no, 7 billion folk to myther would take some time... Half a million city shared with another big club where's Everton had more fans up to 45 years ago. In my opinion probably the biggest fan base in the world by today... Its not difficult to work out, they're everywhere around here and most of them know more about farming than football....

Left by mutual consent!
    I don't like when someone says about a failing manager 'get this **** out of MY club' I immediately think but it's not your club so wheesht.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    You are correct.

But I think Hibs Class is more of a noble aspiration and it does no harm to talk of it and openly present the notion as part of our club culture.
    The question is what does "Hibs Class" actually mean. I find the term quite cringeworthy in that it is so self congratulatory.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavers View Post
    I don't like when someone says about a failing manager 'get this **** out of MY club' I immediately think but it's not your club so wheesht.
    "I pay your wages" really sticks in my craw. Because, the players pay our wages.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs class? This idea puts us on par with some of the self important nonsense that the green brigade spout. It's easy to have 'class' when your team is flying high and there's a positive vibe around the club. Some of the treatment aimed at the club, ex manager, CEO etc over the last few months quite clearly makes us no different to any other fan base. Let's park this hibs class rubbish as it's just embarrasing.
    Last edited by hibee-boys; 09-11-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Because, the players pay our wages.
    Eh?

I hate the expression and I'd be happy to never read or hear anyone use it ever again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Eh?
    By buying goods and services that we sell. I wouldn't be happy if they turned up at my work and started shouting at me.

They are not our slaves, but some people talk like paying their admission money gives them control over the player.