hibs.net Messageboard

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,141 to 1,149 of 1149
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andrew Neil: Liz Truss, how many starter homes have you built since your manifesto commitment five years ago?
    Truss: I can't remember the figure.
    Andrew Neil: It should be an easy figure to remember, because it is zero.

And they will still win.
    Accountability doesn't seem to matter any longer, and the election manifestos are never mentioned again after the election. News changes so fast nowadays that things promised five years ago might as well have been said a century ago. Short term sensationalism dominates.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    This is a great thread. Genuinely.

I don't venture much on to the Holy Ground these days but this thread has been worth it.

The toxic mix of an electorate, political leaders, political parties and a media that are all not fit for purpose means that currently every democratic event is largely a car crash of uninformed bad decision making.

I blame social media - everybody is in their own echo chamber reinforcing their own prejudice and mainlining on confirmation bias.

We have a political class north and south of the border that has given up on seeking to inform and illuminate discussion - the You Tube video up the thread of Benn and Jenkins debating underlines that. Instead all the politicians just hold up mirrors to the electorate with the sole ambition of reflecting back to them the bits of their images that make them most angry, scared or insecure to try to coralle votes on that basis. And it's all so depressingly short-term and spin-led.

The loss of consensus and the emphasis on black and white extremes is so profound that it seems irrecoverable. Maybe that's just what you have in a world where consumers can have whatever they want, in whatever shape, size or colour they want and they can have it right away. Everything is about me and personalised to the me. Not much room for objectivity in a subjectivity world.

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Just seen Labours tax proposals. Im afraid there is enough pain in there for me to say **** them, Id rather have brexit. I was going to vote SNP but will need to consider that if there is a chance they prop up Corbyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This is a great thread. Genuinely.

I don't venture much on to the Holy Ground these days but this thread has been worth it.

The toxic mix of an electorate, political leaders, political parties and a media that are all not fit for purpose means that currently every democratic event is largely a car crash of uninformed bad decision making.

I blame social media - everybody is in their own echo chamber reinforcing their own prejudice and mainlining on confirmation bias.

We have a political class north and south of the border that has given up on seeking to inform and illuminate discussion - the You Tube video up the thread of Benn and Jenkins debating underlines that. Instead all the politicians just hold up mirrors to the electorate with the sole ambition of reflecting back to them the bits of their images that make them most angry, scared or insecure to try to coralle votes on that basis. And it's all so depressingly short-term and spin-led.

The loss of consensus and the emphasis on black and white extremes is so profound that it seems irrecoverable. Maybe that's just what you have in a world where consumers can have whatever they want, in whatever shape, size or colour they want and they can have it right away. Everything is about me and personalised to the me. Not much room for objectivity in a subjectivity world.
    I think you make several good points, particularly in relation to social media and its impact upon proper debate; also our modern world of people being consumers more than citizens. That's four decades of neoliberalism at work!
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    All excellent proposals, which again will benefit the majority.
    Who will vote against it

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Who will vote against it
    I'm not so sure.

Free money or "get Brexit done"?

Boris runs the risk of his Brexit only message losing impact.

If the Labour Party can maintain any sort of credibility then they might surprise folk.

Might.

Probably won't.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Just seen Labours tax proposals. Im afraid there is enough pain in there for me to say **** them, Id rather have brexit. I was going to vote SNP but will need to consider that if there is a chance they prop up Corbyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Enough pain in there?

Who will vote against it
    Thatcher's children are not the sharpest tools in the box.

Coaching Staff
    Enough pain in there?
    The top 5% of earners will pay more tax. That's anyone earning over 70,000.