hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraser Murray

I'm not going to blame Murray for a poor attempt at a header, because that's not one of his strengths.

I'll partly blame Mallan for starting to close their player down, then deciding to stop because it was Vela's man, and I'll mostly blame Vela for doing nothing at all.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Porto has been brought in to it because it seems he is immune from criticism and people seeing him as a 1st team player rather than a youngster. If it was Porto who had misjudged that header there would be a list of 10 players in front of him being blamed for costing us 2 points. I think Porto has huge potential but he’s miles away from being the finished article. He’s still to rash and since his return has cost us 3/4 goals that I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course he’s not the finished article mate it’s his second actual season of professional football, he doesn’t get stick because everyone can see he does more than enough to make up for it. Cannot see how your logic goes to blaming one of our best and youngest players. Players like Vela, Newell etc get more stick than Porteous because they make a lot more mistakes, don’t try as hard and don’t do enough to warrant being let off of criticism. He’s not immune from criticism it’s just strange to have a go at a player who’s actually playing well

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDavidGray View Post
    Of course he’s not the finished article mate it’s his second actual season of professional football, he doesn’t get stick because everyone can see he does more than enough to make up for it. Cannot see how your logic goes to blaming one of our best and youngest players. Players like Vela, Newell etc get more stick than Porteous because they make a lot more mistakes, don’t try as hard and don’t do enough to warrant being let off of criticism. He’s not immune from criticism it’s just strange to have a go at a player who’s actually playing well
    I’m not having a pop at him. He’s been one of the better players. The point I’m making is that he cost us a goal at Aberdeen and not a dicky was said. Porto and Murray are the least of our worries right now. There’s a list as long as my arm who should be getting it stinking before they 2

Jack Ross saying he’s been really impressed with Fraser Murray, wonder if we’ll start seeing him get more of a run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Jack Ross saying he’s been really impressed with Fraser Murray, wonder if we’ll start seeing him get more of a run out.
    I thought he might have got a shot when newall wasn't in the team on Wednesday. Murray needs to start making the bench as a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    I thought he might have got a shot when newall wasn't in the team on Wednesday. Murray needs to start making the bench as a minimum.
    Agree that he needs to start cementing his place. Bit of an odd one how years ago he came in and looked very food then wasn’t seen again for a while. End of last season he again came into the team and got a great assist v Aberdeen, expected him to kick on this season but has hardly touched a ball.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Think Hibs thought Newell would make it, played really well on Tuesday, maybe in contention for a place in the squad today

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think Hibs thought Newell would make it, played really well on Tuesday, maybe in contention for a place in the squad today
    I hope so Billy, needs some game time if he's to make it at ER and I'd love him to make it.

I hope so Billy, needs some game time if he's to make it at ER and I'd love him to make it.
    Think we all would, was in great form on Tuesday

Think we all would, was in great form on Tuesday
    Think he's done well most games he played, wrongly accused of not going for a ball when he misjudged it and been very good in most reserve games, needs to be given a chance.

The problem I think Murray has it that it's hard to work out what type of player he is, where he fits into a team and in what formation. I remember John Collins having the same sort of issue with Dean Shiels.

He's not a striker, he's not a central midfielder, he's not a winger. I suppose I was starting to think the same about Newell and he really seems to have come into his own as part of the diamond.

Murray's biggest problem is that the way we play he's probably most naturally suited to playing behind the strikers and there is some serious competition for just one place in there.

It's a shame because I really like him as a player, he's clearly got an awful lot about him (as did Shiels) but I just don't know where and how we accommodate him. And some of the criticism he has received for very minor errors has been ridiculous.

I do think that like Shaw he really needs to be playing regularly very soon, he's not going to improve much further playing in the reserves and only getting very fleeting appearances in our first team.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The problem I think Murray has it that it's hard to work out what type of player he is, where he fits into a team and in what formation. I remember John Collins having the same sort of issue with Dean Shiels.

He's not a striker, he's not a central midfielder, he's not a winger. I suppose I was starting to think the same about Newell and he really seems to have come into his own as part of the diamond.

Murray's biggest problem is that the way we play he's probably most naturally suited to playing behind the strikers and there is some serious competition for just one place in there.

It's a shame because I really like him as a player, he's clearly got an awful lot about him (as did Shiels) but I just don't know where and how we accommodate him. And some of the criticism he has received for very minor errors has been ridiculous.

I do think that like Shaw he really needs to be playing regularly very soon, he's not going to improve much further playing in the reserves and only getting very fleeting appearances in our first team.
    Would you describe him as a left sided inside forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Would you describe him as a left sided inside forward?
    Possibly.

What formation do you need to play to accommodate one of those?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Bit of an odd one how years ago he came in and looked very food then wasn’t seen again for a while.
    Let's hope he still has the appetite to make it after a long period of having nothing on his plate.

What is everyone’s opinion of him?

A lot of managers seem to rate him and see him daily in training but for me I’m just not convinced.

When he first came on the scene I thought he looked very good but now when I see him come on he seems to not make much of an impact. He’s neat and tidy on the ball but just doesn’t seem to do much else.

I’m not convinced that he’ll beat an opposition player with pace, strength or in a one v one scenario.

He is quite good at receiving the ball on the half turn but for me if he wants to play the number 10 role he needs to be a much bigger threat.

Interesting he slotted back into centre mid yesterday when Slivka went off, albeit was when we went all out attack but could we see him there in future?

I see him as similar to Danny Handling in a way, a lot of people are desperate for him to excel and be a first team regular but we’re not seeing much.

21 in May so he’s not the youngest, desperately needs a spell on loan playing first team football consistently to get some confidence.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 23-02-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Thought he was thoroughly meh on Saturday. Needs more games, but not convinced he will get them at easter road. Think he'll make a career out of football, but not necessarily at any higher level.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    We already have five pages of debate on the ability and future of Fraser Murray, do we really need any more at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    We already have five pages of debate on the ability and future of Fraser Murray, do we really need any more at the moment?
    Sorry, never realised there was a limit on how much we can discuss players.

Fwiw most the previous pages are discussing when he made a mistake which cost a goal

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    I rate fraser highly and think hes been hard done by. He's been unfortunate with injuries and hecky not playing him after saying how highly rated he was. Still think with some decent game time he can be a good player

When newell got injured I actually thought Fraser would have been a better direct replacement than Lewis in that formation. Lewis is a solid defender but the good thing about 3 at the back is allowing the wingbacks to be very attacking which isn't Lewis strength

He should start on Friday night v Inverness

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Thought he was thoroughly meh on Saturday. Needs more games, but not convinced he will get them at easter road. Think he'll make a career out of football, but not necessarily at any higher level.
    Thoroughly meh? Had one shot at goal during his 30mins which was more than most in the team managed. If he was meh, let's hear your pearls of wisdom on everyone else. Should be riveting.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Thought he looked good when he came on, nothing meh for me

Coaching Staff
    He should start on Friday night v Inverness
    Not for me Billy - play our strongest 11 and Fraser isn't even in our strongest 16. Needs a loan in the Championship or a lower league down south next season and regular game time to really develop. Nowhere near first team (SPFL) level in my opinion. Was really surprised we never loaned him in the window as he has talent (great technically) but needs to grow physically and play against men, not boys.

I want to rate him but I don’t. Last time I saw him was when he came on against Dundee U at home in the cup replay, some nice touches but didn’t track back, no really press one energy.

I hope he proves me wrong though!

@hibs.net private member
    Think a loan would benefit him massively.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Showed promise when he first broke through, was badly managed (Should have either been given game time or sent on loan), and hasn’t improved much in the last 2 years as a result. Sadly, don’t think he’ll ever make it above being a squad player getting the odd 20 mins here and there.

Think he’s an example of the wider questions about our youth set up and pathway to the first team over the last decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Thoroughly meh? Had one shot at goal during his 30mins which was more than most in the team managed. If he was meh, let's hear your pearls of wisdom on everyone else. Should be riveting.
    If an attacking midfielder having a shot easily saved by the goalkeeper means they played well, then I guess Scott Allan did too?

All I'm saying is I didn't think he was a standout either way. Didn't hugely impress me, didn't think he was terrible.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    Think a loan would benefit him massively.
    Agreed. He's still young but the times I've seen him he hasn't looked an SPL level player.

A season in the Championship would be ideal for him. We have loads of central midfielders and right now he's behind them all imo.

I'll stick my neck out and say he won't make it at Hibs.