hibs.net Messageboard

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Results 1,231 to 1,241 of 1241
  1. #1231
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    14,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about all the other advantages a child may have? I left school at 15 and Mrs Ozyhibby at 16. Are my children coming home to the same learning environment as a kid going home to parents who are lawyers and doctors? I have long since been unable to help my eldest with his maths homework because hes now beyond the level I got to. Should I just accept my kid will get lower scores than another kid whos mum teaches math and can help with his homework?
    There is no such thing as a level playing field, not even within the state sector. Why are semi detached houses in Buckstone more expensive than bigger bungalows the other side of Comiston road? Because Buckstone is in the Boroughmuir catchment and the other side of the road is Firhill.
    Is getting a tutor in to help your kid at exam time increasing inequality? Not everyone can afford that after all but more than half the kids out there are getting one.
    Getting rid of private school would increase the cost of state education and we would all be poorer for it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As I said I completely understand that people will want to give their kids the best chance in life. I wont be sending my daughter to a private school for the reasons I stated earlier.

    United we stand here....


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #1232
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about all the other advantages a child may have? I left school at 15 and Mrs Ozyhibby at 16. Are my children coming home to the same learning environment as a kid going home to parents who are lawyers and doctors? I have long since been unable to help my eldest with his maths homework because hes now beyond the level I got to. Should I just accept my kid will get lower scores than another kid whos mum teaches math and can help with his homework?
    There is no such thing as a level playing field, not even within the state sector. Why are semi detached houses in Buckstone more expensive than bigger bungalows the other side of Comiston road? Because Buckstone is in the Boroughmuir catchment and the other side of the road is Firhill.
    Is getting a tutor in to help your kid at exam time increasing inequality? Not everyone can afford that after all but more than half the kids out there are getting one.
    Getting rid of private school would increase the cost of state education and we would all be poorer for it.
    Very well put, though it would be a shame if your desire to do the best for your children drove you into voting for a party who don't appear to give a toss about state education, or a party willing to enable them.

  4. #1233
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    13,277
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, I think that's right, although like most people I only understand this a little and find the bits I do know mind boggling! We *have* been printing a load of money over the last decade (quantitative easing).

    btw, I can recomment this as a readable intro to this kind of stuff. It also covers a lot of the "why" we've ended up with the mechanisms we have, as much as it does the "how" they work.

    Varoufakis is a brilliant man (is it three Ph D's he has?) but of course he's way outside the mainstream of the neoliberal consensus which now dominates the global economy. The economics departments of the universities are filled with trickledown economists, sponsored by the multinational corporations who donate to faculties, such as the Chicago School. Their view of the world has become the accepted version, with academics like Varoufakis regarded as eccentrics. Richard Wolfe is well worth watching on You Tube: an American economics professor who is a Marxist! Not many of them around
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  5. #1234
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    11,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As someone who voted No in the independence referendum, should the Tories win a majority next month, I will be demanding independence the next day. Enough is enough; if people refuse to help themselves, at some point you have to say they are on their own.
    If you are a person who believes Britain is a single country and not a union of countries then those figures are a 'so what?' situation. If the UK votes in a hard right Tory government or any Tory government for that matter then so be it .. thats what the UK wants and as a region of that state we have to accept it.

    If like me you believe that UK is made up of 4 countries all of whom retain the right to remove themselves from that union if the people of those countries think its the right thing to do then those figures are extremely depressing and should be pushing people towards thinking the way you are.

    For decades now Scotland has practically never got the government it has voted for ... even the Labour government we did get was elected by appealing to the Tory vote in England rather than by pushing the socialist policies Scottish voters had always understood Labour to stand for. We are now in a position where the north of England, which was the powerhouse of Labour in any general election, is not only swinging towards Conservatism but hard right Conservatism at that ... in the guise of a Tory party which has stolen the clothes of the Brexit party and delights in appealing to the most base emotions of the proletariat.

    In the current situation far from Scotland getting what it constantly votes for politically we are further away from it than we have ever been ... how can any part of the world claiming to be a 'country' tolerate such a state of affairs I just dont understand it.

  6. #1235
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about all the other advantages a child may have? I left school at 15 and Mrs Ozyhibby at 16. Are my children coming home to the same learning environment as a kid going home to parents who are lawyers and doctors? I have long since been unable to help my eldest with his maths homework because hes now beyond the level I got to. Should I just accept my kid will get lower scores than another kid whos mum teaches math and can help with his homework?
    There is no such thing as a level playing field, not even within the state sector. Why are semi detached houses in Buckstone more expensive than bigger bungalows the other side of Comiston road? Because Buckstone is in the Boroughmuir catchment and the other side of the road is Firhill.
    Is getting a tutor in to help your kid at exam time increasing inequality? Not everyone can afford that after all but more than half the kids out there are getting one.
    Getting rid of private school would increase the cost of state education and we would all be poorer for it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A good post which illustrates much of what sticks in the craw about Corbyn and his cohorts. As you rightly illustrate, everyone's individual circumstances are different yet a totalitarian like Corbyn is utterly disinterested in the lives of individuals. He cares only about factions and classes.

  7. #1236
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    13,277
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are a person who believes Britain is a single country and not a union of countries then those figures are a 'so what?' situation. If the UK votes in a hard right Tory government or any Tory government for that matter then so be it .. thats what the UK wants and as a region of that state we have to accept it.

    If like me you believe that UK is made up of 4 countries all of whom retain the right to remove themselves from that union if the people of those countries think its the right thing to do then those figures are extremely depressing and should be pushing people towards thinking the way you are.

    For decades now Scotland has practically never got the government it has voted for ... even the Labour government we did get was elected by appealing to the Tory vote in England rather than by pushing the socialist policies Scottish voters had always understood Labour to stand for. We are now in a position where the north of England, which was the powerhouse of Labour in any general election, is not only swinging towards Conservatism but hard right Conservatism at that ... in the guise of a Tory party which has stolen the clothes of the Brexit party and delights in appealing to the most base emotions of the proletariat.

    In the current situation far from Scotland getting what it constantly votes for politically we are further away from it than we have ever been ... how can any part of the world claiming to be a 'country' tolerate such a state of affairs I just dont understand it.
    Yes, I think a Boris Johnson majority and the subsequent hard Brexit could be the end of the UK in its current guise. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it tipped the balance towards independence, due to the democratic deficit you mention. Not getting governments we vote for is problem enough, but add Brexit and the prospect of another five years of Tory government, and I think it might be too much for most in Scotland. To be honest, Brexit had already changed my mind on independence; a Tory majority would be the final nail in the coffin. The disconnect between England and Scotland seems to be unbridgeable now. We shall see, but I think Brexit was a game changer.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  8. #1237
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are a person who believes Britain is a single country and not a union of countries then those figures are a 'so what?' situation. If the UK votes in a hard right Tory government or any Tory government for that matter then so be it .. thats what the UK wants and as a region of that state we have to accept it.

    If like me you believe that UK is made up of 4 countries all of whom retain the right to remove themselves from that union if the people of those countries think its the right thing to do then those figures are extremely depressing and should be pushing people towards thinking the way you are.

    For decades now Scotland has practically never got the government it has voted for ... even the Labour government we did get was elected by appealing to the Tory vote in England rather than by pushing the socialist policies Scottish voters had always understood Labour to stand for. We are now in a position where the north of England, which was the powerhouse of Labour in any general election, is not only swinging towards Conservatism but hard right Conservatism at that ... in the guise of a Tory party which has stolen the clothes of the Brexit party and delights in appealing to the most base emotions of the proletariat.

    In the current situation far from Scotland getting what it constantly votes for politically we are further away from it than we have ever been ... how can any part of the world claiming to be a 'country' tolerate such a state of affairs I just dont understand it.
    We got devolution. We didn't get indepedence. Both in accordance with what we voted for. As you point out, when it comes to general elections (or Brexit) we vote as one nation so we get what the nation voted for as a whole. I don't have a problem with that, particularly as thanks to a heavily devolved parliament much of our legislation is governed by Holyrood. Personally I think the balance is about right, but that's just my view.

  9. #1238
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We got devolution. We didn't get indepedence. Both in accordance with what we voted for. As you point out, when it comes to general elections (or Brexit) we vote as one nation so we get what the nation voted for as a whole. I don't have a problem with that, particularly as thanks to a heavily devolved parliament much of our legislation is governed by Holyrood. Personally I think the balance is about right, but that's just my view.
    It's funny actually that if you follow the Scottish Attitudes Survey thing that Prof Curtice's mob do every so often then consistently the most popular option for Scotland has been devo-max, ie. everything other than defence, foreign affairs and monetary policy resting at Holyrood. However, no party has ever put it forward. Salmond and some of the SNP wanted it on the 2014 ballot as a second prize but they didn't want to own it.

    It's funny to think how we might have ended up if it had been properly fleshed out and voted on a decade ago.

  10. #1239
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    17,625
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's funny actually that if you follow the Scottish Attitudes Survey thing that Prof Curtice's mob do every so often then consistently the most popular option for Scotland has been devo-max, ie. everything other than defence, foreign affairs and monetary policy resting at Holyrood. However, no party has ever put it forward. Salmond and some of the SNP wanted it on the 2014 ballot as a second prize but they didn't want to own it.

    It's funny to think how we might have ended up if it had been properly fleshed out and voted on a decade ago.
    Im pro independence but could easily live with proper devo max. All taxes collected in Scotland and the money paid towards the shared services we have with rUK.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #1240
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im pro independence but could easily live with proper devo max. All taxes collected in Scotland and the money paid towards the shared services we have with rUK.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With everybody in the EU I could live with it as a compromise notwithstanding that I think Trident is the ultimate colossal waste of money. Everybody in the EU is a fading prospect though.

  12. #1241
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,093
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's funny actually that if you follow the Scottish Attitudes Survey thing that Prof Curtice's mob do every so often then consistently the most popular option for Scotland has been devo-max, ie. everything other than defence, foreign affairs and monetary policy resting at Holyrood. However, no party has ever put it forward. Salmond and some of the SNP wanted it on the 2014 ballot as a second prize but they didn't want to own it.

    It's funny to think how we might have ended up if it had been properly fleshed out and voted on a decade ago.
    How does that differ from what we have?

    I thought we had everything apart from immigration, foreign policy and fiscal autonomy already?

    Obviously Brexit threatens to send some of the European stuff back to Westminster.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved