hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should we rest players in the Celtic game.

This isn't something I would usually advocate, but the pragmatist in me wonders if it wouldn't be a bad idea. We have our 3 toughest fixtures of the season one after the other and even with our best IX on the park the chances of getting anything at Celtic are slim at best. In view of that I wouldn't be sorry to see us start with players who have been used as subs for most of the season ... this would be my starting team.

Rocky ... just back, so the practice will do him good.

Naismith ... He's a young guy and I presume Gray and James still aren't fit enough .. I'm faster than Whittaker or I would have him at RB

Jackson ... Needs the game time.

McGregor ... If he's fit enough he always does a job for us ... if not then Porteous.

Stevenson ... As usual with left back who else is there? ... a situation Hibs have failed to address for years now.

Slivka ... Hasn't played as many 90 minute games as some.

Murray ... Has bags of energy and he needs a chance to prove he can contribute.

Newell ... If fit .. in his last few appearances he has actually shown he can get about the park.

Mallan ... If its a toss up between him or Allan against the Huns and Yams it will be Allan, so 90 mins at Celtic wont hurt him.

Hallberg ... Still getting up to speed, so the 90 minutes will do him good.

Horgan ... Has a goal in him and needs the game time.

Shaw ... Just so Kamberi and Doidge can get a rest, especially Kamberi who limped off yesterday and boy could he do with 90 minutes even if he doesn't get a sniff at goal.

I haven't quoted Vela because as things stand it looks like the East Mains tea lady has a better chance of getting a game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    No. A hundred times no.

We can beat them, we drew with them under Heckingbottom and we can beat them under Ross.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Nope. Most important game is the next one and it cost me over £30 for a ticket. They’ve got time for a rest in January.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope. Most important game is the next one and it cost me over £30 for a ticket. They’ve got time for a rest in January.
    How do you know that team wont click and we get a result?

id be tempted to rest Kamberi and Boyle

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    id be tempted to rest Kamberi and Boyle
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Why?
    Kamberi was apparently carrying a back injury and an ankle injury as well ... he limped off heavily yesterday.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Kamberi was apparently carrying a back injury and an ankle injury as well ... he limped off heavily yesterday.
    Not so good, we might change the shape at Parkhead?

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    When Kamberi realised he was getting hooked yesterday i thought he manufactured a limp just to eat up more time getting off the park. Hopefully that rather than an injury.
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    When Kamberi realised he was getting hooked yesterday i thought he manufactured a limp just to eat up more time getting off the park. Hopefully that rather than an injury.
    I thought the same

No strongest team

This isn't something I would usually advocate, but the pragmatist in me wonders if it wouldn't be a bad idea. We have our 3 toughest fixtures of the season one after the other and even with our best IX on the park the chances of getting anything at Celtic are slim at best. In view of that I wouldn't be sorry to see us start with players who have been used as subs for most of the season ... this would be my starting team.

Naismith ... He's a young guy and I presume Gray and James still aren't fit enough .. I'm faster than Whittaker or I would have him at RB

McGregor ... If he's fit enough he always does a job for us ... if not then Porteous.

Stevenson ... As usual with left back who else is there? ... a situation Hibs have failed to address for years now.

Newell ... If fit .. in his last few appearances he has actually shown he can get about the park.

Mallan ... If its a toss up between him or Allan against the Huns and Yams it will be Allan, so 90 mins at Celtic wont hurt him.

Shaw ... Just so Kamberi and Doidge can get a rest, especially Kamberi who limped off yesterday and boy could he do with 90 minutes even if he doesn't get a sniff at goal.

I haven't quoted Vela because as things stand it looks like the East Mains tea lady has a better chance of getting a game.
    What planet are you on? We will only catch Sellik and win the league if we play our strongest team😉

@hibs.net private member
    No, we need our best team and to hope Celtc have an off day. They struggled against Hamilton and look honking so far today. If they lose today then that will knock them and we could benefit. Heck got hounded out of ER and one of the reasons was lack of ambition against Celtc. Surely fans don'tr won't us to throw the towel in before the first whistle.
    Last edited by wookie70; 08-12-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    i’d play our strongest team available in all 3 games.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    No. If Celtic play like this we could get a result like we did against Aberdeen. They've been absolutely atrocious today.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    They’ll get a rest in January.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    He goes through some amount of ice I know that, every game he’s taken off he has got an ice pack on some part of his anatomy. I get the feeling he likes to be that guy who everyone asks how he is and if he’ll be ok for the next game. In answer to question though, no resting of players unless someone is genuinely injured and can’t start.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    No thanks, they’re well paid professionals and have a winter break coming up so can just get on with it.

Strongest available team always. Should never have the attitude that our strongest XI don't have a chance of getting something, this isn't Brazil 1970 we're up against.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I don't pay premium prices for tickets for these games to watch the under 20s take the field. Full team every week in the league.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

....even with our best IX.

The first decision I'd make is to field eleven players, not nine.

😉

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Nonsense idea.
    No it isn't ... The idea of not putting out the very strongest team you can is unpalatable and I totally get that. But if we did it we would be far from the first or the last club to play the odds by doing it. Its not like I would be advocating putting out a bunch of kids either, if you check out the team I suggested not a single one of them lacks first team experience .. even Shaw and Murray have been around the first team for a good few seasons now without breaking through, imagine the boost they would get if they managed a result.

Go for the jugular in the hope they're emotionally drained. Nothing to lose, we're expected to anyway

No it isn't ... The idea of not putting out the very strongest team you can is unpalatable and I totally get that. But if we did it we would be far from the first or the last club to play the odds by doing it. Its not like I would be advocating putting out a bunch of kids either, if you check out the team I suggested not a single one of them lacks first team experience .. even Shaw and Murray have been around the first team for a good few seasons now without breaking through, imagine the boost they would get if they managed a result.
    Putting out a weakened team against Celtic at Parkhead and practically give up before the game's even started is a nonsense idea.

If we do that and get hammered by 5 or 6, what does that do for morale?

No we shouldn’t.

8 days between games will ensure the players have energy.

Heard it all now. Hamilton pushed celtic all the way the other night and should have taken something from the game. No reason why we can't at least do the same. What kind of signal does it send out if we rested players. We might as well just all give up.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

might be my bad counting, isn’t this 12 players for your starting team?

great tactic btw, could work against Celtic