hibs.net Messageboard

Page 66 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 3270
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Is this still a General Election thread?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So Iím a bigot now? Weird comment.

Iím making a call that this dude knew full well what he was saying and how it could, and was, construed. Simple as that.

If that makes me prejudiced and bigoted in your mind then so be it. Itís interesting though that you moved from trying to defend what and how he said something to an ad hominem on me but hey that probably just my prejudiced view ;-)
    What's interesting is how quickly you developed this into a personal squabble, and in quite a vitriolic manner too.

I wasn't actually defending what he said, I was commenting on how difficult it is to discuss it.

Frankly, I don't know who you are, and I don't care either. When your argument falls back on judging people on what their party is perceived to have done in the past, you might as well say "they're all the same, what else do you exoect?"

That's prejudiced and bigoted.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Regrettably anti semitism has been a bit of an issue throughout the election.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/1030742/anti-racism-groups-and-party-officials-urge-scottish-labour-to-suspend-dundee-west-candidate-jim-malone/

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    I didn't even know Soros was Jewish until yesterday. To say people only criticise him because he is Jewish is wrong.

It is as wrong as people saying the only reason people defend him is because he is Jewish.
    Aiui, the SNP guy was binned for retweeting a propaganda cartoon of Soros as "Jewish puppet master". As said above, a trope used by anti-semites for a long time.

Imagine if someone on here posted a cartoon of Uche Ikpeazu mocked up as a golliwog. Would you say that criticism of such a posting suggested you can't call Uche a big huddy because he's black?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    There is no evidence out there that George Soros is controlling world affairs though, is there? The only thing that is different between Soros and other billionaires is that he has given most of his money away and he is Jewish.
    I'm no expert, but I do know that Soros primarily made his billions through manipulation of financial markets. His wealth came at the expense of others. If one were to believe in a "puppet master" figure, he's a reasonable candidate irrespective of his faith.

He's also been criticised by other Jews. Are they anti-Semitic?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    What's interesting is how quickly you developed this into a personal squabble, and in quite a vitriolic manner too.

I wasn't actually defending what he said, I was commenting on how difficult it is to discuss it.

Frankly, I don't know who you are, and I don't care either. When your argument falls back on judging people on what their party is perceived to have done in the past, you might as well say "they're all the same, what else do you exoect?"

That's prejudiced and bigoted.
    Aha OK so youíve managed to call me prejudiced, a bigot and now vitriolic yet itís me thatís turned it personal. Got ya.

But anyway letís just leave this here as Iím sure we both have better things to spend our day on.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Aiui, the SNP guy was binned for retweeting a propaganda cartoon of Soros as "Jewish puppet master". As said above, a trope used by anti-semites for a long time.

Imagine if someone on here posted a cartoon of Uche Ikpeazu mocked up as a golliwog. Would you say that criticism of such a posting suggested you can't call Uche a big huddy because he's black?
    There is no doubt about the link between Golliwogs and racism. I hadn't been aware that the puppet master was an exclusively anti Jewish motif.

I've got no axe to grind with Soros, I don't really know who he is.

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I'm no expert, but I do know that Soros primarily made his billions through manipulation of financial markets. His wealth came at the expense of others. If one were to believe in a "puppet master" figure, he's a reasonable candidate irrespective of his faith.

He's also been criticised by other Jews. Are they anti-Semitic?
    He made his wealth through investing in financial markets. Manipulating them is illegal. And at the expense of others? There has to be two people in a trade and they both have to be happy for it to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough The Tubs's Avatar
    I actually respect Soros. By bringing down the bank of England he eventually helped bring down a tory government. He campaigns for liberty against tyranny. And all of this with a degree in philosophy.

He might be stinking rich but he got there using his intelligence, unlike many others. He's probably been involved in some shady stuff I don't know about, however.

He made his wealth through investing in financial markets. Manipulating them is illegal. And at the expense of others? There has to be two people in a trade and they both have to be happy for it to happen.
    Manipulating financial markets isn't illegal; it's what skilful speculators do.

You are, of course, correct that there has to be at least two parties to a trade, but when one of them is essentially a government and it takes a consequent financial hit, a lot of people suffer as a result.

To be clear, I think that the vast majority of the negatives written about Soros are made up nonsense, but that doesn't mean I can't understand why people may be suspicious and/or critical of him. And it certainly doesn't mean that people shouldn't be able to be critical of him out of fear of being accused of anti-Semitism.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    . And it certainly doesn't mean that people shouldn't be able to be critical of him out of fear of being accused of anti-Semitism.
    I wish I'd been able to say it like that. It appears that the guy was suspended for anti Semitic propaganda, but we should still be careful before we tar people, or entire parties as anti Semitic.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Polls just not closing quickly enough. Canít see anything other than a Tory majority now.
    All about what happens in Scotland now for me.

It's looking that way. That poll makes for depressing reading. I do think another five years of the Tories and Johnson, with their hard Brexit, will facilitate another independence referendum within a couple of years. Next time I will vote Yes and leave England to their fate. If they want a hard right society, good luck to them.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Ofcom rejects Tories' complaint that Channel 4 broke election rules by placing an ice sculpture on the podium intended for Boris Johnson during last week's climate debate

https://t.co/pbpa9pGfI8 https://t.co/gpV2apFfW2
    They tried to bury us, they didn't realise we were seeds.

@hibs.net private member Diclonius's Avatar
    All of these opinion polls are massive underestimating the youth vote. If people my age actually bother their arse and get out and vote, we can force a hung parliament.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    All of these opinion polls are massive underestimating the youth vote. If people my age actually bother their arse and get out and vote, we can force a hung parliament.
    Yes, and registering to vote, especially students, is vital.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Thatís why they are not underestimating it. They wonít vote.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Maybe you could ask Hanvey that given he has apologised for spreading anti-semitism. Or Nicola Sturgeon who stated yesterday that his suspension was entirely down to anti-Semitism. The argument you are offering here is basically the same as the one used by people trying to defend golliwogs as not being racist.
    Sorry, I didn't see this last night.

I didn't realise they were meant to be Jews until it was pointed out. In retrospect, I wonder how I could have missed what are stereotypical representations of Jews, and I think it's because I was much more interested in the people under the table than sitting at it.

I didn't look too closely, and at a first glance I just saw rich old men. I saw them as a cabal, admittedly, but just didn't think hard enough about the fact that most of them do look Jewish.

I accept that, as the artist has apologised for anti Semitism, that the mural is wrong. The same thing goes for defending Hanvey. - which I don't think I ever was, I was trying to say how difficult it is to criticise some people without being accused of being a bigot, a bit more diversity and that picture would have been spot on.
    Last edited by Cataplana; 03-12-2019 at 03:41 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Does this thread not reflect politics and the general election quite well? Various tangents and debates about anything and everything apart from the real issues of government.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Does this thread not reflect politics and the general election quite well? Various tangents and debates about anything and everything apart from the real issues of government.
    Anti semitism has been an issue in this election but I doubt it moves many votes at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

He hasn't been binned. This is on twitter

Email from local SNP rep regarding Neale Hanvey.
    Briefly:
    1. Nealeís SNP membership is only suspended, and he has not been expelled. The normal disciplinary process will apply. Accordingly, it is entirely possible that his suspension will be lifted at the end of the process. 1/6

Take a look at YES 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 (@Edinburgh51): https://twitter.com/Edinburgh51?s=09
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 03-12-2019 at 04:40 PM.

On twitter

Rennie with his unionist contemptuous attitude towards Scotland,explains why Scotland should be an independent country & why you should #VoteSNP not LibDumbs🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

The better together campaign of all unionist parties said we would be equal partners😂doesnít sound like it https://t.co/Bi5WLp6i9L

Anti semitism has been an issue in this election but I doubt it moves many votes at all.
    I agree. I'd go so far as to say the media obsession with it is likely to reduce the likelihood of any movement of votes.

Just watched the Brexit party political broadcast, farage is a complete erse, dunno if you had it in Scotland but he was pushing his Mr Toad looking mofo lies and propaganda to the max. Blaming EU for shutting down industry in UK walking through a derelict factory. Alright when the institute he abhors will keep him, his German wife and kids in pension payments for his later years not to mention the wages has already pocketed. Job done! Sad thing is so many people will see this and believe what he has said. Angriest I have felt this campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Just watched the Brexit party political broadcast, farage is a complete erse, dunno if you had it in Scotland but he was pushing his Mr Toad looking mofo lies and propaganda to the max. Blaming EU for shutting down industry in UK walking through a derelict factory. Alright when the institute he abhors will keep him, his German wife and kids in pension payments for his later years not to mention the wages has already pocketed. Job done! Sad thing is so many people will see this and believe what he has said. Angriest I have felt this campaign.
    Did anyone see the UKIP launch!! Barking mad!!

They ditched leader, Dick Braine, for Pat Mountain! I thought that was the milkman in Father Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Did anyone see the UKIP launch!! Barking mad!!

They ditched leader, Dick Braine, for Pat Mountain! I thought that was the milkman in Father Ted.
    Apparently they made her out of a mole hill

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's hoping.

Difficult when up against this level of ignorance:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1201816755829641218?s=19

Stv Debate: Bit of a mess.
    The only clear thing I'm seeing is that Rennie is a walloper.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Stv Debate: Bit of a mess.
    The only clear thing I'm seeing is that Rennie is a walloper.
    Aye, knew it would be. They shouldn't have them questioning each other, it just ends up a rabble.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    willie rennie has been a total e rse in this STV debate, a total e rse with everyone

as much as i despise carlaw it was embarrassing listening to rennie go on and on and on at him regarding bawjawz johnson

are you not ashamed
    that's terrible
    you should be ashamed
    are you not ashamed
    dearie me
    are you not ashamed

nicola sturgeon at one question simply asked him to be the stand up straight guy that he claims he is....cue rennie saying out of shot 'no need to be insulting'
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 03-12-2019 at 08:57 PM.