hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Andy Murray

Andy Murray

I know there's an ongoing thread on the go but this deserves a thread of its own.

He has just won the title in Antwerp against Stan Wawrinka, coming from a set down to win in three sets.

I've actually no words to accurately describe how impressive this guy is and the way he has come back from the brink of retirement is just outstanding.

Nine months ago he could barely put his socks on without being in pain so to have come through a surgery that no other singles player has ever returned from is just incredible and not only that but to now be back winning titles again so soon is just remarkable.

He truly is a special athlete.

Welcome back Andy.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know there's an ongoing thread on the go but this deserves a thread of its own.

He has just won the title in Antwerp against Stan Wawrinka, coming from a set down to win in three sets.

I've actually no words to accurately describe how impressive this guy is and the way he has come back from the brink of retirement is just outstanding.

Nine months ago he could barely put his socks on without being in pain so to have come through a surgery that no other singles player has ever returned from is just incredible and not only that but to now be back winning titles again so soon is just remarkable.

He truly is a special athlete.

Welcome back Andy.
    Just posted similar on the other thread. What he's done today is right up there with the year's greatest sporting achievements and arguably as impressive as any of his title wins pre-op.

The real British number 1.

Left by mutual consent!
    Andy skippering the Davis Cup team next month. Always good to watch him play in that, especiallly when he and Jamie played doubles together though I imagine Andy will only be playing the singles, especially as Skupski is Jamie's regular doubles partner these days:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/50125113

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    The real British number 1.
    He’s probably already back to world top 10 level or thereabouts. If his body holds up he could have another tilt at the slams next year. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    He’s probably already back to world top 10 level or thereabouts. If his body holds up he could have another tilt at the slams next year. Amazing.
    I would personally hesitate from making any predictions on Grand Slam success for now.

As remarkable as his return from injury has been so far, it's a different ball game trying to win 7 best of 5 sets matches in the space of 2 weeks. The demands on the body are so much greater in a Grand Slam than they are in the other regular tour events.

Having said that, I think Murray's determination to succeed, his will to win and his natural ability should mean that winning a Grand Slam again in the future cannot be ruled out.

I just think that considering he'll be 33 next year might limit his chances although he has pretty much had 2 years off from playing so that may help him in a way in trying to prolong his career.

I just watched an old US Open semifinal between Mcenroe and Connors. What a couple of complete pricks they were.
    Disgusting behaviour towards umpires and even ball boys.