hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stevie Mallan

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar

Stevie Mallan

No idea how he continues to get in the squad, he's only useful when he's got a free shot at goal other than that I honestly don't know what he's there for, and he's played every minute so far this season. Must have some serious dirt on somebody.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    The lad doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the box. Certainly hadn't learned how to improve his game by working on defensive aspects, such as tackling.

Been saying it for a months that this guy is not good enough to take us where we want to go. His all round game is far too weak to carry him in the hope he scores a goal, needs punted but I have a feeling the investment in him means we'll make sure we get our moneys worth.

Left by mutual consent!
    He’s a luxury player if we had a decent spine and solid midfield. He’s like Brian Kerr with a decent shot on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No idea how he continues to get in the squad, he's only useful when he's got a free shot at goal other than that I honestly don't know what he's there for, and he's played every minute so far this season. Must have some serious dirt on somebody.
    agreed, but there is no-one else in the squad to replace him. I'd still rather have Mallan than Vela or Newell

We'[ve got he weakest squad and weakest bench in years

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    I think I could forgive him if he looked like he was making an effort in his tackling but most of the time he doesn’t even bother and when he does it’s very half hearted. It drives me mad.

The attributes he has dont add up to a midfielder . He'd be better playing as a striker

His attempt at a tackle to stop their 2nd was disgraceful.

Remember when Lennon came in he spoke of boyband players? He then went and signed Mallan. The epitome of a boyband footballer. When he has time and space he will play 40 yard cross field passes, time and space he will shoot and get it on target. Slightest bit of pressure applied to him and he *****s the bed. Any 50/50 *****s the bed. Im sick of watching him.

Hibs, as a team, are generally weak and soft. Particularly in midfield, and Mallan is a part of that.

Stevie Mallan is what I call a luxury player. A team can maybe include one player like Mallan, as long as there are several hard cases, who definitely can tackle, around about him.

Hibs must address this weakness in the next transfer window, but given the mistakes made in the last window who knows if that will actually happen?

Bizarrely he could not get into the Barnsley team under Heckingbottom
    8 starts 0 goals.
    Perhaps tells us a tale about our squad.

I don't think Mallan is as bad as people say. He makes an effort to show for the ball, looks to make passes and is willing to close players down. None of these can be said about Newall or Vela.

But I don't think we can play both him and Allan in the same team as it leaves us defensively weak. The only way to play both is to have Mallan out wide, where he lacks pace and tends to drift in field.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    He plays well as an attacking mid. He's not got the strength or awareness to be a defensive mid or pivot player.

If Allan is a 60 minute player, Mallan has a major role.

His attempted challenge at their second goal was pathetic. Seeing our second goal back, it was actually a really good ball he played through to Boyle. Those two moments probably sum him up.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    He has never been remotely useful defensively, but he always seems to be played deep in midfield, even under lennon. It makes no sense, his main attributes are shooting/dead balls, I don't really know where he fits in but it's nowhere near the hibs end of the park.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Mallan is really good when played further forward. Lennon and now Heckingbottom are ruining him by trying to play him deeper.

At the end of the day we can only support one of Allan or Mallan in midfield, and it's Allan every time - sorry!

Here we go again.

Mallan is a good player. Technically he is very good for this league, his range of passing allows us to quickly change the dynamic of play and creates 1 v 1 opportunities, unfortunately we don’t have the players to exploit these.

He always shows for the ball, makes these difficult passes, takes the long range shots and set pieces despite getting dogs abuse for the best part of a year.

He’s not going to bomb about making slide tackles but his discipline has improved massively in the defensive midfielder role, something which he had not played before last season.

For whatever reason some of our fans just can’t stand him. If Scott Allan done some of the stuff Mallan did people would be in awe, if Mallan gave possession away as cheaply as Scotty does regularly he would be slated.

We need players in the team that help guys like him and Allan, not ask them to change their game as then we become weak and don’t see the best out of them.

FWIW I always thought he would become very good if he was played similar to how Kris Commons was at Celtic.

He's an absolute liability, I've never taken to him because he jogs about midfield barking orders and moaning yet he never gets stuck in himself.

Guarantee he's like the guy at 5s who blames everyone else and it's never his fault, there's always one...

I just wish he'd confirm if it was Stevie Mallan, Mallon or Mallen then we could all move on

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I just wish he'd confirm if it was Stevie Mallan, Mallon or Mallen then we could all move on
    Is that all it would take for someone to buy him?

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Here we go again.

Mallan is a good player. Technically he is very good for this league, his range of passing allows us to quickly change the dynamic of play and creates 1 v 1 opportunities, unfortunately we don’t have the players to exploit these.

He always shows for the ball, makes these difficult passes, takes the long range shots and set pieces despite getting dogs abuse for the best part of a year.

He’s not going to bomb about making slide tackles but his discipline has improved massively in the defensive midfielder role, something which he had not played before last season.

For whatever reason some of our fans just can’t stand him. If Scott Allan done some of the stuff Mallan did people would be in awe, if Mallan gave possession away as cheaply as Scotty does regularly he would be slated.

We need players in the team that help guys like him and Allan, not ask them to change their game as then we become weak and don’t see the best out of them.

FWIW I always thought he would become very good if he was played similar to how Kris Commons was at Celtic.
    This

IMO Mallan spends far too much time, pointing telling teammates where they should pass the ball while shirking away from it himself, he regularly prefers to pass sideways and backwards or take a short easy pass - he relinquishes responsibility far too often by doing so. When he has the ball he should do something with it (as AE used to say a while back!). His defensive work is a liability.

He is however undoubtedly talented; he can strike a ball when he has an opportunity, and he sometimes makes a decent, telling pass or cross as was the case last night - but it is NOT ENOUGH overall.

@hibs.net private member
    I like him more than most on here and most of the problems stems from him playing too deep. He was terrible last night though. He defends much better than Allan but now Scottie has added goals I would drop Mallan and have Allan as our luxury player or one of our luxury players as Horgan, Newell and Middleton all fit into that but play wider so not naturally competing.

Here we go again.

I agree with this and when he's had fleeting appearances in this position he has looked good.

Mallan has been an ever-present in a team that was excellent before he arrived and has been garbage since he arrived. Our downfall coincides with his arrival. Nobody can deny he has attributes but we have failed miserably to find a role for him that allows us to see enough of his attributes without exposing his weaknesses.

I think he is as poor a player in the deeper roles he is regularly chosen to play as I have ever seen play for Hibs, ever, yet he continues to be selected.

The man who has the balls to drop this guy will be the guy who turns around our fortunes.

Unfortunately the alternatives aren't entirely dissimilar to him.

It's Allan or Mallan and for me Allan is the better player. I wouldn't howl with derision if they were to share the role (Mallan coming on later in games) as I reckon Mallan could do a decent job of it.

We have to stop trying to accommodate Mallan in positions he is totally unsuited for. He is far too slow and weak defensively for the modern game to play deep and he needs a team built around him to make up for his serious deficiencies as a player.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I was doing my nut in at him being a total coward and pulling out of 50 50s and tiptoeing around the pitch. Had the Livi player not missed an open goal after rounding Maxwell we’d be talking about how it was his mistake which killed the game off. Great left leg but never, ever good enough for where Hibs should be.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

You’re twisting my Mallan man, caaaaall the cops.

Here we go again.

100% agree
    Was saying similar after the game last night, for all his passes that don't come off he always try's to win it back, he never hides. He's a good player but some folk just dont like him

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Here we go again.

Great post and the part in bold is so accurate. There are fans who seriously cant wait to abuse him with a weird vitriolic rage for something that Allan or Porteous wouldnt.

Really strange how some fans like to pick on players at the games like primary school bullies.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    scores too many important goals for us, no one likes a goalscorer

get rid

rank last night though unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I was doing my nut in at him being a total coward and pulling out of 50 50s and tiptoeing around the pitch. Had the Livi player not missed an open goal after rounding Maxwell we’d be talking about how it was his mistake which killed the game off. Great left leg but never, ever good enough for where Hibs should be.
    Off course Mallan was culpable for the pass back but watch it back and you can see Porto's part in that. He got away with one but if we had been beaten last night it wasn't just down to him and that pass back.

In a weird way maybe Malan is to thank for us getting the draw, if he hadn't made the pass back and made another decision then from there on every other aspect of the game changes

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    People dont shout at Porto though because hes not a target for the bullies.

He made a howler in the first half that could have led to a goal.....not one grown from the crowd towards him.