hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 136
  1. #1

    Our Approach to Online Behaviour

    Hello All,

    In light of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Tracey Smiths resignation as from her role as Fans Representative on the Hibs Board, we felt this would be a good time to review how we operate here.

    Several of you have mentioned in posts and told us directly that you find hibs.net to be a less friendly place than before. we hear you.

    Going forward we will be applying the existing rules more robustly to ensure that Hibs.net continues to be the friendly, inclusive site we all want it to be. We will do this in the following ways:

    By shoring up our zero-tolerance attitude to abusive, insulting or aggressive behaviours. Members found to be breaching these behaviours will be banned, without exception. These include personal insults, racism, sexism, homophobia and threats.
    We have been guilty of hesitance when it comes to dealing with posters who are clearly only here to wind others up. From now on, anybody who we feel is only here to troll the forums or antagonise other members will be swiftly removed. Fewer second chances on this front.
    Whilst we rarely see the kind of vitriolic abuse directed at individual club personalities that appears on social media sites, we have recently had to remove some posters that have overstepped the mark and we will continue to monitor this with vigilance.

    We recognise that the vast majority of our users are Hibs fans who simply want to connect with others in the community, share their thoughts and experiences, and have some fun whilst doing it. When we look at equivalent forums for other British football teams, its safe to say that Hibs.net is one of the best groups out there, but its vitally important that we do our utmost to retain what we do well, whilst improving the areas in which we fall short.

    It is at this point that wed also like to call on you, fellow members of Hibs.net, to help us along the way with our site rules and community guidelines in mind, please do use the report function to flag up posts that you feel go against these values.

    We do review every report, this fact isnt always communicated, but its true. The report function is there to allow our community to hold each other accountable and we should have been putting a spotlight on this more often. No one other than the admin team will see any reports that you send, be they forum posts or private messages, so please dont hesitate to flag these to us.

    Finally, wed like to thank you all for making Hibs.net the vibrant, entertaining and friendly place that it so often is. Theres a significant period of change happening at the club currently and we want Hibs.net to be your favourite place to read and discuss all the news that comes along with that.

    Best wishes,

    The Hibs.net Admin Team


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Can this be made a sticky, woukd hate to see this getting lost on page 2 after a day or 2.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Sammy7nil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    9,049
    Don't disagree with the policy however this is a great site and there really is very little abusive or threatening posts. I hope the Admins still allow a bit of "banter" or it could become a very dull site. Good luck Admins i don't envy your job.

  5. #4
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    25,972
    Great call admins, let's lead by example . Sticky please.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't disagree with the policy however this is a great site and there really is very little abusive or threatening posts. I hope the Admins still allow a bit of "banter" or it could become a very dull site. Good luck Admins i don't envy your job.
    I don't think anyone wants to see an end to banter or even robust and 'heated' debate. It's all about making sure we keep things on the right side of the line. 99% of the time that happens anyway and self policing is very good on here.

    It's never easy when we are rubbish because a lot of people want a moan, some take it too far and others then react to that it all becomes a bit antagonistic and silly. If we, as admins, keep on top of the really bad stuff, everyone takes a few seconds to think before they post and we all show respect to each other then this place becomes a far more pleasant place to spend time.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    14,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't disagree with the policy however this is a great site and there really is very little abusive or threatening posts. I hope the Admins still allow a bit of "banter" or it could become a very dull site. Good luck Admins i don't envy your job.
    Fair point, and I'm sure the admins can distinguish a joke from something more sinister; though it isn't an easy role, as you say. In my time on here, I've literally only seen a couple of posts that were threatening; personal insults much more, though not common. Trolling is perhaps the biggest issue, but it's a matter of judgement regarding what qualifies as trolling. Overall I find .net a friendly and welcoming place, with the vast majority of posters here for the right reasons. Bigotry is easier to identify and must be non-negotiable in all forms.

    Compared to some football message boards I've read, .net is well behaved, but sometimes disagreements are taken too far in the heat of the moment.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Silversand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,788
    Well said admins.

    I'm thinking it's worse on other social media compared with .net (Facebook I'm looking at you) but good that we're trying to keep things calm on here.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Silversand; 08-11-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    21.05.2016

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    35,615
    100% agree

  10. #9
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,729
    By the way we'll make this sticky after plenty have had a chance to see it.

  11. #10
    Agree. Hopefully we all take note

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    56
    Posts
    11,330
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Admin pricks do a great job on here in my view and some debates must be quite hard to police when heated because generally I think they are honest disagreements rather than anything more personal, but from time to time it's clear there is also an 'edge'. I also think most posters police themselves pretty well. I know I've locked horns from time to time and been conscious when a sparring partner has toned it down or stepped back a bit.

    Is there any infraction system at work - a kind of three strikes and you're out approach?

  13. #12
    First Team Regular Hibby Gav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    877


    ggtth

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Admin pricks do a great job on here in my view and some debates must be quite hard to police when heated because generally I think they are honest disagreements rather than anything more personal, but from time to time it's clear there is also an 'edge'. I also think most posters police themselves pretty well. I know I've locked horns from time to time and been conscious when a sparring partner has toned it down or stepped back a bit.

    Is there any infraction system at work - a kind of three strikes and you're out approach?

    And we have a winner! First thing to be clamped down in is this very very old joke. Its not funny and totally disrespectful.


    Yes theres an infraction system

    People can also report private messages if you feel they are abusive in any way.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    56
    Posts
    11,330
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And we have a winner! First thing to be clamped down in is this very very old joke. Its not funny and totally disrespectful.


    Yes theres an infraction system

    People can also report private messages if you feel they are abusive in any way.

    Are you serious? It's funny, gentle, affectionate and entirely respectful.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you serious? It's funny, gentle, affectionate and entirely respectful.
    Im serious its not funny ten years after the event most people dont even know what the joke was . Its time to put it to bed .

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,184
    Can't argue with any of that

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    56
    Posts
    11,330
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    How does the infraction system work?

  19. #18
    Well done admins 👍🏻

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    53
    Posts
    20,993
    100% agree with the OP statement, keep up the great work its very much appreciated.

  21. #20
    Great stuff.

  22. #21
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    15,211
    In principle 100%. However what if something per say is aimed at me I don't find offensive but admins do?

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member The 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    16,128
    Reminds me of the right to sensor.

    Seriously though Im in full agreement.

  24. #23
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Osprey Heights
    Posts
    29,356
    I'm in favour of the principle of what you're trying to do but I'm a bit worried that there are some Admins that quite clearly have a completely different viewpoint on what constitutes "banter" or "humour".

  25. #24
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In principle 100%. However what if something per say is aimed at me I don't find offensive but admins do?
    It's really about consistency CT. If it's something you're not offended by, but there's a reasonable chance that others would be, we'd take action to prevent the offending poster from doing it to others.

    Something that's clearly a joke between friends and doesn't infringe upon other users/fans/members of the club won't be an issue.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member The 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    16,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm in favour of the principle of what you're trying to do but I'm a bit worried that there are some Admins that quite clearly have a completely different viewpoint on what constitutes "banter" or "humour".
    Probably best not to post anything that could offend others on the forum, including the admin I suppose.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm in favour of the principle of what you're trying to do but I'm a bit worried that there are some Admins that quite clearly have a completely different viewpoint on what constitutes "banter" or "humour".

    Id like to think we all know what abuse is. Thats what we are talking about here

  28. #27
    Administrator Vault Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwich
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm in favour of the principle of what you're trying to do but I'm a bit worried that there are some Admins that quite clearly have a completely different viewpoint on what constitutes "banter" or "humour".
    We make decisions together! We wanted to reinforce the site principals in order to ensure we're all pulling in the same direction.

    There's nothing to worry about Keith. 👍

  29. #28
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Osprey Heights
    Posts
    29,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Id like to think we all know what abuse is. Thats what we are talking about here

    I completely back clamping down on abuse.


  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I completely back clamping down on abuse.

    We are in agreement then. Im all for banter and humour too.

  31. #30
    Testimonial Due Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    4,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Id like to think we all know what abuse is. Thats what we are talking about here
    Not really. Are we no longer allowed to describe a player as "brutal" for example. I mean if you genuinely feel that that is an apt description?

    It isn't racist, homophobic, or sexist. Extreme maybe.

    I have seen posters who I would describe as overly sensitive calling for posters to be banned for describing players that way.

    The lines become blurred. People will not post their honest opinion or you'll ban people whose opinions are at the wrong extreme. The site would be poorer for it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)