hibs.net Messageboard

Page 146 of 257 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,380 of 7703
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has it not got a bit of the David Van Zanten’s about it.

Our aim is Europe and for me, our signings should reflect that. Paul McGinn as a signing with an eye towards Europe?
    Paul.McGinn is a steady eddie honest pro. Championship to bottom 6 player. Auxilliary squad player and probably no better than what we have as cover on the bench.

I know there is a need to buff out the squad but this feels pointless when we have options at right back already.

Presumably when Jack Ross was talking aboug 2 signings Paul McGinn wasn't one of them and he would be cheap cover in addition - like a Neil Eardsley (sp) Nellom or that ginger full back fella for Hearts that never got a game

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Are you sure he did?
    Managed him at Dumbarton and he signed a pre contract for St Mirren when Ross was manager however I don’t think he played a game for him there as Ross went to Sunderland.

Fwiw reading twitter etc St Mirren fans really same to rate him, seen a couple of comments about how consistent he is and he’s been there best player the past 18 months and would be sorry to see him leave.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Van Zanten left St Mirren 3 years before Ross joined.
    I think he was talking about McGinn not Van Zanten.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21sMay View Post
    Donuts like you are the reason I don't post info very often .
    Why is it attention seeking pish ??
    “oh look at me look at me I know inside information but no I’m not going to tell anyone”

If that’s not attention seeking pish I don’t know what is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    That's where i got confused that he was meaning Ross signed Van Zanten

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Managed him at Dumbarton and he signed a pre contract for St Mirren when Ross was manager however I don’t think he played a game for him there as Ross went to Sunderland.

Fwiw reading twitter etc St Mirren fans really same to rate him, seen a couple of comments about how consistent he is and he’s been there best player the past 18 months and would be sorry to see him leave.
    I honestly think he is a cracking shout for us if he fancies coming to us.as good a signing in there that knows the setup we could get in.

@hibs.net private member
    Definitely not convinced that the answer to our aging, creaking defence is a 29 year right back who's been kicking about the lower rungs of the SPL for years.

I'm also getting a bit tired of the "he can play in multiple positions" chat. I understand for a club our size a bit flexibility is useful but we seem to have a few players like James and Whittaker who end up covering positions but just not very well.

McGinn doesn't strike me as the kind of player a club chasing 3rd l/4th next season should be making.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Is Nisbet looking like it might happen? Already see impact of Boyce at Hearts. We need a ruthless goal scorer. Kamberi is finished for me - far too inconsistent and not the same player.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Yep I was

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Has it not got a bit of the David Van Zanten’s about it.

Our aim is Europe and for me, our signings should reflect that. Paul McGinn as a signing with an eye towards Europe?
    I think we never intended to have to buy a right back but Ross is realising that the ones we have are either pretty dreadful, injured or injury prone. It’s a stop gap signing till the summer when the problem can be properly addressed. A more expensive option might have taken budget away from the other signings we want to make.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Paul.McGinn is a steady eddie honest pro. Championship to bottom 6 player. Auxilliary squad player and probably no better than what we have as cover on the bench.

I know there is a need to buff out the squad but this feels pointless when we have options at right back already.

Presumably when Jack Ross was talking aboug 2 signings Paul McGinn wasn't one of them and he would be cheap cover in addition - like a Neil Eardsley (sp) Nellom or that ginger full back fella for Hearts that never got a game
    What options do we have at right back?

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I think we never intended to have to buy a right back but Ross is realising that the ones we have are either pretty dreadful, injured or injury prone. It’s a stop gap signing till the summer when the problem can be properly addressed. A more expensive option might have taken budget away from the other signings we want to make.

McGinn leaving St Mirren for a 6 month contract or something? Don’t understand this stop gap until the summer. He will get at least a 2 year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by craigiehibs View Post
    yip. you are right and b prepared for a surprise!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    McGinn leaving St Mirren for a 6 month contract or something? Don’t understand this stop gap until the summer. He will get at least a 2 year contract.
    He’ll get 18 months

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I don’t think signing Paul McGinn with affect any other business we do. He is in the very affordable bracket and will be back up to Gray mostly (hopefully). He’s better than James.

Agree seems a sensible low cost signing and a player the manager knows assume James will leave in this window. Good athletic player like his attitude.

A lot of st Mirren fans not happy he’s leaving. Saying would be a big loss

What options do we have at right back?

Gray, James, Whittaker, 3 at the back and Boyle wing back. Block. There's options.

If you want to say none of those options are good enough becasue of injury/age/ability then that would be reason to sign a quality right back. It's no reason to add Paul McGinn as another squad member - just my opinion

Gray, James, Whittaker, 3 at the back and Boyle wing back. Block. There's options.

If you want to say none of those options are good enough becasue of injury/age/ability then that would be reason to sign a quality right back. It's no reason to add Paul McGinn as another squad member - just my opinion
    Hopefully it means James will leave

Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    A lot of st Mirren fans not happy he’s leaving. Saying would be a big loss
    Aye maybe for St.Mirren but he’s not going to improve Hibs

Agree. Paul McGin won’t offer anything that those currently on the books can’t. And I’m one that thinks the position does need improved, but in the summer with a proper long term option.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    For what it's worth I've liked the look of Paul McGinn any time he's played against us, but I'm not sure he'd be a priority for me this week.

But if the long term plan is to sign Naismith then it makes sense to bring in McGinn for 6 months? He’s better than James and Whittaker and we are lucky if Gray plays 1 game in 4 these days. I’m all for spending money and going for quality but on this occasion when the club have plans to recruit in other areas and were not expecting to sign a right back this makes sense.
    If all we do this week is sign McGinn then don’t worry, I will be doing plenty moaning myself.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Aye maybe for St.Mirren but he’s not going to improve Hibs
    People said the same about David Gray signing ..that worked out alright ..McGinn was actively being considered a season ago..and our manager who knows him well clearly thinks differently. Will trust this judgement

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    People said the same about David Gray signing ..that worked out alright ..McGinn was actively being considered a season ago..and our manager who knows him well clearly thinks differently. Will trust this judgement
    I personally think he’s poor and not a player we should even be looking at, just my opinion

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I was trying to be positive when I thought it was the brother that was quite good and once played for Watford.

I really hope we’ve got some other more ambitious and exciting signings lined up for the rest of the window.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Is Nisbet looking like it might happen? Already see impact of Boyce at Hearts. We need a ruthless goal scorer. Kamberi is finished for me - far too inconsistent and not the same player.
    Eager for this to happen.
    Really like the sound of the boy. Hopefully anyway.

No one seems to know on here anyway!

I do wonder what this surprising signing was going to be as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I was trying to be positive when I thought it was the brother that was quite good and once played for Watford.

I really hope we’ve got some other more ambitious and exciting signings lined up for the rest of the window.
    It feels very like a signing from years gone by for me. Not the type that is going to kick you on and really improve you. Like Naismith in that regard for me. Hopefully we have some more exciting moves lined up.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    This is our fifth right back of the season. Some achievement.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Announce Kevin Nisbet!

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Announce Kevin Nisbet!
    Hope or knowledge?