hibs.net Messageboard

Page 116 of 257 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 7703
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Glad to see Maxwell away, wasnt good enough for us. Wish him all the best in the future though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough EAZY-ME's Avatar
    Pity we cant get marv back

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many minutes did Milligan play?

I just checked. Milligan played 28 times for us in the league that season.

I'm not sure how many games Marvin's 654 minutes covered or whether they were all in the league, but it can't have been any less than 8 so we had a defensive midfielder in most of our games.

The lack of anyone protecting the back four this season has cost us badly. That's my opinion of what the stats tell us, of course.
    Milligan started 25 of our 38 league games, coming on as a sub in another 3.

In league games we conceded 1.04 goals per 90 mins when Milligan was on the pitch compared to 1.00 goals per 90 mins when he wasn’t. I’d argue the loss of Milligan and Bartley isn’t the sole reason we are conceding more goals.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    How many minutes did Milligan play?

I just checked. Milligan played 28 times for us in the league that season.

I'm not sure how many games Marvin's 654 minutes covered or whether they were all in the league, but it can't have been any less than 8 so we had a defensive midfielder in most of our games.

The lack of anyone protecting the back four this season has cost us badly. That's my opinion of what the stats tell us, of course.
    **** knows what Hecky was thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    He didn't have a clue! Why he was allowed to just blow the budget on so much crap needs questioned.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    He didn't have a clue! Why he was allowed to just blow the budget on so much crap needs questioned.
    I am quite sure there are a few questioning it, Ron Gordon mainly.

For me it's not necessary blowing the budget it was allowing him to spend money on players without having any clue where they would all play. The summer transfer window past shall be one to forget about that's for sure.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFlo View Post
    Never knew Slivka doesn’t want to sign a new contract. Would be sad to see him go. Very useful and underrated player.
    Slivka should be fairly easily replaced. Capable of doing well, but showed it rarely.

I think thats a fine line there. You do want your manager to bring in players he wants. But at what point do you say no. You would think that someone that had spent his whole life in those leagues in England would know better that our recruitment team. I think ultimately, Hecky just wasn't very good so we got stung by it.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Makes very little mistakes, wins most of his aerial duals and his distribution has been very good again. It’s best to watch games and focus on individuals to see how they are playing, in Paul’s case very well for a prolonged period now, other than a few little mistakes that most players at all levels make, none glaring though. Majority of our mistakes have either come from left back or right centre half, but the biggest flaw is not having the holding midfielder.

He was also one of our best players the season we went down and only injury prevented him from probably keeping us in the league. If this is his worst since then, it shows how good he has been in the years previous.
    Look I’m not a hanlon hater by any stretch, but to call his recent form terrific is just not true. He has been excellent for us over the last few years, but looks to have regressed a fair bit this season imo. Hopefully he rediscovers the form we know he can play at, but lets not pretend he’s having a good season. Same goes for stevenson, FWIW.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Milligan started 25 of our 38 league games, coming on as a sub in another 3.

In league games we conceded 1.04 goals per 90 mins when Milligan was on the pitch compared to 1.00 goals per 90 mins when he wasn’t. I’d argue the loss of Milligan and Bartley isn’t the sole reason we are conceding more goals.
    I agree, it's not the sole reason. I made my point badly.

Iirc, in most games under Lennon, we played with a DM. That was often Mallan as well as Milligan, and there was a lot of criticism about that on here, but at least the defence had some protection.

I don't believe that our defence has gone from a 39 goals lost unit to 65 just on ability. The set up is wrong.

It wasn't so much letting Milligan and Bartley leave that caused the problems. It was the failure to replace them.

Hopefully Jack Ross has identified this and will remedy it this month.

I agree, it's not the sole reason. I made my point badly.

Iirc, in most games under Lennon, we played with a DM. That was often Mallan as well as Milligan, and there was a lot of criticism about that on here, but at least the defence had some protection.

I don't believe that our defence has gone from a 39 goals lost unit to 65 just on ability. The set up is wrong.

It wasn't so much letting Milligan and Bartley leave that caused the problems. It was the failure to replace them.

Hopefully Jack Ross has identified this and will remedy it this month.
    Moving to 3 at the back earlier in the season would have helped us stabilise the defence and negate the lack of a proper DM, but we never did that and the defence was left exposed.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    Glad to see Maxwell away, wasnt good enough for us. Wish him all the best in the future though.
    Agreed! He played far too many games for us with Marciano and Bogdan waiting in reserve. Shocking really.

Anyway, glad we have 2 component goalkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Worst since relegation when he was injured and we likely would have stayed up had he been fit. Hmmm
    Hanlon has been off the pace since the start of 2019 imho?,thought he was beginning to turn a corner when JR came in, but wasn't great at tannadice GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Again, I agree with what you say. Although I still think the defence hasn’t particularly covered itself in glory for large parts of this season, despite the mitigation of what’s in front of them, or rather lack off.

My more general point was that for as long as we’ve had that back 4 (and they have served us well), even when they have had a proper midfield in front of them, they’ve always had a bit of a soft underbelly and dropped far too many points in the last 5 years because of that. If we’re to get to the level of consistently challenging Aberdeen for 3rd some difficult, and probably unpopular, decisions will need to be made during the rebuild.
    Have we really lost too many goals and dropped too many points over the past 5 years?

During that time we’ve had a decent crack at the Championship, won the cup, won the championship, finished 4th then 5th in the league. It’s not a bad end product and these players have been regulars throughout that time.

Any number of avoidable goals is too many but I think it is too easy to highlight mistakes made by defenders and go overboard with criticism of them. Giving goals away is an occupational hazard for them.

Quote Originally Posted by KingFlo View Post
    Never knew Slivka doesn’t want to sign a new contract. Would be sad to see him go. Very useful and underrated player.
    Based on what? He has had over two years to hold down a place in what everyone now thinks is a weak midfield and failed to do so.

Left by mutual consent!
    Because the people in charge thought he was the right choice. I want every manager backed fully we employ its only after the event you will know if mistake.

Dundee fans twitter page thinks mackie is back at hibs

Everyone has 20/20 vision after the fact.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Have we really lost too many goals and dropped too many points over the past 5 years?

During that time we’ve had a decent crack at the Championship, won the cup, won the championship, finished 4th then 5th in the league. It’s not a bad end product and these players have been regulars throughout that time.

Any number of avoidable goals is too many but I think it is too easy to highlight mistakes made by defenders and go overboard with criticism of them. Giving goals away is an occupational hazard for them.
    It is but with each season they all get older and slower etc etc. I do not question Hanlon prior to this season as been terrific and of course made mistakes in his time. I feel this term him and a few others have been making more than I would be comfortable with in terms of it being an occupational hazard, I would say its been bad position and bad judgement on his and others part at times during the 90.

I know not Hanlon per say but that 3rd Rangers goal at Easter Rd earlier in season was a disgrace and quite typical of the season thus far. All defenders have had quite a poor season unfortunately
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 22-01-2020 at 02:30 PM.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Just saying this the other day. Absolutely crazy

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    He’s injured

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Good if true. We need competition at left back.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    It is but with each season they all get older and slower etc etc. I do not question Hanlon prior to this season as been terrific and of course made mistakes in his time. I feel this term him and a few others have been making more than I would be comfortable with in terms of it being an occupational hazard, I would say its been bad position and bad judgement on his and others part at times during the 90.

I know not Hanlon per say but that 3rd Rangers goal at Easter Rd earlier in season was a disgrace and quite typical of the season thus far. All defenders have had quite a poor season unfortunately
    It’s all about opinions and I’m not about to start saying that as a team our defending has been acceptable, but that back 4 have become accustomed to receiving a level of protection that just isn’t there right now. If they continue to toil when we’ve signed a decent DM or come up with a formation that prevents us being doubled up on down the wings then I might agree.

McGregor is the oldest and is the only one who is at an age where you would expect to see a decline. The others are all at an age that should see them at their peak.

If so,good move,I rate the guy ,defensive cover,not as good defensively,yet, as Lewis but certainly has more about him going forward.

Midfield also an option,think his time at Dundee will be very valuable in his development and for Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Look I’m not a hanlon hater by any stretch, but to call his recent form terrific is just not true. He has been excellent for us over the last few years, but looks to have regressed a fair bit this season imo. Hopefully he rediscovers the form we know he can play at, but lets not pretend he’s having a good season. Same goes for stevenson, FWIW.
    Depends what your basing your argument on. He still wins majority of his aerial duals, his positional sense in the main is very good, and his tackling is good. His distribution is still very good and he’s the one player in our back line that I would trust to find a long diagonal, or come out from the back with the ball.

Yes he makes mistakes, every single player does, however he is fairly solid in regards to making very few errors and has cut any real howlers that he may have made out of his game.

Over the piece attackers against us are going to have some success due to us having no protection to our back 4, the fact our back line limits their chances says a lot about their abilities.

Someone above just said he was very poor on Sunday, which is laughable really. There’s a reason Dundee United barely got a sniff and that’s without our defence having any protection.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Good if true. We need competition at left back.
    I can’t see Mackie giving any competition at LB.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I can’t see Mackie giving any competition at LB.
    Mcpake said last week he was very happy with Mackie and he got MOM in the recent derby, this loan will be beneficial for his development and if he comes back raring to go, all the better.

Hasn’t he been playing in midfield for Dundee?

Hasn’t he been playing in midfield for Dundee?
    LB and LM

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    One instinctive rash hand ball at Ibrox and Hecky threw this young laddie under a bus

Mackie will have benefited from his time at Dundee and will have learned loads

Deserves another chance

Let Jack Ross decide