hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We went 3-5-2 because Gray got injured and it allowed us to play Boyle as a wingback, which he thrived at. Boyle didn't play much under Stubbs due to his liking of the diamond and 3-5-2, making Boyle as a winger surplus.

You can get the best from Allan using these 2 tactics but if we play 4-3-3/4-5-1 then you need 2 hard working midfielders playing alongside to do the donkey work. Both Allan and Mallan do try to get stuck in but are both naturally attacking players and tend to forget to track their men, not really their problem it's just who they are, it's hard to fit both into the team.

If we play 4-3-3 and play both Allan and Mallan, then you need 2 wide men who can also put a shift in and a more dominant worker as DM. Again we'll have the conundrum of wide players in a 3-5-2 or similar, we do not have the wingbacks good enough in the attacking sense to make it work properly, Lewis for all his hard work it too defensive minded, Gray looks too injury prone, Whittaker is past it and James is slower than a week in jail.
    I'd go as far as to say that if you play both Allan and Mallan, you'll get the odd defence-splitting pass or howitzer shot to fawn over but it doesn't matter who you play alongside them, you'd better get used to the fact that you're going to lose the midfield battle so regularly that you're going to finish in the bottom 3.
    Last edited by Smartie; 20-10-2019 at 10:07 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'd go as far as to say that if you play both Allan and Mallan, you'll get the odd defence-splitting pass or howitzer shot to fawn over but it doesn't matter who you play alongside them, you'd better get used to the fact that you're going to lose the midfield battle so regularly that you're going to finish in the bottom 3.

That was the gist of the last paragraph, 2 very similar players, you play one or the other.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    The swagger didn't just leaving with McGinn, McGeouch, Ambrose, etc leaving.

It was our mentality, our DNA - to go out and dominate games and score goals first and foremost. The players believed in themselves, had resilience and a will to win. We were hard to beat and had a never say die attitude.

That is what is missing now. Heckingbottom has created a team with a weak mentality. Players who can't handle the pressure of playing for Hibs and he seems incapable of getting them to perform.

You can see the difference in performances from the likes of Hanlon, Stevenson, Marciano, Horgan and others. Their form has dropped off a cliff and they look a shadow of their former selves, that is purely down to the manager.

I wonder if the hierarchy believe PH will develop further as a coach and be given time. That's the only reason I can think that he's not been relieved of his duties yet. Can you imagine if we hadn't beaten st Mirren??

Left by mutual consent!
    the manager has bored it out of everyone. Keep the ball and pass it sideways, and repeat until the opposition score a set play.

Allans recent interview is pretty telling. He is talks about how under Lennon they thought they could beat everyone. In fact it was expected. Its hard to have any swagger when you never win. We look totally lost of any confidence and have a manager who doesnt seem able to install it. The minute we go ahead we look scared that we will lose one. Its a shambles really.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    The swagger didn't just leaving with McGinn, McGeouch, Ambrose, etc leaving.

It was our mentality, our DNA - to go out and dominate games and score goals first and foremost. The players believed in themselves, had resilience and a will to win. We were hard to beat and had a never say die attitude.

That is what is missing now. Heckingbottom has created a team with a weak mentality. Players who can't handle the pressure of playing for Hibs and he seems incapable of getting them to perform.

You can see the difference in performances from the likes of Hanlon, Stevenson, Marciano, Horgan and others. Their form has dropped off a cliff and they look a shadow of their former selves, that is purely down to the manager.

I wonder if the hierarchy believe PH will develop further as a coach and be given time. That's the only reason I can think that he's not been relieved of his duties yet. Can you imagine if we hadn't beaten st Mirren??
    Johnny that's a nice list of players and I disagree it very much left with these players.

We had arguably the best midfield in scotland they all left to be replaced by what we have now average.

But players react to good managers and there is no spark with this guy coupled with upstairs being well know one knows what's going on because it's silence.

Everyone has had enough action is required very quickly or they will loose the young fans who will quickly move onto to something else to fill their Saturday's

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Allans recent interview is pretty telling. He is talks about how under Lennon they thought they could beat everyone. In fact it was expected. Its hard to have any swagger when you never win. We look totally lost of any confidence and have a manager who doesnt seem able to install it. The minute we go ahead we look scared that we will lose one. Its a shambles really.
    It's got relegation written all over it and as a club, we are wandering straight in to it. Before long it will be too late to fix.

I have some sympathy for the manager. I don't see many leaders on the park. Tactics or not, if we had good players and leaders, when we went a goal up we would go and get a 2nd goal. It's about time the Scott Allans, Paul Hanlons etc stepped up and got their fingers out. A lot of supposedly good players hiding at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    It's got relegation written all over it and as a club, we are wandering straight in to it. Before long it will be too late to fix.

I have some sympathy for the manager. I don't see many leaders on the park. Tactics or not, if we had good players and leaders, when we went a goal up we would go and get a 2nd goal. It's about time the Scott Allans, Paul Hanlons etc stepped up and got their fingers out. A lot of supposedly good players hiding at the moment.
    I too have felt sorry for the manager, especially with all the personal stuff. But its just not working. Agree re lack of leaders, but he has brought in half a team without even one of them looking like a leader. Also released Milligan and Bartley. He really hasn't helped himself at all.

Its getting to the stage where they need to change the manager soon or we are going down. Would anyone trust this team to be able to grind out results in a relegation battle!?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    It left with Lennon.
    Aye we were swaggering about the place taking pumpings off Kilmarnock and Motherwell right enough.