hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87

Your in my seat...

Just read this article, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50187528 and it does raise the question - What can you do if someone refuses to move from a seat you have reserved?

Thankfully I have never had this issue, or if I have the person has moved. I have sat in a seat I know was reserved from a certain station and been ready to move if they get on (sometimes you get lucky and they dont show). But It got me thinking what would I do if someone refused? and I guess, like these elderly entitled ********s presumed, there is nothing anyone can do. If it escalated to a violent encounter then the BTP would be called and board at the next stop. But what would they do? My guess is either both parties would be removed or the person (most likely the person who has reserved the seat and resorted to physically trying to remove or even punched someone) would be removed/arrested. So whos been faced with this situation, and what did you do/how was it resolved?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    This happened to me several times when travelling alone, I tend to weigh up the situation, if there are other non reserved seats close by for instance and it’s an elderly couple or someone who has lots of luggage crammed in with them I tend to just sit somewhere else. If there are no other seats close by and the person looks less able to stand or trek through the train than I am then I again I tend to leave them.
    On the occasions when it has been someone outside those categories with no other obvious seats available I have asked them to move. Only once was I told to bolt by a rather stroppy stuck up female, the Virgin train manager soon moved her for me 😁

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    On the face of it It looks like selfish behaviour not to move for someone who has booked a seat.

It’s the times, like at an empty cinema, where people ask you to move from their specific seats, when they have free reign to sit anywhere and lots of equivalent views. What’s that all about?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    My partner suffers from all sorts of bits and pieces - fibromyalgia, issues with her achilles etc. etc. etc. and it's really vital for her to be able to get a seat as if it's a bad day for her she can be aching. She does 5ks and 10ks when she can but it's not always easy.

The amount of times that you get a member of the "boomer" generation who are quite rude about this sort of thing is incredible. Even if there are other seats around that are available it's become something of a point worth making.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the face of it It looks like selfish behaviour not to move for someone who has booked a seat.

It’s the times, like at an empty cinema, where people ask you to move from their specific seats, when they have free reign to sit anywhere and lots of equivalent views. What’s that all about?
    If there’s loads of other seats with equivalent views, why would you not just sit in one of them rather than ones that people have reserved?

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    If there’s loads of other seats with equivalent views, why would you not just sit in one of them rather than ones that people have reserved?
    By mistake. However there’s been more times it’s been folk in my seat. I just sat in the same seats the row behind/in front, don’t see the point in moving them. If the cinema was busy, then fair enough.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar

How do you know you wouldnt end up sitting in someone else's reserved seat? Surely easier to just stick to reservations made.
    The example in the article is a pretty bad one, you would think having to stare at the children for the duration would shame you into moving but apparently not

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    How do you know you wouldnt end up sitting in someone else's reserved seat? Surely easier to just stick to reservations made.
    The example in the article is a pretty bad one, you would think having to stare at the children for the duration would shame you into moving but apparently not
    That's what occurred to me when reading the article.

I think that, if someone refused to move for me in the circumstances described in the article, I would just stand in their line of vision and stare at them for a prolonged period. If that didn't work, I'd feign a mobile phone conversation with my anger management therapist in which I explained the voices had returned and I was struggling to resist the temptation to do what was required to silence them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    When it’s a fairly quiet cinema and I’ve taken a different seat because someone is in mine never had anyone ask me to move as I’m in their seat.

Think we’re overthinking this. When the cinema is quiet I’m not overly fussed if I can’t sit in the seats I’ve bought, but think it’s a bit of a jobsworth attitude for those who do want to sit in their specific seats when plenty of alternatives at no detriment to the view. If it’s busy I’d ask to sit in my seat.

I travel in England, in London I have had to produce my "disability" card when asked why I was in a reserved seat. I look very fit therefore people dont realise I can not stand for long periods of time and when I take a priority seat they can be arsey. I am not registered disabled but have a disability. I fall through the gaps

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I've only had this happen to me once, and was a monumental snafu on my part, was travelling by train with the family coming home from holiday and had reserved seats.

It was a connecting train and the first train we had been on was running late so we only arrived at the station just as the announcement came over that the Edinburgh train was pulling in, so had to hot foot it across the tracks and quickly jump on. It was mobbed and took us ages to find our carriage and seats which were occupied. I spoke to the chap in one of our seats to tell him we had reserved them, to which he answered "so have we" and produced tickets to prove it.
    Fortunately there were several kind souls around that offered to move to single seats and free up seats for the kids and the Mrs to sit together which was a great help.
    The guard appeared later and I asked him how we could both have resevations for the same seats. He checked our tickets and bluntly said "you're on the wrong train mate".
    Turned out the whole network had major delays and the train we'd got on was the train in front of the one I'd booked. It just happened to arrive at the exact time the train we should have been on was due to arrive. Had to smile about it later but got rather annoyed with the grumpy conductor that said be thankful I'm not chucking you off! he was a real charmer.

When it’s a fairly quiet cinema and I’ve taken a different seat because someone is in mine never had anyone ask me to move as I’m in their seat.

Think we’re overthinking this. When the cinema is quiet I’m not overly fussed if I can’t sit in the seats I’ve bought, but think it’s a bit of a jobsworth attitude for those who do want to sit in their specific seats when plenty of alternatives at no detriment to the view. If it’s busy I’d ask to sit in my seat.
    I don't know what cinema you use. Cineworld is allocated seating for everyone regardless of how busy it is. That is different to the train story which is reserved seating for some. It should be the easiest thing in the world to sit in your allocated seat at the cinema yet some fail to manage it. I'll ask them to move every time.

The screening may or may not be busy. The seat behind or in front may be just as good a view. I don't care to find out because my seat is allocated. They have an allocated seat. And folk should stick to their ticket. Be a bit rebellious somewhere more fitting.

I understand some folk get on trains at short notice or just for short hops.

However it always mystifies me that so many people don't reserve seats on long distance journeys. It doesn't cost any extra so why wouldn't you?

Gamer IDs

I don't go to the cinema often, once or twice a year maybe. I'm with Wilson, sitting in a reserved seat on a train because there was no others is one thing. But I didn't even know people even considered sitting in any seat at the cinema but thiers. Empty or not your given a seat, you sit in it. I wouldn't go to say the playhouse and sit anywhere, I'm amazed people actually so this tbh 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I don't know what cinema you use. Cineworld is allocated seating for everyone regardless of how busy it is. That is different to the train story which is reserved seating for some. It should be the easiest thing in the world to sit in your allocated seat at the cinema yet some fail to manage it. I'll ask them to move every time.

The screening may or may not be busy. The seat behind or in front may be just as good a view. I don't care to find out because my seat is allocated. They have an allocated seat. And folk should stick to their ticket. Be a bit rebellious somewhere more fitting.
    Fair enough, think we see things differently. I’m also at cineworld, but unless it’s a new premier or at a peak time I’ve never had a problem with seating. I’ll aim for my own seat but if someone’s in it, and it’s not particularly busy I’ll just sit somewhere else. It’s easy enough to tell how much busier, or not, a screening is likely to get so never had a problem with needing to move someone from my seat or being moved out someone else’s seat.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 29-10-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

However it always mystifies me that so many people don't reserve seats on long distance journeys. It doesn't cost any extra so why wouldn't you?
    im guessing quite a lot of business people might be a factor. The only train I get is Edinburgh to York a few times a year. Sometimes it can be busy At weird times, which I assume is open returns which you can't reserve for. I know on the rare occasions I have traveled to England with work it's been on a open return. Most of the time I've travelled a Friday and Monday which might be a factor.
    I've never had or seen any bother over it on a train, everyone always acknowledge it and moves on, seems the normal response to me.

Everyone else though yes. No matter what way you book the ticket, other than on the train you have the option. Smartphone, computer, in person at the kiosks over the phone, you must always get asked do you want to reserve a seat

The best one is when the digital display seat reservation on the train is not working or it hasn’t downloaded the reservations, normally there is regular announcements to tell you to sit in your reserved seat even though it doesn’t say reserved. This is too complicated for many numpties to comprehend so a free for all ensues as they sit anywhere and cause a knock on effect. The same type of numpties who ignore their allocated seat at away games. Strangely enough a football match is probably the only environment where I would ever consider dragging some numptie out of my seat.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 29-10-2019 at 07:30 PM.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I worked in Glasgow for a while and one day got on the train, it's was empty, was early doors so settled myself down, a few minutes later I got a tap on the shoulder, it was a couple, the woman says to me you are sat in my seat, I apologised and said sorry I didn't know you could reserve seats, she goes you can't but we sit in the same seats every day, not today you don't sit in one of the other 100 free seats

I swear the next morning they got up extra early so I couldn't steal "their" seat again

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    I worked in Glasgow for a while and one day got on the train, it's was empty, was early doors so settled myself down, a few minutes later I got a tap on the shoulder, it was a couple, the woman says to me you are sat in my seat, I apologised and said sorry I didn't know you could reserve seats, she goes you can't but we sit in the same seats every day, not today you don't sit in one of the other 100 free seats

I swear the next morning they got up extra early so I couldn't steal "their" seat again
    😂 Reminds me of sitting on a bar stool in a pub in Liverpool years ago, older guy comes up to me and says “you’re sitting on my seat son”.
    I replied like a smart arse “ has it got your name on it?” To which he promptly replied “yes it has” and pointed out the brass plaque engraved with his name. It turns out the regulars and the bar staff presented it to him as he had been a customer at the bar for forty years always at the same place at the bar every night. 😂

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The best one is when the digital display seat reservation on the train is not working or it hasn’t downloaded the reservations, normally there is regular announcements to tell you to sit in your reserved seat even though it doesn’t say reserved. This is too complicated for many numpties to comprehend so a free for all ensues as they sit anywhere and cause a knock on effect. The same type of numpties who ignore their allocated seat at away games. Strangely enough a football match is probably the only environment where I would ever consider dragging some numptie out of my seat.
    The closest I've had was an incident like this when the reservation system was down but there was no announcement
    The people in "my" seat just looked blankly when I said they were in my seat but I decided not to argue and accept it was more virgin's fault.

Virgin have a seat guarantee for such incidents and so I got my money back. Unfortunately it was a particularly busy train so I ended up sitting in the gap between carriages from Darlington to Edinburgh with a stinker of a hangover.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Coming back from London a couple of years ago, there was some sort of problem with the train, and all reservations were cancelled.

There was carnage as there was a big rush of people for the train once it was announced which platform it was leaving from, and everyone just sitting anywhere they liked.

Who's fault is it if you happen to sit in a seat that might have been reserved before this announcement, as perhaps you could have sat in one that was not reserved but as there was nothing on the seats nobody knew which were or not?

This is what i believe happened here in this instance.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    im guessing quite a lot of business people might be a factor. The only train I get is Edinburgh to York a few times a year. Sometimes it can be busy At weird times, which I assume is open returns which you can't reserve for. I know on the rare occasions I have traveled to England with work it's been on a open return. Most of the time I've travelled a Friday and Monday which might be a factor.
    I've never had or seen any bother over it on a train, everyone always acknowledge it and moves on, seems the normal response to me.

Everyone else though yes. No matter what way you book the ticket, other than on the train you have the option. Smartphone, computer, in person at the kiosks over the phone, you must always get asked do you want to reserve a seat
    I get the train a lot around Scotland with work and it is booked through an agency. The tickets are always open-ended though, because my timings might change, so the agency make seat reservations but without any idea as to when I will be taking the train. They plump for a time, but leave it open travel, which means there will be a seat with a reservation card in it that usually isn’t the right time for me. Not sure there is a way around that. You sort of get used to it and learn to read the cards because you can work out which ones aren’t applicable, as many of mine have been.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Fixed advance tickets come with compulsory seat reservations which are only valid on the date, time and train shown. They are non exchangeable or refundable.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I had a situation once when a train was cancelled and two were combined into one with all seat reservations cancelled.

Became a total free for all and a group of guys wanted to go boxing because we were in 'their seats' and refused to move.

All calmed down eventually but was a bit nervy for 10 mins or so.

The best is when people buy tickets for East End Park in advance and then Dunfermline announce pay at the gate and a sit anywhere policy, guaranteed mayhem amongst the support

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Frankly, if someone said that to me, I'd correct their grammar.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!