hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (Hamilton 19 10 19)

Once again, frustration is my overwhelming emotion after watching Hibs fail once again to hold on to a deserved lead. By a long way we were the better team in the first half and for long spells in the second but games are only won if you score more goals than the opposition and against a stuffy Hamilton team we couldn’t achieve that. Also, I thought John Beaton had a shocker of a match although I’m not offering that up as any more than an observation as he wasn’t the reason we didn’t secure the three points.

During the week we’d been given the impression that Scott Allan was a fitness doubt but as it turned out he was stripped although had to make do with a seat on the bench. That meant that the only change to the starting eleven was Joe Newell starting ahead of Allan, a fact that drew a fair few groans once the team became known. As it turned out, Newell was excellent and although he didn’t last the full ninety, he wins my man of the match award.

Hibs started well with Hallberg and Vela sitting deep which allowed Mallan more freedom to join in the attack. Doidge was on his own up front and Horgan was tasked with the job of latching on to his headed flicks, a task that he struggled to achieve on a regular basis. Even when he did gain possession he was wasteful with his efforts at both bearing down on goal and bringing team mates into play. It was Horgan that missed the first real chance of the game and it was a howler of a miss. Good interplay between Newell and Doidge saw the former fire a ball across the six yard box. It was a perfectly weighted and accurate cross which Horgan managed to slice wide of the far post with the goal gaping. Last time out, Doidge was pilloried widely for missing opportunities at Pittodrie but believe me this was a far bigger ‘sitter’ than any of those attributed to Doidge.

Hamilton were offering little in an attacking sense and only really looked dangerous from set plays but Maxwell in the Hibs goal had little to do. Around the twenty minute mark, Hibs’ pressure paid off when a cross from the left was partially cleared by Easton but his header fell to Mallan who was just inside the angle of the eighteen yard box on the right. Stevie hit it first time and it whizzed past the home goalie and into the far corner of the net.

It was pretty much all Hibs but the cutting edge was missing and so a second goal was not forthcoming. I have to mention here that two particularly nasty tackles by the Hamilton midfielder Cogic were dealt with very leniently by John Beaton. For the first, Cogic had both feet off the ground when he clattered a Hibs player and although a free kick was awarded it seemed to give license to the same player to leave his foot in without punishment. The second tackle saw Vela poleaxed by Cogic but no free kick was awarded, just a throw in to Hibs. Eventually the offender was booked, for another late challenge but to be honest, by that time, he should no longer have been on the pitch.

Watching from the stand, Heckingbottom must have enjoyed the fact that Hibs were bossing the game but I’d wager that like a fair number of fans he would have been concerned at not being at least two goals in front.

The second half was about fifteen minutes old when the home side was awarded a penalty. Hibs had struggled to clear the ball out of the box and as Alston made to shoot, Mallan tried to get in a tackle and caught the Hamilton man. I kid you not when I say that Beaton was pointing at the spot almost before Alston had hit the deck. There was contact but I feel Alston was looking to go down. Mind you, having said that, had there been a similar incident at the other end I’d likely have been screaming for a penalty. Maxwell guessed right but Cunningham’s penalty was fiercely struck and the game was tied.

Too often in this position, Hibs have gone into their shell and for a wee while Hamilton enjoyed better possession but I recall only one save of note by Maxwell and eventually, Hibs worked their way back into the game.

Around twenty minutes from time, Scott Allan replaced Horgan and tried to find that elusive pass to open up the Hamilton defence but in truth he didn’t get on the ball often enough for me. A tiring Newell was then replaced by Fraser Murray who took up the left wing position and although his arrival was welcome I felt the game was screaming out for the introduction of Kamberi as Hibs tried to go for a clinching goal. Accies wasted time at every opportunity and that went unpunished although the same offence had earned Maxwell a yellow card at the time of the penalty. Speaking of penalties, there was a late claim by Hibs when Doidge was barged off the ball as he raced into the box but referee Beaton saw nothing wrong with the challenge.

With no more than a couple of minutes left, Heckingbottom finally introduced Kamberi into the fray and the big fella was soon stinging the fingertips of the Hamilton goalie. Hibs were throwing everything at their hosts and thought they’d secured a late winner when Doidge fired home but the goal was disallowed and as it was at the other end of the park from me I’ve no idea what offence had been committed. Mallan was prompting and probing with passes that gave both James and Kamberi sights of goal but neither could score and when the final whistle blew there was some booing, presumably by those that shared my frustration as the overall Hibs performance did not deserve that kind of judgement.

The players

Maxwell – As I alluded to earlier, Maxwell had little to do in the ninety minutes and was a tad unlucky at the penalty having guessed the right way the ball would be going.

James – I like this laddie and I thought he played well enough today. He is very comfortable on the ball and offers decent width when he gets forward.

Porteous – Outstanding display from the young man and he was just pipped by Joe Newell for my man of the match award. I love the way Ryan gives it tight to his team mates when he thinks they are lacking. He might be young but he’s no shrinking violet.

Hanlon – Once again Paul was guilty too often in giving away possession by poor passes out of defence. I also thought he struggled with the physicality of George Oakley when the Hamilton man came off the bench in the second half.

Stevenson – This was possibly the poorest I’ve seen Lewis in a while and going forward, little went right for him. On the plus side he defended well enough and made two vital interceptions in the second half to stop a Hamilton player breaking through.

Horgan – Hecky was watching from the stand and so I can’t really believe that he thought Horgan should stay on the park for seventy odd minutes. He missed an absolute sitter, made a hash of numerous attempts to cross the ball and was anonymous for long periods. Quite why he gets a start is a complete mystery to me.

Mallan – I know he has his detractors but I thought he was very good today and it’s no coincidence that he was playing much higher up the park. Took his goal really but, sadly was suckered at the penalty before finishing the game strongly by forcing Hibs forward.

Vela – Here’s a guy that’s always there when you need someone to pass too but other than that I struggle to remember anything positive of note although he seems to be creating a partnership with Hallberg.

Hallberg – Works tirelessly and as I’ve said he is starting to look like a decent part of a midfield pairing.

Newell – Just a few weeks ago I lambasted him for not getting involved enough in games but today he well and truly made me eat my words. Just about everything positive in an attacking sense involved Newell who merited the ovation he got when he was subbed.

Doidge – Last time out I was bemoaning the fact that his headed flick on’s were wasted because nobody was there to take possession of the ball. Today, he won various headers but most of them fell to Horgan and that ended the move.

Allan – I guess that like many other Hibs fans I expected Scott to shine from the word go. It’s not happened yet and in truth I’ve been a bit disappointed with his form. I remain confident however that his good form will return sooner rather than later.

Murray – I like Fraser and feel he has a lot to offer but today his placing out wide didn’t allow him enough of an opportunity to influence the game.

Kamberi – It was criminal only giving him a handful of minutes but he did well in that short spell, testing Fon Williams with a fine right foot strike.

Hecky – You know what, I actually feel for the guy a wee bit tonight. He must be every bit as frustrated as me as he watched his men dominate the opposition and yet fail to put them away.

The fans – Very quiet today although the singing section did its best.

Beaton – Infuriated me with this sub-standard performance although, come to think of it, that maybe is John Beaton’s standard.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Thanks again

Love these reports.

Appreciated, as always.

@hibs.net private member
    In my opinion James is not really that good. Stands off his man and let's allot of crosses into the box.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Can’t disagree John. Doidge getting clattered looked a penalty but well away from me getting a good look at it.
    Wee Lewis must be glad there’s now a Doidge thread instead of a Stevenson thread every week The wee man was uncharacteristically awful today.
    Worst moment of the game though and the thing that sticks most in my craw amidst all the outpouring of repetitive grief in these pages is that Horgan miss. Unfathomable.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Mallan – I know he has his detractors but I thought he was very good today and it’s no coincidence that he was playing much higher up the park. Took his goal really but, sadly was suckered at the penalty before finishing the game strongly by forcing Hibs forward.

Stonewall penalty

https://twitter.com/HibsLadiesSupp/s...090176515?s=20
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Opinions opinions. I normally agree with 99% of your reports JC but I thought James was awful today, never offered anything going forward and gave the ball away several times. Doidge also woeful. Mallan man of the match by the length of Easter Road.

I'm worried about Lewis. Looked miles off it today. Again.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    In my opinion James is not really that good. Stands off his man and let's allot of crosses into the box.
    I agree 100%.....I don't rate James at all......his lack of movement after he passes and overhitting crosses into the box totally frustrate me......hurry back DG please. I agree with the OP though......as someone who didn't want him near the team today Joe Newell had an excellent game and he got my MOM as well

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Yeah, you said as much at the game. Mind you, I'm surprised you seen it as every time I spoke to my brother I caught you out of the side of my eye and you invariably had your head down looking at your phone
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Opinions opinions. I normally agree with 99% of your reports JC but I thought James was awful today, never offered anything going forward and gave the ball away several times. Doidge also woeful. Mallan man of the match by the length of Easter Road.

I'm worried about Lewis. Looked miles off it today. Again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post
    I agree 100%.....I don't rate James at all......his lack of movement after he passes and overhitting crosses into the box totally frustrate me......hurry back DG please. I agree with the OP though......as someone who didn't want him near the team today Joe Newell had an excellent game and he got my MOM as well
    Differing opinions are healthy
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post
    Gray is 6-8 weeks away yet.

Why did we even sign Naismith 🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

Hopefully James gets offloaded to a league 1 club in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Yeah, you said as much at the game. Mind you, I'm surprised you seen it as every time I spoke to my brother I caught you out of the side of my eye and you invariably had your head down looking at your phone

Thats how good the game was to be honest. Bored watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Thats how good the game was to be honest. Bored watching it.
    This is how it feels

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    I agree. Not impressed on what I've seen so far.

No idea how we never beat them today, they’re an absolutely brutal side. We did play well and at times did play good stuff, is that down to us or Hamilton being brutal? Probably the latter.

Newell was brilliant. Great power running forward with the ball, nice touches and pops up in really good areas. The run for Horgans chance was outstanding, started it in his own half, worked two 1-2’s before laying it on a plate. Promising.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Always enjoy reading your summaries JC but I wouldn't have any sympathy for the current manager. He is being paid well and can't cut it. He can't set up his own team correctly and is vastly underperforming with a squad that is far better than the results we are getting. The fact he can't do his job shouldn't merit pity. Only a P45.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Always enjoy reading your summaries JC but I wouldn't have any sympathy for the current manager. He is being paid well and can't cut it. He can't set up his own team correctly and is vastly underperforming with a squad that is far better than the results we are getting. The fact he can't do his job shouldn't merit pity. Only a P45.
    The biggest positive today was the quality of Joe Newell.
    Contrast his play and 1st half cross for Horgan to the rubbish Horgan produces from his wing.
    Newells quality has been apparent in the small amount of game time he has had previously but this was the 1st time he has had an influence on the game which is a big change.

Those giving James a hard time should remember he is only 23 and this is his 1st season at a big team in another country.
    A little patience is required.

The biggest negative for me yesterday was that I was bored at the match during the second half.
    That was partly due to Hibs attacking the goal at the other end of the pitch, far away from where we were sat.
    However, of more concern is undoubted fact that Hibs have become a boring team under Heckingbottom.
    The guy has sucked the life out of the players and the supporters.

I believe we have good players for our league and the manager has been a hindrance to their performances.
    The strength of the bench today was massive and Kamberi should have been on after an hour.

As soon as the team gets ahead they sit back instead of pushing for the next goal.
    The fear in the players was very evident during the Hearts game and that I believe it comes from the manager.
    He has stemmed our loss of goals but his set up with an isolated striker is preventing us scoring goals of our own.
    Sadly I think he is done.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 20-10-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Thanks Jonnyboy

Good report Johnny. Maxwell, Porteous, Mallan and Newell the only passmarks for me. The rest were simply not good enough with Horgan and Stevenson particularly bad. I'm struggling to understand why the manager hasn't been sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Good report Johnny. Maxwell, Porteous, Mallan and Newell the only passmarks for me. The rest were simply not good enough with Horgan and Stevenson particularly bad. I'm struggling to understand why the manager hasn't been sacked.
    Me too, S
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Great report as usual Jonnyboy

Invaluable

Many thanks for taking the time to post every week very much greatly appreciated

Great post, Jonnyboy.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Kamberi on with 89 mins on the clock, i just don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

Dempster must have heard the ironic cheers from the fans when Flo was called back to the bench to get stripped. Alarm bells must surely be ringing.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Makes absolutely no sense

Pathetically showing him who's boss.

Blog Entries
    Thanks John, I've drastically reduced my visits to this board but your reports remain essential reading!