hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omeonga

Left by mutual consent!

Omeonga

Hasn’t started a game for Cercle Brugge since 24th August, been named on the bench 5 times since then making only 1 sub appearance for 10 minutes in a 6-0 defeat. Hasn’t been involved in the squad at all for their last 2 games.

Not looking good for Stephane, struggling to get game time for a team rock bottom of the Belgian league with 4 points from 13 games.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Hopefully one of our new gaffers first signings 🤞
    Quality player ,sorely missed .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would take him back over what we have got in a heartbeat

Maybe makes a return to Easter road at some point more likely? Here's hoping...

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Ironically he might actually be able to play the mythical high pressing game we were led to believe was the manager's preference..

Good player but I think that ship's sailed.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Makes me weep when compaing the energy and drive of Omeonga versus the likes of Vela and Newell.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    He'll come back to Genoa and then go to some Dutch team with 2,000 attendances or something but three times the budget we have.

SO gave us energy, work rate and a great attitude, loved by the fans for these reasons and rightly so, incredible that the current incumbents thought Vela was a better option.

GGTTH

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergos View Post
    SO have us energy work rate and a great attitude, loved by the fans for these reasons and rightly so, incredible that the current incumbents thought Vela was a better option.

GGTTH
    Incredible that you think that they did. They tried to keep Omeonga.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    SO gave us energy, work rate and a great attitude, loved by the fans for these reasons and rightly so, incredible that the current incumbents thought Vela was a better option.

GGTTH
    It was reported numerous times over the summer we were trying to get him back.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    It was reported numerous times over the summer we were trying to get him back.
    I could be wrong or memory fail but i seem to recall when PH was asked about SO returning he quoted the lack of budget, having spent it on what he has. Which isn’t good enough, hence where we are.

SO should have been a priority having had a positive impact previously. PH signings have been in no way good enough.

GGTTH

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!

GGTTH
    Agree, he was a brilliant player for us.

It was widely reported that they tried to bring both Omeonga & McNulty back to the club but just couldn’t afford them

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Incredible that you think that they did. They tried to keep Omeonga.
    You may have better info than me but my take on it was as replied above, could be wrong, just how I recall it.

The crux of our issues revolve around the quality and attitude of our players. These were never doubted with SO.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post

It was widely reported that they tried to bring both Omeonga & McNulty back to the club but just couldn’t afford them
    I'm pretty sure that Omeonga would have generated a sell on return for the club on any investment. If the Mcginn money was ever to be spent on anyone Omeonga would've been as close to a direct replacement as we could've managed. What's wrong with a bit of speculate to accumulate. But no, we no doubt blew the budget on signing on fees, wages for duds from the lower leagues in England with a re-sale value of sweet FA.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Omeonga would have generated a sell on return for the club on any investment. If the Mcginn money was ever to be spent on anyone Omeonga would've been as close to a direct replacement as we could've managed. What's wrong with a bit of speculate to accumulate. But no, we no doubt blew the budget on signing on fees, wages for duds from the lower leagues in England with a re-sale value of sweet FA.
    How much would Genoa have wanted for him? What sort of wage is he on there and could we have come close to matching it?

It's easy to speculate but without knowing the hard facts it's difficult to draw a valid conclusion.

He has to be a priority target if there is any chance genoa will get rid.
    I think it was a pure disaster we let cercle beat us to at least getting him back on loan.

Maybe now some of the sjm money will be put to good use by bringing in wee steph permanently.

Absolutely fits the hibs mould.

Testimonial Due
    How much would Genoa have wanted for him? What sort of wage is he on there and could we have come close to matching it?

It's easy to speculate but without knowing the hard facts it's difficult to draw a valid conclusion.
    Genoa's average wage about £17k a week. Even if he was well below average he would have been way out if our range.

@hibs.net private member

Very true - we were all whinging in unison on another thread about the rumour that 4 of our new signings account for 25K/week of the budget. SO could be on 10K/week by himself at Genoa for all we know. McNulty is Probably on that sort of cash at whatever English backwater he's playing at.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Very true - we were all whinging in unison on another thread about the rumour that 4 of our new signings account for 25K/week of the budget. SO could be on 10K/week by himself at Genoa for all we know. McNulty is Probably on that sort of cash at whatever English backwater he's playing at.

Didn’t LD say that Omeonga + McNulty would have cost Hibs a total of £5m over a three year term?

I can only assume this included a hefty transfer fee for both players and big wages.

Mind you, PH doesn’t know what a good Hibs player looks like so I can well believe he didn’t rate either of them. Footballers (especially young ambitious players) will sometimes accept lower wages to work for a manager who believes in them and will help develop their career.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I think the whinging about those players is more due to what we are actually getting in return for that money. IMO the top players at team should get the top money and if they are performing then I'm pretty sure the "lesser" players in a team will understand it. When these high earners are pish that's when the trouble starts. I'd love to have seen Omeonga back and he's certainly worth more than the supposed wages any of the four new signings are on. In saying that I wouldn't be paying him £10k pw.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    You may have better info than me but my take on it was as replied above, could be wrong, just how I recall it.

The crux of our issues revolve around the quality and attitude of our players. These were never doubted with SO.

GGTTH
    Hibs tried their best to get him, but were blown out of the water financially.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...-brugge-543826
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post

During one of the HSL meetings Leeann said that keeping Omeonga and McNulty would have cost us £5m and that was simply unaffordable

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Hasn’t started a game for Cercle Brugge since 24th August, been named on the bench 5 times since then making only 1 sub appearance for 10 minutes in a 6-0 defeat. Hasn’t been involved in the squad at all for their last 2 games.

Not looking good for Stephane, struggling to get game time for a team rock bottom of the Belgian league with 4 points from 13 games.
    Should be top of the list of any signings skill and energy in midfield just what we need.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    100%

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by banchoryhibs View Post
    During one of the HSL meetings Leeann said that keeping Omeonga and McNulty would have cost us £5m and that was simply unaffordable
    Yes £1 million each in transfers and £10k a week for three years is about £5 mill.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Yes £1 million each in transfers and £10k a week for three years is about £5 mill.
    Neither is/was worth a £1m transfer.

I never thought Omeonga was as great a football player as some others seemed to think.

However he had bags of enthusiasm, drive, determination and he worked his socks off for the team. That would be a massive set of attributes in the current side.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I never thought Omeonga was as great a football player as some others seemed to think.

However he had bags of enthusiasm, drive, determination and he worked his socks off for the team. That would be a massive set of attributes in the current side.
    This is sort of where I’m at with him. On the ball he was often slack in possession and I’m not sure where his best position is.

With Allan playing behind the striker where would he play? As a centre mid he’s perhaps a bit lightweight and never got used there with us really. Often played on the left which I don’t think is a solution long term.

Seems to a recurring theme on here. A player running about like an overdosed Duracell bunny is regarded as a great player, irrespective of his actual technical ability.

He'd hardly be the answer when faced with teams sitting in and asking to be opened up with a bit of quality.

Infectious wee guy with the heart of a lion. Sadly I don’t think we’re ever likely to see him in the green and white again.