hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Murray

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He would have been 19/20 years old at the time, same age as Murray is now.
    Fair enough.

GO'C got a handful of appearances here and there up until about Christmas, then in January he got a string of appearances/matches and everyone was behind him and desperate from him to score which he eventually did toward the end of the month and he went on to finish that season fairly well.

He didn't score that many for the next couple of seasons, but the whole team was getting stick as we were in our darkest Blobby period (and playing some of the worst football that we'd seen in a long time).

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    O’Connor was average in a Williamson team that lumped it long to him because he was big.

As soon as Mowbray came in we saw a different player. I’ve always thought O’Connor was a bit under appreciated - he’d knock his pan in for 90 minutes doing all the donkey work and Riordan would produce a couple of smart finishes and be motm. In a team full of very good players O’Connor was up there with the best of them.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think we need to start asking some more questions of the club in this area pretty soon.

We seem to get a lot of players who get close to the first team, never really get a chance then end up being released in their early twenties.
    Younger players have to prove that they are good enough. Coaches will always try and choose the best team based on what they see in training and friendly games.

Coaches are under pressure to hit the ground running and we never seem to get one that lasts more than 2 seasons, so young players never get a chance to develop. New manager comes in and wants/needs experienced players asap to get his team moving up the table, youngsters are then ignored while average older players are preferred, so the merry go round continues.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Coaches are under pressure to hit the ground running and we never seem to get one that lasts more than 2 seasons, so young players never get a chance to develop. New manager comes in and wants/needs experienced players asap to get his team moving up the table, youngsters are then ignored while average older players are preferred, so the merry go round continues.
    The coaches are there to win games. They pick the team they think will be best equipped to do that. The youngsters aren't ignored, if they're good enough to get a place in the team, then they'll be picked.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    The coaches are there to win games. They pick the team they think will be best equipped to do that. The youngsters aren't ignored, if they're good enough to get a place in the team, then they'll be picked.
    Simply untrue. Proven by our previous managers signing lower league guff rather than our young guys a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    Simply untrue. Proven by our previous managers signing lower league guff rather than our young guys a chance.

Like Doidge? Newell ? Boyle? McGinn ?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'd start him against ICT in place of Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    No thanks.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Let me think about that one.....

No!

Lads almost 21, he needs to be starting first team games already.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Who have we not gave a chance to because of lower league guff?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    Lads almost 21, he needs to be starting first team games already.
    File him under the same category as Shaw. Doesn't get enough game time to improve, but arguably doesn't do enough when he does get game time.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Like Doidge? Newell ? Boyle? McGinn ?
    Like James, Maxwell, Middleton, Slivka and that’s just this season.

I can give you examples from previous seasons if you like?

Can you quantify those names with the players they kept out the team?

You can add Horgan to that list as well. Gets a free ride coz he scored a couple at tynie.

You can add Horgan to that list as well. Gets a free ride coz he scored a couple at tynie.

I’m not Horgans biggest fan but with 10 goals in 73 games and a good number of assists I think it’s easy to see why he’s been ahead of Murray in the pecking order.

Also, what young players have been kept out the team by James and Maxwell? You can’t pick a crap goalie and say they’re keeping a young attacking midfielder out the team?
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 24-02-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Slivka has shown a lot more than Murray. And I very much like Murray and want him to do well. Slivka is clearly a better player.

I’m not Horgans biggest fan but with 10 goals in 73 games and a good number of assists I think it’s easy to see why he’s been ahead of Murray in the pecking order.

Testimonial Due

What 'lower league' did we sign Maxwell, Middleton & Slivka from??

Like Easty said above, managers are paid to win matches by putting what they see as the best players out on the park. I dont think any of our previous managers can be accused of purposely trying to block young players just for the sake of it.

We have changed managers so frequently that none have seen young players coming through.It’s only natural that a new manager will go for experienced players who he thinks can”do a job” rather than risking youngsters who may do him out of a job.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

Also, what young players have been kept out the team by James and Maxwell? You can’t pick a crap goalie and say they’re keeping a young attacking midfielder out the team?
    Horgan has scored at a rate of a goal every 4.8 matches and Murray a goal every 2.5 matches. Both are around an assist every 3.7 games with Murray very slightly ahead. Murray, at least on stats, is worth a try for a good few games even as sub. Allan has been poor for weeks, Horgan very inconsistent and Mallan injured. I like Murray but if he can't get game time then he needs to be developed elsewhere.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Horgan has scored at a rate of a goal every 4.8 matches and Murray a goal every 2.5 matches. Both are around an assist every 3.7 games with Murray very slightly ahead. Murray, at least on stats, is worth a try for a good few games even as sub. Allan has been poor for weeks, Horgan very inconsistent and Mallan injured. I like Murray but if he can't get game time then he needs to be developed elsewhere.
    Not bad when you consider that £7 million Ryan Kent hasn't had an assist in the league in over a year.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Not bad when you consider that £7 million Ryan Kent hasn't had an assist in the league in over a year.
    Yeah but it's Horgan that's ***** don't forget!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Murray as in Fraser Murray? He has a goal every 2.5 matches?

I must have missed all of these competitive goals.

@hibs.net private member
    Is Murray's versatility hampering him? He comes on but never consistently in the same position, I'm not even sure what his strongest position is.

He seems like a wide midfielder to me i.e. wide of a 4 rather than a wide forward. Where did he play in the development team?

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Murray as in Fraser Murray? He has a goal every 2.5 matches?

I must have missed all of these competitive goals.
    I think it’s probably when you add up all his minutes and goals and then divide those minutes by 90 to get full games if that makes sense. So if someone makes 9x 10 minute sub appearances and score 2 then they’re scoring 2 goals a game.

The thing with Murray is that his goal every 2.5 games means he’s played about 7 and a half first team games using that sort of logic. The majority of they “games” will probably be against lower league teams where as Horgans will be much more heavily weighted towards being against teams at Scottish Premiership level.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I think it’s probably when you add up all his minutes and goals and then divide those minutes by 90 to get full games if that makes sense. So if someone makes 9x 10 minute sub appearances and score 2 then they’re scoring 2 goals a game.

The thing with Murray is that his goal every 2.5 games means he’s played about 7 and a half first team games using that sort of logic. The majority of they “games” will probably be against lower league teams where as Horgans will be much more heavily weighted towards being against teams at Scottish Premiership level.
    Yep, I used 90 minutes of game time and you are right that Fraser's goals are all in cup games. Horgan has 6 goals in the top league and 4 in cup games. Looking again I have made an arse of it as the stats included dev games in the challenge cup, albeit against Elgin and the like. He is a goal every 3 games for the first team so still very good. He is only likely to score and assist when he gets on the pitch and most of his appearances have been against lesser opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I trust you Billy.

I like his set piece deliveries and has a good first touch.

For me he has to put himself about a bit more, in some of the games he comes on in I think he is easily bullied
    Agreed. His set pieces are very good and he does seem to have bulked up a bit. He needs to learn how to use that added muscle though. Far too easily nudged out of things.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Agreed. His set pieces are very good and he does seem to have bulked up a bit. He needs to learn how to use that added muscle though. Far too easily nudged out of things.
    I think it’s more of a mental thing than anything. He’s coming up for 21 but he’s still like a wee laddie on the pitch. Neat and tidy on the ball, has more to offer I think, but needs to show a bit more belief, arrogance or whatever you want to call it. I just think he’s a bit too timid.