hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 257 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting to hear Michael Stewart saying both on Saturday and on Sportscene that we need a centre half. Candidates?
    Darren Mcgregor?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    Hanlon beat far to easy in the 1st half, striker took him a run and blew him away
    Said that during the game, any centre half would’ve taken the guy out well before he got near the box if he couldn’t match him for pace. Hanlon is soft as ***** sometimes.

Interesting to hear Michael Stewart saying both on Saturday and on Sportscene that we need a centre half. Candidates?
    Yes - quite surprising - particularly after that match. The main problem on Saturday as far as I saw it was the number of balls we allowed to be played into our box - mainly from wide areas. I thought our central defenders won pretty much all of those.

I would have thought we need to be concentrating more on reducing the supply into danger areas.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    Yes - quite surprising - particularly after that match. The main problem on Saturday as far as I saw it was the number of balls we allowed to be played into our box - mainly from wide areas. I thought our central defenders won pretty much all of those.

I would have thought we need to be concentrating more on reducing the supply into danger areas.
    That’s the risk of playing the diamond formation

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    True. We need to be stronger at right back in particular if we're going to play that formation.

We need more pace at RB, Naismith is pretty slow, so is James and both stand off their opponent too much. Gray is going into the twilight of his career, si I'd be looking at a young RB with some pace and someone similar for LB( not sure how Mackie is getting on at Dundee). If Daz is going to start being more of a mentor/coach then maybe a young CH preferably a left footer to challenge Hanlon.

Personally I'd like to see us get rid of Vela and James and bring in a proper DM so sit in front of the back 4 and allow the rest to attack. Also send back Middleton, not a fan of loaning from teams we are in the same league as unless they're going to be better than what we have and he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    I wonder how long we'll continue with this shape, especially with Boyle getting fitter and Horgan on the bench. I can see Ross shifting to a 4-3-3 with a front 3 of Flo, Doidge and Boyle, with Horgan and Shaw able to come in. This gives you Hallberg, Slivka, Mallan, Allan, Newell to cover the 3 midfield spots.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I wonder how long we'll continue with this shape, especially with Boyle getting fitter and Horgan on the bench. I can see Ross shifting to a 4-3-3 with a front 3 of Flo, Doidge and Boyle, with Horgan and Shaw able to come in. This gives you Hallberg, Slivka, Mallan, Allan, Newell to cover the 3 midfield spots.
    I said similar recently. The problem is if we do that & continue to use Scotty as a #10 then we run the risk of getting monstered in midfield. I think getting our shape right for the rest of this season will be as important as having the right players.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    If we continue to play like we have in the last two games the there is no need to change it. There are some decent players not getting a game but none of them are good enough to justify us completely changing the shape of the team to accommodate them.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post

That's how I saw it.

Our centre-halves (and general defending in the middle) kept us from being in deep trouble. I don't think I've seen a game where we've been opened up out wide as often, they seemed to have someone scampering to the byeline every five minutes without necessarily feeling like any of our fullbacks had a howler - they were just exposed. In spite of getting the better of us out wide, they didn't really do much to test our keeper from what were excellent attacking positions, partly due to their wastefulness, partly due to our good defending.

The one where Hanlon was torn apart was almost funny though. He was like Benny Hill chasing the wee guy back.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    If we continue to play like we have in the last two games the there is no need to change it. There are some decent players not getting a game but none of them are good enough to justify us completely changing the shape of the team to accommodate them.
    We changed the shape of the team for the game against St Johnstone, and kept that shape on Saturday, but certainly didn't look secure defensively, We've loads of reasons to change something. Lost 24 goals in 13 league games and only once did the opposition fail to score. Having a policy of 'we'll score more than you' doesn't work.

Whatever system the manager comes up with, he needs to make the team more difficult to play against.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    We look poor at the back, Hanlon really isn’t at the races anymore and the wee man is struggling. Naismith is not the quickest either. I think it’s widely recognised that the defence is a real weak spot for us. Surprised that we haven’t pursued Ambrose really as him and Porteous would work at the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post
    We look poor at the back, Hanlon really isn’t at the races anymore and the wee man is struggling. Naismith is not the quickest either. I think it’s widely recognised that the defence is a real weak spot for us. Surprised that we haven’t pursued Ambrose really as him and Porteous would work at the back.

When was the last time Ambrose played? He'd be miles away from being match fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    That's how I saw it.

Our centre-halves (and general defending in the middle) kept us from being in deep trouble. I don't think I've seen a game where we've been opened up out wide as often, they seemed to have someone scampering to the byeline every five minutes without necessarily feeling like any of our fullbacks had a howler - they were just exposed. In spite of getting the better of us out wide, they didn't really do much to test our keeper from what were excellent attacking positions, partly due to their wastefulness, partly due to our good defending.

The one where Hanlon was torn apart was almost funny though. He was like Benny Hill chasing the wee guy back.
    Other teams will likely make more of the opportunities M'well had. We need to limit the numerous passages of play where our defending was no better than passive. Having said that M'well moved the ball about quickly when attacking from midfield, and teams won't do that all the time.

So, more work needed. All imho, but there's no doubt whatsoever that the manager is far more competent to address that than I am.

Efe would be a step back, unfortunately.
    There must be younger, fitter guys than him about.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Efe would be one of the best centre backs in the league. Naturally fit guy, appreciate he will not be match fit at moment.

He’s available for nought,

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post
    Efe would be one of the best centre backs in the league. Naturally fit guy, appreciate he will not be match fit at moment.

He’s available for nought,

Definitely take Efe back.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    He’s been training with a team in Nigeria .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Younger and fitter? Certainly.

Available to Hibs and just as good or better? Very unlikely.

Left by mutual consent!
    He would still be a step up from Hanlon who seems like he’s carrying an injury all the time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Aye there’s loads, they grow on trees.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    He would still be a step up from Hanlon who seems like he’s carrying an injury all the time.
    Hanlon had a better game than Porteous on Saturday, no reason for him to be dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    We changed the shape of the team for the game against St Johnstone, and kept that shape on Saturday, but certainly didn't look secure defensively, We've loads of reasons to change something. Lost 24 goals in 13 league games and only once did the opposition fail to score. Having a policy of 'we'll score more than you' doesn't work.

Whatever system the manager comes up with, he needs to make the team more difficult to play against.
    I wouldn’t say the shape was the cause of any insecurity. We lost two goals in those two games. At St Johnstone, Stevenson watched the boy cross it and Hanlon let the striker in front of him. Against Motherwell, Slivka let the boy wander past him and they got a break of the ball. None of that was to do with shape. In those two games, Maxwell hasn’t had much else to do.

We’ve only adopted the we’ll score more than you policy for two games and it’s worked. Prior to that we set up defensively and still couldn’t keep a clean sheet.

Whatever the shape, we need better defenders IMO.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Hanlon had a better game than Porteous on Saturday, no reason for him to be dropped.

I thought young Porteous looked anxious nervous and under pressure at times on Saturday often opting just to boot the ball as hard as he could away from danger nothing wrong with that you might say but at times he had time to play the simple ball and retain possession by passing to a colleague in space

Hopefully back to his best tomorrow

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He has still went back a lot in the past year or so. Ambrose would be a far superior alternative and he would also be good for ROs development.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Aye, around March maybe. Keep on repeating the same thing if you want but how many games has he played since he left us?

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post

We arent great at the back and i think thats due to both personel and a lack of confidence rather than shape so we may as well set ourselves up to get the best out of our attacking players which we have done the last couple of games. The players will have overcome a big hurdle mentally on saturday imo. If that was a few weeks previously they wouldve equalised before we got the 3rd to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    We arent great at the back and i think thats due to both personel and a lack of confidence rather than shape so we may as well set ourselves up to get the best out of our attacking players which we have done the last couple of games. The players will have overcome a big hurdle mentally on saturday imo. If that was a few weeks previously they wouldve equalised before we got the 3rd to kill it.
    Earlier in the season we’d have been sitting hoping for the best, doing the same thing. On Saturday, we made subs and changed the shape to help things and it made all the difference. For all Motherwell had the ball, there were three clear chances in the second half and they were all for us so we must have defended reasonably well even if it didn’t feel comfortable at the time.

Agree the players will feel better for it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Aye, around March maybe. Keep on repeating the same thing if you want but how many games has he played since he left us?
    He’s probably played as many good games as Hanlon if that helps? Or do we just persist with a busted flush became a far superior player may be unfit?

Why would it take until March? When was the last time Bogdan played since he left or before he left? I assume you think his signing is worthless until January too aye?

Ambrose has said he's been keeping fit by training with his 1st club in Nigeria. He 1st joined us on 28th Feb 2017 and hadn't played for 7 months. He played a full 90 minutes against St Mirren the very next day (we did lose 2-0 though :) and played 90 in all the subsequent matches so I wouldn't be concerned about how quickly he can get up to speed.