hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Only Scotland can fk up an Adidas top! Shocking! Is the red a nod to the bad old days when the old SFA board insisted the colours of the national team were Union Jack red, white and blue? The socks were red previously!

2. Log in to remove the advert

All Scotland football tops are bowffin.

Wrong shade of blue with overtone of weegie schemie

Honking. Abit like the team I suppose.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    https://twitter.com/scotlandnt/statu...105543680?s=21

Confirmed to be the new home kit.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    The shorts look they are from a different kit - bit of a mix mash like most of our 5’s rig outs.

Looks cheap (which of course it’s anything but)

Bowfin.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Wont be buying one

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this yet another retro nod?

This time to Mexico ‘86?
    That was my first thought, the Mexico kit, though not as good. Don't like it at all.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    How can you **** up a dark blue top?

Leave it to the SFA.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    This with Adidas stripes right down the sleeves from the neck.

White shorts, red socks. Done. An instant classic.

Red white and blue sleeves?

Get that Team GB nonsense directly tae ****.

Why is there red in a Scotland strip.
    The last time I looked at the saltire it was blue /white.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOD View Post
    That's what I thought, hence I never like red socks in the Scotland strip. Then again, England wear blue shorts; perhaps it's the shared Britishness
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

They've used the same shorts and socks from the current away strip which is why they don't match with the top.

Got to ask yourself who the ... looked at this kit and approved it?
    Last edited by CloudSquall; 11-11-2019 at 03:22 AM.

You ever noticed that creature in the middle of the badge?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    You ever noticed that creature in the middle of the badge?
    Yep, and that isn’t a Saltire, it’s the royal standard.

Only in Scotland can’t the national flag be incorporated into the strip.

The current new strip is horrible.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    £65 for another shirt we won't see at a major tournament.

I'll pass.

First Team Breakthrough Coults1875's Avatar
    Went to the launch night last night (be the first to see the new shirt) and in true SFA fashion they uploaded the new shirt to social media before the actual launch took place

The top itself if actually not bad in person, i wasnt keen on it when i seen the leak above but i ended up buying it last night. Not to worried about the red as we have had red in our kits before but its the navy shorts that i don't understand. They don't even match the top

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Yep, and that isn’t a Saltire, it’s the royal standard.

Only in Scotland can’t the national flag be incorporated into the strip.

The current new strip is horrible.
    Not really true in fairness. Germany, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand,
    Northern Ireland, Australia to name a few all have strips that do not resemble their flags at all.
    There's a lot of other factors that go into a nation's home kit.

Red has been a consistent feature of Scotland home and away kits for years (as has yellow as they both feature in the Lion Rampant) - don't know why everyone is so up in arms that it features on the sleeves?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    That's what I thought, hence I never like red socks in the Scotland strip. Then again, England wear blue shorts; perhaps it's the shared Britishness
    I'll bite...perhaps we should take it further and sing God Save the Queen at the anthems

Does anyone else know of another national anthem worldwide that has a verse saying anything like "crush the rebellious Scots", like God Save the Queen does?
    It seems remarkable, that an anthem could incite the crushing of a group *within* the nation.

Unimaginable that v3 of Flower of Scotland would say "those days are past now, and in the past, they must remain, except for the Fifers, who should be crushed all over again"...

I don't feel the love from GStQ

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    I'll bite...perhaps we should take it further and sing God Save the Queen at the anthems

Does anyone else know of another national anthem worldwide that has a verse saying anything like "crush the rebellious Scots", like God Save the Queen does?
    It seems remarkable, that an anthem could incite the crushing of a group *within* the nation.

Unimaginable that v3 of Flower of Scotland would say "those days are past now, and in the past, they must remain, except for the Fifers, who should be crushed all over again"...

A myth, that verse was never in the anthem. It only appeared in a pamphlet. The equivalent nowadays would be making up a new verse and posting it on Twitter.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post

It actually doesn't.

There was a verse added that included that line, in the late 18th century, but it's not in the current version and it's debatable if it was every in any 'official' version of the song.

However, I am a republican* and would feel queasy singing about an allegiance to our anachronistic monarchy.

* Not in relation to Irish politics, just against any form of monarchy

Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Not really true in fairness. Germany, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand,
    Northern Ireland, Australia to name a few all have strips that do not resemble their flags at all.
    There's a lot of other factors that go into a nation's home kit.

Red has been a consistent feature of Scotland home and away kits for years (as has yellow as they both feature in the Lion Rampant) - don't know why everyone is so up in arms that it features on the sleeves?
    I said that for effect, but the German strip has the eagle on it , which is a well known symbol of imperial Germany, the Italian Strip has the Italian national colours on it's badge and the Dutch Strip traditionally incorporates a rampant lion , which features very strongly on the countries royal coat of arms. Northern Ireland is maybe a bit of a unique case and there is no way the Australian or New Zealand football tops are going to incorporate a Union Jack as part of their badge, are they?

I like the lion rampant badge, but I'm not a fan of red on the Scotland top. Searching on like, the true pedant I am, show that there was no red in the Scotland top for the whole of the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's. There was a red sleeve trim from 96-98 and again during 08-09.

My conclusion is that red has never been a consistent feature of the Scotland home top, only being present for c 4 years out of the past 70. The current top is poor regardless.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I said that for effect, but the German strip has the eagle on it , which is a well known symbol of imperial Germany, the Italian Strip has the Italian national colours on it's badge and the Dutch Strip traditionally incorporates a rampant lion , which features very strongly on the countries royal coat of arms. Northern Ireland is maybe a bit of a unique case and there is no way the Australian or New Zealand football tops are going to incorporate a Union Jack as part of their badge, are they?

I like the lion rampant badge, but I'm not a fan of red on the Scotland top. Searching on like, the true pedant I am, show that there was no red in the Scotland top for the whole of the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's. There was a red sleeve trim from 96-98 and again during 08-09.

My conclusion is that red has never been a consistent feature of the Scotland home top, only being present for c 4 years out of the past 70. The current top is poor regardless.
    Personally I like blue shirt, white shorts, red socks.

Dalglish wore it, Archie Gemmill wore it. It was strip that had us playing great football and qualifying. The new shirt is horrid, but I have no issue with red socks.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Personally I like blue shirt, white shorts, red socks.

Dalglish wore it, Archie Gemmill wore it. It was strip that had us playing great football and qualifying. The new shirt is horrid, but I have no issue with red socks.
    Me neither, for the reasons you mention, but I'm less keen on it featuring on the top.

Your first paragraph only confirms my point that there is more to a team's national kit than their flag (I'm well aware of those countries' traditions you've outlined) and also that Scotland is in fact not a unique case, which you seem to have been suggesting it was - 'only in Scotland does the kit not incorporate our flag'

I never claimed that red was a consistent feature on Scotland tops (it isn't - apart from the badge), I did say that it has regularly featured in Scotland kits throughout the years (shorts, socks included) - which it has almost since inception of the national team. My point was, why are folk so opposed to the colour red now when its been part of our kit for over one hundred years? In fairness, it wasn't your post that was opposed to red, rather JOD's post below...

I think our last two (current one especially) have been the best we’ve had for a long long time so its hard work to keep producing something better every time. I think this effort isn’t actually that bad at all but agree that the sleeves are a bit of a put off. As some have said already it doesn’t seem that long ago since the latest one was released, why change so soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a wee spell 10-15 years ago where we didn’t have reference to the SFA on the badge. Wish we’d go back to that. Imagine forking out £65 for the pleasure of promoting that shower of incompetents. Talk about adding insult to injury!

I used to think international strips that just had the country’s flag as the badge were lame. Turkey’s has convinced me over the years that they aren’t. I’m open to other non-SFA symbols, but I wouldn’t mind us just having the saltire - Pantone 300 saltire though, please.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    There’s been red in plenty home shirts previously. Quick google search......

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    There’s been red in plenty home shirts previously. Quick google search......
    I don’t think so. No more than a handful. Unless you’re counting the badge of course.