hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shocking News

Blog Entries
    Just catching a bit about it on the news, I think I heard them mentioning the Mafia.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just catching a bit about it on the news, I think I heard them mentioning the Mafia.
    Not sure about Mafia, but this tragic case is just probably a fraction of these sort of people trafficking movements!

I wonder what went wrong with this journey, verses, probably many that happen day after day

Been a few incidents in Edinburgh of Chinese people being here illegally, so this isnít going to stop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Not sure about Mafia, but this tragic case is just probably a fraction of these sort of people trafficking movements!

I wonder what went wrong with this journey, verses, probably many that happen day after day

Been a few incidents in Edinburgh of Chinese people being here illegally, so this isnít going to stop
    The word Mafia was definitely mentioned in the report, but to be honest, I didnít hear everything that was said ........ maybe they were referring to the Bulgarian mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post

I think i read human trafficking is 3rd in global crime after drugs and guns.
    I could only imagine the freezer was mistakenly turned on or the interior door that pulls down to create a seperate temperature zone was up and they didn't know how to pull it down or even see it in the dark.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Looks like a breakthrough in identifying the victims

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50185788
    They tried to bury us, they didn't realise we were seeds.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Bit on BBC News, that they think some of the victims maybe Vietnamese. Seemingly paid £30,000 to get to the U.K.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    What a tragedy; 39 dead is just horrendous. No doubt the full picture of events will emerge, but that's such a loss of life. The fact they were trying to enter the country illegally shouldn't affect our judgement. Anyone so desperate to travel across the world must be trying to escape a dire situation.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Anyone so desperate to travel across the world must be trying to escape a dire situation.
    That's my thought process when I hear of these events. Things like this or crossing the channel in small unstable rafts with infants. How bad their life must be to take these risks, in the hope of finding what you and I would easily take for granted.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    That's my thought process when I hear of these events. Things like this or crossing the channel in small unstable rafts with infants. How bad their life must be to take these risks, in the hope of finding what you and I would easily take for granted.
    Indeed. Most people will have compassion for a group of people suffocating in a lorry, but there will be some who dismiss such victims because they were trying to enter the country illegally. We must remember these people would have been trafficked, and someone is getting rich off of smuggling vulnerable people in search of a better life. They were also victims in that sense. Nobody takes the decision to try to move across the world lightly; it's dangerous, as those 39 people sadly learned.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Indeed. Most people will have compassion for a group of people suffocating in a lorry, but there will be some who dismiss such victims because they were trying to enter the country illegally. We must remember these people would have been trafficked, and someone is getting rich off of smuggling vulnerable people in search of a better life. They were also victims in that sense. Nobody takes the decision to try to move across the world lightly; it's dangerous, as those 39 people sadly learned.
    You'd have to have a heart of stone to dismiss them, even if they were travelling illegally. I quite agree, anyone who is prepared to put themselves in such a horribly vulnerable position is clearly desperate. The way these people have died is unimaginable and I find it deeply upsetting to read about, especially as we start to hear their stories from those who may have been their families.

The driver charged with 39 counts of murder, human trafficking, money laundering, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    The driver charged with 39 counts of murder, human trafficking, money laundering, etc etc
    Manslaughter rather than murder

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Sounds like he hasn't been prepared to talk.